Masters Running

40s+ On the Run: New Month, New Super Bowl Champ (Wk Ending 02/07/09) (Read 401 times)

That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin) Congrats to the Steelers, but dang, I wanted Arizona to win. Boo hoo. Black eye But we had a mighty nice day her, just The Hub and me. He decided to stay home instead of going to a party. Sometimes he's a nice guy . . . . Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Morning folks..... Leslie, I'll bet our hubs would get along pretty darn good. Ev, some family members are running the 5k. My sister and I are doing the half! I won't be doing much this week. Maybe a short run on Tues/Thur. Thanks for your advice! Nice pics Jim from the last thread. Really pretty...... Late night last night. Got to bed around 11:30. Today is work and double clases. So......I'll be home at 9 p.m. and tired I'm sure. Have a great day everyone........ Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Ev, some family members are running the 5k. My sister and I are doing the half! I won't be doing much this week. Maybe a short run on Tues/Thur. Thanks for your advice! Jewels
        oops, my bad. I knew you mentioned a 5K in there somewhere. Yes, you're doing the half....I should have been paying more attention. I bet my face is red! Embarrassed Good luck!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          No sweat Ev.......that is why we have that "modify" button. I fix boo-boos all the time. Smile Jewels
            Mornin' Sunshines! Unfortunately, it's absolutely gorgeous here today. Our entire state desperately needs rain; otherwise, I fear fire season will be just as bad as last year or worse, if that's possible. Undecided Also unfortunately, my 8-mile road run on Saturday has re-irritated my ankle. I think my upcoming 2 weeks of no exercise will end up being a good thing. Anyway, I forewent my scheduled 3 miles w/strength/core and did 30 min of cycling instead, with 1 hr core/strength - all while finishing up "Ms Congeniality." All those gals with great bodies helps to motivate a person. Next up on the movie list, probably "GI Jane." I love that movie, and it never fails to motivate me. Have a good one ~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey there 40's! Jewels - I read on a t-shirt that a half marathon is really just a 5K with a 10 mile warm up Wink. Happy race week to you and your sis! See Ev, you were right after all! Leslie - I suspect you are right that the rest will do your body good even though it was hard. You may not want to watch GI Jane whilst recovering. Jim - beautiful pics! Mountains are good for the soul...glad you got to go! Arla and SR - how did it go in Surf City??? Howdy to everyone Smile Yesterday was a rest day, and I'm heading out for a lunchtime run of 5-6 miles in a few minutes. One of the advantages of working from home, I can wait for the sunshine to run. Hubby has class tonight, so I can do my "make up" work then. No residual owies from the 10 miles on Sat. My friend got new shoes and has a blister and was a bit sore, but otherwise OK. T minus 4 weeks and counting.
              Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Anxious to hear from the Surf City participants, looking at the race website, there were alot of half participants!! Carol looks like you are right on schedule training wise for your half, nice long run. Jewels sending good knee vibes out for your 5k + 10 Wink!! Leslie,I don't know how you ran that day after your procedure wow, and as to the down time following the surgery like you said give some "parts" a chance to heal! Kelly my friend that took me up in the backcountry is a telly skier but throws in a few alpine moves if need be. Its really fun to watch people that are good at it. Dang if your doing bumps in telly gear your skiing that technique pretty well!! Joe and Ev another FB season comes to a close, hope yesterday was entertaining at least. Salty did you get to do that 5k? Saturday my friend Ed and I skied and Sunday Ed, Lynda and I snowshoed a similar route. Ed used telly gear and I used an alpine touring setup that allows the heel to be free on the uphill and locks the heel down for the descent. We took an offtrail route through the trees starting at about 9400 feet at the trailhead and climbed to about 10,500 feet right at treeline. You put climbing skins on for the uphill which is a velvety layer that sticks to the bottom of your skis, then peel them off for the downhill and hope there is some downward slope all the way to the parking lot. Its a heck of a workout equivalent to a long run for me. Very few places you could bomb it much, you had to be very controlled on the way down with rocks and trees. We got down about 2 pm and went for coffee and I kept nodding off over my coffee. We opted just to snowshoe Sunday so Lynda could come with and Ed and I were pretty sore from the ski day. Yesterday on snowshoes was kinda like a recovery run, less effort, less intense, slower pace. I posted some mtn pics to last week's thread, duh, oh well. Anyway no scheduled runs until wednesday, back held up pretty good for the trip, the uphills pull on the achilles pretty hard but they feel good today. Time to go weld up my parts I picked up, have a good week folks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

xor

Surf City has grown a lot.... 18k people, mostly in the 5k and half. There were 3000 people in the full. When I did it two years ago, it was more like 1000. Beautiful day.

FJ - Gorgeous pics! Carol - You're gonna kick butt at the half, Little Lady. SRL - Haven't read your report yet, but 18,000 people?? Ugh! Dead It would take a lot of mental fortitude for me to participate in something that big. I have to post this pic. It came to me in an email with a bunch of others. Have no idea of the origin, but I think it's possibly one of the sweetness pics I've ever seen. Can I get a collective, "Aaaaaah!"

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Sorry in advance...this is gonna be long... Leslie - sigh of relief...now, what exactly is this surgery? Are they removing your GB? Can they do it with small incisions?? Otherwise, I'm so behind with y'all after only a couple days...oh, I got a question about the skunk-loving community - from Carol? ...just google around. I think there are some folks on Yahoo Groups - skunkchat is one. Be careful about the groups, apparently skunk can mean something else that's x-rated or something that I couldn't figure out. *shrug* OK a little RR: Huntington Beach gave us perfect weather this year, cool and overcast at the start, with the sun coming out and some gentle warming that was not uncomfortable at all. I had met up with three other girlfriends, one of whom - poor thing - spent all day Saturday unable to keep any food down. We ate at the Old Spaghetti Factory in Newport Beach, where I absolutely gorged on bread, salad, spaghetti with browned butter and mizithra cheese (my favorite thing there), spumoni ice cream, and a glass of cheap chianti! Yum!! This spaghetti dish has something like 1/2c of cheese and 1/2 c of butter in it and *I DID NOT CARE*: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2594470644_b77d9e8bc8.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/hannahliesje/2594470644/&usg=__fqFU3_OtVispbmJRuuLavYRhcv4=&h=333&w=500&sz=124&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=lw5hPEUPINCS_M:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspaghetti%2Bfactory%2Bmizithra%2Bcheese%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USSurprisedfficial%26hs%3DWO7%26sa%3DN Everyone else had a blast, even our sickie, who ate some spaghetti which unfortunately didn't stay with her for long Sad Ms. Sickie decided to go for it on Sunday, so I stuck with her during the run...I was VERY impressed! We finished a slow but happy 2:26 -ish. She later said it was the hardest run she'd ever done, harder than any marathon she'd run...I can't even imagine. If it had been me, I would have been a DNS. I looked for The Man in Pink at the beer tent, but I'm sure Mr. Speedy SR had come and gone already as the marathoners had started over an hour before us. Everyone got two beers included with registration, which tasted fabulous even though it was Michelob Ultra - not my favorite Dead Despite the crowds, there was plenty of room on the course. There was an easy but longish hill around mile 3 and another gentle climb around mile 11 that weren't anything, but I did hear others around me complaining. There were two out-and-back portions for the half, much of which ran along Bolsa Chica nature preserve on one side (a salt flat and marsh with abundant bird life) and the ocean on the other. There were also some not-so-scenic oil rigs, but I'm used to that as I grew up going to SoCal beaches. I don't personally like out-and-backs because I find them a little demoralizing, but that's just me. It was easy to ignore the fact that thousands of people had already made the turnaround as there was plenty else to look at. There were a few surf music bands that were fun, playing "Wipe Out" and the like. Almost no other crowd support, save at the end. En route, aid stations offered some kind of electrolyte beverage (Vitalyte) and Sharkies, which were kind of like gummy bears except they were shark-shaped and tasted like they had a little salt. I didn't like them at first, but they sort of grew on me after I decided they wouldn't pull my teeth or fillings out! My friend tried one and thought it tasted like vomit, but...well.. after what she'd been through I can understand. I'd say this would be a good one for people wanting to run an easy HM or M in mid-winter in a place that is likely to have good weather! The little surfboard medal is really cute. At the expo was a display showing off the medal and jacket for the California Dreamin' series (do Surf City, Long Beach, and San Francisco full or HMs within any 2-year period and they are yours) and they were pretty nice. The medal is HUGE! http://www.caldreaminracing.com/Rules.cfm So just SFO and Long Beach for that bit of bling. I'm really looking forward to SFO - usually it's 110F here about that time of year, and probably 50F at start time in SF. I've got reservations for our little Surf City hopefully-a-foursome at the startline hotel. Big grin Like some of you have pointed out, there are some good climbs in SFO - looking at the course map, I see three that look pretty serious. I have exactly one hill or hill-like thing here, down a bluff to the San Joaquin river bottom. It's only about a 0.2 mile climb, and maybe 100 ft. It's on my normal route but it's not enough to be any kind of issue - I guess I should try some repeats on it...? Or just plan to walk those babies... Arla Modified to remove links to pics that didn't work

Ex runner

xor

Actually, Arla, I never made it into the beer tent at all! You and I finished close to the same time... I sat outside the med tent in the finishers' chute for awhile (I wasn't hurt... just watching for friends). Then I had to rush to check out of my hotel. I came back at about the 5 hour mark for marathoners and hung out for awhile. Good job hanging with your friend.

Arla - Great report! And very nice of you to stay with your sick friend. Poor thing! I do agree that she has some cajones to go ahead and run after being unable to keep any food down. Gutsy. And pasta with lots of butter and cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm, yummy!!!! And yes, it's the GB coming out, and for now it'll be laproscopically - 3 small incisions and tada! I have no idea how you can out an organ through such a small incision, but I'm not gonna complain either. The Hub says it must be a slice, dice, and suction job. Now that's a disgusting thought. MTE: Spelling Roll eyes

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

xor

I have no idea who you can out an organ through such a small incision
                            A crazy straw.

Congrats to SR and Arla for there SurfCity accomplishments. Arla, your poor friend. I can't believe she even ran. That plate of spaghetti looks yum......congrats! Leslie, cute pice.........gotta love SR's straw pic, that is funny. Carol, nice to hear you had no owwwwies from your 10-miler. That's a positive sign. O.K., gotta get my slow self movin' this morning, Have a great day........Jewels
                                Nice going Arla and Lopez!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM