Masters Running

Wednesday 10/29 Daily - Not a Typo! (Read 35 times)

Heh, heh, heh, I am in Beijing for the worlds shortest trip to China.  I arrived yesterday (Tuesday 10/28) at 3pm local time and I leave today (Wednesday 10/19) at 5pm to head home where I will arrive at 6:30pm the same day!  , (Thank you international date line!)  Being on the other side of the date line means I get to start the daily!  Not even coastwalker can get up, back and post before me on this day!   To think, if I were home it would be mid-day yesterday!

So did I mention that I get to start the Wednesday daily while many of you are still on Tuesday?  What a hoot!  Now if you are still on Tuesday then get out of here and post on the Tuesday thread.  If it is Wednesday where you are then welcome to my date!  At least for now.  Of course if it is Thursday what is with you?  Go to the Thursday thread this one is already done and dead!

As to running I hit the TM for 13k as you would not under any circumstances want to run outside.  You can see the air and it stings to breath.  Awful!  The hotel has an air filtration system and believe me you need it!

I hope you all have a good day, whatever day that may be!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Hahaha... not a typo? Might want to check your date, wherever you may be! (and smart move on the TM... I wouldn't breathe the air there, either!)

In the title no less! <head slap smiley>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

4 miles for me this morning.  Little bit of rain during the first couple miles but it stopped. I should have known it would rain when the TV weather girl said it was colder today but would be dry. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - you are making my head spin a little....   How long is your flight to get there?

No run for me today, just 45 minutes or so of weights and core.  I have been slacking on this and am getting soft and weak.....

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Love the spirit, two cat........so um, good day to you, whatever time it is, and Good Morning to most of the rest of you.

And EVERYONE, if you missed Tag’s post late on the Tuesday daily, you have have have to go read it. It’s his version of the relay training.   I really needed a cheer-me-up today and that made my cup overflow! Thanks, Steve!

Anyone else follow the space station? You can sign up for alerts when it is passing overhead. We had a greta sighting last night, about 6 minutes long. DH was watching it at home (I was at Speedsters) and a fellow walking his dog stopped to find out what he was looking at in the sky, and stayed to watch too, so maybe we have a new follower. It was very clear.

Fun photos, roch! I wish I had run Detroit; I didn’t start marathons until 2003. Now I am afraid to go back as I know I will be sad to see Detroit in its present shape, or so I believe. We used to subscribe to the Freep, however, and I do feel torn about not having run it….

Holly, doesn’t it seem sometimes like vacations are more work than play, when you factor in the prep and now the mop-up time at work? Hope you have some good photos and mementoes in your office to keep it fresh for you.

Hello Mr. tselbs!  You run so steady and consistently.  How are your grandkids?

Love the photos, Dave.

Next marathon is Nov 9 and I’m a little concerned; no real long runs for me between the last one, Oct. 11 and then. Longest looks like

Sunday, when I got in some warm up and cool down miles around the half marathon for a total of 17.   There’s a 15K and another half this weekend so I’ll try again to get something in around the half.

So enjoying cooler temps here; announcer said it was 68 at 6:21 this am. Last night was a good solid workout with Speedsters: 4x400, 2x800, 4x400. I averaged just under 6:40 for the 400s and just under 7 for the 800s. Cut back to 7 this am at an 8:40 pace.   And I didn’t come back dripping wet!

grins,

A

p.s.

A lot of you may remember I used to be a public defender in South Dakota. Just learned at the end of last week the Admin Asst there, a funny, 40-something, lively Harley-riding woman has brain cancer. She went into the ER for a bad headache and was having the tumour removed within 24 hours. It's bringing back a lot of memories, as we lost a young PD just a few years ago. He was diagnosed while I was still there and died 12/26/12. He was 41, left a wife and 3 kids. The office isn't that big (maybe 20 total) so this is hard.

I wasn't going to post this, but it's a cloud in my head that won't go away. Makes me realize <yet again> how much better I could do at appreciating every day.   Also just how immutably life insists on marching forward, in the sense that there’s really so very little I can do. So life goes forward for most of us, with just her family and a few very close friends dealing with the day to day concerns and tasks of cancer treatment.

Maybe it’s somewhat akin in some way to what your brother’s been going through, Leslie.   Katie Couric was talking about her husband’s cancer treatment (back in the 90s, this just resonated with me) and describing the feeling that they were in a sort of aquarium, able to see out to the rest of the world, but trapped inside a little world of treatment and hospitals with its own systems, etc.

Anyway, I am a little preoccupied, and indeed, my best going out for your bro and family, Leslie.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Wishing you good luck traveling back home, twocat.

Still no running here. My legs are still very stiff and a little sore. Rest is good since I have a monster week anyway.

Off to Wenatchee

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Sorry for your colleague Aamos.  Twocat, I'm confused about where you are, when you are and typos.

We're still eating, drinking, basking, swimming, floating and of course running, although not very fast. another 4 this morning at a snail's pace with this humidity and uneven footing.  It's a bit like Brazil, with all the rough stone and changes of footing.

Night before last we ate at a Japanese restaurant.  The waiter kept saying hi to me, even though I had said hi to him several times.  Guy must have forgotten he had already waited on me.

Off to breakfast, then the pool today, then this afternoon I'm going to do a long session of flexibility and core work in the fitness center. This place is huge.  Tonight we'll eat in the sports bar as I want to see Game 7.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Does that mean that Ribs is not making any sort of lasting impression on the waiter?  I bet if you had a waitress, you wouldn't have this issue.

Aamos, I'm sorry about your colleague. We are also a small PD office and a close knit group as well. We've had a few tragedies over the years as well and it deeply affects us all because of how tight we are. 

I might just have TwoCat beat on shortest trip for that length of a flight. When I worked for NWA, I flew from Seattle to Seoul. Arrived in Seoul about 3:00 pm and we departed to return to Seattle about 1:00 pm the following day. I basically flew over there to go shopping for a day. Spent far more time on the plane than on the ground. 

It's David's last week of XC practice before the State meet on Saturday. He's so excited for State, but sad that it's coming to an end. Our #1 runner is currently #2 in the state, but only behind the #1 guy by 1 second, so he has a legitimate shot at a state title. Plus if he goes sub 16:07, which I think he will, he'll have the new school record also. It is going to be a very exciting day in Eugene on Saturday.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dear twocat - try not to breathe over there.
                      Is the air pollution as bad as they say?
                      All they had was bicycles when I was there
                      in November 1985 so not much air pollution.
                      Dear aamos - it’s sobering enough getting old but,
                      the older I become, the more painful it becomes
                      knowing so many don’t even get that chance.

Night before last we ate at a Japanese restaurant.  The waiter kept saying hi to me, even though I had said hi to him several times.  Guy must have forgotten he had already waited on me.

Ribs - nothing like going to Mexico to eat Japanese food.

I bet they had some good fresh fish though. <<<(raw/raw/raw)>>>

I don’t know what mikemp is doing over in Japan

but just saying doumo (dough moe) everytime should work.  
                      ps twocat/tammy - how about a face-to-face meeting with a Tokyo businessman during a four hour stop at Narita International Airport when flying from Beijing to London?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TwoKitty set my head to spinning just as much as Tet usually does.

Aamos - I'm very sorry to hear about your colleague.  I will keep her and her family in my prayers.

Eating sushi in  Mexico??

Thanks for sharing your story yesterday, Tag.  My heart always when I read your posts.

An hour core/ST this a.m.  I wanted to sleep in, but that's what I did yesterday, so I needed to get my rear out of bed this a.m.

Enjoy your day, peeps ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sorry to hear about your colleagues, Aamos.

By the way, Detroit actually is a better, more attractive place to run now than when I ran it in the early 2000s.

TwoCat, somehow everything evens out with the clock and days gained or lost, but I can't figure that stuff out in my current condition

I used the treadmill at Planet Fitness this morning, but just at a fast walk, then did a more intensive than usual session with the strength equipment. All the treadmills and other aerobic devices face the same long wall. There are 16 large-screen TVs along there and I noticed today that the one tuned to Fox News is at the far right (I never go to the right when I'm in there). 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Yes, having Fox News on the far right is appropriate!

So sorry to hear that, Aamos. Way too young (not that there's ever a good age for that).

The saint eating sushi? Not likely to happen in this lifetime, in Mexico or anywhere.

Yes, Taggie's description of relay training is pretty cute. Steve is quite the story teller!

I've been slacking on the ST also. Feel like a total weenie. I don't remember the last time I lifted weights, and good grief I used to do that 3x a week or more!

Nancy, take your time on the recovery. That was quite an effort last weekend, you deserve the rest!

I needed a rest day too, apparently. Went home after work with the idea of maybe a run in the neighborhood or treadmill, but collapsed on the chair with the cat and watched the news instead. Got to bed relatively early (for me) and feel much better this morning. We had our first real dose of cold last night though, and it was -3° on the drive in to work today! I hope it warms up to the forecast upper teens this afternoon, because I will get out for a run today!

mrrun

we've been away in exotic maryland - not china, mexico, or detroit - so i'm far behind on what happened over the last few days. I assume it was great racing, race directing, grandkid and animal visits.

went kayaking for over 3 hours, didn't see unique birds - only the standard robins, woodpeckers, gulls, and a few turtles.  followed that by a 4 mile run and now I'm exhausted.

((aamos))

soon we'll settle down with some wine  and an evening that includes game 7.

have a great evening everyone!
                              marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, I just noticed that I passed 2,000 miles for the year on my run today!  Mike just passed 2,000 a few days ago, and Erika and C-R are within spitting distance!   Guess we showed that pace bunny!

I had a good 7 mile trail run in the land of low oxygen.  But glad for the blue skies, which I never saw while I was in Seattle.

Amy, really sorry about your friend. Is there any chance at all that she'll recover?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.