Masters Running

Saturday Daily - Where's everyone (Read 39 times)

C-R

I guess you're all racing. Well good luck and do well.

Ran 12 at sub 8 with some buddies this morning on a canal tow path. best kept secret in Indy. So if you visit please try it.

You're correct Mike. I was a sub 20 goal guy last year. I need to lower the bar. Back of my mind says what about sub 18? Sounds goofy but its fun trying and hey if you blow up in a 5k, you can run another one next week on good legs. Hope you "fixed" the car.

Heal up Henry.

Well off to mow the lawn and build a new fire pit. Then triple A baseball with family tonight.

Have a great one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...mornin' CR//......actually sub-Anything sounds pretty good...

=========

......32mprnb

deo

..........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Very nice morning here in the low 50's made for a nice 10 miler for me.  My last tune-up before the Crim in 2-weeks.  Will I see you there Tom2?

Then I went shooting with my daughter and her boyfriend.  First time I have ever fired a gun.  I tried a "1911", 357 revolver, and a Glock 9mm.  Hopefully I wrote those right.  I know less about guns than anyone on the planet.  I got a couple bulls-eyes and shot out the wire holding up the targets only 1 time.  We were shooting from 7 yards away.  One thing I can tell you is that I would never want to get shot.  Seeing it up close is a real experience.   In movies, people get hit multiple times and keep on going.  I don't see how that is possible,

Then I finally got to drive my daughter's brand new Jeep.  It is a great car.

Nothing left to do today but enjoy the beautiful weather with a book out on the back porch.  At least until the sun comes around the back and then I'll move to the front porch. 

Tramps

Low 50s sounds wonderful, Dave.

Nice run, CR.  That's an MP run for me (see below).

Tom--"deo"?  I should probably know this.  "Deep end only"?

I slept in until 8, which was nice but temps were in the upper 70s and humid by the time I got out there.  Much to my surprise, I had a great 6-mile MP run.  I was running by feel and checking pace at the end of each mile and I was repeatedly under my basic sub-8 target, feeling good all the way. Go figure.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Remember I once posted how I hate that last day of the running week where I'm only running to get in the week's goal?  Today was that day. I needed 4.2 to get 35 and I got a late start. Sunny and 90 out and I did 4.5, with the first 3 feeling like I want to kill myself and the last once as fast as I could just because I was disgusted with my own attitude. BUT, another 35 miles in, so now I'm happy.

The Saint and I finalized plans for a week's vacation in Mexico in October.  We were trying to decide whether to go on vacation or get a divorce.  I was pretty much in favor of divorce, because a vacation is over in just one week, but a divorce is something you always have.

Tonight my oldest son comes home from his one week vacation at Rehoboth, DE, which we missed this year because of work, but we'll go next year.  We will pick him up at DFW and get some dinner.

LR scheduled for tomorrow. Hoping for 12 miles. Little by little.  Spareribs

C-R, what canal towpath is that? I know of a number of canals in Ohio but had never heard about canals in Indiana.

Dave59, you're right about the reality of guns. I haven't owned or shot one for over 40 years, but another unrealistic TV/movie scenario is how the handguns don't seem to have any recoil. As you probably found out, they'll about jump out of your hand when you're not used to it. And I'll be MIA at the Crim again this year. Once I broke my 12-year streak it sort of dropped off my radar lately. But I really should go again for old times' sake (and to meet up with TomS again).

We've had a string of picture-perfect days here lately: mornings sunny and low 60s, no more than low 80s by afternoon, and nice cool evenings. Thursday afternoon I rode 20-some miles at speed around the park, then cleaned up at the bathhouse and ran registration for the 43rd annual edition of the run that our club has been managing at the same park. A great evening with good turnout both in racers and club members assisting.

Yesterday my DW and I went back out to the park with our bikes for a picnic and casual 10-mile ride (I could feel the day before's ride in my legs when we started). Then this morning I did 8 miles on the Paint Creek Trail with a few friends, which was the farthest I've run in a while. Apparently we're all getting old since of the four of us, I was the only one not slowed or limited by something or other. The run was capped off later by going out for a nice breakfast and continued swapping of lies.

IRC indeed! Good running and racing everyone...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

The Saint asks me to point out that it was an old Woody Allen joke, and no we are not getting a divorce!  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

...actually sub-Anything sounds pretty good...

I LOVE subs!  Especially turkey and Swiss.

Ribs - Where in Mexico?  My family will be in Playa del Carmen from 10/19 to 10/25.

Yesterday I ran 6.7 miles of fartleks of various distances.  Then I took DS on yet another campus tour, this one of our local state school, Wright State U.  I told him not to rule it out, just because it is local.  DH is strongly suggesting he go his first year locally and than transfer, to save some money. We shall see.  DS wants to go down and look at U of Cincinnati again, so I will schedule that soon.

16 miles for me this morning in 66-73 degrees.  Pleasant in the shade, but the sun was brutal.  I need to get up earlier for these LRs.

DH is using FB to look up old friends, and he found a high school friend from Utah who happens to be working a few weeks in this area.  We are meeting up with him this afternoon to go golfing and then to dinner.  Apparently this guy is now a plastic surgeon who spends a lot of time in 3rd world countries donating his time and skills to helping children with birth defects.  Very cool.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Jay, your race is a one-hour timed event, to see who goes farthest?   I've heard of them for running but never one hour!  Usually 6, 12, 24, 48, etc.   Did you guys read about the woman who set a record for a 48 hour race of something like 242 miles, at some indoor track in Alaska?

That's right, Wildchild - it's a 1-hour timed race on a track. I don't know why it is set at 1-hour, since racewalkers have distance races up to 50K. I can't imagine going 242 miles on a track without getting dizzy or bored silly. I hope, at least, that they reversed direction every once in a while.

Good luck on Sunday, Jay.  By the way, the 1500 racewalking event was right before the 100, last weekend.  The guy out in front looked just like you...or at least the pictures I've seen of you.  He was one of, three or four, who looked like they were actually using the correct form.

Thanks Mike. If the guy in front at your 1500 racewalk looked like me, he must have been pretty slow. I expect to not fare well tomorrow, if only because of the depth & quality of the competition. That 1500 should have been a judged race, and anyone not keeping proper racewalking form should have been DQ'd.

Aamos, it would be an honor for me to have anyone from this group run our Seacoast Half next year.

Nice sub-8 12, C-R! Good luck with the fire pit (post photos!), and have fun at the ball game.

Nice workout, TW.

Sounds like an eventful day with a nice 10-miler, Dave. Good luck with chasing the shade on the porches.

The way you ran this morning, Tramps, maybe you should sleep in more often!

That's why I don't set weekly goals, Ribs. Have fun in Mexico in Oct. - good choice.

Good job of taking advantage of the IRC, Roch, and of having a good time with the liar's club.

Nice running, Holly. You never know what/who you're going to find on FB, eh?

I got up and read for a while this morning before DW and I went to our favorite dive for an early breakfast. Then I dropped DW and home and headed to this morning's racewalking clinic/training session. A newbie came today - she's been speedwalking at an 11:45 pace, but we'll teach her some racewalking techniques and see how much we can get that pace down. She did great today, especially for a newbie. I got in about 2 miles during the session. Then I stopped at the farmer's market and picked up lots of fresh veggies and 3 quarts of blueberries. Next I stopped at the local running store to pick up some completed paper entries for this year's Seacoast Half (I load them into the registration system), and then went to Trader Joe's for some more good eats. On the way home, a sign by the side of the road at Rye Harbor read that our favorite boat had arrived just a short while ago with some fresh sea scallops. So I pulled in and got 2 pounds some of which we'll have for dinner tonight. Now it's time for lunch and then mowing the lawn, just like C-R.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BTY, congrats on 1st 25 mile week since last summer.  henrun, what a bummer about your ankle.   I hope it heals quickly.

Nice long runs for C-R, Dave, and Holly..  Good job on the speedwork for BTY.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 50s and almost calm.  I did 8 miles at an 11:35 pace.

The other day, I read a quote that said, "A 12 minute mile is just as long as a 6 minute mile".  For an old guy who is slowing more and more, this made me feel good.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I LOVE subs!  Especially turkey and Swiss.>>>>>>>>DOYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

while

feeling the Urge to comment on being a NaturalBlonde,

you will be happy to know I resisted it.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

My big goal for the 5k for years was sub-22. When I made it (by seconds), I declared that I was done with 5ks. Of course, I'm not because it's the first race of our local series, but I certainly don't make a habit of them. None of this continually ratcheting down the goal nonsense for me! (Heh, jk, C-R, you clearly have the talent and drive to make it happen so go for it!)

I like Stumpy's analysis of the 'Ribs/Aamos meeting. Personally, I'd love to see Amy again! Hope someone has a camera.... And {{{the Saint}}}, just because.

TomS, you definitely should do the Crim! There are always good stories from that one. Maybe you'll see some other former-CR/RA folks there (Daave, MarkGuy, Larry?) and say hi for us.

Yesterday was so nice here! I'm so glad I decided to take the day off. Not that I did all that much outside, other than ran 6.6 miles at a good tempo'ish pace. Then DH picked me up and we went to look at doors for our garage. People door on the side, not car doors. Already got those ordered. We were going to try to fix an old door and put a window in it, but for just a little bit more we can have a nice new door in the color we want with a window in it and a deadlock. Hmmm... sold! It's going to be so nice when this project is done. But, it's pretty much consuming all discretionary resources, so no fall marathon trip this year. Rats. Hartford, etc will have to wait till another year.

Today will be a work around the house day, with a short easy run somewhere. I've already done too much "quality" runs this week with hills and tempo, but hey when the legs want to go, who am I to say no? Dinner with DS and his GF tonight.

Mariposai

Mexico bound friends, do you need an interpreter???.

C-R, we will need to see a picture of that fire pit.

{{{henrun}}}}

La Tortuga, I thought of you today! Love ya sistahhh!

Spareribs, . Poor The Saint, she will have to put up with you for a whole week while in Mexico Smile.

The Easy Pacer had a blast last night with our Friday night little date. Our 10 month old friend Emma came to visit us for a few hours. She filled our hearts with joy.

Today I was up at 5 to check on a friend who was racing today, then left for a long run. 18 miles total for today (first LR over 13 miles since June). I am so out of shape for long distance running. Time to build up the LR once again.

Go racers go!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhh and the sun was shining during my run

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  You guys all crack me up.  Seriously...I laugh more reading through these dailies than I do all day...hmmm...that might say more about how my days are going than how funny you all are.  But--anyway--thanks for being here.

I did the Senior Games 10K today.  the whole way there I was convincing myself that I had just as good a chance of winning than anybody else.  Plus...it helped that most of the top guys ran the 5k, yesterday.  So, I planned to go out with the leaders and fight as hard as I had to fight to stay with them and see if I could maybe out kick them at the end...at, least...that was the plan all the way to the starting line.  The gun went off and, before the ringing had left my ears, I had changed my race strategy and tried to get as much distance between them and me in the first mile as I could...I know...dumb strategy.  But...today...it worked.  I took 1st overall in 39:31.

Then I ran another 14.5 miles at a brutally slow pace to get in 3 hours for the day.

So...yesterday...I went out to the car to see if I could fix it myself.  Before I even opened the hood, though, I figured I'd start it and see if the problem just magically went away....and it did!  I drove the car today with no problem at all.  The SIL is going to look at it soon, anyway.

What?  Did you all hear that?  Hold on...yep...I thought that's who it was.  My couch is calling me...see ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, congrats on 1st place at the 10k!  How far back was your DW's friend?   I'll bet your "brutally slow pace" for your 14 miles was speedier than I ever run.  Yesterday I ran 15 miles and it took over 3 hours.  That was partly due to all the hills, and fortunately I don't mind running slow.  I'm planning an easy run or bike ride today, since I have a long trail run on tap for tomorrow.

Wow, Holly and Ribs are going to Mexico, and Leslie's going to Hawaii!  Time for me to start planning a cool trip somewhere...

Last night we let the dogs out before bed, and Tazzie had a tussle with a skunk.  So we had to give her a bath with hydrogen peroxide, followed by shampoo, and she still smells bad.  Oh, the joys of dog ownership.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.