Masters Running

Happy Tues Master Runs - Workouts - And Mishaps (Read 459 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning RA gang, you all Rock Ya know.....and no mishap, but bet it got your attention though Smile 10 good miles last night that felt easy - 1:22:43 - 8:16 ave pace - with 6 miles at MP pace (7:55 ish) - IRC....whole run was almost at BQMP (8:15) Smile. I am getting to the point in my training where I need to add some more MP miles to get accustomed to this pace, and work on endurance and stamina at this pace also. Thanks Erika...you know why... Hope you all have a good - day before hump day! TimmyBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, everyone! Still wet this morning, but at least it wasn't raining. 6.1 miles, 49:06, 7:59/mi, AHR 152 (78% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning all. Everyone have a great day! I brought the Guitar into work today. (No, not to play!) First lesson after work ... This morning was Intervals day. 8 miles total with 8x1/2 mile with 90 secs. RI between each. The plan had me targetted at 3:28 (Ha!), I targeted 3:45 as being more like it. A mile and a half warmup then the Repeats were run at: 3:58 3:56 (guess I didn't warm up enough ...) 3:49 3:45 (finally on track ...) 3:45 3:44 3:45 3:42 And a mile and a half cool down. Could I have done 2 more to make it a Yasso set? Yeah, I think so. Breathing heavy but not all out. 72° and 75% at 5:00 AM. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, guys! Haven't had a chance to catch up on the weekend or Monday's posts. dg - the raised bed-building didn't come to fruition over the weekend. DH decided he wanted to go look at bicycles on Saturday. By the time I got the house cleaned on Sunday, he wanted to do lunch and hit another bicycle shop. It then started raining. I finally escaped late Sunday afternoon for a trip to Home Depot - in the pouring rain. I made those poor folks load my pickup with dirt and mulch in that pouring rain. I'm sure they thought I was crazy, but I knew I wouldn't have another chance this week, and I want to get the garden plot done in time for tomato planting. 7 hilly miles yesterday morning in IRC. Both ospreys were on the nest when I ran by Avery Point. I saw what appeared to be an otter back by the marina on my trip through campus. Rain this morning, so I did 6.65 miles - progressive run - on the treadmill. AHR 149. Yoga on the slate for lunch today. Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

5.2 easy miles. I was chugging along at my usual easy pace of 8-thirty-something and realized this is probably too fast for me right now. With the warmer humid weather I was breathing more heavily and sweating quite a bit. I think it's time for me to dial it back for the summer season. I also need to find a Fall marathon to give myself a goal and structure. Have you picked your Fall marathon yet? ETA: Ovechkin-Crosby? Wow. Hockey doesn't get much better than that one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Hi all, I'm been taking a little time off from running for a few days to break the routine and chill. My next marathon will be at the end of October so plenty of time to get ready. Good runs everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I also need to find a Fall marathon to give myself a goal and structure. Have you picked your Fall marathon yet?
                I'm the same way, Tramps.... need to get back to it....will get in some miles this afternoon. I have a tentative plan for Spirit of Survival Marathon in early October. Have not yet committed.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

I also need to find a Fall marathon to give myself a goal and structure. Have you picked your Fall marathon yet?
                  http://monumentalmarathon.com/ Great race...up to 16 miles Roll eyes Seriously, I was surprised at the amount of crowd support and music all along the way...and not one hill to speak of really. And last year it was 48 degrees and sunny with no wind..but who knows from year to year though. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all, I made my first completely running lake loop this morning. i appear to have the HRM working properly by using a cotton shirt (No, Nono, I am NOT using your fashion suggestion Wink ) and sort of randomly picked 130 as my max while building up. Not quite 3x RHR so not a huge strain. 3.1 Mi in 33:25.39 (10:47 pace) ARH115 MHR 128 Guess I hit my goal pretty close Wink I know just about everyone here has a bigger base than I do, but am curious as to how quickly and at what pacing folks that are coming back form heart related layoffs were doing. (I should have paid closer attention while Ribs and DanL were recovering) Thanks. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Heya Masters ! Nice running Bill....Tim and Sue No run for me yesterday.......That makes 3 holes in my chart for the last 30 days.....What a slacker ! But with my Run Bike and Swim so far this week.....and it's only Tuesday I've already logged 3hrs 18 mins of training. And that does not include the 30 mins/day of my bike commute. By my health coaches standards I'm done for the week ! Big grin 8.7 high quality miles this morning.....very slight breeze, 59 deg......I did a 20 min tempo at 10k pace 7:00 - 7:15 and felt like I was on auto pilot.......Really thinking about my form and effiency, listened to my breathing......for the record, my breathing is not in unison with my foot strike like so many articles claim. I'm pumped......I am so far ahead with my fitness from last year at this same period.......Our 1st tri of this year is next weekend. It is also the toughest (sprint distance). I'm heading into this race with lots of confidence. Maybe to much but that's a risk you take if your going to toe the line. Which.......was on my mind this morning. Everytime you....(I anyway) take my spot in that line up waiting for the starting gun I am setting my self up for elation or dissapointment. I don't race for fun....although it is fun....thats not why I'm there. I'm going to measure myself against everyother runner in the field......regardless of age, weight or sex. I know where I want to finish and the time I want to finish in. And to add to the stakes.......not only am I racing against the current field of athletes....I'm also racing against my last years self....or my PB self on that course. Just thinking........Happy Runs All !

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I tried out the cinder track at the middle school today. I called the athletic department last week and the guy I talked to said he thought the track was 440 yards, not 400 meters (although he sounded sort of unsure), but I’ll go with that assumption. 8 mile run for me today, including 8 x ¼-mile intervals, with ¼-mile recoveries. Distance-wise, it worked out very nicely, 2 mile run to the track, 4 miles in track work, and 2 miles home. Sweet. I didn’t look at the Garmin during the run, just hit the “Lap” button at the same point on the track after each lap. I was aiming at a strong, fast, steady pace with good form – hard effort but not maximum effort. Intervals were as follows: 1:40 (6:40) 1:40 (6:40) 1:43 (6:52) 1:43 (6:52) 1:41 (6:44) 1:42 (6:48) 1:39 (6:36) 1:40 (6:40) Of course, while the Garmin stopwatch feature gave me the times, the Garmin paces were higher because it told me each lap was .22 or .23 mile, not .25 mile. I’m inclined to believe that the track is more exact than the Garmin, but I guess it really doesn’t matter for my purposes. Still, it would be nice to believe that I was really running at a 6:XX pace, rather than the 7:XX paces the Garmin gave me. Hey, I can dream, can't I? Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

A lot depends on how old that track is. I guessed it was 440 yards simply because it is cinder, as anyone building a new track today would probably not build a cinder one. I imagine it's older, and if so would be 440 yards. Bill, that's good to ease into the workout that way. Better to be a bit slow to start and then work into the workout. The opposite can give you a poor workout. Just 2.4 slow for me today. Still recovering from Sunday I guess. Dinner with Mariposai tonight. Stumpy, I don't think there is a big database on heart related recovery. It's all by feel for me. Spareribs
                          Mariposai

Here is a little Latino history for you today. "Cinco de Mayo is a date of great importance for the Mexican and Chicano communities. It marks the victory of the Mexican Army over the French at the Battle of Puebla. In the United States, the "Batalla de Puebla" came to be known as simply "5 de Mayo" and unfortunately, many people wrongly equate it with Mexican Independence which was on September 16, 1810, nearly a fifty year difference. Over, the years Cinco de Mayo has become very commercialized very and many people see this holiday as a time for fun and dance. Oddly enough, Cinco de Mayo has become more of Chicano holiday than a Mexican one. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated on a much larger scale here in the United States than it is in Mexico". Great fun day is ahead of my wings. Lunch with PT friend, then a victory lap celebration dinner with coachRibs and DH (the two poor guys who had to put up with my moodiness during the training). 7 dry miles, it stopped raining just before I left the house. 3@10:30 and 3@9:45.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

. Have you picked your Fall marathon yet?
                              I am thinking about Hardford, unless I BQ earlierShocked Roll eyesEvil grin did I say that?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - you could always come up and join Dg and I at the Columbus Marathon. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."