Masters Running

Wednesday, June 3rd--It's National Run Day. Did you do your Duty? (Read 34 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Looks like I got lucky and ran without realizing it was.  4 fairly sproinky miles in non-June, but very pleasant 49°F.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

4.4 miles before I knew what day it was too.

Today is the realtor walkthrough.  So I am going to take my show on the road.  Do some work from the library and coffee shops around Midland.  It's sort of a realtor only open house from 10:00 to 1:00,

They said I could stay and work but I'd rather get out anyway.

Slo

I took the day for it!

Not really but I did get a good run in.

So what do you with a day off in the middle of the week? So far I've got a 7 mile run in...2.5 hours working on our trails, back to pick up my son and grab a chainsaw and head to the trails again. I've got plans for a 50 mile bike ride later today.

I'll need a day back at work just to recoup!

Enjoy!

Good morning everyone. Looks like I followed stumpy and ran without knowing about the holiday, so I did my duty.

This returning to running after 6 years is hard...I am so out of shape and I have signed up for my first race since those 6 years. A 5k on Fathers Day to benefit men's cancer.

Today I did intervals. 6X 500 at race pace (not sure what that was as I had not measured exact distance. So I ran them till I felt quite tired :-)

Hope everyone has an amazing day.

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Sayhey! MM#130

Oh, but running is so not duty!  I did enjoy a soignee little 6 mile progression run this morning, first mile 9:14, last one 8:10, very much fun over in Lakes Park with the bunnies and birds and ducks.

It was cool here, too--below 70 to start.  Kevin, how cold did it get in Boston last night?  Joe sounded as if he wanted to be in his home down here, despite the excitement at Fenway.

Good luck, Dave.    So yesterday was an Epic Fail, Deez?

Oh oh, Slo's loose on the trails with a chainsaw!

Well it's a good thing you don't touch the puzzle early in the week, Ribs.  Yesterday's was another stoopid theme, bleh.

I'm drinking my Vernor's here, continuing to get my Michigan on.

Happy midweek!

grins, A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

..I am so out of shape and I have signed up for my first race since those 6 years. A 5k on Fathers Day to benefit men's cancer.

Save the Males!   You'll be super in that race, Tall, you will be.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Me too.

I had about as much idea that it was National Running Day as I did that Pomp/Circumstances had lyrics.

However, by the coincidence of reading the Great One's article, I  went for a rare training run anyway. 4.5 miles. Whew!
                In particular, as a former life-long skier who’s always thought skiing was good enough exercise anyway to not have to do any training for running, I had no idea that, if you did do training, you can use not enough of it as an excuse for being so slow. Does too much work too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Oh, but running is so not duty!  I did enjoy a soignee little 6 mile progression run this morning, first mile 9:14, last one 8:10, very much fun over in Lakes Park with the bunnies and birds and ducks.

It was cool here, too--below 70 to start.  Kevin, how cold did it get in Boston last night?  Joe sounded as if he wanted to be in his home down here, despite the excitement at Fenway.

Good luck, Dave.    So yesterday was an Epic Fail, Deez?

Oh oh, Slo's loose on the trails with a chainsaw!

Well it's a good thing you don't touch the puzzle early in the week, Ribs.  Yesterday's was another stoopid theme, bleh.

I'm drinking my Vernor's here, continuing to get my Michigan on.

Happy midweek!

grins, A

Well, maybe not duty.  But you gotta get out and represent, don't you know?

48°f at home last night.  The players sure looked bundled up.  DW's cousin sent us tickets for tonight's game--it's supposed to be 60° at game time.  We will be bringing several varieties of fleece.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Well, I knew it was NRD, but I seldom miss a day anyway so went out solo to do a recovery run after yesterday's 12.5 miler.  Did a very slow 3.5 miler and was not at all ashamed to stop a couple of times.

I have to write a couple of proposals today and I dread it, but proposals lead to work, and work is what I do to eat, so I'd better get to it.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

I don't think CoachD knew it was National Running Day when he gave me this week's schedule. Tonight I'm doing 5 miles and I will love every step because today is the last day of our mild temps. Should only be low 70's today and maybe a few sprinkles late this afternoon and then it heats up quickly - mid 90's by the wknd. We have a race Saturday morning - David is running the 5K and I'm doing the 10K. Thankfully it starts at 8:00 when it might only be 70ish.  But it'll already feel quite warm by the time I finish. They appropriately name it the Gold Dust Run - and it never fails that it's hot and dusty out.

Tammy

I had been getting ads all week letting me know today would be NRD.  Of course, because I have the memory of an elderly bumble bee I forgot all about it until I came here to RA.   Then again I went out and ran 10 miles, mostly with company from voices in my headset!  Add to that clear skies and is well in my little world.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Since I don't get the day off for it, I'm boycotting National Running Day.

Would have except for no good reason I only slept about 4 hours last night and felt groggy this morning. I'll make up for it tomorrow, although I did do about a half mile on the TM at the gym.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I have a question about official track and field rules.  This article http://running.competitor.com/2015/06/news/assistant-coach-former-athletes-accuse-alberto-salazar-of-cheating_129490 accuses Alberto Salazar of having runners he coached cheat via the use of performance enhancing drugs.  But, in reading the article it seemed like he was pressuring his athletes to use performance enhancing drugs; but it is not clear if they were banned drugs.  While pushing people to use drugs just so they can run a bit faster may be ethically dubious, depending on what you are encouraging someone to use it may not be against the rules.  (Caffeine for example is legal.)   Does anyone here know if the drugs Salazar is accused of pushing were in fact against the rules at the time he is accused of pushing them?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Funny.  A non-running colleague asked if I ran today for the holiday.  "Huh?"  I didn't get it until she explained the National Run Day thing.

"Every day is run day!" was my response. "Except for rest days."

Serious question:  Does anyone have a link to something that explains the whole Cool Running/Active.com meltdown story from 2006 or so?  Somebody must have written about this but I can't seem to find a good telling of the tale. I'm especially interested in the origins of the Couch to 5K training plan (who created that originally??) but the whole thing is a great example of a tone-deaf corporate owner.

Cooler and rainy today.  Out for 6 this morning with 3 tempo miles.

Be safe. Be kind.