Masters Running

R&R Saturday--8-23-14 (That's Runs & Races for this group) (Read 40 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Yep--lot's of racing going this weekend--good luck to everybody!  And if you're not racing...have a fun run!

I'm up at J:30 so I get in an hour before the cross country kids show up.  This is an easy weekend...2 1/2 hours, today, and 3 hours, tomorrow.  the next two weekends are going to be brutal!  I don't even want to think about them right now.

Oh--Jay!  Congratulations on winning a hundred dang dollars in your race!  That is cool.

Okay--I gotta go.  See ya!

Dave59

I'm here in Flint. 62, fog, 100% humidity. Doesn't feel bad just sitting around.

One port-o-john stop so far.

Parking lot is filling up with cars fast.

Since I'm not in pr shape, the only thing to do is relax and enjoy the run.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Mike, 5 1/2 hours of running over 2 days is not what most people would call an "easy weekend!" Have fun with the cc kids.

Good luck, Dave! Relaxing and enjoying the run is far from the worst strategy I've every heard. Thanks for yesterday's great shot of Tselbes - Ribs is right - he looks like he'd get carded at every bar.

Ribs, I also always have a sluggish workout after a day off. I hope today finds you peppier.

Nice lake lap yesterday, Stumpy. Have fun on the unofficial half this weekend.

Marj, I've only earned one Saunder's shirt, so I have some work to do to catch up to you!

Steve - Capes on your socks??? Photos please...

Aamos, I saw that sliver of a crescent moon this morning, and it was quite elegant. The book I won is "Evil Intentions" by K.D.Mason. He is a former restaurant owner turned novelist, and this is his 4th book. He self-publishes and promotes, and I don't know if his books sell outside of the local area. It's been fun to watch him develop as a writer. Nice 8er with the Speedsters in the heat on Thursday night.

Nothing worse than that kind of an evil receptionist, Leslie!

Those are long band practices for DS, Enke! It's a good thing he's got food choices nearby... Nice 4.4 in the cool air.

Evanflein, I'm also trying to earn my jacket in our local series, and it's tough. Good luck in today's 5K!

Twocat, you are certainly a hero in my eyes with all that you do (and the way that you cook)! Smart move to cross train by roasting tomatoes in prep for today's race.

PBJ: Studying??? Nah. Nice job on the spin dub.

You sure are putting in some miles this weekend, CNY - I hope you have great runs! Thanks for the update on the Js. The reunion next weekend should be fun.

Tet, a 1/4-mi. swim is long for someone who hasn't been out in a while. I'm glad you found the magic word to get in to see the doc to find out what is going on, and hope that it proves to be not too debilitating.

Good core work, Holly. Sorry tennis got rained out.

4.4 easy miles this morning to help my recovery from Thursday night's race. I mixed some running in with my racewalking to try to restore some muscle balance. Today, I have conservation commission site walks, and then we're taking our niece and girlfriend to the farmer's market and Trader Joe's. They are in charge of deciding what to have for dinner tonight and preparing it, so it'll be a surprise for us. Last night, we all sat at the wine bar at our favorite french restaurant and did wine tastings with our appies and dinner. All told, we sampled 12 different wines. Yum! We wanted to catch a bit of a Taj Mahal concert in a local park, but had too much fun at dinner, and only got to the park just a few minutes before the final song ended. Bummer. BTW, the girls (in their 20's) had no idea who Taj Mahal is.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

No racing for my wings.  We had a flush flood in the fire area that closed the road and made getting to the race impossible for me.  Off to put a few miles in before it gets too hot.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Okay, who is Taj Mahal?

Well, speaking of farmer's markets, today is the day isn't it?  My wife needed 3.2 miles to do 30 for the week, and since my week was pretty much shot anyway with the day off and the wearisome travel, I agreed to do it with her. We parked at the farmer's market, ran in the heat as we got a late start, then shopped at the market.  Bought cantaloupe, tomatoes and honey.

Any time I taste a great cantaloupe, I compare it to the ones I used to buy on the way home from the NJ or Delaware shore from those roadside stands.  That was the best corn and fruit I ever had. I also noticed the long lines at those vendors who sold farm-raised, non-hormonal beef, all cuts. People are more knowledgeable and sensitive on this issue.  We didn't buy any but it was amazing how much beef this guy was selling.

My 3 boys grew up seeing me as the chief cook in the house, and I taught them all I could in how to prepare food, from basic ways to cook an egg (the most important thing to teach a kid), to more sophisticated dishes.  They can cook anything.  So today we're going up to my oldest son's house for dinner and he's going to make us some super surprise dinner. Can't wait.   Spareribs

pfriese

I skipped my planned 5K race this morning and got up early to do a LR with the running club. 15 miles done before it got too hot, plus I saw Opie before he moves off to New Mexico.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

Must be the morning for farmer's market. I got up early to run to try and beat the heat and humidity.  Called it at 4 miles when the sweat dripping in my eyes was burning so badly it was hard to stay focused. Then off to market for some blueberries, brussel sprouts, peppers, carrots, fingerling potatoes and fresh corn on the cob. Will configure some/most of this into our dinner plans this evening, along with a marinated flank steak.

Speaking of concerts, DH and I saw Steely Dan last Tuesday at the Performing Arts Center in Appleton, Wisconsin. Those old guys can still rock!!  One of my all-time favorite groups, and I swear their live concerts are just as good - or better- than their CD's.

Ribs - both of my sons are engaged/married to young ladies who choose to not cook. I'm glad they spent a lot of time with me in the kitchen growing up.  They're fearless trying new stuff. And don't follow recipes very often, which to me is really cool.

Have fun with the cross country team Mike. Where's breakfast this morning? And good luck to all who are racing this weekend!

Mariposai

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPARERIBS!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was wondering why Ribs got invited out for dinner.  Google Images and other people's lack of creativity let me down on finding the proper themed cake.   But for some reason, I'm REALLY hunger and craving BBQ.

Have a happy day and a great dinner.

Yard work XT for me today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Birthday Spareribs.
                      It really would have made me mad

if you had known who the Taj Mahal are ‘cause I sure don’t.
                      Oh Nancy, after the forest fires all summer long somehow spared the famed Cutthroat Classic 11 mile run up and down some of your beloved Methow mountains, I’m so sorry you got stymied by washout mudslides off the burned out slopes blocking the way. With its steady six mile climb to the alpine-flowered ridges and precipitous plummet down a steep, narrow, rocky trail just right for bounding back and forth as if  alpine slalom skiing, it’s still one of my favorites.

Happy Crimming Tom and Dave.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy Birthday, Ribs.

I had a fun time with the cc kids, today.  I did 18.7 miles in 2:43.  I considered doing another 3 mile loop with the coach's wife but went to breakfast, instead.  I made the right choice.

BTY

No running for me but of course I wouldn't miss an opportunity to wish everyone's favorite mentor a happy birthday!

I think it’s funny what you all consider R & R Smile My daughter and I spent the morning together on a Daddy daughter date. We went to Applebee's for a pancake breakfast fundraiser for the girls volleyball team, then joined a crowd at the Empire State Plaza in Albany to watch the old Wellington hotel annex implosion. We got out of there before the ginormous cloud of dust enveloped us. Finished up the morning together at planet fitness, and now she is making some mysterious vegan tacos for lunch.

One port-o-john stop so far.

...oh good, an Action Report........

>>>>>>>>>>HAPPY B'Day Ribbs///////....you're not getting Older, you're,,,,,,,,er,,,,,,,,,well, actually you're getting older.

enjoy it anyway

============

...33-mprnb

deo

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Ribs!

Here's a shot before the Superhero Underwear 10K this morning.  You can't really see it but my hair is painted green.

Like Dave, we had 100% humidity this morning (how is that even possible when it is not actually raining?), and temps in the high 70's at the 8:45 start time.  I was drenched with sweat half a mile in, and for the first time ever in a short race, I grabbed water at all 4 stops (out-and-back course).  I finished in 54:55 (8:49) with fairly even splits, which, given the conditions, felt like all I had to give today.  However, since this is the first time I have run a 10K race, I have a new PR!

Some great costumes were out there, including Batman holding a very tiny Batman baby who was absolutely adorable.  And there were a few brave souls in superhero underwear.....  If there are more pics up on FB later I will post some here.

One mile WU makes 7.2 miles for the day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I lifted this picture from FB, but you have to click on the photo if you want to see me, since RA is cutting me off....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."