Masters Running

Stevie Ray's White River 50 Mile "Race" Report (Read 321 times)

xor

(cross posted in the ultra and masters groups) Here is my report for the White River 50 Miler held on 7/26. More than normal, my standard disclaimer is important: this is NOT a report from the front of the pack and it IS very long. Hopefully you will find it entertaining. I was out there for a looooong time, and had lots of time to consider life. As races go, White River is on the list of top 3 hardest I've ever done. I'm sure there are harder 50s out there, but White River was my limit. ...As always, you can find detailed reports for 100ish marathons and ultras over there.

#artbydmcbride

Gah!!!! Big grin Excellent report, StevieRay! That was awesome.

Runners run

Head Procrastinator

Well I enjoyed reading that....and reading and reading Wink Hope your heel is healed. Barb
        ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          I thouroughly enjoyed reading your report StevieRay...yup, the whole thing! Heck I've been known to be a little long winded myslef and I really do enjoy reading reports like yours where you can really get the feel of being there running with the author. Great job and way to hang in there with that heel blister...ouch. Sad Congratulations on enduring through it all, hmmmm maybe someday I'll run one of those ultras...maybe. Wink

Top 'O the World!

So, what's the "special prize?" Clowning around very enjoyable read....I can tell I'll be thinking about pieces of that whilst I "volunteer" @ the TransRockiesRun later this month..... Wink
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow Robert, I knew your White River RR would be good and I've been checking your blog every day to forward it on to two buddies I've talked into running three WR's already with me and to several more no-longer-unsuspecting candidates I hope will be there in 2009 too. <>arf/franci/posie/ilene/tammy)>>> It must be different for fitness running just trying to get as much exercise as possible, the longer and harder the better whether going all the way or not , but, as the White River has become one of my favorite pure running events of all time, I fully expected it to be one of yours too and can't help but wondering which one is and why. I'll have to check more of your rr's. I appreciate your detail a lot, . . . such as putting a little better perspective on getting lost at the big washout. Seemingly stranded in the middle of a forested nowhere, I was ready to sit cry in hopeless frustration or quit or both until finally spotting the red trail marker flag at what-seemed-even-higher-up-the-slope than where we started the detour. The getting out of the way for passing/on-coming runners on the narrow trails too. It took me three years but I finally got my first compliment ever on the White River trails with “nice form, guy” as a clung for life around a small Douglas Fir over a precipitous ledge as one of the lead packs caught up to the early starters and passed us by. It took me three times too to figure out what you figured it out right away about the value and necessity of some substantial hill practice. After finishing with a DQ more than an hour after the 14 hour early start cutoff in 2006, my Scott Jurek story is saying that I could probably make the cutoff if I practiced until I could do the ~2,000 foot ascent/descent of Mt. Si near Seattle six times. After a reflective pause, he replied, "no, I think three would be enough." Unfortunately, I didn't heed his advice at all this year but, instead, thought running all or part of more ultras already this year than in my whole life (4 - DizzyDaze / Mt.Si / Redmond Watershed / 20thCent100K) would produce my best finish yet. However, all of them were FLAT, worthless flat and I ended up with my first DNF (mile 31.7 half way up Sun Top Mountain at what was less than 30 minutes behind you (actually 1hr/30min) but there was no way I’d be making the cutoff at the top where the volunteers had already been waiting on and for us all day). You did so well maintaining your pace like clockwork until Skookum at mile 43.4 where, even though your final 1:46 to the finish was a slow 10K for you, it was forty-five minutes faster than my first one there mirrors what seems to happen to everyone on the first tries. Maybe compared to your other 177 marathons/ultras you don’t seem to know it yet but you did so fantastically well just minutes behind a 12 hour pace for over eleven hours over 43.4 miles of the hardest running out of anything I’ve ever done in my life. I have a feeling I’ll be seeing you on the out-and-backs again sometime. I hope. In the meantime, I hope you still might be considering my response to your post in our SeattleRnR topic about a possible Saturday/Sunday home-town Seattle-Kona double for you next year. For your information only - don't tell anyone who's coming for the inaugural Seattle RnR, the White River training agenda for 2009 will include an assault on Corral Pass the day after or before the RnR depending on whether it is on Saturday or Sunday ps - don’t talk about being in the top ten from the bottom either; there were 62 of us DNF’ers who were even behind that. pps - When I talked to Uli a little at the bottom of the way up to Fawn Ridge too, he said he'd run White River again if his current 6hr/32min course record (faster than all my halfway times) is ever broken - 20 minutes to go after this year's winner.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

What an excellent, scenic run!! Thanks for sharing!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Robert, Good thing I mentally committed to the next WR before I read you RR because you gave a very good description of a race I would not want to do. Of course I am also quite stubborn and determined, so I'll treasure your words and conclusions and make sure I'll get plenty of hill training and trail running before next Juy! Thank you for such detailed account and I would be very happy to finish at the same time ofday you did! ( and I will take the early start for sure!) See you at the Tunnel Marathon? Francesca
                  xor

Thanks for all the great comments! Jon, I read that there were 238 starters and 202 finishers. Still lots of DNFs, but I think it was "only" 36 and not 62. The two gals I talked to acted like they never intended to do all 50 anyway. They were specifically there for the first half. Hmmm. Hally, my heel was good enough the following weekend (aka, last weekend) to run a half. But still not completely better. We'll see how it does during the 14 mile downhill section of Sunday's marathon. TransRockies is a stage race I really want to do. The deal with that one, though, is you have to find a partner that is roughly the same speed as you (or one of you has to have daily patience to wait for the other person). Francesca, I plan on being at Tunnel. I will probably run the 33 miler at Blanchard the day before so I plan to putter at Tunnel.

King of PhotoShop

The long reports have the detail, and it's the detail that provides the learning. Well done. Hope the heel is better. Spareribs
                        hey StevieRay, I was wondering what was going on with you and then I see this lovely report full of hilarious stuff like Cor-el, Minudo, the best peanut butter sandwich you ever ate, and Red Shirt Guy. I thought you were a little wild when I met you back at the PV Marathon a few years ago, but now I know you're really a special nutjob running a 50 miler Tongue Seriously dude, you ran an awesome 50 miler and wrote an amazing report. Thanks for sharing so I never ever let someone like Tetsujin con me into an ultra. Cool
                        xor

I met you back at the PV Marathon a few years ago
                          Twas last year. 15 short months ago!

oh jeez, was 2006 only 15 months ago? Confused The mind is the SECOND thing to go...I forgot what the first thing was.... I'll be in your neck of the woods in Sept. doing that tourist half marathon in Maui. Will you be around?
                            xor

oh jeez, was 2006 only 15 months ago? Confused The mind is the SECOND thing to go...I forgot what the first thing was.... I'll be in your neck of the woods in Sept. doing that tourist half marathon in Maui. Will you be around?
                              I dunno about 2006, but I ran PV in 2007. Yes, I will be running the full at Maui this year.

srlopez, my bad, you're right, I met you in 2007! I'm so brain damaged lately due to lots of work and no sleep. Cool, I may get to see you in Maui!