Masters Running

What's the coldest you've run in? (Read 254 times)

I really need to do my usual long run tomorrow, but the forecast is for around 5 degrees. I've run in 19 degrees but it just seems that this weather is more bitter. Should I wimp out and do the TM? Would love to hear from those animals out there who run in this type of cold. I love cold weather running, and hate anything over 60 degrees, but am afraid of venturing out in such extreme sub freezing temps.
      Erika has to be the expert around here on this: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/moremilesthandegrees/Forum/605eff27180c4b5d963cb65d79dfa07f But as long as you wear the approriate gear you should be all set, especially if it is just the cold your up against. The bigger problem is snow, sleet, freezing rain etc. That just makes the roads so treacherous and the drivers have a harder time seeing you and you have a harder time with traction. Once again if it's just the cold temps your up against then give it a go and you'll be glad you did...I think! Confused
        Thanks mainerunnah. I did look at Erica's runs and hope she is tuning in so she will motivate me to get out there in less than 12 hours. I guess my biggest concern is getting frostbite on my face as that is the only part uncovered. I will wear a hat, 2 prs of gloves, tights, and a fleece over my long sleeved t..... Advice?
          Yesterday's run at 21 degrees, wind chill 18, was my coldest so far. I only did 3 miles, but felt fairly comfortable the whole way. It was after dark, but it wasn't especially damp or windy. I was actually colder last weekend on a 6-miler when it was in the high 30s, but damp and windy, and I didn't have heavy enough tights on and my thighs and butt were FREEZING the whole way. Last night I wore mid-weight tights with wind pants, two shirts, a light tech jacket, a light windbreaker, and reflective vest. Double thickness tech mittens and smartwool socks and hat. (Oh, yeah, shoes.) Smile Will probably be colder tomorrow and I'm supposed to do 7. I'm hoping the fact that it will be daylight will make it not seem too awful. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'll give my usual cold weather advise: a good coating of lotion on any exposed skin. It seems to cut the wind and the drying out you get at those temps. ETA: I also have a couple pair of fleece socks that I love for anything under 20F. The gap between tights and short socks that I usually wear is no problem above that.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks Eliz and Stumpy. You guys are perfect examples of why I'm not afraid to ask questions on this wonderful site. So, I am going to set alarm for 5 am (on a Saturday, unheard of!) and get out there and try to do a long run (for me anything over 4 miles). I will wear layers, put lots of cream on my face and just do it. Brrrrr. Thanks for movtivating me ! Have to be in N'ville by 9 am so will try to post early and describe the misery excellent run. Helen
                Just get out and run! Before you know it you won't even realize its bitter cold outside. I just got in from a night run a couple of hours ago. Went for a nice 10 miler. Beautiful night! I haven't seen anything above zero on my runs in the last three days. And the colder it gets, the grippier the snow becomes so it's way better than running in slush. Frost bite is not usually the issue. The bigger issue is over dressing and sweating which then freezes. For longer runs of 2 hours or more I try to loop the route so I can change some layers mid run. The only time I got frost bite was during a race when it was 5 below and windy. With the faster paced race and harder breathing, it caused a bit of frost bite inside my nostrils which peeled a few days later. No big deal. And for men the most important piece of equipment is the wind brief to keep the boys protected!

Renee the dog

fussy, Get yourself a neck gator for next time. http://www.amazon.com/SmartWool-Smart-Neck-Gator/dp/B000CEO5HI Adds to the fun of the run by pretending you're getting ready to join a burglary ring.... Clowning around Seriously, I use mine from skiing...actually, I use a whole lot of ski gear to run when it gets unusually cold for here.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

coastwalker

Hi Fussy, Mainrunnah is right - you can always dress for the weather, regardless of how cold (we call it "refreshing") it might be. As long as you've got good surfaces to run on, get out and do it! Especially on particularly "refreshing" days, you'll feel good for not having had your workout schedule dictated by Mother Nature. And you'll be the envy of all your friends, who will be saying behind your back, "Is she nuts???" Big grin Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Today was my coldest run ever at 0-3°F. Yesterday was my second coldest run at 7-8°. Big grin

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Prince of Fatness

Temperatures aren't everything. Is it sunny? Is it windy? I say this because this morning I ran 14 miles in the coldest temps I've ever run in, 6 degrees. But there was no wind, there was brilliant sun, and I had a great run. I've run in temps in the mid 30s. Windy, cloudy, rainy. Much worse than today.

Not at it at all. 

Martin Luther King Day in 2004 did 16.5 miles in -3F at start finished at about 1F no wind. Biggest problem was water froze in 50 minutes.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Helen you have to just get out there and do it. Sounds like you've got pretty good gear... you might want a couple layers on your legs and the neck gaitor suggestion is a good one. I always wear a headband for my ears because I get earaches really easily. If you don't have a neck gaitor, wear a scarf you can pull up over your chin if need be. I don't think you'll get frostbit. I bet you'll surprise yourself with how warm you get after a couple of miles! Let us know how it goes, I'm thinking you'll like it. (read ultra's post again for inspiration) ETA: To answer your original question, the coldest I've run is -30, but the average temp for my run was probably -25 or so.
                              Thanks everybody! I set the alarm for 5:20 and by the time I put on my tights, my long-sleeved t, my fleece, my hat/gloves, I was fine. I went for a leisurely 5 miles and actually wished I had time to do more, but had to cut it short. I didn't even get cold, but the temps were in the high teens, not the 5 degrees predicted. I actually love running in cold weather and prefer it to anything above 60 degrees. I was just worried about the doom and gloom forecast for our little Tennessee Valley but I now realize that if it's above 0 degrees, it's probably going to be ok. Happy running on our long weekend!!! Helen
                              evanflein

Yes Good for you!!!