Masters Running

Run, White, and Blue Friday the 4th Daily (Read 41 times)

Tramps

C-R—glad your wife is doing well after surgery.  How’s the horse?

Erika—nice hill route!  That’s a serious one in the middle.

The upside of Arthur: cooler temps, lower humidity, and a very nice breeze.

EZ 5

Hope you get to enjoy a great long weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

C-R—glad your wife is doing well after surgery.  How’s the horse?

I'm sorry, C-R...and C-R's wife--but that's funny...and I laughed...out loud, even....

King of PhotoShop

That was very kind of you Twocat, but I have to say that down here in bbq land, I've learned a fair amount about smoking meats and how to do ribs, brisket etc., but as I have seen your recipes, and the skill you put into your cooking, I'm forced to concede you are the better chef.

Now I have these two slabs of pork belly, each being a bit smaller than a pork tenderloin, and what am I going to do with them?  (And no, I'm not packing them in dry ice and shipping them to you!)  But I mentioned to my wife during our run this morning that she should call my son and say, "Come for dinner over the weekend and your father wants to give you those pork bellies he cooked."  That will get his attention.

We did a slow 3-miler this morning, because we're going to race a fiveK at the Dallas Running Club tomorrow. Should be fun.  Spareribs

Dave59

I had my best run in a few years.  Thanks to the nicest July 4th weather I can remember my 10k this morning seemed effortless.  My hope was to stay under a 10:00 minute pace.  Even better would be to stay under 9:30 pace.

Garmin: 9:12, 8:59, 9:03, 8:58, 9:01, 8:35, 2:09 ---- 56:00  (Garmin was 6.27 @ 8:56 pace)

Official pace for a 10k (6.2) is 9:02.

8 minutes off my CR of 3 years ago, but I am very comfortable living with a 9:00 pace for a 10k.

It was in the mid to upper 50's, low humidity, sunny, and a nice breeze.  The whole race felt good and I probably could have run quicker but I didn't know if I would run out of energy at the end of I pushed too hard.  This was my 11th time at this race and the 7th at the 10k.  (There is also a 5k & 20k).  There is a hill at the 4 mile mark where I usually am dead and sweating so hard I look like I just got out of the pool.  This year, the hills were fun.  I ran steady up, and I pushed going down like in my old XC days.

I feel like I could go run some more if I wanted, but I think I will cut the grass instead.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and Happy Independence Day!

C-R, I'm also very glad your DW's surgery went well.

Erika, those hills would scare the socks off me! They look way too steep (up and down) to be able to racewalk without pain.

Anytime Ribs and Twocat want to have a cook-off, I'll be happy to be a judge!

We had a window of dry weather this morning so, despite having gone for a sproinky workout yesterday and the two gin and tonics I enjoyed last night, I decided this morning to drive up to York, ME for the annual '4 On The Fourth' road race. When I got there (6:50), it was muggy and sunny. By race time (8:00), some clouds were starting to move in, cooling things down just a scootch. The first quarter mile or so of the race was down a narrow drive, and it was slow going as everyone tried to get themselves sorted out - I, along with a lot of other folks, had to weave around slower walkers and runners who started too close to the front of the pack. Early in mile #3, we turned onto a road along the beach, and there was a delightful, cooling breeze off the ocean that put a little spring back in my stride. Unfortunately, the breeze didn't last all that long, and we were back in the muggy soon enough. About a 10th or 2 from the finish, a woman runner lost her patriotic headband as she passed me. She chose to leave it, but I decided to get it for her. So I bent down in mid-stride and grabbed it and then lost it. So I had to stop and take a step back to get it - so annoying!  Someone on the sideline said now I had to catch her, and that is what I tried to do. But she had too much speed for the short distance we had left, so I just handed it to her after we finished. I finished in 42:21 (10:34 pace), and was the first racewalker. They sped up the award ceremony because of the approaching dark clouds and the breeze that was kicking up. I got 2 tickets to a local animal & amusement park, and a nice glass trophy. It was a nice, spur-of-the-moment start to the day.

Have a greta Independence Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Great racing Dave and Jay!

I'm sorry, C-R...and C-R's wife--but that's funny...and I laughed...out loud, even....

It wasn't a joke, seriously.  If a horse is spooked enough to harm a handler other bad things can happen.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Just popped back in here to congratulate Dave on his breakthrough run.  Great job.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Dave and Jay--great racing!  Dave--in my post that disappeared the other night--I commented on how well you've been running lately.  I'm not surprised by your performance, today.

Okay--DW is already yelling at me....we're driving...someplace to spend time with...somebody for an overnight thing.  Can't wait...

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice racing, Dave and Jay!   I raced a local 12k called the Scar Top Mountain Run.  It was a PR, since this was my first 12k!  It was mostly on hilly dirt roads, and I managed a 10:31 average pace - not bad for walking some of the steeper hills!  The elevation gain and loss was something like 1000 ft.  I saw several friends from the Colorado Masters group, so it was a fun morning.

Happy 4th, friends!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Fourth of July  
                      Starting from the 25 yd dashes for kids in those days (when my younger sister would beat me), Fourth of July’s have always been for running even when I wasn’t a runner. After becoming one, they became even more synonymous with running with annual tests up-and-down Mt. Marathon south of erikaland
                      Down here though, it’s been the annual midnight Firecracker 5000 around the Seattle Center up the street from Divechief’s place.  However, not that I’m getting too lazy to stay up that late anymore, i opted for a smaller community’s morning Yankee Doodle 5K/10K this year..

For the first time in my running life in many multi-event races as a non-competitive fitness exerciser, I almost opted me for the shorter distance being offered but came to my fitness senses and entered the 10Kafter all.  Good thing too as got a pleasant surprise with a steady 11min/mile+ pace. In fact, kind of felt sorry for the later-starting 5K’ers we were catching up to the last mile as they were only getting half as much exercise.

Happy Fourth. No parades, patriotic radio, etc. here but big musical fireworks at 10pm.
                      ps tramps - we used to pretend the same concern about the condition of the poor dirt and rocks or whatever it was scraping our kids’ knees or bumping their foreheads. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Had a beautiful morning ride with my club at dawn today and am going to sneak out of work a little early to take DD17 (formerly known as The Filly) out for a little time in a kayak.  That should be lots of fun.  Smile

I have discovered one of the real costs of heavy triathlon training.  I may be in awesome condition, but I don't cook (much) and the garden has gone to pieces.  Hamish-the-dog is out there supervising the gardener now.  I think he's having more fun than she is.

Happy Fourth to everyone south of the border!

I was still in Thursday - go figure???

Jlynne – another hug your direction

Starr – if you lived here I would take you to Walden Pond for a swim – we would bring Amy and let her rant about the desecration of the pond over our post-swim picnic. There would be brownies in the picnic basket

Dave – nice hill workout

Denise – I LOVE Old Orchard Beach

Oh yeah - and I ran today!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

C-R

Hey all.

Thanks twocat and everyone else for thinking about DW. DW is doing really well. Surgeon was excellent and horse is ok too. Just a one time odd event.

Glad you guys got to grill. Nothing better.

Ran a 4.5 race today and Patrick finished 20 seconds ahead of me. I was closing but.... So 4.5 @ 29:10 for me plus a great amount of fun.

Way to go Dave and Jay!

Off for s'mores.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

SteveP

Nice 10 Dave!

Stoopid phone ate the rest of the posts.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Steve--you look like you're flying, but Tag looks like he's trying to decide which post to visit.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.