Masters Running

Sunday, 6.14.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

When I was driving up to Portsmouth for the Market Square Day 10K yesterday morning, the sky to the east was clearing, but behind me, to the west and south, the clouds were as dark as night. It had rained a bit overnight, and was supposed to clear, but one wondered... However, as I helped staff our Seacoast Series info table before the race, the skies did indeed clear, the sun came out, and the temperatures rose. I got to see a lot of friends then, and it was a treat to see Henry and Marj as they came to pick up their bibs. The race director came along then, so she and Henry talked a bit about the first MSD 10K (about 40 years ago), which Henry ran!

By the start, there were just a few white clouds in the sky, the sun was strong, and the temps had risen into the mid-70s. It was a lot warmer than a lot of us were expecting it to be. There was a breeze, which offered some very welcome relief at a few points along the course. I decided, just for something different, and because I didn't want to take the race too seriously, to start close to the back of the pack, and see how many of my walker buddies (and runners) I could pick off along the way. I wore my white Granite State Racewalkers singlet, grey shorts, blue Mizuno Musha and a blue cap. The first mile or so were tough because I had to do a bit of weaving and speeding up then slowing down to get around other racers. But eventually things opened up, and I could maintain a more consistent pace. I passed many of the other walkers in the first two miles or so. I felt the strength of the sun and the temps fairly quickly, and I faded a bit in the middle miles. At every water stop, I'd take a few sips, and pour the rest on my head to try to cool down. I saw Marj a little beyond mile 4, and we said 'hi' and complained about the heat. Marj finished just after me, and I saw her and Henry again a short while later at the results table. Marj finished 4th in her AG, and Henry was 5th in his - great racing for those two on a hot day! I finished 2nd in the Walker Div, but at 1:08+, it was my worst time ever at this race, and 3 minutes off last year's time. As I was leaving the area I saw Marj and Henry one last time, and got to meet Henry's DS, DIL, and cute little GD - what a great family!

I changed clothes and spent the next few hours volunteering at a booth at the Market Square Day festival that follows the race, and takes over all of downtown Portsmouth. I finally got home at about 3:30, had a snack and much-needed shower, and then DW and I went out to do some errands.

I really wanted to go out for a workout this morning, but my legs said that they might hurt me if I did. So I'll do some yard work cross-training instead today.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice RA meet up, Jay!

4 miles along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa this morning, but no tallrunner sightings. We really enjoyed our day here yesterday and are headed to Montreal in a few hours. Canada is a really great place to spend some time.

Good running today everybody!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Oh Nancy - I was being silly when I said I felt deserted --- hope that didn't make you feel bad. Of course you need to go see your son - I'm just trying to rustle up more female companions!! xo Smile

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice racing Jay!

Enjoy Canada, Roch!

Deez...you're cool.

Henrun

4 miles along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa this morning, but no tallrunner sightings. We really enjoyed our day here yesterday and are headed to Montreal in a few hours. Canada is a really great place to spend some time.

We ran a half marathon along the Rideau Canal a few years ago. Yes, Canada is a great place to spend time. We're heading up to Toronto in 3 weeks to see family and friends. We've also signed up for a 5K along the waterfront while there.

Jay, that was a really great write-up. You said it all for us. I was not ready for the heat or the few hills. My DS walked with me the entire race and was great support. I finished 5th (as Jay mentioned) but the oldest AG was 70+-so I was the oldest participant out there and was happy with my time. I did discuss the early MSD races with the RD and was reminded that the first several were 10 milers-not 10K's. It was also fun running into a couple of old friends who I used to run with in my early days 40 years ago-I see them at races every 4 or 5 years.

This morning my legs were stiff also. While Marj did a short recovery run I walked for a mile. We then turned around and walked another mile (round trip) to a new breakfast place that has a terrific menu and great prices-what we needed in the 'hood.

Next Sunday is my next 10K. Will take it easy this week to rest my weary legs.

Marathon Maniac #957

Some nice racing this weekend, folks, and great that Jay got to meet up with Marj and Henry. Jlynne – 24th out of 250 is a very good placement!

Today is the day I have been dreading: clear fluids day (the day before colonoscopy). Everyone says the prep stuff is the worst part, but for me, it is doing without food for roughly 40 hours. I can’t even remember the last time I have done that – 20-30 years, for sure, and I think diet pills were involved then. I suppose it didn’t help that I made a breakfast of sausage, gravy and biscuits for DH and DS, and waffles with bacon for DD. Orange jello for me. Blech.

Not wanting to do anything that would add to my hunger, I kept my run short, just 2 miles and then about 30 minutes of weights and core. Then an hour of weeding in my garden, a shower, and I am ready to be relatively sedentary the rest of the day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Not wanting to do anything that would add to my hunger, I kept my run short, just 2 miles and then about 30 minutes of weights and core. Then an hour of weeding in my garden...

Yeah...how could that add to anybody's hunger...

No, no all RA goddesses feel guilty!  The Rosie Ruiz Fan Club still has 3 open spots!  Please join up!  We have even booked the condos.  We have a pair of great places, right near the start.  A total of 9 queen beds and 2 twins.  Yes, nothing but grand comfort on our team!  Now the next night . . . maybe bring a sleeping bag.    But that is part of the fun!  

I have a bit of a problem and wonder if anybody here has a suggestion.  Some birds, 2 pairs sparrows I think, have each built their nests in the eaves at the front entrance to my house.  Birds are not house trained and that is a big problem.  Any suggestions on moving them out?  I looked on line and they apparently have several broods per summer so just letting them stay is out of the question.  On the other hand, I do not want to kill a nest full of baby birds.  Is there any solution to this quandary?  Yes, I am a total softie and would soon starve to death if I had to hunt for my food.  I cannot even bring myself to drop a live lobster in boiling water. 

No running for me today.  Just an hour on the elliptical.  I have been abandoned by my DW today while she goes to see her mom.  I am dong chores (planting things, fixing things) and some work.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Twocat, The only thing I got is to destroy nest...sorry. Else you'll just have to wait until the young ones leave. To prevent future nest you can place rubber snakes near the nesting area's. You may need to to nail them down to prevent rain from washing them away. Worked for me.

10 soppy miles. the humidity is crazy high.

Holly...40 hours? I thought it was a 24 hour fast. I've already had my yearly and since I was still 49 (still am) my doc didn't schedule that certain test that is recommended when you turn 50.

Nice read on the report Jay. And nice 2nd place finish!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good afternoon.

what Slo said, Jay.

I have to be zippy as DH is waiting for me.

20 yesterday, not as fast as last Saturday but no Membership Run this weekend.  14 this am with 3 RT bridge crossings.  Hot but cloudy with a red sunrise.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly...40 hours? I thought it was a 24 hour fast.

Nope.  It goes from last evening until tomorrow mid-day, when the procedure is done.

DH just asked me what I am cooking for dinner.

Then he asked what I am cooking for all of DS' friends to eat when they come over later to play games (Risk is a favorite).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, don't do that. Tell them they're on their own. Really. And I found the night before to be the worst (sorry). But have them go get something somewhere and leave you alone.

What a great write up of the Market Square Day 10k with RA meetups, age group awards and a great day all around! Thanks, Jay, I love reading about events like this.

I've never been to the Eastern provinces of Canada, but quite familiar with Yukon Territory and British Columbia. My SIL is from Ontario, and I'd love to get to that side of the country. I know when DH and I go East this October that we'll try to get up to Niagara Falls.

Amy is funny. 20 yesterday and 14 today, no biggie.

I was thinking about what Dave said yesterday about having a plan and making progress. Like Carolyn, I know I should be doing more cross training. I used to be so good at that! But lately, it's been in the form of yard and garden work instead of any formal workout program. But, I do try to vary my runs with easy (or easier), steady state, hills and trails. Lately my focus seems to be on increasing mileage and hitting those 200 mile months. Helps to have a goal, whatever that may be.

Yesterday I was going to just run an easy 6 or so, but DH figured I'd been talking about trails more than running them. So he dropped me off at the trailhead up the hill and I ran down to his office. 2+ miles on trails (some with 4-wheeler damage   ), almost 4 miles on dirt roads, a mile on a really rocky path and about 2 miles on paved bike paths. I ran this one hard because I felt I'd been taking it a bit too easy lately and I've gotten lazy. Got a 10k coming up next week with virtually no speed work other than the 5k about 6 weeks ago. Started at about 1,500 feet, ended about 450 feet 9.2 miles later with the average pace of 7:42. Most miles were around 7:30, only the first two were over 8. Legs felt good throughout, but a little sore this morning. Not sure what to do today.

Holly! Surely they can order pizza or figure something out. Really! The night before is the worst part I agree. 40 hours sounds like a whole lot before you can eat again though. I went right from the test to a local coffee shop and had a coffee and a big ole sandwich. Good Luck.

Love the write-up Jay and that you met up with Marj and Henry and so many others! I am driving up that way soon for a work day at UNH tomorrow. One of the days I'll synch that up better and run too!

Amy! amazing.....I ran 14 today at about 8:30 pace and it took the stuffing out of me for awhile there and only ran four miles on Saturday. Nice running Erika and some good 10k prep.

Love Ottawa and the other eastern parts of Canada. I ran the Ottawa half and full years ago as well as skated on the Rideau during Winterlude during the years I lived in Northern, NY. Time to visit again!

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck with the procedure tomorrow, Holly!  I do not have fond memories of mine when I turned 50.  Of course, with the drugs they give you, you won't remember anything either.

I had a blast at the South park trail marathon today!  Except it was mostly on dirt roads and not trails.  The top part was very snowy, and the RD had shovelled paths through some of the drifts yesterday when he was marking the course!   It was an out and back, and went from 10,000 ft to 13,000 ft.  I got to the turnaround in 3:15 and finished in 5:45.  Fun times, and I knew bunches of people from my ultra group at the race.  It really is much more fun at races when you have friends there.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

3 miles with the Steady Pacer before I drove over the mountain to hang out wit Enkie and her kids. We are having a blast and our Enkie  cooked a lovely steak dinner for me. On to Seattle tomorrow for training.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard