Masters Running

12/17 Monday (Read 355 times)

TammyinGP

love the snow pic and the nicely grooomed road! On the rare occassions we get much snow, it's usually just a matter of waiting for it to melt and cars making a semi-path on the roadway, since our county doesn't have many plows and they pretty much just stick to the heavily travelled roads and passes.  And since have snow in the forecast for the next 4-5 days, today is the day to get grocery shopping done (thanks DH!)  and head out at lunch time to finish up Christmas shopping, just in case we get snowed in for a few days. And take work home with me incase I can't get out of my driveway. Even the 6 or so inches predicted for my elevation is enough to stop us (which sounds ridiculous since I'm from MN where even a foot or more of snow is certainly not enough to stop you!)

Had a nice wet, sloppy, splashy trail run yesterday at a new area. Met up with our local MeetUp group. Johnny also joined us. He and I did a little bit more than what the group did (they only did 3 miles). It was pretty cold and rainy, so John and I only did 4 miles, then I did another mile with the dogs when I got home. A whopping 5 miles for the whole week last week! 

Tammy

I hope we get some snow too Tammy.  I could use a snow day!

I never ran yesterday, stomach felt a bit green after too many drinks at the party.  I should know better.

Today, well, the wind was so strong it woke me up, and no way was I going out in that, too many trees limbs flying.  I might leave early again today to run before dinner.

So, I was in my first ever pedestrian - bike accident.  I was crossing a busy intersection this morning, ok, I didn't have a walk signal yet but the cars weren't coming at the time and so I was doing what everyone else does.....not good I know, but a punk on a mountain bike comes barreling 90 miles an hour straight at me from the other direction (also illegally crossing the road).  So I slowed down, basically I stopped walking so he could pick which side of me to go around, but I guess he wasn't paying attention and he plowed full speed right into me, I was knocked clear off my feet and backwards landing hard on the ground and he also wiped out.  But, now the light had changed for the cars and they were coming towards us (including a bus; interesting feeling lying on the ground in a busy intersection watching a bus coming towards you), so I had to scramble pronto up and out of the way.  The punk asked me if I was ok, and I was more or less (but really shaken up), then he left.  But, many people had seen the accident and some big burly guy grabbed the guy on the bike and dragged him back over to me to apologize.   I couldn't think of what to say, I just didn't want to deal with such an idiot.

Hope everyone's day is better than mine!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tammy,wow a few inches shutting you guys down. Not that we usually get tons of snow here but 6" is a "life goes on" day for us.

I did 10.5 easy miles this AM at a hair slower than 10:00 pace. I wanted to get about 11 to 12 miles in,but ran out of time. I had to get the kids to school.

I found a gem today!

On my long run days I run down a bike path to a city south of me (Kenosha WI) and head back. In the past I noticed a park off of the bike path in a pretty rural area. Since I wanted to add a few miles onto my run today I headed off the path to this park.  It's about 120 acres of woods and fields with trails running through it! I've never been to this place or heard about it,even though it's about 5 miles from my house. Trails are mostly grass,but a few areas are crushed gravel. Ridges,hills,woods,fields,and secluded! Nobody there at the time I was there.  It's my new running "spot"! I can tack on miles to my long run by just doing the wooded trials there.

enkephalin,glad you're OK. sounds like you took quite a hit!

Slo

Wow Enke...I'm glad your OK...Very Lucky.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

But, many people had seen the accident and some big burly guy grabbed the guy on the bike and dragged him back over to me to apologize.   I couldn't think of what to say, I just didn't want to deal with such an idiot. 

Looks like chivalry is not dead after all.  Glad you're o.k. 

Drake: I envy the shirtless run this morning.

Troy: I don't envy you...brrrr.

Rest:  Great running all.

Was supposed to hit fitness center today...but last week at work for holidays, so you know how that goes.  I did get in some core excercises before work, and maybe if DD is as work tonight I can use weight set in the garage.

Later, folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

C-R

Yikes enke. Glad you're ok and glad some big burly guy grabbed the biker punk by the scruff. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Yea!! for big scruffy guys who still have manners!! Glad you're OK, Enke.  I think we breed idiot drivers, pedestrians, etc., here in Humboldt County.  Or maybe it's all the weed that gets smoked. Roll eyes

Thankfully, the deluge stopped right before I went out the door and it ended up being nice.  Unfortunately, I dressed for colder weather and got a little too warm.  Tomorrow it'll probably be the opposite.

End of the Year Bookkeeping Monday vs. Stabbing Self in the Eye 20,000 Times.  Which is worse?  Right now, it's a toss up.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Yea!! for big scruffy guys who still have manners!! Glad you're OK, Enke.  I think we breed idiot drivers, pedestrians, etc., here in Humboldt County.  Or maybe it's all the weed that gets smoked. Roll eyes

who you calling scruffy?  {Harrison Ford - Star Wars Episode IV}Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Marathon Maniac #957

It's 4:45 and I'm sitting listening to it dump outside. 

Somehow I read this as, "it's 4:45 and I'm sitting taking a dump outside.."     Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - do you take the week between Christmas and New Year's off?

Off from what?  Re: my job, I am so incredibly swamped that, even though I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, I may very well work during that weekend just to keep up.  Seems like every day I go into work and there's another file on my desk of a case that "has to be done by the end of the year."  I had a minor meltdown at a staff meeting today when my boss scolded me for allowing a client to move the signing date out to January.  Our entire team is stressed out to maximum capacity trying to get all this stuff done before the end of the year, and we are all doing the best that we can.  Surprisingly, he apologized, and three people came up to me after the meeting to thank me for speaking up.  On top of the workload, our office is MOVING on the 27th and the 28th, with no slowdown in business as usual during the move.  Yeah, right, THAT will go well.

(sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Yikes enke. Glad you're ok and glad some big burly guy grabbed the biker punk by the scruff. 

+1

Marathon Maniac #957

End of the Year Bookkeeping Monday vs. Stabbing Self in the Eye 20,000 Times.  Which is worse?  Right now, it's a toss up.

Big grin  Right there with ya, kiddo....

Sorry for the overposting, folks, but I only have a few minutes on  the computer.....

Somehow I read this as, "it's 4:45 and I'm sitting taking a dump outside.."     Big grin

Well, considering my recent history with a.m. running issues . . . . .

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Off from what?  Re: my job, I am so incredibly swamped that, even though I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, I may very well work during that weekend just to keep up. 

+1. 

And good on you for standing up to your boss.  And you're moving your offices?  I thought I was struggling.  Good luck.

It helps that my boss understands what I have to get done before the end of the year.  And she understands that all this is new to me.  I've learned a few hard lessons these past 12 months re the bookkeeping.  I'm just so thankful our previous bookkeeper is still around to help straighten out me and another secretary who is handling the books for her firm.  Our regular plaintive cry: "JUDI!! HELP!!" Big grin

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Bushrat Runner

Enke...glad you're okay. Sounds scary. 

Fatozzig...it takes a while. Probably closer to 30 minutes than I would like it to be. 

Jlynne...I haven't really thought about it, so I'll see if I can think them into this post...and I know I wear more than I used to because I've been having trouble with my leg muscles getting grouchy if they get too cold, so I'm overdressed compared to what I used to wear:

Feet: thin liner crew socks, medium weight crew socks, insulated windproof socks. (and shoes...can't forget the shoes, sorry Tet no barefooting in the snow for me...)

Legs: compression shorts and compression calf sleeves, midweight merino wool long johns, midweight running non-tight, goretex pants.

Torso: thin compression tee, Underarmour compression turtleneck, heavy x-static turtleneck, fleece vest, goretex jacket.

Head: thin x-static balaclava with carefully engineered holes for point of nose and breathing, goretex hat, gorgonz ear warmers.

Hands: thin pair of leather and thinsulate driving gloves (this is a state secret, but I'll let you in on it...the best thing to wipe your nose with is smooth shiny leather it doesn't freeze and then rake your nose raw the next time...)

Wow, that looks like a lot of stuff. Maybe it takes me more than 30 minutes. I also had a heart rate monitor on under all that.

Do you ever get in any cross-country skiing, citizen ski races, etc.  I'd sure love to go ski-skating down that road. Is the the one that goes all the way up towards Lake Naknek or however far it goes now?  I always loved it up there in the summer but winter is beautiful too. Do you ever see the lights like erika gets?   I'll be looking wistfully down on the great circle route to Japan next week. Trade ya.

Tet, I don't have cross country skis, but it would be fun. There are a few folks that get in a lot of skiing here some years. Depends on the snow. We don't really have enough to do it very well right now. The roads are pretty unreliable, but it would have been good yesterday. It is the road to Lake Camp, on Naknek Lake. We do see the northern lights here, but we're far enough south that on the quietest nights they don't really put in an appearance. But anything above the minimum barely there northern lights shows up here. 

Have a good trip to Japan. I wouldn't mind visiting someday, but I like it here...