Masters Running

His and Her's Eugene Marathon RR (Read 186 times)

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Eugene Marathon 5/3/09 (cross posted from KR) RunrWife Gun Time: 5:15:38 Chip Time: 5:07:10 (PR) Overall: 1467/1715 Female: 610/768 Age GP (45-49): 81/100 Me Gun Time: 3:30:10 Chip Time: 3:29:37 Overall: 297/1715 Male: 251/945 Age GP (50-54): 14/91 Sue talked about doing a marathon about a year ago and we had decided on a fall 2009 race but then she decided to move it up to a spring 2009 race. So 6 months ago I started her “marathon training” slowly working her up to 30 miles a week on four running days. She had raced several ½ marathons and her PR was 2:08 at Shamrock in Virginia Beach. But she had never ran any hills. Of course the area we live in now is all hills. Her first training race was the Seattle Half, then Valentine’s Day Half and finally the Birch Bay 25K (her longest run ever). Next up were several longer training runs of 16, 18 and finally 20, 4 weeks before her marathon debut. She wouldn’t admit it but she did get the taper “worries”. I just laughed and told her it was normal. We left Bremerton Friday afternoon for the drive down to Oregon, not having a hotel reservation for the night yet. We ended up driving straight through to Springfield. After a good meal and several mirco beers at the Hop Valley it was off bed. Saturday had us hitting the Expo, doing a couple of wine tastings (bought 4 bottles), checking into our hotel (close to the start/finish), then dashing off to the dinner get together. Saw MaEcono (what a wonderful lady), Econo (what can I say about her?), Johnny (who dove up and wasn’t running) and Opie (who only closes his mouth to swallow food)(only kidding). Dinner chat was great, catching up on all the goings on. It ended to early but the restaurant had a pretty long line waiting to eat. Marathon morning. It rained most of the night, but as we left the hotel it was only sprinkling. We spotted Opie and Johnny and walked over with them. They headed over to meet up with Econo. Sue wanted just to do her thing so I kissed her and told her to just run the plan and that I was proud of her. I went out with the 3:20 pace group just trying to run the first hill and mile 1 fairly easy (7:57). Mile two was all downhill and our pacer decided on making up the time all at once (7:03). I had trained for a try at 3:15 so at this point even with my HR in the upper 160’s I decided just to go with it. Knowing full well the last miles might be painful. Miles 3 and 4 are very easy uphill, mile 5 the grade increases, mile 6 a nice downhill. Just running through residential areas. 5K (23:12), 10K (46:14). Right on pace. Miles 7 and 8 take you through a nice park area and a nice flat section. The mile 9 is a pretty good hill then a left turn and down through the UofO. 15K (1:08:59) right on pace, but HR is 168. Miles 10 and 11 brings you along the river on a running path then across it. The next 3 miles you are doing a big loop through another residential area and back to the running path. 20K( 1:31:55), ½ (1:37:47). We meet up with the ½ marathoners again but, now instead of them running your pace their running much slower. So it’s the bob and weave or run through them (I didn’t care for this section). 25K(1:55:45). The course brings you back down to the river and along it till just before mile 21 where you cross back over and run back to the Uof O on more running paths. It’s a very nice stretch, a little boring, but pretty. Today I had time to enjoy it. Just after mile 16 I felt the first twinges on a quad cramp. I slowed a little, then 2 miles later I was in survival mode doing the run/walk. 30K(2:20:35), 35K(2:47:53) 40K(3:16:10) 2nd ½ (1:51:50). The sun did come out during my second half and I enjoyed it. I had planned on an attempt at 3:15 and I knew at mile 2 that the effort I was giving was just too high. But, I decided to go with it as far as it would take me. Today it was 18 miles. I did come into the race not fully recovered from helping our son move the weekend before. I did thank all of the volunteers I come into contact with including the one where I missed the cup grab (sorry).. The course was very fair with just over 600 ft up and down. Although I don’t really care for the really rough path sections. Expo was small but, check in was very quick. Good pancakes at the finish with cookies, several types of snacks, subway sandwiches and chocolate milk. Sue’s race: Her plan was to run with the 5:00 pacer. Plan worked well until at a water stop in the middle of the race she lost the group. Thinking they got ahead, she quickened her pace. After a couple of mile she slowed and they caught back up. She did have to walk about a mile and a half (till mile 26) but finished strong. I have the video to prove it. Smile on her face and tears in her eyes, especially after I gave her roses at the finish line. She was tired but had no issues at all. After showers and getting something to eat it was a little late to head over to Duckgeek’s. Sorry we missed everyone there. It was a great weekend.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Congratulations rasmussenmp and runnrwife on your fine races. Meeting up with others from RA and KR makes it even better. TomS
        Congrats to both of you, Well run race with a good first half time. Its nice to have the confinadence to go out strong knowing you may end up suffering later in a race and yet you still had a great overall time. Well done Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

coastwalker

Hi Mike, Congrats to you and Sue on well-run races. I'm sorry about your quad cramp, but am glad that you still enjoyed the race. Sue seems to have done a terrific job of sticking to her plan for the race, and finishing well. Giving her roses at the finish of her first marathon was a very nice gesture. With brews, wine tastings, and meeting up with fellow RA'ers for dinner, it sounds like a great weekend! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Great report! I'm wondering, though, where you got the roses to present to your DW at the finish. I can just picture you running your whole race carrying them! Tongue

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

xor

Pancakes at the finish! That's new. And yummy. Sorry you didn't land your 3:15, but 3:29 is fun and you have a good gauge of where you are now. Awesome that Sue finished strong!

Mariposai

I finished my first marathon in five hours also and to date it is still my most memorable marathon. I have followed runrwife's training off line and I was so excited for her all week, all weekend long I kept thinking of her and sending my prayer for her first victory lap. I knew she would finish her first marathon with a smile in the face and in her heart. She is such a precious jewel! I can't wait to see her in person so I give her a big hug for this great victory lap.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Great job! You are a good coach. Smile

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

Smile on her face and tears in her eyes, especially after I gave her roses at the finish line.
                    Beautiful! Congratulations to Runrwife on becoming a MARATHONER!! I’m sorry though that your own race didn’t go as well as you had hoped. Once those cramps start, there’s not much you can do. Still, 3:29 is pretty darn speedy in my book. Great job to you both and I look forward to meeting up in Seattle!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A big Bravo to both of you! Runrwife, I am very impressed with you, running your first Marathon. You had a great coach, too. He seems to always have good advice, and know just what to do. Roses at the finish! Really classy. Just think what you are going to share in your lives now. It was great seeing you both at the pasta dinner, and wish we had had more time. Congratulations to both of you. Woods Lady