Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 5.9.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry, but this has to be another quick walk-by. Too bad, because there were so many good posts yesterday that I'd like to comment on, but there is not enough time.

Yesterday's 5K race committee meeting was very productive. The FEMA meeting on the new flood-plain maps was so full of jargon and acronyms that most of us had no idea what they were talking about - what a waste.

3.4 relatively e-z RW miles at a little before J-o'clock this morning. I was just trying to stay loose ahead of tomorrow's half. The weather forecast for tomorrow is Twocat's favorite - rain. It rained the last time I did this race, in '06; am I the jinx, or is it the race? My goal for tomorrow is to beat my time from '06, so we'll see how that goes. With a little luck, I'll get to see Milk Truck tomorrow, since he's signed up for the Big Lake Half too.

Have a greta Friday and weekend, whether you are racing, training, dancing, cooking, coaching, planting, traveling, or just relaxing!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Jay and all to follow.

I work with VA and DoD so its a buffet of acronyms. What's really funny is that each agency has similar acronyms that mean completely different things. Sometimes I'm glad I've been near the military my entire life just so I can keep up but I feel for people that only have to encounter the acronym jungle now and then. Good luck.

5 quick overcast and muggy miles prior to my drive to Detroit for meetings and late night return.

Have a great day!

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Today is my last day of work as I retire officially.  I'm feeling fairly melancholy and happy at the same time.  It is amazing to think that this many years have flown by.  Lots of friends, coworkers, and tons of lines of code later I arrive at this day.  Life is an Adventure and we're embarking on our next one.  I'm sure it will be every bit as interesting and exciting as the previous Adventures.

6 very slow miles running this morning.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Congratulations, Bhyll.  Can't imagine what that must feel like.  Part of me would love to join you, part is dreading that day.  DW is probably all on the dread side.  Enjoy MI--I think it's a major improvement over FLA.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker the solution to all such problems http://www.acronymfinder.com/!

DW's operation went smoothly.  Everything went as well as possible and she left the hospital early.  She is recovering today at home, where recovering includes complaining about the weather which is stopping her from running.  Yes, a rough recovery it is!  Which is all to the good.  Not sure what I will do today.  I might try out the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

Byll - I hear your mixed feelings, but retirement is good.  tonight i'm going to a get together for someone i used to work with.  i enjoy those gatherings, much more than the work.

twocat - glad your DW is doing better.

Ran last night through the Arboretum.  Normally the lilacs are in full bloom, but they're at least 1 week later.  however, the fruit trees were still in bloom so it was a lovely 3+ hilly route.  From the top of Peter's Hill, you can see the Boston skyline and all the flowering trees - worth getting there!

Fleet feet & dry roads for the racers

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Enjoy MI--I think it's a major improvement over FLA..

Ahem.  Earlier today, I posted a photo to FB by a friend in Rapid City, SD, where I used to live.  It's a beautiful shot of a deer in the falling snow.  The snow is abundant all around.  The photo was taken yesterday.  Then I went outside in a singlet and running skirt to run 8.5 miles before work as the sun rose, the jasmine bloomed, and the birds called out to one another. 

Best wishes Mr. B.  Hope retirement is all you hope it will be and more.  Just relax and enjoy!  You earned it.

deez,  glad you switched races.  Don't drown on us, and get better/over the allergies soon!

really dislike acronyms.

Thanks for the update Karin.  We should have bet on your race record <gnashing teeth>...... and ouch, that is some serious track work.  Keep posting your TBTs; we're interested (not sure if they are safe to try at home, however ).

Prudent again last night.  Met with the running group and did the bridge over and back twice, but not too fast.  6 total about 8:40 overall pace.  5K tomorrow will be it for speedwork this week.  Just enjoying riding around with my new FUR  bumpersticker [Florida Ultra Runners].

Good luck weekend racers and have fabulous Fridays, everyone.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Congrats Bill.  I know you will make the best of your retirement years.

Home last night and before anything else, may I say thank you to all of you who were following my progress over the last ten days.  Meant the world to me.

1.3 mile very slow walk at the Park this morning.  Hardest part was getting in and out of the car!  My new body shape is something like the Pillsbury Doughboy, so I can't wait for all this bloating to recede.  I wonder how long it will take.

I haven't been following the other news here as I couldn't always get in on my phone at the hospital. Trusting all is well, and Twocat, I hope your wife is okay.   Spareribs

Good morning good people. Not much time for posting these days but I've been skimming the dailies to make sure you've all been behaving yourselves

Good luck with your half tomorrow Jay, and sorry about that unproductive meeting. You are one busy guy!

Congratulations on your retirement Bill. And I've gotta agree with Kevin - you're going to love Michigan. Just ask Tag, or watch the Michigan tourism commercials on television. It's a beautiful state.

Twocat - hope your wife continues to recover from her surgery. If she's already complaining about the weather because she can't run, it sounds like she's close!

How about a picture of that FUR bumper sticker Amos? And I have to say I'm amazed at how quickly you adjusted to the Florida climate after living in South Dakota all those years. Glad you like it there.

Beautiful picture Marj. And I'm happy you're recovering from your jet lag. The Cellcom half/marathon is next weekend and I'm hosting the pasta party again this year. It just won't be the same without you, Henry, Dave and Slo and his family. Maybe one year you'll come back and do it again. The weather forecast looks much better this year!

Finally got a day off. "Slept in" until 5:00 AM and felt like I wasted half the day!  Ran 5 miles in a light rain and if it clears up soon will play 18 holes of golf with DH later this morning.

The Packers' first draft pick this year is named Ha Ha. I love it!

Happy Mother's Day and good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ahem.  Earlier today, I posted a photo to FB by a friend in Rapid City, SD, where I used to live.  It's a beautiful shot of a deer in the falling snow.  The snow is abundant all around.  The photo was taken yesterday.  Then I went outside in a singlet and running skirt to run 8.5 miles before work as the sun rose, the jasmine bloomed, and the birds called out to one another. 

Ahem, yourself.  I would pick running in the snow over the FLA HH&H just about any day of the week.  Although, I will admit that mid-May is a LITTLE late for snow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

It snowed here last night, and the night before, but only an inch or so.  And yesterday during my run there were light flurries.  We're under a winter storm watch for Sunday, with 5-8" of snow predicted.   But I agree with Kevin - way better than H&H!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Liquid Sunshine in Southern Oregon. JTWILI. Although I might not be saying that tomorrow morning if it's still raining while David has his District Track Meet. He's only running the 3000m. The 4x400 team didn't make it. They were in 9th place in the district and they only take the top 8 teams. But he wasn't too disappointed. He knew they didn't have a strong relay team so probably wouldn't make it anyways. 

half day of work, then the office is closing up and we are going bowling for the afternoon. My boss seems to feel like we have to go out and have fun as a group once inawhile apparently. 

Tammy

mrrun

The Cellcom half/marathon is next weekend and I'm hosting the pasta party again this year. It just won't be the same without you, Henry, Dave and Slo and his family. Maybe one year you'll come back and do it again. The weather forecast looks much better this year!

As much as I loved your get together and the half and lambeau field, I doubt we'll be back in WI.  Too many new states to conquer!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations, Bhyll.  Can't imagine what that must feel like.  Part of me would love to join you, part is dreading that day. 

+1

Marj - lovely picture!

Ribs - so glad you are home now.

I will take H&H over snow any day....

No run for me today, just some light weights and core.  I took time off work today because we had an early meeting at DH's job to go over the insurance changes as we enter the enrollment period.  The better tier of insurance, that costs more but covers more (this is what we always get) will no longer be offered to new employees.  Instead, a sort of minimum coverage but inexpensive plan is being pushed.  DH thinks the better tier may be eliminated altogether next year.

Golf league later, if the storms hold off, but it doesn't look likely.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

4 easy/recovery paced miles this morning.  Knee is still a bit weird, I am not sure how my 5K on Sunday is going to go.

Congrats on the bittersweet last day of work Byll.

Congrats to Ribs on getting better.  Was worried there.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."