Masters Running

Thursday 9/18/14 (Read 35 times)

BlazinCajun

Good Morning Everyone - forgot this

tet - you are boring me - get out there and run run run. By the way congrats on your marathon

Slo_Hand - nice bike ride - haven't ridden that far since I was 19.

TomS - Good job sharpning those baby sitting skills, enjoy those low 40 degree days

tomwhite - past CouchPotatoe

PBJ - sorry about your tendon problems and hope things workout for you

henrun - take care of that achilles and enjoy your cylcling trip this weekend in Portland, Main

Enke - Mr. C sounds like a nice guy and I have a feeling it really wouldn't matter if his 5k time is faster than yours

ribs - Snakes? I don't think any one believes you, enjoy your time in Tampa

BTY - eleven runs over 8 miles in two years - Checked my log and have only twenty-one runs over 8 miles in two years as well.

Erika - Hope the rain is not cold this weekend

wildchild - rock climbing and running - golden aspen leaves - nice!

TwoCat - BlazinCajun is here! Nice job again with the relay

StarrRuns - mixing it up with a 12 mile bike ride

Mariposai - runs twice yesterday and is opening a tire repair service

Holly - closes up Wednesday with a 4.7 mile run

Ran some speed stuff last night and around 7 this morning

Cheers

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

Mariposai

Good morning gang, here is to a fruitful Thursday.

Good morning Andrew. Hb. 3:19 is one of my favorite verses too.

Twocat, great 19 miler yesterday. and yes! the last 3 miles of your long runs is all uphill and it is brutal. Great job in keeping up with the pace yesterday.

Erika, I hope the weather man is wrong and you have a nice weather for your race. Equinox is still in my bucket list. Someday Paul and I will have to come up your way one of these years.

Tetsujin, when is your next marathon?

Tamster, how is the fire your way?

Spareribs, nice blog this week.

With our annual Autumn Leaf run only a week away I have a lot of race directing staff that I need to do on my spare moment, so this will be short. A nice cool and cloudy morning greeted me today during my 6 mile run, 3 miles at tempo.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

StarrRuns lol walking backwards along the recreational path!  Any idea why?

C-R also remember to watch for the alligators.  They come out of the sewer and can grab you by the ankle as you run by.

tetsujin209 I think I also recall wondering how people live in Alaska with their winters.  Forget running, living there seems pretty tough!  Heck, I think New England is too cold in the fall, winter and spring.  Why am I here?

BlazinCajun I hate speed work.  This training stuff is pretty tough.  That 7 this morning sounds a lot more pleasant.

Mariposai see note above to BlazinCajun about that tempo run.  Nice job.

For your future reference file, or if you are hurt now your current reference file I highly suggest reading this blog post at Running Research Junkie http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/the-influence-of-running-speed-on-ankle-and-knee-joint-moments/.  The point that I think most of the people here will find to be of greatest interest is towards the bottom, "pace related injuries were Achilles tendinopathy, gastrocnemius injuries and plantar fasciitis."  The sentence fragment I quoted is about another related study.  In any case, if you have been suffering or are on the boarder of suffering one of these injuries knocking back on the speed work may solve your problem.

Non-running day for me today.  Just elliptical and gym.  I am trying to decide if it is worth going to the track tomorrow to talk to a running coach at 6am.  I suspect that the odds I will use him are near zero.  But, then you never know maybe he will have something useful to say and I will change my mind. Sunday's weather for the 30k I signed up for looks pretty good.  Amazingly, the forecast is for a day's high of 80!  Yahoo, at least one more day of nice weather!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

A lot of comedians  out there; thanks for the confirmation note on chia seeds, deez.  I put tablespoon in almond milk and it pudds up quite nicely!

Hey King tw, the dental surgery isn't related to increasing yummy sweeties due to the advent of grandkids, is it??

And speaking of, how lovely of you, tselbs, but then, I bet you probably enjoyed taking care of your GKs, yes?  Nice run.

enke, keeping fingers crossed!

And for you, PBJ, as Holly expressed, "ouch!"

O yeah, C-R, the snake issue is in check since before last year's marathon.  Try and get your  room on the east side of the motel and you should be set.  I'm staying in Brookline, not far from Fenway.  Can't help it, it's a hardcore addiction.

Um twocat, that's stickS of butter!

Hey Erika, is the rain forecast lightening a little, as maybe "occasional" instead of steady??  I hope??   Say, do you have gloves that are at all waterproof?  When I ran that marathon in March in Ashville, NC, it rained and was in the 40s.  My gloves had NO waterproofing and my hands got really cold as the gloves just held in the cold and wet.

Starr, Xacterly the plan.  Going to rent a car in the Cities and drive north, hoping to get in some leaf peeping (ala wild's golden aspens, perhaps!)  I will be too frozen to take pictures, but DH will, I am sure, heh-heh.

So you're saying our weather is hoomidier than Dallas, RIbs?  And what race is upcoming this weekend?

Mari, good luck with your Autumn Leaf run; are you changing the course just now??

henrun, I have this on my wall at work (from an advert):

"'l'll keep running

Because it's good for my marriage.

I'm not sure if I get really crabby when I don't run,

Or if my husband just gets more annoying when it rains."

Yes, he's seen it and thinks it funny.  He race-walks, too, so......

Little tempo run last night in the neighborhood (weather iffy so no drive to the running shop), about 6 at 8 minute pace and then just 5.5 this am at a 9.  It started raining just at the end; it's interesting how wet you can get in about a quarter mile.

Thursdays are so good!  (Watched some of the Yankee game last night as they are in Tampa.  Time to say good-bye to Jeter....)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

StarrRuns lol walking backwards along the recreational path!  Any idea why?

C-R also remember to watch for the alligators.  They come out of the sewer and can grab you by the ankle as you run by.

tetsujin209 I think I also recall wondering how people live in Alaska with their winters.  Forget running, living there seems pretty tough!  Heck, I think New England is too cold in the fall, winter and spring.  Why am I here?

TwoCat, they were just two teenage girls fooling around, taking selfies maybe? About speedwork, since I am such a newbie at this I just do tempo runs for my speed work and that's been working for me.

We like to watch Alaska the Last Frontier on TV.  It is absolutely gorgeous up there but I don't think I could live like the Kilcher family does.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments about the reunion and also weight-loss photos. I do feel great and look a lot better than I did six months ago. I even had a total stranger whistle at me yesterday and it wasn't a traffic cop or MrStarr. That hasn't happened since, well,,,,, a long time.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

good morning!

Leaving for Newport, Oregon in a few hours. One of my most favorite places to be in Oregon. I'm attending a Search & Seizure law seminar out there (don't be jealous all your lawyerly types) but will have plenty of free time also. Since the weather will be cooler, no smoke in the air, no parental type duties, etc. I really will have no excuse not to get in 2-3 runs out there and wiggle my toes in the sand and surf.

thankfully, we received a good dose of rain through the night. We haven't seen any rain since about May or so, so even though it wasn't significant enough to put out nearby fires, it did help some and the lower temps and higher humidity today will help the firefighters before we head back to 90's this wknd.

Tammy

C-R

Gators too. I know Boston is a tough town but man. Last time all they threw at me was 95 degrees on race day.

Good tag twocat. Also hills can be a achilles' cause.

So I ran an easy 10k at lunch since I will be officiating a HS soccer match tonight. If things fall just right and I can get the game to stay on time I might make my club's night 5k. Gonna be close but what the hey.

Back at it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sorry blazin' but I'm gunna be even more boring until the 10/5 Run-with-the-Fishes 5K with enke, . . .

and maybe somebody else. <<<(Mr.C/Mr.C)>>>

Tammy - have a nice CLE, . . .but no need to send beach photos and make us even more jealous.

Nanciposie - where did you say you found that spare time for RD’ing a race this week?

Is it a duathlon with a bike race part too?  regarding a future marathon, I’m mostly not running anymore unless I can find someone to run with so just let us know when you can get over here on the ocean side of Cascades again, e.g. <<<(hint/hint)>>>> the Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run on 11/1 with francesca and me and maybe dove.  With the 1.9 mile forested loop allowing lots of meets-and-greets with other runners, it’s become one of my favorite event for the last couple of years.     
                  Backwards Starr - with Backwards Vivian moving back close to Seattle (Olympia) from NYC, she might run the Halloween 5K backwards again.  Running backwards sounds goofy enough that I ought to be interested but I’m not.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I even had a total stranger whistle at me yesterday and it wasn't a traffic cop or MrStarr. That hasn't happened since, well,,,,, a long time.

2 miles for me this morning, followed by 30 minutes of weights and core.

I'm taking off slightly early today so I can see most of DD's tennis match.  They start at 4pm and I don't get home until nearly 5:45, so have only been able to catch the last 20 minutes or so of a couple of home matches.  Working north like I do, I can't get to the away games in time to see any of the matches, and she is not scheduled every time anyway.  The only other home match left this season is 9/30, and I have to stay late for a work event, so today will be the last time I get to see her play this year.  She is not a terrific player (yet) but she has a great time, and it is fun to watch.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So I ran an easy 10k at lunch since I will be officiating a HS soccer match tonight. If things fall just right and I can get the game to stay on time I might make my club's night 5k. Gonna be close but what the hey.

Back at it.

Cheers.

Norm--you're the only one with the clock, so who's to know if each half is 5 minutes short? 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BTY

I must have written it wrong - I have done all of those 15k's in the past 4-5 years - not two.  So my last long training run was about 5 years ago. Ugh. Monday's upcoming 8- to 10-miler will be my way of celebrating my 50th birthday.  Notably I ran my longest ever training run on my 42nd birthday - 17.6 miles.  Gone are the 50 mile weeks - I've been having 50 mile months lately.  But this month I should break 100 miles for the month for the first time since I injured my hip, training for a Half Marathon, in 2011.

Today I ran my first Mid-Week Medium-Long run since 2011 also.  It was only 5.25 miles but it's a start.  I progressed, without pushing it, down to 8:30 pace over the last 2.25 miles after starting out at 9:00 pace.   It was another great day to run in Albania - about 60 degrees, dry, and no wind to speak of, at 12:00 PM.

Erika and Trackrat - hoping the rain holds off for a good while during your marathon.

4.3 miles, 61F, it felt balmy.  Sort of a sproinky run, at least at first.

One of my quads was still a bit sore from that hike last Saturday (how long ago was that?    ).  And then my knee started hurting towards the end.  I think it is the lateral meniscus, a bit inflamed.  I hope to do lots of trail miles this weekend, or at least the club run Saturday, without it getting worse.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Busy and chatty group today.

Ran 10+ this morning before biking to a class this afternoon and i'm not even in training for a tri!  wine time soon.

Off to a w/e biking in maine this w/e,

fleet feet and IRC to all w/e racers!

marj

King of PhotoShop

I think they did get most of those snakes out of that hotel now that I think of it.  Not all of them were poisonous so it shouldn't be a big deal to stay there now.

I'm in Tampa now and today went great. No run for me, on purpose as I wanted it as a rest day before Saturday's race.  It is very humid here!  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

When I was down there once and wanted to make sure there weren't any snakes in the room, I forgot to mention no red ants either.  However, SAturday race won't count unless you tell ilene or someone.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)