Masters Running

Thursday 8/21 - Is Jay still running? (Read 47 times)

C-R

Morning everyone to come.

On business in NYC and getting to run on the Battery Park path. Good weather and good running. Off to work and the traffic. Yikes.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

No, Jay is out walking - he only runs on ice.

CNY - this is the easy part; the hard part is when you see how much he has matured at thanksgiving or christmas whenever the break comes.  i'll never forget the maturation that occurs after being away from home for 2 months!

ran on the local reservoir last night and got passed by Tag = did he make a quick trip to boston?  I just laughed and kept on running.

and now 3 of our rugrats....

here's legoland with GS and GD1

and the park with GD3 Henry's DS and DIL

marj

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l=en_US/p/Organizer/s_c=0/s_mvm=NAP/s_ru=FALSE/s_se=FDR#state=%7B%22pl%22%3A%7B%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A%2211937803028%22%2C%22pid%22%3A491492843028%2C%22pidx%22%3A6%2C%22vp%22%3A%22s%22%2C%22sb%22%3A5%7D%2C%22ovm%22%3A%7B%22v%22%3A%22s%22%7D%7D

I can't tell from my computer if this worked or not, but this is Sophie.  She's part golden retriever, part great pyrenee, and totally psycho.

11 sproinky miles thos morning.  Must have been leftover energy from the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips that I binged on last night.

Dave59

I ran the same little loop on Monday, Wednesday & today. I haven't been wearing my Garmin, just my old Timex Ironman watch. I start the watch when I leave the driveway and stop it when I get back. All 3 days this week my time has been exactly 29:13. What are the stinking odds of that?

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and Good Morning!

Well who knew, semi-sweet choc chips are the answer?  I thought it was dark choc peanut butter; I had that last night but it did NOT = sproinky for me this am ......only a 1.5 lb increase on the scales.  I was going to blame the weather; the H&H made the front page of our paper, so I thought that was noteworthy (evidently there's a stalled front that is resulting in no cooling breezes so the "heat index" is above 100**).  DH said he thought this am was better than yesterday, however, so I'm sunk.  To salvage my 6.5 mile slog, I detoured by the Bagel Factory and got 6 fresh ones (fresh bagels, the miles remained stale).  DH loves the cinnamon sugar ones but they go quickly, so getting 3 of those was a coupe.  So I did something productive today!

Steve, you're making me work here; Christmas week isn't a big one for races.  OK, so you could do Ocala on the 26th but just run fewer miles.  It will be a nice, small and fun event, with pretty good food--or at least, I'm told there was in the past.  There's a little sort of resort town about 3 hours from me, closer to Tampa area that has a half the weekend before Christmas.  I know several people who recommend it: Mt. Dora Half.  I'm signed up for a half in Madeira Beach (Pinellas County) December 14: Madeira Half.    Note the medal is a chubby Santa Starfish; how can you turn away from that?

It's Friday/weekend eve; have a fun one!

grins,

A

**So, scientists and weather peeps and general know-it-alls here, I have a query .  The quantification of things over 100 when meant to be on a scale baffles me.  Please explain.  I thought 100% means full, or all.  So how can something be at 110%?  How is the heat index over 100?  If a person or article cites to something that is more than 100 and it's a scale-based reference, shouldn't they have to explain what IS the maximum grade or rating possible?  Otherwise, how do you make sense of it?

Thank you, my enlightened friends.  /s/ "in the dark in sunny Florida"

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

I ran the same little loop on Monday, Wednesday & today. I haven't been wearing my Garmin, just my old Timex Ironman watch. I start the watch when I leave the driveway and stop it when I get back. All 3 days this week my time has been exactly 29:13. What are the stinking odds of that?

100 to 1?

Hey, I know!  What size shoe do you wear, Dave?  Maybe it's this:

"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little feet."

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Morning!  Not feeling so peppy here though.  Got in from Rochester at midnight.  Flight delayed from Rochester to O'Hare, so missed my connection.  This morning I set out to run with my wife but had no energy, so I walked with a cup of coffee while she completed her run.  Tomorrow is another day.  Spareribs

BlazinCajun

Did somebody say skunks and bunnies? - Slo_Hand and stumpy77, if I see any wildlife on my runs I count them as successful.

marj - enjoy your time warp and grandchildren - nice photos

Saw a flash yesterday and figured it was AamosY, nice slog today

Holly - Loop de loop away we go - our girls start school Sept. 3

Mariposai - congrats on all that face painting

PBJ keeps a velociraptor - I see deer jerky in your future, nice run this morning

tomwhite - nice workout

Leslie - wow sounds like a lot of work at Waldo then throw on top of that with 14 miles. Good job!

Brian - have a safe trip home today

Saw a Mike E flash about some short things

Love running on those tow paths ribs and CNYrunner - we have one here in Augusta, GA. Ribs, your walk sounded real nice.

StarrRuns - not sure how I used to run without the Garmin

enke - Life is so exciting when waiting on things

Dave59 - three days with the same time, maybe your stuck in a Bill Murray time loop.

Nothing special today - 7 treaddy miles with jet fan an high, lost 1.5 lbs. this week. Last night ran repetitions around our track while DW power walked. Jumped in the hot pool to cool off and stretch.

Andrew
                  ------------------
                  God, my Lord, is my strength;
                  he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                  and enables me to go upon the heights.
                  Hb 3:19

Love running in NYC---Thanks for the start C-R!

And thanks Marj--great advice and so true. Although when I see that he is more than 1,000 miles away on the "Find My Friends" app on my phone, I get a lump in my throat. All fine and I keep thinking roots and wings, roots and wings.....time for the wings now---we've given him the roots! And yes SteveP, I swear he was just 12.  Hope you are feeling okay these days---you've had quite the summer

Ran six miles this morning at mellow pace and will run 11 this evening as a tempo. Building the miles day by day

Sorry about the travel woe Ribs and glad you were able to get out even just to walk.  I think summer travel is sometimes tougher with thunder storms, jammed planes, and increasingly congested air space---even out of a less major market like Rochester.

Say Hey Aamos!

Sophie sounds awesome even as a velociraptor. Hudson can turn faucets on (just not back off!). If he had opposing thumbs on his paws he'd be at the stove cooking up a fine feast!

Mariposai

What a sweet picture of the family, Marj.

Look at PBJ, running 11 sproinky miles. hurrahh.

Spareribs, where were you running the other day (re: picture you posted by the river)

Only Karin can run 5 easy miles and then do a 11 at tempo in the evening. You so rock!!!

Well, kayaking at Omak lake last night  with a friend made me very sore and tired this morning. Only 5 smile miles and loved every second of it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

CNY - this is the easy part; the hard part is when you see how much he has matured at thanksgiving or christmas whenever the break comes. 

So true. I remember when we dropped DS#1 at Michigan Tech. I cried the entire way home. And then, every time I walked by his empty bedroom, I'd cry again. Then he came home for Thanksgiving, stayed out late drinking beer with his friends and left his bedroom trashed when he left. I didn't feel quite as badly after that

Great pictures Marj. How many grandkids do you and Henry have now?

Must be your perfect pace, Dave. Go buy a lottery ticket today!

Sorry about the missed connection and jet lag, Ribs. Nice of you to keep Mrs. Ribs company.

6 miles this morning followed with 5 minutes of jumping rope and 20 minutes of abs/core. Today is DS#2's fiancé's birthday. I'm making her favorite cake - "Death by Chocolate."  Will let you know how it turns out...

JLynne - Ha! 

PBJ - The doggy pic didn't work.

Aamos - After 100, it's just hot or humid or both and I would be close to passing out.

Blazin - It was 14 hrs of driving as opposed to 14 miles of running.  As tired as I was from the fast weekend, 14 miles running probably would've been less exhausting.

Dave - Maybe you should place a bet on something using those numbers.

I had every intention of doing some core/ST this a.m.  Got up at 3:00 to feed the crew (thank you, Wilson, for sleeping in), fell instantly back to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.  Alarm went off at 5:30, fell instantly back to sleep for another hour.  Oh well.

Bonkos tonight at my house, which means a late night, which means it's going to be hard to get up in the a.m. for my 7-mile run. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BlazinCajun

Posted on the wrong thread - oh well;-)

Running - last night it was 6 miles, then this a.m. 8 miles in a sticky, sort of drizzly, humid predawn with 20 min of tempo running in the middle.  The last 6 min were the hardest, and I thought I was gonna throw up at the end.  Suffice to say, my legs are pooped.

I missed the 14+ hours driving but these are the 14 miles that I commented on. Sounds like you had a tough and fulfilling trip. Good job!

Andrew
                            ------------------
                            God, my Lord, is my strength;
                            he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                            and enables me to go upon the heights.
                            Hb 3:19

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

leslie - now that shorty's experienced ultra-volunteering,

tell him he can take it easy next time and just run one with you.

Same attire okay.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj and Mariposai - love the pictures!

I had planned a hill workout this morning, but thunderstorms waylaid those plans.  Fartleks on the TM instead.

6.3 miles total.

School started yesterday, and DD's school tennis team has their first match today (if the rain keeps away).  DD will be playing doubles.  Should be fun to watch!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."