Masters Running

RR -- Lake Johanna 4 Mile Race (Read 254 times)

HermosaBoy

Well, this was a race that I had a lot of fun at last year. VERY competitive, but it was the first 4 miler I had ever run and I finished 10th overall. Came into it this year with high hopes -- until the snow started falling! Let's just say the footing was less than stellar... Got up and did a two mile shake out run with the dog 3 hours before the race. Lots of snow on the ground -- not a good sign. Hopefully they will do a better job of clearing the roads at the race site -- yeah right! Showed up for the race and Brian and I ran the last mile of the course out and back as a warm-up. Bad sign -- the worst hill on the course is snow covered. Oh well, SHUT UP and RUN!!! Head to the car to lose the soggy running pants and put on the racing shoes. It's about 25 out, a little snow falling and soggy everywhere. I bow to the weather and wear a long sleeve shirt under my singlet. Other than that, typical race wear. So, Brian and I do some strides and head to the line. Taking inventory of who is there, I see that several of the speedsters from last year aren't there -- assessment? Go for top 5. On your marks -- go! Everyone up front (except Brian) slips on the snow. Brian had found a dry spot and jumped into the lead. He always gets out ahead of me!!! So, there's a pack of 6 or 7 of us up front as we go through the finish chute (did I mention you had to run through that right after the start?) -- kid of demoralizing. As we round a curve, another runner (A runner the same age as me who usually beats me) decides to make a move. Brian hesitates for a moment, but I go with him. Not trying to pass him, just stay in contact. Then Brian and another pass me and I am in 4th. Feeling fairly good -- just trying to stay smooth. I can't win the race now, just gotta keep turning them over. Come through the first mile in 5:46 according to my garmin (they call out 5:37 as I come by Confused ). Sharp (90 degree) left turn onto SNOW COVERED roads -- stay upright! Brian looks wonderful! He has probably a 10 yard lead on 2nd now and around 30 on me. Usually this is where I would start to reel him in. Is it going to happen today? I DON'T THINK SO! All the training that he did while I was recovering from surgery is paying off. He is strong and running smoothly. It's kind of fun to watch the race in front of me. I look back to see that 5th place will probably not get me -- time to start racing the people in front of me. Mile 2 comes through in 5:53 according to my garmin (I think they called out 11:30 as I passed Confused ). Whatever! Brian looks to be out of reach. 2nd and 3rd? Is possible!!! At around 2.5 miles we take a left and start heading to the worst hills of the course. I am in touch with 3rd and 2nd is probably 20 yards ahead -- I push hard as we hit the first hill! I move into 3rd and he encourages me by saying "Stay Strong." I grunt something like I'll try. Not sure if I moved too soon, but it just felt right. 2nd is still a ways away, but now we are going uphill. One of the first quality workouts I did after surgery was uphills -- I usually move on these. Big grin As we go up the hill, I do close the gap, but soon realize that it's going to be tough to beat him, but I will do what I can. 4th place? I can still hear him! Mile 3 comes in 5:56? Didn't seem like I backed off, but the footing was a bit rough. Oh well, that one's over! Focus on finishing strong -- got a little downhill to enjoy! It winds a bit at this point and I am TRYING to run the tangents -- unfortunately, the roads are still open and there is traffic. Get sprayed a few times by cars. Angry I close a bit on 2nd, but realize that if it comes down to a kick, I have no chance! I look back and feel confident that 3rd is mine. Run strong through the finish! Mile 4 comes in at 5:31 for a 23:07 finish time. 12 seconds faster than last year on CARPY roads and no speedwork. I am one happy hermosaboy! Afterwards, I win a pairof Asics running gloves in the post race drawing. Smile Overall, I think MN RED accounted for 25% of the total field today and I am going to venture that almost all of us PRd. A good day to run I would say! Thanks for reading!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveP

Rob, that's a heck of a run. The strength you have in races is amazing. Thanks for the RR. How are the boys????

SteveP

Impressive race, hermosa. With nasty conditions you still get 3rd OA and a PR. Congratulations. TomS
        HermosaBoy

Rob, that's a heck of a run. The strength you have in races is amazing. Thanks for the RR. How are the boys????
          The boys are doing well. Thank you for asking!!! Smile KeeMan has started track -- 1st meet in two-weeks. He has some REALLY lofty goals for the year. I hope he at least comes close. CamScam is training sporadically but still throwing down some impressive improvement. His goal is to go sub-20 for 5k before he starts XC this fall.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Great race, Hermosaboy, especially considering conditions. You have bounced back extremely well from the time off.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Yes, great race....and great RR...I was on the edge of my seat!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Great racing hermosaboy----impressive come back after surgery and your love of racing comes through so well. Heart of a champion. CNYrunner
                SteveP

Them Hermosa genes.......whew!

SteveP

Man...what a perfect race...in raunchy conditions.....you appear to have been in better shape than you may have realized.....and....sometimes things just come together..... Awesome...BIG congrats...
                    btb1490

Wow, what a great feeling it must be to be in the hunt like that. Very exciting! Congrats on yet another speedy race! Can't wait to see what you do in Boston!
                      huskydon

Congratulations on 3rd place OA! Great job racing and running strong. huskydon
                          WOW!!! Shocked

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Impressive as always Rob. Congrats to ya! Glad to hear the boys are doing well also. Skip

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice job, fast guy! And the season is just beginning....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

How exciting and what a great read, I was on the edge of my chair. Congratulations on your kicking last year's timeout the window and getting 3rd OA! That was really fast for slippery conditions.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova