Masters Running

Boomers Boxing Day Runs (Read 898 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos, Isn't that one of the Rorschach tests? Don't know what it means, though. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Up at 3:30, out at 4:45 for 8 miles at 10:05 (or so) pace. I got to wear my new running tights and hat with cute earflaps. I'm really not doing any speedwork these days. Just getting in the miles is about all I can manage. Yesterday's activities left me completely exhausted and I didn't leave the couch for about 3 hours after we got home. Most unlike me. I finally had to drag myself upright and finish cleaning up the kitchen from our cooking extravaganza. The webcam Christmas with the newlyweds in Boston worked great. We ended up on Skype, as AIM seemed to be having problems. Maybe overload on Christmas morning. In a display of utter silliness, we each held our cats up to the camera and had them wave to each other. But, it was fun to be able to ooh and aah over the gifts we exchanged and to be able to see one another and hear familiar voices. We'll have to do it again, for sure. Hi Beerger! Glad you found us! Holly - Absolutely patch your torn shirts. Those patches will be badges of honor!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

hi breeder1! Please don't change the location of this group to the main page -- it is too funny watching Dark Horse go apoplectic every day. Big grin
          What a great morning to run today in NE Ohio. Smile 30 F no wind, trail clear and new tights. Never wore running tights before, Roll eyes DW got them for me (Christmas present) so I tried them, very comfortable. 8.4 miles and it went well, last 2 miles were the fastest. Had to put sweats over the tights so I could stop for coffee on the way home. Saved last nights coffee cake for post run today. Vacation day, good run, coffee and cake oh life is good. DW is mad because she had to work, she says I rub it in but I don't think I do. Wink

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

I realize that runningindc is now my coach, since I am on the DL with PF. Her case is way worse than mine, but she has been very helpful, as has Perchcreek who really had it bad two years ago. Today I did a 1.1 mile walk on the dirt track, then opened it up for a mile or so at tempo pace just because I am so sick and tired of not running. Felt wonderful, but I will know tonight if it was unwise. Nice to see Breger. Mary, if what you have is just a cold, then going out for a run should have no effect on your shaking it. Roch, just a word about this club you are thinking of joining. I hope you do. Your post today shows the value of running with a club group. You will have many runs where the pace is quicker than you would normally go, and you will do it with ease, and become faster. And of course the cameraderie of running with new friends is so wonderful. I belong to two clubs, and not only join in many of the group runs, I also volunteer a lot. I really enjoy them. Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Forgot to mention, after my short run, I worked up a sweat on the piano for four minutes. Wife captured the entire workout on film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY Spareribs
                Mr. Ribs, when did you get a 'fro?
                  SRD for me today. I pretty much stick with a Tu, Thu, Sat, and Sun training plan. Before my 2 BQ marathons in 2007, I added a 5 mile easy run on Wed, for the 5 weeks prior to tapering, just for more mileage. I read a few places that people my age may benefit from more rest days and condensing your mileage into fewer training days. So far, so good.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

SRD for me today. I pretty much stick with a Tu, Thu, Sat, and Sun training plan. Before my 2 BQ marathons in 2007, I added a 5 mile easy run on Wed, for the 5 weeks prior to tapering, just for more mileage. I read a few places that people my age may benefit from more rest days and condensing your mileage into fewer training days. So far, so good.
                    Welcome to the Master's area, Ray!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TammyinGP

Good Morning boomers! After three days of no exercise and gluttony, I must go running tonight after work. I can't stand it any longer.I feel like I've put on 5 lbs - all in the midsection and am repulsed by the sight of chocolate and snacky things! Maybe I'll take a kickboxing class at the gym tonight . . . in celebration of Boxing Day Big grin

Tammy

evanflein

Hi Beerger! Glad to see you could make it. You too, Roy. Things are getting better all the time. Hope PBJ is doing ok... I can't believe that I go for months (like, lots of 'em) without getting sick. I work in an office of sickies and have managed to avoid all their crud for ages. Now, just for Christmas break, I get it. Yuk. My throat feels so raw... I'm sure it'll develop into a full blown head cold here soon. Was up coughing a lot last night... but I still want to run today. I guess that's just how sick I am... Tongue Sorry PDR and others have to work, I'm off till Jan. 2 with nothing but this disaster of a house to clean up on my list! Of course, that could take me till Memorial Day... Holly, stitch 'em up. When I heard about your fall, I figured you'd be ok (or you'd heal up soon enuf) but my first thought was "Oh no, she'll rip her shirt!!" I know exactly how you felt... Hi Mary! Enjoy that Garmin. My old one has the HRM, but I really don't ever use it. The new one I got is the 205 (a door prize drawing!) and the reception is much better. To get a HRM, I'd have to wear the old one and the new one... how geeky would that look? Hi Deb! Hope you are on the mend... Aamos... uh... no, I see a bat. By the way, Steve, my DH got you a bumper sticker. How can I get it to you? (you prolly already have it though...)
                        Henrun

Had to pick up a few things at Trader Joe's today, so I did a 5 mile destination run. Was about to run along the Charles when I encountered a sidewalk full of ice. I turned around and, as I did, a fellow on the bridge pointed out a big horned owl sitting on a branch of a tree at eye level. He shortly flew away. What a pleasant encounter with nature on a beautiful sunny winter day Big grin.
                            Happy Boxing Day Boomers!!! 30 minutes on the spin bike then 40 minute run on a beautiful mild day. Best part is that the roads were clear, so I could run fast...and I did sometimes...great feeling although I drank way too many beers and wine..so it took a while for my head to clear..Looking forward to a quiet night looking at some movies with the girls who are tired too. Take care boomers Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Ribs, that was a mighty fine bit of pianner-playing. I'm off to the pool in a few to knock out some turkey-remediation-laps. I got out yesterday for a mighty fine set of 5x3 min hills in a 8-miler. Yes Will report back later. Tonight, I get to show my Dad and his friend the world-famous Butchart Gardens all lit up for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it.
                              TammyinGP

oh Sally - I bet it's gorgeous there all lit up! When I lived in Seattle, my mom and I took the Clipper up there for a day and toured the gardens. It was earlier in the season and the roses weren't in bloom yet, but the rest of the gardens were so breathtaking. I have so many wonderful photographs from there. I hope you can share some pictures of the gardens all lit up. I'd love to see it. I really need to get back to work and stop staring at Tall's avatar . . .

Tammy