Masters Running

Monday, 6.29.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

DW called early this afternoon to say she and her friend were going to a spa.I spent the rest of the day grocery shopping, vacuuming, mopping floors, doing laundry. What's wrong with this picture...? (Well, nothing. DW deserves a break.)

Okay, but why is it her job to begin with?  Reminds me of when DH would say he was "helping" me with the housework and I would say, who made it MY job!  Sorry, Jay, just giving you a hard time...

Holly, those aren't all her jobs; I was just pointing out the different day that DW and I had. I always do the grocery shopping and the floors, and we divide the rest of the chores. Sheesh...no respect...

I really wanted to get out for a workout this morning, but way overslept (till almost 5!). I must have been exhausted from all those chores I did yesterday! So I missed my op, and will have to wait till tomorrow. Bummer.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Hey All !

Fantastic weekend spent with a few fellow Masters.

I snuck out into the dense fog and logged 6 miles at a nice easy pace.

Not sure what's wrong with my Garmin but race morning it decided it wasn't going to leave the bootup screen. After several attempts and a hard reboot it finally decided to wake up. This morning it did the same thing again. So I ran nekkid...no gps, no watch, no phone with run tracker.

Does my run still count?

Dave59

Hey folks.  To avoid Post Event Letdown Syndrome (PELS) I went back to the routine I started a few weeks before the race.  That means that today was a gym day.  Warm-up on ARC trainer and then some weights.

Just as I was leaving the frat house yesterday, I was handed a loaf of bread and was told it was "English Muffin Bread".  I cut into it this morning and had a couple pieces and it was great.  So thanks to whoever made that.

Mariposai

Howdie friends.

Slow, 6 miles post marathon is very nice!

Jay, you are one thoughtful man to do the extra chores around your nest to welcome your DW back. My DH also go the extra mile to ensure that our nest is in order when I return from a trip. When the kids were little he would give the boys little chores and have them write little notes to mama to welcome me back.

It was 82 at 6am this morning. It got to 109 yesterday. 5 smile miles even, Kermel grade did not stop me from chatting away with my rocking running partner as we run up the hill. Great way to start a Monday I would say.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Just as I was leaving the frat house yesterday, I was handed a loaf of bread and was told it was "English Muffin Bread".  I cut into it this morning and had a couple pieces and it was great.  So thanks to whoever made that.

Yeah, English muffin bread is great stuff! Can you send a chunk down to me?

My previously-injured left hammy was just a bit tight still this morning, but I don't suspect any long-term damage. So I did take the day off from running, mowed the lawn this morning instead (it poured rain over the weekend here while we were having perfect weather "up north"), and will probably bike tomorrow and get a recovery run in on Wednesday.

Hope everyone is off to a good start to your week!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

. So I ran nekkid...no gps, no watch, no phone with run tracker.

Does my run still count?

that's the way I always run - altho phone has run tracker i don't use it!

Jay - thx for being out there yesterday.  my DD said she squished after mile 1, but was glad she ran the race altho her time was slow.  she wanted to know how to dry out shoes - turns out she has only one pair - ah to be young & foolish!

ran just over 6 slowly, but it felt good (and not post-race)

love the pics on the other thread!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS made that.  He brought two loaves, but we ate the other loaf.

Jay - just ribbing....

Mariposai - that is hot!

No run for me today.  There was a steady pouring rain when I got up, so I did about 25 minutes of weights and core instead.

What a great weekend!  But now it's time to get back to the diet plan and focus on dropping this extra few lbs.

Right now I'm just trying to have a nice attitude at work, instead of crawling under my desk to hide from the load of work stacked on top....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya, and still just barely good morning,

Congrats on a super Half, TW!

Thanks to all the RA folks (Michelle, Tara and Liah included, of course, on their honorary RA basis--we gave 'em passports  as they fit right in)  who made the past weekend so outstanding.  And to Tag, the wonderdog. 

Got in a 10K this am before work.  Signs are up warning folks the Cape Coral bridge (a Florida "hill") will be closed Saturday (that 's where one of the July 4th  5Ks will take place) so have to get out the speedy shoes.  (The shoes I wore Saturday are Pumas and have over 12 marathons on them, so I very reluctantly have to put them out to pasture, I guess .  I have [obviously] really enjoyed them.)

NOT only am I suffering from PELS (see Dave's post), I just realized I don't have a marathon scheduled for July!

Oh, and a running chum/newspaper reporter from here just last week moved to Yakima to work for the paper there.  I believe she packed some of our weather to ease her entry into the great PNW, so blame her (she's a Maniac, too): Tammy Ayer.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

So glad all of you ran well and had fun together, and English muffin bread is very good. No wonder Tselbs made it.

Seems my problems from Saturday were more about not warming up enough.  I should have run 3 miles, not 1 to run a 5K.  yesterday I ran six and felt good, even finished with a quarter mile in 1:53, which was not all out, but a good brisk finish, so I deem myself okay.

Had teeth cleaning this morning and ran 2 easy miles afterwards..  Slow day today.  Spareribs

I've still got a grin on my face thinking of the Charlevoix weekend and the fantastic people I spent it with (Holly, Tara, Leah, Steve (Slo), Steve (Batman), Michelle, Tag, Amy, Dave, and Doug.

wild, good job in your 50K.  Mike, nice long run.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:35 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Glad to see that all the Charlevoix party-goers runners have made it home safe and sound. Sure looks like it was a fantastic weekend!

Also glad to see that Ribs appears to be ok and Jay really does share the load (although I think we knew that, right?). Good for Dave to get back into the routine (how'd the open house go?).

Slo, my Garmin has been acting stoopid lately like that, too. I think it wants to retire and be replaced. Hey, didn't you have a birthday last weekend??

We had nothing but rain, rain, rain on Saturday. It lightened up enough toward the end of the day that I got in a nice 9.6 mile tempo run (I think I already shared that though). We were hoping the rain would put out or dampen some of the fires, but apparently it only slowed them down. But, Sunday was bright and clear and beautiful so I spent my afternoon running 17.1 miles at a probably-too-fast pace, and felt pretty good until the last three or so miles when it was clear I should've made better arrangements for hydration along the way. DH was going to meet me along the way with my water, but I went a different route and almost did an out-and-back, so he wasn't really sure where I was at any point in time. Ah, planning...not my strong point. So, I made it to his office and quickly downed two full water bottles, then we headed to the store where I got some chocolate milk. Then another bottle of water. Got home, still down over 3 lbs. Oops. Oh well, it was a good run, a beautiful day, and I'm delighted to have gotten over 15 miles finally! Spent a couple hours weeding the garden and thinning beets.

Oh, we had a tree fall on a powerline last night! Just before dinnertime, of course. Lots of sparks and arcing, but no fire (thank goodness we had that rain yesterday). The fire department was there within minute of our call, and they declared it not a fire emergency but they stuck around until the electric company got there. It was pretty cool to see how they fixed it so fast... cut the tree, splice the wire, tighten it back up and reset the transformers. It was maybe 2 hours from tree fall to power back on. Incredible service, really.

C-R

Hey all. Got a nice run at lunch today. Enjoying some cooler weather. Wish we could send some your way Mariposai. Felt more like myself on the run. One day at a time I guess.

Jay slept late? 5 am?

Glad things are better Ribs.

Careful with that hammy Roch.

Sounds like that Michigan meet up was a blast. Good to hear.

Sounds like central Indiana hills Amy.

Those electric utility guys earn their keep. Glad they got you back so quickly evanflein. Once upon a time I worked for an electric company and those crews work hard.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

Jay, my thought when I read about you vacuuming and mopping floors was:  swoon!   Your DW is a lucky gal!

And Mariposai - your DH straightens up before you get home from a trip?  Wow!  My DH is really good at making messes (he always has lots of projects going on at once), but he's not so good at cleaning up after himself!   He does cook, go grocery shopping, and do laundry (except the folding and putting away part!).

I hope you weekend racers are recovering!  My run yesterday felt fine, but today my legs felt like lead.  I planned to do my usual 7.5 mile loop in the state park, but turned around at 2.5 and went back the way I came.

Since tomorrow is the last day of June, I wanted to post a handy table of primes so you can plan your runs tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hey friends!!  Sounds like a pretty good Monday here after an especially great weekend!! So glad all our Charlevoix runners had such a great time!!

I woke up early for you Jay and did an easy 4.5 miles before work....love running in Boston. Did a loop from the hospital garage, to Jamaica Pond, around the pond then back to the hospital .... great way to start the day!!

Also, had the best day since EPIC started -- the computer system is starting to get a little easier and after a week of ridiculous census and acuity last week, we actually seem to have a little downtime in the schedules this week. So nice to have a breather!!

Glad your power was restored so quickly Erika!

denise

wildchild I was reading your bear post to my DW.  That is one problem we certainly do not have!

tetsujin209 I just checked my shoe size and it does seem you have all the big feet out west.  

lamerunner I hope you continue to mend up.  Assuming you do I have a great idea!  Join the Rosie Ruiz Relay team for this September's Reach the Beach Relay.  A non-stop 30 hour party on wheels is surely the best way to celebrate your progress!  Just send me a message and I will send you all the details.

tselbs how about posting that bread recipe?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Slo_Hand and evanflein my Garmin does that every now and then, but not to the extent that Slo_Hand reported.  There are some new GPS watches coming out that will track your heart rate without a chest strap.  I just  want my Garmin to make it to when the reviews for the new strapless heart rate GPS watches come out.

No running for me today.  Just an hour on the elliptical.

<Start Rant>

I figured out that the HM I ran yesterday computes placement by gun time rather than chip time.  How stupid is that?  Yes, I know it is the current USATF rule.  How stupid is that?  All it does is encourage people too slow to run at the front to line up at the front.  Are you a 50+ AG runner with a chance to place?  Yes?  Better line up front even if you cannot keep up with the 20 to 40 somethings that will blast ahead of you.  Of course, you will be in their way but rules are rules and you need to make sure you are not lined up behind others you are competing with for one of those AG trophies.  Just a really dumb policy.  My chip time was about 20 seconds behind my gun time.  Enough to drop me from 10 to 11 place.  I do not care.  But, I bet that if someone came in 4th instead of 3rd because they lined up where they should have they would have been mad, mad, mad.

<End Rant>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/