Masters Running

4 On The Fourth RR (Read 138 times)

coastwalker

This is yet another race that I decided to enter just a few days before the race. We had plans for the 4th, but an early start time let me sneak the race in. It rained for the 1/2 hour drive up to York, Maine, but then it gradually fizzled out, and it was dry but muggy at York HS at the scheduled 8am start. I saw some friends before the race, and had a nice chat with the race announcer (about everything from the economy and entry fees, t-shirts, and the road race series I help orchestrate.) The race was delayed by about 10 minutes while the scorers got all the entrant info into their computers (registration had been very orderly and without a last-minute rush, so I don't really understand this delay). So I just relaxed and stayed lose. When we finally got under way, it was slow going: There were about 950 people in the race, and the start down one of the school driveways wasn't wide enough to enable us to get up to speed quickly. So the first 1/2 mile or so felt frustratingly slow. But we finally spread out and got sorted out, and were able to get up to speed. The course has a few rolling hills in the first mile and a half or so, and then flattens out for the rest of the race. The middle miles are on Long Sands Rd, which goes along York Beach, and there were some cooling off-shore breezes along that stretch that felt great. It was overcast and not all that hot out (mid-60s), but a little relief from the mugginess was welcome. I did my first mile in 10:43, followed by a 10:23 second mile. A runner had passed me in the first mile, but I noticed that I was starting to creep back up on her in mile two. I got to about 10 yards behind her, and was hanging there for a while - too long, actually. I missed my 3-mi split because it was at a water stop, and I was focused on grabbing a cup and didn't hit my watch. I drank a bit of the water, and poured the rest over my head, which felt great! I caught and passed my rabbit just past the water stop, and just tried to keep my pace steady and strong. I made the turn into the high school drive, and she caught and passed me with about 50 yards to go. The announcer, as I approached and crossed the finish line, called out my name (as he does for many of the finishers) and told folks how hard racewalking really is, which was nice of him. I finished in 43:09, for a 10:47 pace. It was a few seconds/mile faster than my 5K a couple of weeks ago, so I felt good about that. But I'm going to have to get my pace back down to the lower 10s before I can really feel good about my racing. Thanks for reading, and Happy Independence Day! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice racing Jay even if you aren't yet at your feeling great pace. I am so glad the announcer let folks know how tough race waking is....I admire your ability and I bet you make it look fluid and easy. It is so tough. The York Beach area is so nice and this sounds like it was a good race---good sized, but not gigantic--although sorry about the delay at the start. Anyway, nice way to celebrate the 4th of July! Karin
      Henrun

Another good race for you Jay. You'll get that time down eventually. You seem to be racing more lately and that should help.
        huskydon

Jay, Congrats on a good effort on the 4th. I still don't understand how you walkers can walk so fast, walking 10:47/ per mile seems impossible. Perhaps you could have shaved some time from the beginning if it weren't so crowded. Yes, very nice of the announcer to acknowledge the difficulty of your sport. All I know is that on those occasions when I run into one, they are the ones who seem to be working and concentrating the hardest. Thanks for the report. huskydon
            I was thinking of you as I was watching the 20k finishers yesterday at my race. A few race walkers were coming through just as I got to my vantage point and 3 of them were really battling it out. It just goes to prove that in every race there are hundreds of other races going on within it. Congrats on a good race and good luck in your quest for the lower 10s. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice effort, Coast. Good description of the course.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

I would love to do a race with you one day and have you give me some technique pointers. I got down to the low 13's and that was as good as I can do without some guidance. The concentration to walk like that is very difficult I found. Nice work. How many people did you beat? Spareribs
                coastwalker

Hi all, Thanks for your responses. I had a good time on Friday, and am looking forward to more races over the summer and into the fall. Ribs, I would also enjoy walking a race with you! In the interim, here is a good slo-mo video from You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHsDkeWbhOM&feature=related) that shows good racewalking technique. Notice that the stride isn't long. The key to fast racewalking is quick turnover, rather than a long stride. Pulling back hard with your arms on every backswing, using your hips to help speed your leg forward, and kicking off at the end of every stride will help increase your stride rate. That DOES take concentration, and I also lose my focus (and my turnover rate) too often. You should also look at some full-speed racewalking videos to see just how fast the turnover rate is for the guys who are knocking off 6-minute miles. In answer to your other question, there were about 100 people (out of just under 800 finishers) who finished the race behind me on Friday. Joanne Dow, a NH racewalker who is just a bit (yeah, right!) faster than me earned a spot on the US Olympic team on Sunday afternoon. Go Joanne!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

DickyG

Absolutely awesome, Jay...I couldn't hit that pace in a zillion years. A few weeks ago when I was walking due to my groin injury, you gave me some pointers and even so, I couldn't get within 3 minutes of your pace...large kudos to you. DickyG