Masters Running

Sunday Runs and Daily Living (Read 396 times)

Okay so I have not run yet... But I wanted to say a word to Spareribs since I have not been on the site for quite a few days and was not aware of everything Spareribs and family have been going thru. Spareribs...take care of yourself and I am so happy the operation went well. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I know everything will be fine. You are such a great influence on this site for many reasons. You are an incredible source of knowledge, running and otherwise. You are a class act. You continue to surprise us with your posts, your humor and your incredible ability to understand the human condition. I respect you a lot and wanted to let you know how much your support and advice over the years have meant to me, to my running but also my life. I am sure others on the site and on KR feel the same way. You are very much loved and respected. So take care. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

wildchild

Carolyn

Well said, Tall. We love you, Ribs! (Am I allowed to post here yet? It's still Saturday in Colorado)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Ok...so I have not run either, but I promise I will tomorrow...but today I just want to echo what tall expressed so well here. Spareribs thank you for taking the time of your busy schedule to be part of our lives. Your presence here have made us stronger runners, stronger friends, stronger citizens and stronger human beings. You are a gift to as all. Take care. Mariposai.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

good morning all, it is indeed morning here in sweden, and this is scheduled for a rest day after yesterday's long (!) run of 7.44 miles; it would have been a little longer except the deluge that started just as i reached home dissuaded me from adding on the last bit. and the fact that the temperature had dropped to the 40s the night before dissuaded me from the fjord dip. a nice hot shower felt good, though... catching up, i'd like to add my good wishes to spare ribs and family - hope all goes well, susan
            I may run a short recovery run later on the Treadmill. Thought about running 12 this morning, but could think of no good reason to do so. Wink Spareribs, my mother had a stent put in 5 or 6 years ago and her energy level kicked up a notch (if that's even possible for her!) almost immediately. You will come through feeling great. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tall – well said. Approximately 1.5 hours riding the bike today down on the river trail. Just for you, Tetsujin, I stopped and took off my shoes and ran 1/10th of a mile in my bare feet. I wore my Garmin, but forgot to re-start it again after this break, so I don’t know the exact distance of my ride, but my ave pace was 7:00. I find it hilarious that my ave pace on a bike is still slower than the running pace of lots of you, but then, my inexpensive mountain bike is not really built for speed. I don’t have any pain when I ride the bike, but I think the seat is hard on my strained spot, since my weight rests right on my pelvis near where the tender area is. I might have to invest in a padded cover for my seat. The state cycling championships are taking place today in our little town (www.tourdburg.com, and I may take the kids down later to watch. Apparently they have some kids races, and DD is anxious to compete… Big grin Still, with 90 degree temps forecast, the pool may win out. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Some awesome runs yesterday and if you haven't checked out Twocat's marathon report yet, please do...it's great. Peter: 16 miles in this soup is just staggering...jeez! Larry: Tough 7 miles...way to hang in there...seems like just about the whole country is broiling today. dg: Tell me about Nike Frees..don't know anything about them. Hang in there...you've sure had your share of setbacks. Twocat: Despite the fact that H&H don't get to you like most of us, your 7:00/mile race coming right on the heels of your fine marathon is absolutely great. I'm calling Nike to see what I can do about getting you a contract. Perchcreek: I had to cool off just from reading about your 19-miler..hat's off...go take a nap. Wildchild: I got to get a Garmin too...which model did you get? I'm starting to do some homework on them. Breger: Golf course...wow! Estate homes...wow! GoldenMonkey: 17 1/2 miles on your first post..kudos. Not running today, but a brief (but not all that thrilling) report on the first round of my golf tournament yesterday. I managed to shoot 74, pretty much what I usually shoot but not all that bad because I hadn't played in 6 weeks due to my groin injury and we were playing under tournament conditions. The two under-30 guys in my group can absolutely CRUSH the ball although neither scored particularly well. The bad news: I'm 5 shots off the lead with 6 players ahead of me. One of the players tied for the lead told the local newspaper reporter that he didn't play all that good. The really bad news: If I had elected to play in the super-seniors division, I would have a comfortable lead. Final round this afternoon...colonoscopy tomorrow...nap tomorrow afternoon. DickyG
                Tramps

Good Saturday runs in all that heat! Things weren’t quite as bad here today. 17.2 miles @ 9:13 keeping AHR at 138/71%. Given the heat and humidity, I was pleased with that. The occasional cloud cover and breeze saved the day and I felt pretty good at the end. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The pinnacle of human accomplishment is not the pyramids or space travel or the Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel. No, the most glorious creation in the history of humanity is, without a doubt, air conditioning. I pity the Saint. After Ribs reads that wonderful post from Tall, there’ll be no living with him.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

What kind words from Tall to start my day. Thank you, and all the rest of you for your thoughts. Dicky, the Nike Free is not designed for a great deal of support. It has a cloth upper and almost no support in the heel. It would be ideal as a racing flat for someone who has a mid to forefoot strike or a barefoot runner. I have a pair and I use them mainly for knocking about rather than running. They feel like deck shoes you would wear around a swimming pool. Good luck on the colonoscopy. They will sedate you so that you won't feel anything and it's over before you know it. The prep is worse than the procedure but it isn't all that bad. Family dinner last night at an Asian restaurant in Dallas, good time. Still no walking permitted, so I am with the others who post and aren't doing anything yet! Run well everyone. Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

We posted simultaneously Tramps, and I just saw your comment. Oh, do I agree! Forgot to add, last night we stayed up to watch Christopher Walken host SNL as we are big fans. I think today is going to be Christopher Walken day in our house where we all try to talk like he does, where you put........... emphasis on......... strange places in......... a SENTENCE. Spareribs
                        No running yesterday or today, I tried to play softball Friday & badly strained my right hamstring. Cry Worked a triathlon Saturday that was a 8 hour job. Then tried golf, 46 for 9 holes not bad considering I only golf about twice a year. Got ready to run today hoping that it would loosen up but it didn't workout so I walked about 1.5 miles. Very nice post Tall, Ribs get well soon. Perch you're making everyone else feel like slackers, Roll eyes but that's alright keep up the great workouts Wink Bill, does your treadmill go past that country club? Big grin I regularly go past 2 pig farms and a huge apple orchard. Tramps excellent run, now I'm really jealous Smile Enjoy your Sunday

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

......65-min trail run........found a Really Cool closed infield, and finished up on it, I started my running at UK Lexington, and LOVE running inside a fence-line...... feels like I got my own Field........ ...........70's When I got there, 80's when I left..... ....Life is Good.... ....................good running guys..........off to my 2nd Church.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Long run Sunday here….20.2 miles at 6 AM in 2:56 ---another triple H day, but I felt better than yesterday owing to s-caps (6) and using a Nuun tab in my water. I am a salty and heavy sweater and while the water weight loss doesn’t quite rival Perch’s stats, it comes close---106 pounds at the start of the run and 102 at the finish. A big glass of chocolate milk and a big bowl of cereal with blueberries, raisins and almonds on top will set it all right! Air conditioning and ice….my best friends. My legs feel chewed up after three 70 plus mile weeks, but not completely trashed. The coming week is a step back week in mileage and a busy work travel week—all good. I ran with Iron J this morning as she is back from the Cape and B joined us---revving up her running after a hiatus to have babies. She is an honorary J like myself since we have middle names that begin with the letter J. She had us in stitches with tales of her three year-old and two year-old. We also swapped vacation stories and the desire to freeze time so that we can just run and re-enter the work world at our own pace. Tet, we all tossed our shoes at the end for a half-mile in the damp grass by my house. PF in my left foot lurks occasionally, but the barefoot jaunt felt good today. Wildchild---you are so right about the Adirondack High Peaks. They qualify as “high” at 4,000 feet and there are a few that are just a bit under, but considered official anyway. I climbed about half of them myself when I worked at St. Lawrence University in the 80s and Mr. CNYrunner is a peak bagger---climbed all 46 in NY and NH and wishes to do “real climbing” (his words) in Colorado. No matter the height---the view was spectacular. The views of the Ironman athletes were also pretty spectacular. Some fine specimens out running around….sigh. I hope their competition is going well today up there---it’s pouring rain in Lake Placid now and they are all well into the biking portion. I am tracking a few folks I know on-line and one just wiped out in the rain. yikes. Twocat…I saw that about the New Haven 20k. Bring it---Game on! Evil grin Welcome Golden Monkey----great running and sweet log you have there. Post lots. Nice words for Ribs, Tallrunner---well said. CNYrunner/Karin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Stay cool folks! Out in the HHH for a Tory paced 4 miles (9:02/mi). Dewpoint was 70F but the run was nice (i.e. short) and I felt great afterwards so the Magical Healing worked again. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

1:45 run with Liz this morning in pretty good conditions. Longest run for me in a while and was wiped especially after a late and amazing dinner with a lady I have been dating for a few weeks. We cooked bbq scallops, tomato and boccacini salad, bbq lamb and had a macadamian hazelnut gelato with a raspberry coulis...with a great wine and a nice proseco...divine..this ladies cooking and approach makes me sing... Off to a picnic in a quaint little village this afternoon, hope the rain stays away...then back hear to hopefully see Norman turn the clock on Father time... Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently