Masters Running

Uh - Saturday 7/18/2015? (Read 31 times)

HermosaBoy

I can't be the one to start this!  Where is everybody???

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

evanflein

Hi Hermosaboy! And I can't really be the second on the thread??

Mike, I agree Holly has a wonderful attitude. Holly, good for you, and I think the second way of looking at it is really smart.

Getting ready for my 8k race. The sun is shining and it's already at what was the forecast high for the day a couple days ago (55° ) so that's good. I was preparing myself for rain, gusty wind and temps in the low 50's!

Holly S. you do have an amazing attitude!

enkephalin personally, I would go with the underpass for best view, but there is no accounting for taste.   I hope you and blue eyes have a great weekend!

I got to the start of today's wacky distance race (3.7 miles) and as the RD was starting his spiel the sky opened up and torrential rain hit.  Well you all know the rule, "No running in the rain!"©  So I bailed before the gun went off. Headed home to continue cooking for my annual barbecue bash and waited for the rain to stop.  It did and I got in 8 miles with 5 of them at tempo pace.  Not a bad trade in my book.  If you want to see what it was like for yourself, it followed was the Tour de Underpass pictures that I posted the other day. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good Luck Erika and have fun!

Hi there HermosaBoy!

Ran 14 miles on a cool, but humid Saturday morning. Well into a new training plan for the Chicago Marathon and staying focused. T-storms just blew through, so I am glad I got out early.  I am heading up to Vermont to do my volunteer duty at the VT 100. Teammate ultra-Amy is the RD. Heck of a weekend for 100 milers and 100kers....Triple H day on tap with temps. in the 90s.  Our guys team hosted a track 10k last night ---Under The Lights! Busy weekend for the Western Mass Distance Project.

Way to go on the upbeat attitude Holly. It could be worse indeed, but I am sorry you have to deal with transmission woes on vacation.

Love the grandkid photos Tselbs

And wildchild's photos are always amazing.

Happy weekend all.

Hey there Twocat....snuck in there while I was typing!

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Boy...I sure wish I had Holly's attitude...

It was a rough night.  I woke up 1:00 am to the sounds of thunder, strong winds, and heavy rain.  I couldn't get back to sleep because I was thinking about Eric's car and how it must me getting soaked inside after he got mad, kicked the door open, and broke the hinges so it will no longer shut.  That's another long story.  So...as I lay there...it dawned on me that the electricity was out.  If the the electricity is out...that means my sump pump is not working.  Hmmm...it's raining buckets...and my sump pump isn't working.  I got up and went out to the garage to try to start my generator.  I'm not sure why--I have tried to start it in the past and it has never started.  I keep saying to myself..."You know, Mike--someday you are really going to need this generator--you really need to get it working."  That "someday" was this day at 1:30 am.

My sump pump is located in the crawl space that is under my Kitchen and Dining areas...in the furthest corner from the door.  I have a car creeper that I wheel myself around with under there so I wheeled my over to the sump basket.  Yep--it was getting full.  So--I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and something smaller to scoop with, and started bailing water into the bucket--wheeling the bucket to the door--carrying the bucket to the laundry room--and dumping the water into the the laundry tub.  Over and over and over.  My hope was that the electricity would come back on and I could stop and go back to bed.  Nope...it wasn't coming back on and I was losing ground.

I called my son-in-law...at 2:30 am...and asked if he had a generator.  Yep--brand new--still in the box.  We didn't have time to mess with putting all that together, so he brought over a converter that you hook up to the car battery for me to plug my pump into.  Nope--too many amps for it to handle.  He went back home and got a smaller pump that I could hook a garden hose to and run to the laundry tub.  I went back to bailing while he was dinking around with all this.  The water was, now, to the top of the basket.  I was wheeling back and forth as fast as I could.

We got the smaller pump in the basket, hooked the converter to the car battery, ran the hose to the laundry tub, and said a quick prayer before pushing the "on" switch...it worked!  It took about 30 minutes to get the water back down as the ground water continued to pour from the drain tile leading to the basket.

I had to stay up and keep watch--turning the pump on about every hour and turning it off 1/2 hour later.  Thankfully, the electricity came back on around 6:30 am.

So--if I had Holly's attitude--I would be thinking, "It's a good thing Eric broke his car door so I didn't sleep right through the power outage.  'Cause we would have had stuff floating in 6" of water in our basement, this morning."

Oh...if only I had Holly's attitude...

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh...so after sleeping through the whole ordeal, this morning...Eric woke up (yes, he's sleeping here--that's another long story), went to the bathroom, and dropped his cell phone in the toilet.

Somebody shoot me!  Please...

wildchild

Carolyn

Dang, Mike!  That sounds like quite a workout.  You're lucky your son in law lives close and will come over at 2:30 am!

Holly, excellent attitude.  Hope you have no further issues and enjoy what's left of your vacation.

Erika, good luck at the race!

Twocat, you're such a weather weenie!   A little rain never hurt anybody.  Lightning is a different story, of course!

I did a 6 mile trail race this morning, run by the Colorado Masters Running and Racewalking Association.  Fun group, and nice low -key races.  I won my AG (out of 3), and won a loaf of good bread in the raffle!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Boy...I sure wish I had wildchild's altitude...

Jay, I hope your vacation helps you get over your "stuff".  jlynne, I hope the foot doesn't cause too much trouble.  tomw, good luck on your surgery.  Holly, it's great you have a plan for the car and are able to enjoy your family reunion.  I'll join the others in complimenting your positive outlook.  Mike, quite the adventure with your sump.  I'm glad it all worked out.

We're back home and understand our son's family is all together under their own roof and things are going well.  This morning, I did an 8K race.  The temp at the start was in the low 70s and climbing, it was calm, it was humid, and it was sunny.  I struggled through the race.  My garmin had a time of 56:17, distance of 5.01 miles, and a pace of 11:13/mile.  For the first half of the race, I was dead last and thought I would stay that way.  I finally managed to pass 7 people and ended up 32/39 OA and 2/2 in my AG.  I saw quite a few friends and enjoyed the morning.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Wow, Mike.... that's quite the ordeal! Are you on a really low water table? I think the only folks around here that have sump pumps that I know of live near the river or a slough. That Eric keeps you on your toes, no? Glad the power came back on. Take a nap!

We've been having a lot of wind lately, which happens but isn't typical. So that means we've been having lots of power outages, probably from trees falling on lines. It seems I have to reset the clocks every day when I get home from work.

Today must be the day for 8k races! Mine went well, and the timing was perfect because it really was IRC for the race. Cloudy, 55° but no rain (just some sprinkles at the start, then nothing) and very little wind. I ran a good race, and came close to my PR from 2011! Time today was 36:47, good enough for 6th overall for women and 1st in my AG. My PR time was 36:35, and if I'd known how close I was maybe I would've dug a little deeper. But no, I think I ran the best race I could today and passed the young 30's something woman at about 6.5km who had passed me about 4km earlier. I stayed on her the whole way so I could pass her and keep on going. It was great.

Ran 5.2 miles afterward at a good clip (8:15 or so) for 10 for the day. Ended at DH's office, got the car and came home. The wind picked up on my later run and it was raining a bit just now. So yes, that race was perfect timing (unlike Twocat's experience!).

Sayhey! MM#130

16 hot ones.  Went out later than usual as my marathon in 2 weeks starts at 8 am and it's called "Blister in the Sun" so it seemed to be in order.

I'd post more but I'm not fully rehydrated yet

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Tselbs - beautiful grand babies!

Carolyn - your photos are always magnificent

Holly - keep seeing the best

40 soggy miles on my bike today - a couple of downpours, lots of light rain, but no thunder, no lightening and NO flats!  Then 2.5 mile run for a brick workout!

Loving Maine life - here until Monday!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--I'll take all the relations over spending $4K on a transmission.  Love your positive attitude.

Went to Founder's DAy in South Paris, ME today.  The former owner of the NH race track live there and opens his car collection one day (this day) a year to raise money for the town library.  supposedly 60+ antique cars--I didn't keep count   Included were at least 8 1934 fully restored Packards of various models.  Also Dusenburgs.  Can't imagine how much all that was worth.  I believe all of them had functioning transmissions

Nice race, Tom.  Don't envy the conditions.

Mike.  Damn.  Not much more I can say.

Nice race, too, Erika.  Very speedy.

Carolyn--why were you running a sprint?  I didn't think you did anything that short.

Forgot to tell TW to have a good pre-op.  Looking forward to hearing positive news.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

I believe all of them had functioning transmissions

That's not nice!  But it's hilarious...

I went for 8.2 miles, today, in 1:08:25.  It was a tough one!  Besides being pretty humid, everything on my body was warn out.  My knees are killing me.

You know, I do have to say how grateful I am that this happened when it did. I don't know what I would have done if it had happened on a week day.  Or...how about last week when I was getting ready for my race on Monday...I would have been shot.  So--if it had to happen--it happened at a pretty good time.  See?  I'm more like Holly than you all thought...

Okay--I'm heading for bed.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holly and mikeE would be better reality shows

than reality shows, . . . and everyone else too

still too hot in the PNW to do anything but think about it so I'm gunna get up at 4:00 a.m.

tomorrow and cycle over to a local triathlon I first did in 1990,

my first year of running barefoot, and 13th of annual triathlons,

but to volunteer this time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)