Masters Running

new weekly newbies (Read 481 times)

Me

Kevin, I agree Cheers, Mike
      Hey I was just going to start up a new thread. You beat me to it. Kevin, So you signed up for Disney? Kim wants to do the Minnie Marathon in May. I dont think her knees will be ready. I want to do the Tower of Terror again. Or maybe the Disney Tri. Bob, nice to meet you. I have ran two triathlons and one duathlon on Long Island. Might do another this year too. You passed up a chance to see Spamalot?! Were going to have to think long and hard about letting you in the club after hearing that. But that said, continue to post here. We like experience. What do you think of shin splints? My DD (16) wants to volunteer for the boston marathon. So we might see you there. Welcome Lances mom. I saw the bike and thought of Ms. Armstrong too. Did you get proper fitting running shoes first? And have you been stretching before you run? Very very important. I know from experience and learning the hard way. Deb, bug bug bug. I am bugging you. Get your butt out to the Y. I use two Y's. One is 20 mins away and in a bad part of town. The other 30 mins away on the freeway. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Hi, guys. Thanks for starting the new thread. I was going to after I got in from my run, but then I had to drop my car off at the garage first and Mike beat me to it. Good plan, though. Welcome Nancy and Bob. Glad you're here just on the principle that it's nice to "meet" new folks and also because you make me not have to be the only one who hasn't seen Monty Python or Spamalot. Well, I did see some episodes of Monty Python back in my misspent youth, in college, but it was always during a party at which I'd been a tad over-served, so I don't remember much of it. And, no, it wasn't in black and white, but it feels so long ago that it probably could have been! (I'm still dealing with the realization that my cat is older than all of my students and that my first kindergartners are seniors this year; and I didn't start teaching until I was in my 30s!) I'm taking tomorrow off for some random check-up type things, so I got in a fairly long run this evening. Five miles that I RAN THE WHOLE WAY! And not terribly slowly, for me, anyway. I was somewhere between TP (turtle pace) and SP (slug pace) and felt good the whole way. I'm really working on quad strength, because after running a whopping 0.1 miles in my orthotics yesterday, I'm pretty convinced that strengthening the quads is the only thing that's going to allow me to run at all in the orthotics. I'm kind of shocked at how weird my gait has been and how I've been able to run at all for almost two years. I'm a little sore now, but it's muscle sore, not I-feel-like-every-bone-in-both-feet-has-been-hit-with-a-sledgehammer sore. Time for a late dinner. I'm having fasting bloodwork drawn in the morning, so I'm going to enjoy some whole wheat pasta tonight! Good runs, all, Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Hey all! not much time, but wanted to report in that this night person actually made it to the gym this morning! I did 1.50 miles walking up to 3.9 on the treadmill for 20 minutes, and actually ran 4 minutes & 4.0 Big grin Laurie - I live in Southern Oregon - temps in the winter get down into the teens. I seem to start having trouble breathing about 30 degrees. As it starts to get warmer, then we have tons of burning by the farmers in this rural area, then in the summer there's the ragweed (that I'm allergic to) & I also seem to be allergic to dust which is all year round.. oy! I moved here about 1 1/2 years ago, and believe it or not I did lots better this winter, then the first winter - I avoided getting having a bronchial shutdown so thats a plus. Prior to moving here, I lived my entire live in the Los Angeles area - so this winter thing is new for me. Down there, the main triggers seemed to be dust & smoke from brush fires. Mike - sounds like a fun time at work! thanks for starting the new thread. Linda
            < i'm="" kind="" of="" shocked="" at="" how="" weird="" my="" gait="" has="" been="" and="" how="" i've="" been="" able="" to="" run="" at="" all="" for="" almost="" two="" years="" />>>> Linda, ChiRunning. Did you ever get the video? It can really help with your form and stride. I also think winter is the culprit for my new lung issue. I am pissed at the BAA. I went to their web site last night to sign up as volunteers. Not only do you have to be 18 to run the dang thing, you have to be 18 to volunteer. I dont get it. My 12 and 16 year old are just as capable of handing out water as anyone else. Grrr. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

RookieRider

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. My screenname is because my dog is named Lance and yes he is named after Lance Armstrong. I was looking for a puppy during Tour de France 2 1/2 years ago so it seemed fitting that I name my dog after Lance. Roll eyes I didn't run yesterday. I'm giving myself another day off before I run but I did ride the trainer for 30 mins yesterday. Today I'll do the run/walk thing at the Y. I was reading where a few people say it's too cold or the weather is too bad to run outside. I totally agree. There is too much ice and snow everywhere for me. But once that snow is gone I WILL get outside. But we have more snow coming today. laddoms - I did get properly fitted for my running shoes but I'm trying to remember when that was. I think it may have been 3 years ago. Someone recently suggested (it may have been WINGZ in the c25k forum) that even though I don't have miles on my running shoes, the cusion could be gone because of the age of my shoes. I never considered that idea. I will be getting some new shoes soon. Until than time I will wear my inserts in my shoes for arch support. I thought I was stretching before and after I run but when I think back, I'm not stretching before. I will make sure I do this from now on. I hope everyone is having a great day
              2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
              btb1490

Hi lancesmom, I'm new around here myself. I think you should go see Monty Python at the campus, my guess is seeing with a bunch of other people like that will be a blast. Report back on your experience! Stick around here and be accountable for your workouts, we'll make sure you stick with it. Regarding getting shoes, yeah, after 3 years, they've lost their ability to cushion and support you. Time for new ones. Hey, good excuse to go shopping! And I'd like to add to what Laurie suggested, besides stretching before and after, make sure you warm up and cool down. Stretching a cold muscle can cause you to strain it, so perhaps do something EASY to get the muscles warmed up first, like walking. And its just as important to let them cool down rather than just stopping cold turkey after your workout. stumpy, I don't really know a lot about shinsplits, but as far as icing goes, immediately after your workout is best, and periodically throughout the day if possible. It's not uncommon for an injury to stop hurting after you stop exercising, but that doesn't mean it's gone away. Laurie, thanks, nice to "meet" you too! Once I go see Spamalot, can I be allowed back in the club please? Tell me which races you've done on Long Island! Any plans to return to any of them? I wonder if we've crossed paths before and didn't know it. Regarding your shinsplints, as I told stumpy above, I don't have anything useful to add that you probably don't already know. I only become proficient in the injuries I've sustained myself, and shinsplints surprisingly isn't one of them. I do know that the right shoes are very important, not only for shinsplints, but for many other injuries as well. Finding the right shoe can be tricky. A visit to a good podiatrist, orthopedist, physical therapist or running store is worth it's weight in gold. I hope you get things worked out. I find it hard to believe that the BAA won't allow kids to hand out water. You guys can be renegades and set up your own aid station! I hope you get to be there, and if you can, check out the women's trials on Sunday! That will be inspiring! eliz- we're all runners, right? Why do we have to segregate ourselves based on being a novice or not? Everyone can learn something from everyone, and it's fun to talk about other stuff as well. Do you, or anyone, remember Monty Python's Flying Circus on TV as a kid? Even then, I was into it. I'll congratulate you here as well on your 5 mile accomplishment! It's leaves a soreness you can be proud of! How'd the checkup go today? Linda- so how did you like working out in the AM? Are you a convert now? Well done with the run/walk! A good day to everyone!
                dg.

hi, this is a token reply. more tomorrow. Bob. 1) what kind if IT? 2) thanks for your concern & your solicitous words... but it won't work. come back here... i'll bite your legs off. Big grin Linda, woohoo! sorry if this sounds corny. I'm proud of you. Eliz, woohoo for you too! hi & welcome lancesmom! I didn't know where Galloway was, had to look. my dad lives in Hilliard. I grew up in Upper Arlington. are you from the area? Kevin, from the last thread, thanks. it's nice to be able to do a little something at least. yeah, seems that works. I can also usually be lured by a 'you've been mostly dead all day', or an 'inconceivable!!'. but as long as we're still on m.p. for a bit, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49c-_YOkmMU & I will share. not many of you know this, but I want to be a lumber jack. Mike. I feel like such a pest. but do you think you should start with 4 miles? there are so many nice numbers smaller than that. for your first try. should we take a vote? the thing is, I think I've read that with many injuries, maybe yours included, that the changes in tendons during a run can cause you to not notice the pain, or else to think it stops, but it doesn't mean it isn't doing damage... a lot of times someone doesn't realize they hurt until they are done. 2.96 mile walk run mix this morning. sorry, I haven't even had time to read all the posts. I will tomorrow morning.
                  btb1490

dg what do you call a guy with no legs in the water...? Answer: Bob. Go ahead, bite my legs off. I'll still be able to give you one heck of a headbutt! I'm not dead yet! Loved the youtube clip! What memories! I forget how old I was when watching that stuff, but apparantly my weirdness was evident at an early age. What kind of IT? Started out as a programmer and systems administrator, have since been channeled into specializing in business to business integration. Making our system be able to talk to our customer's and vendor's, and vice versa. I dabble in other stuff too, like disaster recovery and document imaging. Are you in IT?
                      Hola, Ooooohhhh, shes a lumberjack and shes ok, she sleeps all night and she works all day....I sing that one to my kids. They love it. hahaha Check out The Very Best of Eric Idle. Great DVD. My favorite scene, the travel agent. Lance, youre off to a great start. Actually much better than most beginners. I bought cheap shoes and hit the road not knowing what the heck I was doing. It was Dean Karnazes' book and ChiRunning that kept me going. I cant recommend ChiRunning enough! www.chirunning.com. Oh if youre wondering, it will correct your form and technique. They have classes, books, DVD's and the web site. Bob, Kim and I did the Might Northfork tri twice and the Karl Hart duathlon once. She placed 2nd female overall in the du and 2nd in her age group in the northfork. Sorry, just had to take a second to brag. Go see spamalot or buy the DVD monty python whole series set and watch them all, perfect a silly walk, then we will initiate you after your head explodes. Hey Bob, we have something else in common. I work part time in computer repair. Would do it full time but there is no money in it. So I have to keep my regular job for now. Havent ran since sunday but my legs feel fine and I might try a bit tomorrow or Friday. I recruited 3 people to run a 12 mile very hilly trail run in May so I guess I better get going. Adios Laurie

dg.

backward again. Laurie. You're beginning to bug me. Wink thanks! keep it up. no gym yet, but I will I will. still using the TM in the basement. I get to tomorrow, oh boy oh boy. Remember last winter when I was just starting over again? I think you'd joined us by then... anyway, I'm starting to feel the same way. I realize I get to run the next day & am 'glad all over'. I'm so glad you're feeling better. keep it that way! ha. the only thing, is I don't wear high heels. -). DD likes it too. and she can out quote me for the Holy Grail. We have a responsibility to raise 'em right. Bob, you know it was only meant in the nicest possible way. hard to bite somebody's legs off after you've been tossed over a bridge anyway, an incurable optimist I guess. Yes, Boston was the race I meant. Thanks for the article & the plan. I'm going to print them & add them to my file. I'm glad you had your shoes/orthotics etc. analyzed by a properly diligent person. Is there time for you to get used to any adjustments you have to make? how are your sinuses? get better fast. I sort of a little bit am on the fringes of IT. Self taught, , but I program (you're too young. won't have heard of the language. ;-) ) & do some system admin stuff. & general troubleshooting. Most of the programming is fixing & adding new toys to existing programs, but some new stuff. In making the various systems talk, does that including different OS's? Thanks for your encouragement a few days ago about coming back from a layoff. it is hard to know just what to do. doesn't do any good to be impatient. but this one has been 5 months, & I had one that was 3 months -- serious enough that I essentially couldn't do anything, last winter (jan thru march). I just started running the september before that. So if I'm not really really careful, I start going crazy thinking of where I'd like to be, & where I think I might have been if I hadn't allowed this one to happen. This time it should have been preventable. anyway, thanks. any & all suggestions are welcome. Hi Mike. how's your AT? how are your sons? Nancy, you sound pretty determined. I'd say you're doing more than ok. too bad about your shin pain, I hope your new shoes help. Do you have a particular 5K picked out? What kind of dog is Lance? (Hi Lance!) Eliz, I hope your random test turned out well. So cool about your run. makes me smile. Roberta, remember, you're accountable. how're you doing? way too long & out of time. Hi Jem, Linda, Kevin. hope you are all good. Kevin, don't break anything else. oh. pilates & planks this morning, & a new ab routine. callanetics tonight, & i hope some yoga but we'll see. 'nite.

RookieRider

DG - Galloway is just south of Hilliard and Upper Arlington is next to OSU campus where I work. I know these areas well. Where do you live now? I don't have a 5k event picked out yet. It's a little too early for me to know when I will be able to run my first 5k. I did however, email a friend this week and asked him if he'd like to WALK in 5k event. He hasn't picked one yet. Lance is a boxer, 2 1/2 years old. He's white btw. btb - I've had issues getting motivated so making me accountable sure would help. I'd appreciate that from everyone. I always do a warmup 5 minute walk and a 5 minute cooldown walk then stretch. I will add stretching AFTER my warmup walk. I'm in IT also. I hate to admit it but I'm a computer operator on a main frame system. I'm expected to know a lot about a lot of stuff. I know a little about some stuff. Big grin I know more IBM, a litte unix, a little tandem, a little network. I'm the person who does basic determination of a problem then calls the proper support person to fix a problem. Laddoms - The mention of the du and tri is funny. An online friend does a few duathalons. I hope he isn't expecting me to participate in a du. He will be old and gray before that happens. Eliz - That's awesome that you ran 5 miles the WHOLE way. Way to go!! I'll see what I can do about seeing Monty Python and Spamalot. I feel like I've missed an important part of my education.
                          2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
                          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good evening to all. Watching the Celts beat the Cavs. Cable is a wonderful thing. Have to guard against addiction after going for so long without. it'll be really hard when the Sox start up. I love Monty, just can't quote them like the rest of you guys Smile one of the family's favorite tapes is John Cleese in "How to Annoy People" i"ll do my best to ice after runs--have to see if ther's any frozen peas in the freezer Smile Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Just home from the big show (musical at the high school) and it's way past my bed time, but I'm popping in for a few minutes. Kevin - the PT that I worked with last year gave me a great "recipe" for ice packs: 1 part rubbing alcohol and 3 parts water in a double ziplock bag. Stays flexible but gets really, really cold. And never gets mushy like peas. Roll eyes I'm lost with all of the IT talk. I do email. Can find my way around Word and PowerPoint a little. Clueless with the smart board. Can manage music notation software when I have the time. Oh, yeah, and I spend too much time online. Smile Hoping for 2 miles after school tomorrow, but I have to make it through the day of sleep-deprivation first. Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, a giant WOO HOO on your 5 miles of running! That's fantastic. You must feel great. I'm hopelessly behind. Greetings to btb and Nancy! Debbie, yeah, the AT gets a little better and then a little worse. The thing is, it doesn't bother me when I'm running, which allows me to misbehave. But for now, I'm trying to rest it. Haven't run since Sunday (8 miles). And I've gotten new shoes - Brooks Adrenaline again (like Kevin, I think?). So when I start back I'll have that advantage. Also asked the library to order the Noakes book today. Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm going to try to pick it up from another library on Sunday when I pass by it. It looks like a fantastic resource, 900+ pages! Another issue is cramping in my calves, which I'm going to do some research on and try to solve. I had a doozie last night in my sleep. And it's just where I get tight during my runs. My diet is pretty good (a little too good, but that's another issue Angry), but I must be deficient in something - calcium? potassium? magnesium? Gotta look this up. Deb, I'm thrilled that you're running. Cool Hey, what about the dead parrot? Bereft of life, he rests in peace. Or the cheese shop? Or the guy who trained men to defend themselves against fruit? I thought my kids would die laughing when we showed them that one. Have wonderful runs and so on! [Waving to everyone] Jem