Masters Running

treadmill causing motion sickness (Read 509 times)

lswife

The title of this post can be amusing if it weren't an actual problem for my husband. We're both in our early 60s, and he wants to join me in exercising (yes, he has our dr's okay). I run/walk 30 minutes on our treadmill which has greatly pleased our dr, and DH wants to begin it too. Whenever he's tried in the past, he's gotten motion sick and stopped the TM before throwing up. He gets that way whether walking slowly or quickly on it. When he was young (a child and teen), he's said he couldn't do a merry-go-round or any ride that simulated motion like that. So, any suggestions - anyone else with that problem? Until the weather gets warmer, he doesn't want to walk outside. Should he just try something else?
    DoppleBock

Is it too late to trade him in on a newer model? Sorry - no help here

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ugh! I can see how that would happen, but unfortunately, I don't have any words of wisdom. Is he watching TV or reading when walking on the TM? If so, this may be contributing to the motion sickness. I can't read while on a TM, but I can watch TV with no problems. Good luck!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Does he get motion sickness while running outdoors (regular)? I'm assuming the answer is no. Your vision is hardwired into your balance system. What he might be getting is a feedback between what he sees and what he feels. He feels like he is moving, but his eyes tell him different. This imbalance can cause vertigo and nausea. He must be hardwired, just a bit more, than most folks. I imagine that it gets worse when he tries to look left , right or tries to have a conversation with someone on the next treadmill over. I don't know if any of these suggestions will work, but he can try to just focus straight ahead and try to "half" lid his eyes. Try to reduce the visual input so to speak. I can run on a tread mill with my eyes closed totally immersed in the music playing on my ipod, but if I glance left or right I tend to feel disoriented and lose my balance. Running While Closing Your Eyes is not Recommended. Or holding the Sensors either. I hope it works, but I guarantee nothing but free advice. good luck. Karl
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I can see how that could happen if he focuses too much on one spot (or watches tv) and loses track of his surroundings. Watching a video the other day with an airplane dogfight, I had to look away or fall off the TM. Looking around can help keep you grounded with your surroundings, which might help your hubby.
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter

Marathon Maniac #3309

I have bad motion sickness also....not so much or a treadmill though. This is what has worked for me, and was almost a miracle cure...even works at amusement parks, really....and it's totally safe and natural too. http://www.healthcastle.com/ginger.shtml Good luck...frusrating getting sick, trying doing something positive, huh TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!