Masters Running

Monday - 7/28 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

Boy would I love to give Ribs about 10-15 pounds.  He probably doesn't want that much though.

Lots of good running and racing over the weekend.

Amazingly little coverage here about the fires out in Washington.  I hope things continue to be contained and improve.

I'm finishing up a cup of coffee and then headed out for an easy 3-4 miles.  Sure is getting dark again in the mornings.  That's kind of a shame.  Wild storms here yesterday with super heavy rain, wind and hail.  Not too far from my house people had 3 inch hail.  Ours stayed about marble sized.  (I am waiting for enough light to watch out for stuff in the road.)

For all you dog lovers out there, I'll start the day with today's Speed Bump comic:

http://assets.amuniversal.com/9eee7680e86c0131797d005056a9545d

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Dave.  Happy Monday to everyone.

During the past week DW  and BIL (who are staying at the camp in Maine w/ FIL) decided it would be better to replace the boards on our deck, rather than trying to make the old ones look better.  So I finished up a pretty much non-running XTing weekend ripping up and replacing boards on a 20 x 16' deck.  After the demo and getting about 1/3 of the new down on Saturday, I set out for 6 or 7 Sunday--at 2 my Garmin gave up the ghost and I decided that I had better conserve my energy to be able to finish the rest of the deck.  I was using a LOT of non-running muscles that were making themselves known.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Morning Dave, Stumpy, and those to follow,

went out early for 6, died and did only 4.5 in the 75 deg and 100 humidity.  good thing i did because we're now having torrential downpours which really should be in wash and calif. just heard thunder also.

to quote jay, have a greta day!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

2 recovery miles for me this morning, followed by 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Happy Monday to you all.

The numbers of friends who lost their homes is adding up too fast. Last night we found out that 3 other friends in the Methow lost their homes. It is so sad.

I was determined today to fit in at least 10 miles, so at Jay o'clock I left the house for a lovely run. 10 slow miles, three with my RP. Lovely way to start a Monday if you ask me.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I'm sorry about those homes Mariposai. What a sad thing.

Stumpy, that's a good wake up call on the core work you have to stick with if you run.  I bet the deck looks good though.

jlynne, yes those were the others at Medtronic. Fortunate One ran with me a considerable way and really gave me a huge lift.  Positive comments and so on. I will never forget that day.

Thanks for the comments on the pics and the race.  Today they had the results in the paper and it was the first time ever that both the Saint and I were in the news for first place finishes.

3.4 slow recovery miles today. So happy that's over! Full flex workout at the Y.  Taking Hudson to get his senior pics taken this afternoon.  I worked all through the weekend to get a project done for a client, so now I have the afternoon off today.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

My goodness, this place is so much fun, EXCEPT, strike that, I'm so insensitive.  Nancy, really really sad news that your friends have lost their homes.  At least they have you.    ANd btw, I picked up a postcard this weekend from a lovely bakery place that features gluten free baked goods that are exquisite and thought, "I will get this for Nancy"....without thinking I don't actually see you on a daily basis.   The name of the bakery of course is Mariposai.    If you want a little lift, I bet if you google it and san fran, it will come up for you.

I haven't even read the weekend dailies, which was the plan before I checked in, but I had to log on to say the Speedbump comic is beyond the beyond funny.  I love it that the mail carrier is a cat, too.  It reminds me of the movie "Up" where the dogs all interrupt themselves with "squirrel!" whenever they see one.  And made me think of Frank, when we took him to "Prairie Dog Town" in Abilene, TX while there for the marathon.  That was when we had just gotten him, so he wasn't too far in time from being on the track.   He couldn't believe there were such places in the world!

24 hours ago, I was running the SF Marathon, and now I'm at work.  Red eye flights are great when they work!

Will read the weekend news and catch up later.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Posie - Such devastation is so hard to believe.  My continued prayers to your and the surrounding communities.

Amy - Am looking forward to a marathon report.

Love the comic!

45 min of core/ST this a.m.  I can tell I've been a slacker in that department.  Oof!  Did hamstring rollouts (?) with the stability ball.  My butt is going to feel it tomorrow for certain.

Not sure how many of you know about the Hardrock 100 Endurance Run.  It's run in the San Juan Mtns. in Colorado.  There's a 48-hr cut off, and a combined elevation change of over 67,000 feet  It was run the same weekend I did Mt. Hood.  The average finish time is 41 hrs.  Kilian Jornet freaking killed it out there, winning the race is 22:41.33. Holy Freaking Cow!    Here's a really good article.  I swear, the guy is not human.  An absolutely incredible athlete.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Aamos, wow, back at work after a red eye flight?  You couldn't just take the day off???  Congrats on yet another AG win at the SF marathon!

Dave, I love the cartoon!

Nancy, I'm really sorry about your friends who lost their homes. Hope they're all safe.

I did a 27 mile trail run yesterday with a local ultra group, up in the Indian Peaks Wilderness.  We crossed the divide twice - over Pawnee Pass at 12,550 ft, down the west side to 8,800 ft, then back up and over Buchanan Pass at 11,844 ft.  Start and finish was at 10,500 ft.  Here's a picture coming back down from Buchanan Pass on the east side.  Took about 9.5 hours total, including stops to filter water and take pictures!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Nancy, i'm sorry about the devastation and loss in your community.

Wildfires are a huge fear here as well and this week we not only have 100+ temps, but off and on chances of thunder and dry lightening.  After a couple summers of huge wildfires that literally choked us out (we left for the coast to breath clean air!), we are really hoping and praying we are spared from major devastation this summer. 

great photo Carolyn!

Congrats to Ribs and The Saint on your race also!

I had a couple of athlete friends do well in their respective competitions this weekend. David's XC coach ran Eugene and finished in 3:46 and got his first BQ. And my former boss in Seattle competed in the IM in Whistler. His first IM and 3 yrs ago he was battling Stage 4 cancer. I think I saw his time at 14 something.

I don't think I've read dailies for about a week now, so I know I'm missing some news that I should comment on. Sorry.

Tammy

BlazinCajun

...I did a 27 mile trail run yesterday with a local ultra group,...

Let's go for a run with a local running group. Can we add thousands of feet in elevation? Can I bring my water filter so that I can have some spring water? I only have ten hours today, can I, can I? Oh the Joy of Running - Nice.

Great to see our runners bringing home the hardware this weekend: AamosY, The Saint, and Ribs

Sad news about folks losing their homes to wildland fire. Unfortunately , most of these large fires need either a weather event, major inversion, or lack of fuel for the fire personnel to gain control. Pray for rain.

Stumpy - I totally can relate to your convenient cross training. Been digging around our foundation to about 4" below the top of the footers to seal and drain excess water from the soil. Gravity should help filling it back in.

No runs today following a good run on Sunday.

Andrew
                        ------------------
                        God, my Lord, is my strength;
                        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                        and enables me to go upon the heights.
                        Hb 3:19

evanflein

Hey Amy! I ran the SF marathon last year! Saw Bhearn as I was turning onto the bridge, he was coming back (figures). That is a beautiful course, I stopped and took lots of pictures. Congrats on your finish!

Mariposai, I agree with Andrew in that it's going to take a major change in conditions to get that under control. So sad... I wish I could send you some of our rain, we might break another monthly rainfall total again this summer!

Carolyn, what do you guys use for O2 up there?? Beautiful country, just a little hard to breathe! Can't believe I'll be there (well, not there, but in CO) in less than a month.

And in preparation for that, I ran 20.3 miles yesterday in about 60° temps and cloudy skies. Probably one of the best long runs I've had since last year! Steady non-stop pace for the first 11 miles or so, then just a couple stops to check out the new resurfaced trail (I hope they don't pave it!!) behind campus and for traffic. Figured this day would be a good time to try the unsupported run idea, and didn't take anything with me but my phone. Probably could've used some Nuun or Gatorade or something at about mile 16 or 17 as the last few miles were a little rough, but not "wheels came off" rough (sorry, Mike). Overall pace was 8:19 and I was really happy with that being a week after the Gold Discovery Run, and a day after 2 1/2 hours of blueberry picking!

Today will be an easy 4 or 5, just to get over 200 miles for July.

Sayhey! MM#130

Nancy--they drop the 'i' at the end: Mariposa Baking

They say they picked the name Mariposa because "many people who adopt a gluten free lifestyle transform their lives through food" and the butterfly is a perfect metaphor for such a transformation.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Speaking of dogs, other than someone <<<(that would be me)>>> inadvertently letting the dog get loose and my out-of-town DD finding out about it when one of her friends texted her that Klondike was posted in the lost-and-found section on Facebook, DGS still think still thinks I’m the “best papo in the world” and loudly announces, along with a thumbs up, to everyone in sight, and further, when he helps me successfuly pick out an item DD needs at the grocery store, “GOOD JOB PAPO.”  Some of the comments back from the locals are almost as good, e.g. one crooning back at the seafood section, “salmon enchanted evening, . . .”

ps - with all-you-can-eat salmon bakes after the marathon up here, I didn’t see anyone with skinny bicepts. Smile

ETA ps deezie – it’ll take a while but the FMM was worth an rr in many ways so I’ll try to get some help on the picture part from divechief and mariposai after returning to civilization,  . . . if some pictures of DGS, Hopeful Falls, whales, etc.  are  okay.  
                              Pps – holly/wild, ziggy/mariposai – I can’t run like you anymore but your rr’s and posts make it seem like it's coming true all over again.  Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ribs, great pictures of you and The Saint.  Twocat, another nice unusual distance race.  steve, I trust you had/are having a good visit with your dad and other family members.  mari, my heart goes out to your friends, and others, who have lost therir homes.

Nice long runs for enke, Mike, fatozzig, mari, wild (holy carp, 27 miles of trails with big elevation change), and evan.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was some wind.  I didn't sleep well last night and felt tired but managed 6 miles at an 11:16 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS