Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 8.26.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Did you get over the 'mud' running yesterday, Dave?

I hope you had a good Diva day yesterday, Mariposai.

A 10º drop in the summer can make a huge difference, BC. Yep - gotta watch out for those school buses this time of the year. Wetlands are pretty cool, aren't they?

Nice recovery run with The Saint, Ribs. Watch that heat!

Roch, you like HHH weather? You can have mine...

It sounds like you made the most of your rum-free day, PBJ. Tough call between going to the reunion or the Hartford marathon. Are we placing bets on this proposition?

Good core/weight work, Holly.

I'm glad you had a good NYC trip, C-R. The subways can be fun - but not so much in the heat of the summer.

Funny line from the guy you met at the Crim, Tselbes. I wonder how many docs we are keeping from the Porches they really want? Nice 6er yesterday.

It sounds like David has some fun and challenging races coming up, Tammy. Good luck to him.

Thanks for the chard tutorial, Twocat! I'm glad that giving your quads extra time to heal seems to be paying off.

Congrats to Mr. Starr on his 9-month anniversary, Starr! Nice run & ride for you.

Stumpy, I've had some of that cardboard...

Shadow runner, how does one "discuss 1+ hour of free weights and core exercises?"

BTY, a "baseball sized hematoma" sounds pretty scary to me. How're you doing?  Congrats to your youngsters on passing their tests.

Steve, good luck with the doctor's appointment and the 2nd interview. Yes, it is nice to be courted, by a person or an employer.

Congrats on the Transition hardware, Tet! Who cares about the rest of the tri?

Yesterday's court date was such a needless waste of time. The property owner told the judge they just wanted to to whatever it took to get this over with. So we went into a separate room and wrote a scope-of-work and agreed to a specific deadline. The judge signed it, and we were done. Why this person wouldn't do exactly that at any time for the last 3 years is something I don't understand.

6-and-a-smidge RW miles at 4 o'dark this morning. With no moon, and in street light-less areas, the road was almost impossible to see - thank goodness for painted lines! I tried out a new reflector vest-thingee (with lights) that I just bought for RTB. It is minimal and comfortable. A ground fog keep things reasonably cool this morning, as did a bit of an off-shore breeze. It's going to be a warm and muggy day, so I was glad to get out early.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning everyone.

Just checked the weather when I got into work and discovered that it was 95% humidity this morning.  Which would explain the amount of sweat dripping off of me after a slow 4 miles.  My knee was still talking after about half way.  last morning in the old shoes, so we'll see how the new ones do tomorrow.

I like bright shoes. 

Steve--good luck on the 2nd.  too bad it took 7 years to come to their senses.

Tremendous T times, Tet.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

BTY...My Baseball size hematoma is down to a golf ball and now rock hard. It's been well over a month to get to this point. I smashed my outer shin slipping off a wheel well and got knocked by a 6 inch cast iron pipe. Looked much worse than it was and now it looks like a big ole boil.

I asked a nurse about getting it drained early on and she said not to waste my time or money on it.

Sunday I knocked out a 100+ mile bike ride. Hills, Heat and Humidity...good training day.

This mornings run was turned around during the 2nd block. I thought I had time to get maybe a 30min run in but I had 2nd thoughts after a neraby lighting strike. I could smell the ozone.

BlazinCajun

Jay, thanks for the summary this morning. Always look forward to your posts. Not sure what kind of wetland the property owner has - maybe a beaver will move in on him Seems like running in the dark is faster, but it never is. I have not had any success with battery powered lights while running. The lights always get so corroded from my sweat that they just fall apart.

Stumpy77 - Black and Citron is a nice color.

Slo_Hand - Yikes, I would not have run either. Nice bike ride Sunday

Treadmill workout at work today. Done, Check!

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yesterday's court date was such a needless waste of time.  

With no moon, and in street light-less areas, the road was almost impossible to see - thank goodness for painted lines!

Jay - painted shoulder stripes and center lines also ofter a smoother surface for the barefoot runners and less coeffient of friction for the tires in triathlons.  Too bad about the waste of time in court but I bet the lawyers didn't mind.

PBJ - go to the reunion and see if you can discern any other runners without calling attention to the non-runners that you are one. Maybe you will find another one too and go for a run. I bet they are easy to spot.  You can go running anytime but only once-a-decade to a reunion.
            In this regard, we were really close friends but our high school valedictorian and salutatorian were presidents of the debate and math clubs, respectively.  They did no sports, no hiking, no fishing, no hunting, no nothing.  When they went to college back east, they joined some of their east coast classmates on a whim in the Boston Marathon.  Both ran under three hours!  Too bad the HS track coach limited try outs in those days to members of the school’s other sports teams.
            BTY - I was afraid to look it up but, now that I know what a hematoma is, I realized that the golf-sized one from high school days on my left shin must have finally disappeared a couple of years ago so get ready for yours for a long time.  Same as the clicking in my heel when I try to sneak around the house at night finally disappearing too. Maybe getting old isn’t so bad after all.

ps stumps - a cook at a fish camp in those days said he could deep fry shoe leather and everyone would like it. Sometimes I think he might have

pps deezie - how was your real distance Olympic/International triathlon (1.5k/40K/10K).

no particular reason but how were your transition times? <<<(18sec/18sec)>>>  Smile .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

7.15 miles with the hill gang this morning.  Smallest turnout since I started showing up.  5 were there, 4 of us did the hills.  I was the oldest and slowest which meant I had the shortest recovery time in-between sets, but I survived.  The fast guys dialed it back a bit so I wasn't way, way, way back.

About the most humid morning of the summer so far, so I was soaked.  But it doesn't bother me this year.

My brain is working much better today, thanks for asking Jay.

King of PhotoShop

Stumpy, nice shoes.  I wear black shorts and a yellow top with that color combo.

Just as H&H today but the Saint and I did 5.5 in it and felt okay, about 10:20 pace.

This week I'm writing a Mentor's Learner Guide for a home building company where a more experienced salesperson mentors a new hire.  So for the Introduction, I wrote about the origin of the word "Mentor", which appears in the Odyssey. Before leaving for Troy, Odysseus asks his friend Mentor to watch over his home, including Penelope and the young Telemachus.  The client loved it, which made me very happy.

No one is as thorough and methodical as Twocat when it comes to recipes and good technique. But I just won't do all that work for chard, kale, etc.  But we sure eat a ton of broccoli here and of the cruciferous vegetables, it is a nutritious one.   Spareribs

coastwalker my guess is it is not uncommon for parties to settle on the court house steps.

StarrRuns I am clearly getting old.  What does a bike need with a battery charger?  Also, many congratulations to your DH for remaining sober for 9 months now.

stumpy77 for cardboard to taste good I think you need bacon!    If you just want brightly colored shoes maybe some reflective tape will fix your old ones right up!

BTY so what did your training partner suggest to make it go away that you thought was nuts?

SteveP yes you are totally nuts.  But in a cute harmless sort of way.  However, if you ever think your car will take off if you just push that little button on the dash, pull off to the side and call you family.  Wait for instructions from them regarding what to do next.  It is the first sign of Plan 3XQ and your family has the details.  

Slo_Hand ah yes, lightning and running.  Bad combination.  Good choice.

BlazinCajun TM run.  My sympathies.

tetsujin209 a sub 3 marathon on a lark!  Just incredible!  Oh to have a 20 year old body again!  Just so long as I do not have to go through grad school and the tenure process again!

Dave59 my solution to others wanting to do hill repeats is often to say I will meet them later!  Good for you for doing them.

Spareribs I am not sure how you are making broccoli, but at least the Swiss chard with almonds and golden raisins recipe cannot be much more work.  As they say variety is the spice of life!

File this under the annals of helping my fellow runner to avoid my errors.  I purchased a Red Fox Edge Bluetooth headset at the Flying Pig expo last spring.  The microphone on it worked for three calls.  On call number four it was dead.  I sent it back under the warranty.  They sent me a new one.  The microphone worked badly for the first call.  So, badly we tried disconnecting and reconnecting.  Upon reconnecting the microphone was 100% dead.  I tried everything from powering down the headset and up again to turning the Bluetooth on my cell phone off and on.  Nothing worked.  I then tested the cell phone at home with a rival headset the JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones.  Everything worked just fine.  If you are in the market for a Bluetooth headset, I would not bother with the Red Fox.

While my headset would not work for a call, fortunately it worked for the purpose of listening to music.  That really helped during my 16 mile run this morning.  But what a slog!  On Sunday my legs were strong and I ran great.  Today I could feel my tank running low by mile 8 and near empty by mile 12 and totally empty by 14.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

This morning, Tom4 went out for breakfast with grandpa and grandma.

I'll talk about running next time.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

No one is as thorough and methodical as Twocat when it comes to recipes and good technique. But I just won't do all that work for chard

Sorry, but me to.  Not for chard.  Or Brussels sprouts,either.

Tom - love the picture!

5.6 easy paced miles for me this morning in 70 & 96%.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay, don't you know that "just the way I like it" is an old CR/RA forum phrase to avoid being fined by Ribs for complaining about summer H&H?

And speaking of H&H, I rode 25 miles with the Tuesday senior biking group this morning. After riding out easy for the traditional coffee and doughnut, we took the scenic route on the way back that included some MTB trails through the park; at least it was shady and on the bikes we outran the skeeters and deer flies! The final stop was at a famous local eatery where I had a coney and fries that probably undid all the health benefits of the long, hot ride. :-)

Tough 8-mile run committed to for tomorrow, but at least it's supposed to cool off a bit by then. Hope your running weather is cool too!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

The two Toms are pretty darn cute!

Starr -  HUGE congratulations to your Hub on his 9-month sobriety birthday!

I love broccoli, chard, and brussel sprouts.  Slice up the sprouts and saute them in butter with onion, garlic, and a smidge of sugar.  Yum!  Also roasted with garlic, onions, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and s/p.

Thanks for the recap, Jay.  As usual, I am well behind the curve in here.

Slo - Last summer I racked my shin on my bike when I crashed.  Took forEVER for the hard knot that developed to go away.  . . . . I haven't been on a bike since.  It's dangerous for me and anyone around me for me to be on a bike.

6 miles this a.m. in warm, humid (for the North Coast) conditions.  I was listening to the latest edition of Trail Runner Nation, which was a grab bag of topics with one of my favorite guests of theirs, Warren Pole.  I had to stop running a couple of times because I was laughing so hard.  Let's just say panty liners, running commando (yay or nay), and belching and farting were topics of conversation.  I love that podcast.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon/Evening, depending...

...took some "unplugged" time (but managed a birthday greeting to Ribster, via a quick FB moment)...

LOL at Holly the Hulk!  And greta running!  Congrats.  You are so much fun; you're just going to have a blast as you get older--I predict it.

p.s., I just happen to have roasted brussel sprouts for snack today!  They're good and easy, just quarter or halve them, put them on a cookie sheet and sprinkle olive oil on them.  I added some dill, too.  Very tasty, I promise!

Love the Tag story and photoGood job on your race, Steve.  Appreciate the run-in with the ultra guy.  Glad you were there for him.

TomS, here's to many more b-fasts with Tom4 and CrimsYou ran a super race; I also sympathize as I so often have to make a stop during longer races. Just happy you feel good about having run it, since we all did sort of lean on you to do it!

And aces on hitting your goal, Dave!  Very nice running.

Oh, here's a semi-non connected thought:  Taj Mahal is from Springfield, MA, where I used to live.

tet, you know, don't you think you appreciate the triumphs a lot more at our age??  Congrats to you.

KD MAson is known at Barnes & Noble, Jay.  Say, since you've read his series, do you think you can see his writing improving over time?  Oh, and congrats on bringing home the money!  You know, as far as court goes, I'm not going to court anymore.  I realized I have had a surfeit of lawyer postering, judge pontificating, etc. etc.

Good to hear from you, Starr.  Carolyn and Karin, too: hope the DS and DD both experience ease and enjoyment settling into their new digs and studies.

Oh no, Slo.

O nuts, I'm out of time and so hello everyone, Kevin, Tramps, twocat (keep the recipes coming, please!)

We had 74 degrees this am, felt like fall!  I'm just running easy.  Oh, speaking of road lines, anyone see the story about the highway in the DC area where workers had taped temporary lines on the road while under contruction?  It moved, so the lanes looked as if someone with a few too many had drawn them on the asphalt!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sorry, but me to.  Not for chard.  Or Brussels sprouts,either.

What?!  No Brussels sprouts?! You just ain't cooking them right Holly!  Rinse them (I usually prepare 7 or 8 for each person), cut them in half lengthwise, pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil on them with a teaspoon of garlic salt and some ground pepper, then roast them on the grill for about 20-25 minutes. When the edges turn a little brown and crispy, sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese on them and let it melt. Yum - I could make a meal out of these!

Like the new shoes Kevin - great color choice!

Nice job on the hill work today Dave.

What a great picture of "the Toms"  Aren't grandkids fun?

This was my only day off this week and I wanted to take full advantage it.  Got up at J o'clock and ran 4 miles. Then walked 18 holes with my lady's golf league. Then came home and washed bed sheets and hung them on the clothesline, cut the grass, made some banana bread and took a bike ride. Now I'm putting a small roasting chicken on the grill for dinner. And guess what - we're having Brussels sprouts

Have a great evening everyone!

..we have no recipies//..........since Pickles can't cook, we just pray before every meal.....

GREAT tselbs pics....

=========

leg work day

..........20-min xbike standing

double wgt sessions

.....................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....