Masters Running

Saturday, 9.6.14 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I woke up too early after a late night with friends in Peabody, MA. The guy is a pediatric dentist, age 68, who specializes in treating patients with special needs. He started the dental screening program for Special Olympics athletes that is now world-wide. I've never met someone so passionate about the work that he does, and that is admirable. And he shows no signs of slowing down because there is always more to be done But he sure can talk! We'd still be sitting somewhere, talking some more, if he had his way.

So I woke up this morning after only about 5 hours of sleep. In a little while, I'll be heading out to the farmer's market, and then to today's racewalking training session. I expect to have some newbies this morning, which is always fun. I'll just do some easy work myself because I have a 5-mile race at 5pm. Race-time temps will be in the mid-80s, with a 70+% chance of rain. As long as there is no lightning, I'll welcome the rain, as I usually wilt badly in hot weather, and rain might help. After the race, I have to race back home, shower, and then join DW at a neighbor's house for a small dinner party. I hope they'll have some refreshing adult beverages...and a pillow for my weary head.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning teammate, Jay and all those who follow.  I was too excited about the trip back East that I literally just tossed and turned all night long.  I am awaiting for my flight now at the airport.  I can't wait to see my dear friends the Twocats tonight.  Watch out East Coast,  my butterfly wings are coming your way.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

IRC this morning...a cool very slight breeze 52 degrees.

Put in 7 randomly running around the town. Un-timed. A right turn here, left turn there...take the hill, scope out the high school, straight shot home.

Few hours at work, go buy a chainsaw, get some bike miles in...need to come up with a plan for the minute steaks I set out for tonight. Laid back day all in all.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Huh? Slowbie, what kind of steaks need a chain saw?
          Have fun with the Rosie team Posie but you have to make up for it with a trip this way to Seattle after you get back, maybe on November 1 <<<(Carkeek12-hrFunRun)>>>
          Jay - no particular reason but could you compare power-walking as for trail runners vs. your race-walking.  I’m thinking power-walking is mainly walking with strong arm thrusting to maintain cadences albeit at lesser stride distance, especially on ascents.  Do race-walkers have trail races or is it all pavement. No particular reason but are there any barefoot race-walkers
          Jay - incidentally, although I can’t imagine loving it, my dentist loves his work too. He undergraduated at the UW with me in 1965 so he’s three years older than your friend.  His first filling on his own was in 1967 but he has no idea how many thousands he’s done in the 47 years since then. I need to ask him how many times he’s been bitten.  He says I’m one of few patients who go to sleep on him.

Jay - what's with a five mile race at 5pm?

Is it going to be on TV like the Olympics or something?.

me - no lightning either but lightening skies during four pre-dawn training miles for possibly breaking the six-hour barrier for the first time in more than two-and-a-half years (also on the same 2% descending gradient on old rails-to-trails grade).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

Well, Minute steaks have been run thru a meat tenderizer for a reason ya know.

Huh? Slowbie, what kind of steaks need a chain saw?

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all and good running.

I ran 14 miles today in HUMID and warm conditions here in PA.  Basically it was a slog fest at the end with shorts, shoes, and socks soaking wet before mile 7.  Needless to say today's run broke no speed records.    Just pushed through to get'er done, though the finish was not pretty and neither was I. 

Enjoy the weekend folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Good morning good people. Lots of posts already - nice to see you all getting the most out of your weekends!

Sorry about your hair Leslie. Just remember the old saying:  "the only difference between a good and bad haircut is two weeks."  Hope it grows back quickly.

Hope your lunch went well Enke.

Hi Slo! Hi Mariposai! Hi Tet! Hi Shadow Runner!"

I got nothin' to report. Saving myself for tomorrow. Though I was up at 4:45 to watch the grandboys while mom and dad did their long run, then to farmer's market, two rummage sales and lawn cutting.

I just the got course info for the Tough Mudder tomorrow. Not sure what I've gotten myself into! Some of the obstacle names are "arctic enema," "balls to the walls," "warrior carry," "fire in your hole," "walk the plank," "Everest," and my favorite - "electroshock therapy." And these are after running over two miles up and down hills in the woods in the mud!  I'm also the oldest person on the team by at least 20 years. I. Am. Scared. DH is coming down to spectate - also to make sure they have all of my insurance and medical information   Wish me luck!

hi guys//.............jay, Claire is visiting and has a Riddle for you......

What loses a Head every morning

and

gets it back every night??

===========

answer later in the show

..............30mprnb

deo

..........good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

. DH is coming down to spectate - also to make sure they have all of my insurance and medical information   Wish me luck!

Always good to have the next of kin nearby.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Slo, minute steaks are enhanced with a bit of seasoning. Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder are pretty good.

Ran a 5 mile race this morning with the Saint at Dallas Running Club.  I'm sure I was just too tired to race, as I was never comfortable. I know it was very hot and humid, but that wasn't the reason. I simply ran out of gas half way through.  Ran 45:25, or 9:05/mile, just awful and certainly didn't place in AG.  The DRC is huge, so if you place in that race you know you have run well. Today is not my day.

But the big news was the Saint's performance in the 55-59 AG, in which she finished 2nd with 48:28.  Very proud of her, as were all our friends who picnicked with us afterwards  Then we went to the Dallas Farmers Market so as not to be outdone by Jay, but all we bought were blueberries.  We're tired now and I think a nap is on the agenda.  Spareribs

Jay, that is a lot of "5's" up after 5 hours sleep, 5 mile race a 5pm. Have a good race and don't get too comfy at the dinner party. Nice story about your dentist.

Oh, how I wish I could have made the Rose Ruiz team at the relay.  Someday..... have fun everyone, and yes, post pictures.

Leslie, I can say that those mudder races would never, ever lure me in.  I just don't think I could do it, or want to.  Go team!

MrStarr and I took care of 3 flats of tomatoes this morning. Fresh salsa in the fridge and 6 quarts in the freezer. While he was out for supplies I went for an easy run and tested out the legs.  All systems go. Garmin is charging and I have a list of stuff not to forget.

Since I am resting today, had time to post our "Biggest Loser" pictures. I wish I could post them side by side. I feel sooooo good about myself and MrStarr too right now.

3/8/14

9/6/14 - six months and 45 pounds later

3/8/14

9/6/14 - 65 pounds later!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Wow,  just wow. Star, Thanks for posting this. What an encouraging victory. 

I am still in Denver.  The copilot did not show up on time for our flight.  We all boarded the plane and got out of it again.  Waiting for the copilot to show up. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Wow ! Star !

What an awesome job. You both look fantastic!

Steve, I hope you get a handle on the muscle problems.  ribs, not bad in your 5 mile race but The Saint really did well.  Starr, you and MrStarr sure did well with your weight loss.

Nice long runs for Twocat and shadow.  Good job on the speedwork for PBJ.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:34 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Starr, congratulations on the combined loss of over 100 lbs! That's fantastic! Whatever you guys are doing, it's definitely working! Have fun at your half in SD, looking forward to a good race report. BTW... salsa in the freezer? Really?

Jlynne, you are an incredible sport. There's no way I'd do one of those mud races. I can't wait to hear how it went. Knowing you, you will have a blast and want to do it again soon!

Have fun, Mariposai! I hope the crew shows up so you can take off. Looking forward to a great relay report with lots of pictures! Nice of Stumpy to join the group.

Great job by the Saint, and well Ribs, sometimes it's just not your day. Nice to get out there even so.

Always nice to see Shadow Runner and PBJ stop by.

Leslie, sorry about the haircut. Hats might be a good idea for awhile. But, it grows back, right? Might be time to get some gel and pomade to play around with.

Yesterday was a rest day. It seems when the motivation is flagging to the point I can't seem to make the time for a run, it's a good time for a rest day. Today is really nice out and not as cold as it's been earlier this week. Not sure where I'll run but 8-10 is the loose plan. Tomorrow is a trip up Ester Dome and the out-and-back! Equinox in two weeks....