Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 7.3.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sounds like a good run with the hill group, Dave. Good luck in tomorrow's 10K.

Have a greta vacation at Old Orchard Beach, Deeze - you deserve it!

I'm with you stumpy - I hate running (racewaliking) in the heat. After a while, I get a bit acclimated to it. But I'll never get to where I like it. I don't know how Amy and Ribs and the other folks down south do it all the time.

I'm glad that DW had gotten more consistent with her running, Ribs, regardless of the reason. I hope the AC guys did good work yesterday.

Tramps, suffice it to say my meeting yesterday was very interesting, but I won't bore you all with the details. I also love to see talented athletes when they are moving so seemingly effortlessly. It IS a beautiful thing to see.

TS Aurthur looks like it could be a problem for some folks, Fletch. I hope your friends in Nags Head come through OK. Nice run yesterday.

Tet, aren't you glad those younger runners are around to run the hills for you? 

Coco and Simon sound like an interesting/entertaining pair, Amy. I saw a video yesterday of a turtle playing with a ball - he'd push it around with his snout, and then go after it to do it again. When a dog took the ball, the turtle started chasing (maybe that's the wrong word...) the dog.  Thanks for the good description of running with the Speedsters - sounds hard and fun.

Sorry about DD's team's loss, Holly. I hope you have a great visit with DB and his son.

I'm sorry about David's illness, and your surprising heat, Tammy. I hope both pass soon.

Nice sleep-in and A&A workout, Mariposai.

Gorgeous photo, Mustang Sally. You look "on top of the world" in several respects, all good.

I'm glad you toughed it out and survived the office hill, Evanflein. I hope you survive the record rainfall too.

I was out at the usual time for 6.6 RW miles in 68F temps, with some low fog and mugginess left from last night's brief rain. No sunrise to see, but I stayed by the ocean for as long as I could to suck in that refreshingly cooler salt air. For the second day in a row, a street lamp turned off just as I passed under it - weird split-second sensation.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Tammy—bummer about camping.  Hope David’s feeling better.

Nice pic and wonderful day for MS!

I don’t care what Ribs and Amy say, as a transplanted New Englander of French-Canadian heritage I reserve the right to complain about H&H from time to time.

H&H for 7 miles. NTWILI

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

What Tramps said.  just under 4 miles in the same conditions.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

That photo is so cool, Mu'sally. 

Best and fast get well wishes to David.  I must say, Tammy, you sound remarkably calm about your vacation going away.  Very zen attitude; impressive.  Hope you'll get to reschedule something fun before September.

Also "going with the flow," so to speak, are you, Erika, with the garage.  Knowing you and Peter, this will become a funny story...the year we planned to redo the garage in the Flood (and also built an ark?)  Thanks for the info on Nuun.  (pronounced "noon" I'm told?)  Good to know you can make it stronger, as that little size bottle is exactly what I have.  I got a tube last night.  No calories is good, as I prefer to eat my calories on a long run, e.g., cliff or lara bar.

Will be thinking of you Holly.  Hope your kiddoes get along with the nephew and that your visit is a good one.  We'll be thinking of you (and if it gets awkward, you can always go for a run!)

So after posting yesterday, I realized, I have no idea why that Thai dish is called "drunken noodles."  SO I looked it up and came up with several theories, which I'll post below.  Which one do you favor?

Several theories exist on the naming of this dish. One states that it is because of the use of rice wine in preparing this dish, but no alcohol is added in any of the original Thai recipes. Another states that it was devised by someone who came home drunk but still wanted something to eat that could be made easily with whatever ingredients were available.  As such it should actually be renamed "drunkard's noodles." Yet another theory states that this dish is so spicy that one needs to drink beer to temper the heat.

It is spicy, and I went out straight from court for lunch, so I'm partial the the last explanation.

Some really sweet dogs on our fun run last night.  None as greta as Tag, and no turtles.  Lots of those noisy birds that try and get Simon in trouble (he likes to emulate their wild bird calls; we sound like yuppie parents telling him to "use your words.")  DH finds he has a faster pace at these, even though they are fun runs and he's usually walking alone (he starts about 15 minutes before the runners).  My pace is faster too; even though we're not running for time or place, just being with other people in a race-like setting does improve performance, doesn't it?  [Kind of a "Hawthorne effect" (just being watched in any way improves performance in the workplace.)]

On the other hand, performance  was definitely off this am!  It was 82 at 6:30 am and my pace was influenced-- perhaps just mentally knowing it was over 80 got me--but 8 miles at a 9:08 pace.  I run with the Speedsters in the evening 2x a week when it's often in the 80s and 90s and I'm faster then,  so it's really a mind thing.

Mind. over. matter.  And heat.  Not to mention, humidity.

grins and Happy Fourth Eve!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Fletch

Good morning, all.  Nice running / walking.

75 degrees, 88% humidity at 6:45 this morning.  Luckily, this is a scheduled easy day for me, with the 5k coming up tomorrow.  Slow, easy couple miles this morning, ending with a few striders, just to remind my legs that I will be expecting a little more tomorrow .

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.  Happy Running.

Dave59

Another easy 3 for me this morning.  55° outside.  I have all the windows open and I am sitting here working in a sweatshirt and wool socks.

mta: I am also wearing pants.

C-R

Morning all. Business trip to DC this week and not much time to post so I tried to catch up here in the airport.

Jlynne - prayers for your family.

Deez - enjoy the vacation.

Way to tough it out Ribs.

There will always be more championship games Holly. Better safe with our Midwest storms. I was talking to a business partner who told me a police officer was killed in Columbus last weekend from a lightning strike in the parking lot of the local minor league game. Good luck on the visit. I'm sure it will be ok and there is always a run for some sanity time.

I don't complain much about the H&H since I can't do anything about it. But last night I ran 7.5 in 94 along the Alexandria bike trail and my feet were soaked. That part is a bummer.

DW broke her wrist while I'm here. Horse got spooked and pulled her down. She's in surgery this afternoon and I can't get any earlier flight due to the holiday and the hurricane. She's a tough one and told me I wasn't really needed since I wasn't doing the surgery. Still worry about her though. Kids stood up and got things done. Nice team effort but it reminds me that traveling for work is sometimes a PITA. We should have a calm 4th with some BBQ and relaxation.

I hope everyone has a nice 4th and some good running.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

I am sorry to hear about your wife C-R. I hope surgery goes well.

I hope Denise is having fun on her vacation. A two whole weeks of vacation would be very nice. I am saving up my vacation time to go to see our son in Macedonia.

Aamos, I use nuun too. It really works great for me.

Tamster, how is David doing today?

Up early for a 9 miler while the weather was a little bit cooler.  A very nice run with 6x two telephone poles at a much, much faster pace.

So, what are you doing for the 4th of July weekend? I am trying to convince the boys to go backpacking with me. So far nobody wants to join me.

Have fun in the sun!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

109 degrees for Tammy and 55 for Dave - quite a range!

Mustang Sally - great picture!

Erika - we, too, have been getting tons of rain - seems like a thunderstorm almost every evening - powerful, drenching, flooding storms.  The weeds LOVE it.....

{{{C-R's DW}}} - tough that you can't be there, but great that the kids are stepping up to the plate.

9 miles for me this morning in a very pleasant 64 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the info on Nuun.  (pronounced "noon" I'm told?)

soundrunner always pronounced it "none," if anything.

do you still have your Boston accent or something?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Every time I saw Nunn yesterday I had to laugh, waiting for someone to say something. EK came through for us.  It's like "lightening", my own spelling pet peeve.

No argument on the H&H from me Tramps; complain all you like.  Nice run in the heat C-R and hope your wife recovers quickly.

Agree with Aamos on Tammy's vacation. That is bad luck.  Hope David recovers quickly.

How cool is Mustang!  Nice pic and a great day you all had.

Holly, my oldest brother passed away some years ago and I always regretted we had little chance to get close.  We were many years apart in age. He graduated from high school and went right into the Marines, got out and went off to college, graduated and moved to California. I saw him rarely after that.  He was a wonderful man, great sense of humor too.  I hope you enjoy your time with your brother.

A couple of years ago restaurants started pork belly as a culinary "trend" and you see it on menus a lot.  I wanted to give it a try and found them in that Asian market I mentioned the other day.  So yesterday I braised them after marinating them overnight with an aromatic spice rub, at the same time the a/c guys were putting in our new unit.  It drove them crazy!  I won't do that again.  ("What are you cooking?  You killin' us man!")

I'm no Twocat, but they came out really well. I used them as an appetizer over a celery root puree.  Man, was that good!  With my crappy heart and cholesterol worries, I'm not planning to make them often, but what a treat.  Everything in moderation as Julia says.

My wife's longest run to date since running again with me has been 4 miles. So today she did 3.5 with me and I said, let's go out another 3/4 and back and you'll get 5 in.  It had rained last night (with lots of lightening) so it was a very cool 72.  She agreed, but without telling her I ran us out a mile and back so she got 5.5 in.  Very proud of her.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

thanks everyone for your well wishes for David. His fever broke yesterday after sleeping the ENTIRE day. He even had a little energy in his voice last night. He got up around 6 this morning, took a couple tylenol and went back to bed. I think for the most part now, it'll just take a day or two to regain some energy after being sick for 3 days, but he's on the mend.

Aamos, it's really no biggie to forfeit part of my vacation this week. I have so much flexibility with my job and never have to coordinate my days off with anyone else in the office, so it'll be very easy to take time off later. I still have 13 vacation days to use by October.

I feel badly that both David and I got sick right when the foreign exchange student is here. Fortunately, he's living with my parents for a month, so we've been able to keep our distance and not get him sick, but so far his trip here has been a little less than exciting I'm sure. He's from the city of Valladolid, about 2 hrs north of Madrid. But this weekend, we have some fun things planned. 4th of July fireworks tomorrow night, DH is taking them to the drag car races on Saturday (he loves cars!), Jetboat trip for Sunday Brunch and then the entire exchange group that is here (about 25 in total I think ) are going paintballing on Monday.

oh yeah, running. this is a running group. i should mention something about running. ummmm. i haven't run in a couple wks. that's all I got. 

Tammy

I read Holly's memo and also ran 9 miles this morning at 6:30 am. Ran it as a tempo run since time was limited and averaged about 7:55 pace overall. Wrung out my clothes when I got back and wished I had brought along some shampoo for supreme multi-tasking---a humidity run and shower. All good.

Best healing wishes to your DW C-R. Phooey on broken wrists! I am glad David is on the mend Tammy. They bounce back quickly at that age it seems and I hope this will be the case.

Interesting culinary explanation Aamos. groovy!

Loved that Photo Mustang Sally---awesome all around.

Okay, back on the phone for more client calls and then shutting it down at 3 pm today. Happy holiday all (and as my British colleagues say: "Isn't this really Thanksgiving in America?"). Stay safe if you are Arthur's path.

Tammy, I'm glad to hear David is improving.  I hope he's back to normal soon.  C-R, sorry to hear about your wife's wrist.  It's a bummer you weren't able to get back for her surgery.  I hope it goes well.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s, there was a little wind, and it was a little misty/rainy.  I got  in 5 miles at an 11:02 pace

My son posted the following picture of of our grandson on the trike we got our son when he was little,

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

lamerunner

Good afternoon!  Weird weather here too, very humid though slightly cooler than yesterday. weather can't decide between rain and shine!

Believe it or not, I also ran  about 9 miles --around town then a lap around Dorrs Pond. Clothes and knee brace all went directly in the wash. Sweaty sweaty!

Deez, hope your vacation is great! Tammy, glad your son feels better. Those summer viruses ( virii?) are lousy.  C-R, sorry about your DW's wrist but glad the kids are helping her.

We are heading up to the lake for the weekend; my DH and two of his siblings own a lake house just south of Conway. DS is excited to get back on his water ski; he got a new one for Christmas. DH  has a new kayak. I have no new toy...but I may disappear on Saturday and go hike; the weather for tomorrow does not look reliable enough, and a big group is likely on Saturday-- good day to clear out for a bit.

I have never tried Nuun; maybe I should. I have some ssalt tablets I have used on rare occasions.  Maybe I should put some in my hking pack.

We may see more lightning/lightening-- or "lightling" as DD used to say when she was little, but Saturday and Sunday look great.

Happy 4th!