Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.28.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Drive-by posting today; I have a meeting in half an hour.

It was mild and muggy at 4 o'dark this morning - I should have taken a knife so I could cut through the heavy air. So, of course, I thought it was a perfect day for fartleks. I did OK on the faster segments, but it was when I backed off that I was wheezing and felt wasted. The last half mile was my best stretch at a 10:49 pace. 5.5 RW miles in total. There, that's done.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay.......

....just a GeneralTip for the group//...........FiberOne now makes COOKIES,,

,,,,,,,,however,

do Not buy two boxes and then eat them before Choir Practice.......

I'm just sayin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOof_L8mPpc&list=RDxOof_L8mPpc#t=9

================

...double wgt sessions today

and PT exercises

...........good running guys...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

A walk by posting. I'm still dealing with a painful Achilles Have started PT (once again), saw an orthopedist who ordered an MRI and put me on Lidocaine patches for pain. Able to walk again and have cycled and swam. But I miss running!

King of PhotoShop

EK not running in Dallas!  It's been mild this week!

Got 5.5 in this morning with the Saint, so I need 5 more in two days for my 35.  I'm out of the office tomorrow so today is the end of the month for me.  Billing day!   Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice muggy fartleks, Jay!

DD's first tennis match was rained out last week, but I was able to see her play (and win) last night.  She is new to tennis, but is having a great time.

DS did an overnight field trip with his AP Biology class last night to the OSU Stone Lab on Gibralter Island, Lake Erie.  I sure wish I could have gone along as a parent chaperone on this one, because it looked like a really nifty field trip, but alas, too much work to do.

5.1 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Seems the humidity is everywhere these days Jay.

Nice one tw. At least it wasn't Rick Astley.

Good luck with that achilles. I found mine was caused by a tight soleus in my calf.

Nice to send bills instead of receiving them Ribs.

Always fun to watch the kids compete. Enjoy DD's tennis Holly.

Got a gentle 6.7 at lunch. Properly recovering from my workout yesterday. I'm going to try and do things properly during the cycle towards winter. Let's see how that works.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

Ribs! Even the newscasters were talking about getting "relief" from the heat soon (like... today?). I don't know how you guys run in that heat.

Holly, sounds like your kids are doing cool stuff this year. Good for your DD in trying tennis. She doesn't seem to shy away from any challenge; a trait that will serve her well and keep her parents up at night later on...

Fartleks are not what I would do in muggy heat. I'm more like C-R, just go run.

Abby went back to the vet yesterday to re-adjust her feeding tube, which had slipped down a bit. Now she's on an appetite stimulant that apparently has the side effect of sleepiness. So besides the fact that she shouldn't drive while on this drug (No, Toonces!) I'm not sure how she's supposed to eat while sleeping....

Tonight is the Musk Ox Run. A hilly trail race that starts at the musk ox farm (aka, Large Animal Research Station) and goes on some of the Equinox Ultra course trails to the high point a few miles from campus. It's a good workout before the Equinox, and since I'm a bit behind in my training for that race (on Sept. 20), this will be a supported training run for me. I don't do the trail race series (although every year I say I might), and this is one of that series' races so there will be lots of the more hard core trail runners here. Carolyn would fit right in with this bunch. But for me, it'll be a chance to get out on the trails with a few other like-minded folks and have someone provide drinks at a couple spots along the way. All good fun, right? Hope my quads are up to it. It's billed as an 11 mile race, but I usually measure it at 10.7 or so. Close enuf.

Good Luck Erika!

Ran 14.5 miles this morning at a mellow pace on this glorious (waning) summer day. I'll run again this evening with teammates for something like 22 on the day.. Mini taper tomorrow and Saturday and then a team race on Sunday in VT with a stop at Ben and Jerry's on the way home. Hurray!

So sorry Henry and hope you can get back to the running you are missing before too long.

Mariposai

Posie bugs to Henry! I am so sorry to read that you still have having issue with your Achiles. Hey, would you do a favor an hug that lovely bride of ours for me?

Good luck Erika on your race today. That sounds like fun.

Karin, have fun tapering and good luck with the team race this weekend.

Last day of work for me today before a 5 day weekend. My DH and I are going to go to the South East corner of our state and explore there a bit. We have not visited that part of the state and we thought it would be a fun thing to do. My legs were tired today, so I took a day of rest. I hope to do a long run tomorrow. Ohh, tonight is kayaking with my girl friend at Omak Lake.

Only a few more weeks before the relay. I can't wait.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTY

Our Union is negotiating our Contract with the State - I think I'm going to talk to them about Posie's 5-day Weekends.   In negotiating, you should start high.

4.2 miles today with the three in the middle in 24:17, feeling good.

henrun, wishing you quick resolution for your Achilles problem.  Holly, good job for your daughter in her tennis match.  Also, your son's field trip sounds fun and educational.

nice long runs for Mike (including speedwork) and CNY.  Good job on the speedwork for mari and C-R.

This morning, it was in the high 40s and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:59 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

henrun I hope you feel better soon.  Same wishes out to evanflein for Abby.

Mike E given how fast you run you should have all sorts of time to goof off with things like posting on RA!

SteveP did you check with Avenger Doggie on that east Brussels sprouts edict?

BTY good luck with the negotiations!  What is plan B?

BlazinCajun my deepest sympathies on your DD passing her driving test!  On the other hand, my guess is that you should nevertheless encourage her to do all the driving as opposed to allowing any teenage boy to do so!  I am still amazed I survived high school driving.  

coastwalker fartlecks are so last apocalypse!  My morning was filled with zombielecks!  Alas, not all successful.

Last stewing greens discussion here it goes:  collard greens!  If you go anywhere in the southeast you see them on every menu!  Why they are not on menus all over the planet I have no idea.  But they can be so good!  They are also the simplest of the stewing greens to deal with, if only because the range of preparation options seems somewhat limited.  If you were to hold a contest in which you tried to eat kale, Swiss chard and collard greens all raw, the collard greens would win.  Not in a good way.  In think you would likely grind your teeth to a pulp before you managed to swallow a single leaf.  What to do?  Of the major stewing greens this one means it!  Stew it!  There you go, the whole trick to making collard greens.  Take the collard greens off the stems.  Toss the stems out.  Chop the leaves up into bite sized pieces.  Dump them in a pot, add water and simmer for two hours.  Done!  Well, that would produce pretty tasteless collard greens, but you could at least get them down!  The trick is to add tasty items to the water!  The standard is to toss in a couple of smoked ham hocks, a tablespoon or two of white vinegar and a bit of salt.  Drain the pot.  Remove what little meat may be on the ham hocks.  Put the greens and meat into a bowl and serve with Louisiana hot sauce.  Now that is one good side dish!  Did I hear you cannot find ham hocks in the area?  Substitute thick sliced bacon.  Works just fine.  You do not eat pork.  For collard greens you should probably strike that restriction.  Something about it being Kosher with stewing greens I hear.  No?  All right, all right.  Stew the greens (sans stems and chopped up as above) in water and vinegar for an hour, or until tender.  Towards the end of that process saute onions, preferably sweet ones like Vidalias or Wala Walas but good old yellow ones will work too.  Add some red pepper flakes after the onions soften up.  (This will mellow the flavor of the pepper and spread the heat more evenly through the dish.)  Then add couple of cloves of garlic and saute another minute or so.  Drain the collard greens.  Toss in with the onions, pepper and garlic until most of the water evaporates from the bottom of the pan.  Remove and serve with Louisiana hot sauce.  What can I say I just love Louisiana hot sauce with collard greens even after I have sauteed the greens with red pepper flakes!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 9 miles, tonight, including the middle 3 in 20:07.  Total time was 1:07:00. Tomorrow is a rest day...then the weekend...and lotsa running...

Okay--I'm done--see ya!

Oh--hi Twocat...looks like somebody got caught.

evanflein

10.7 mile Musk Ox Trail Run done.... ufda. Fell three times. The second fall was actually pretty spectacular, I think Enke would've been proud. Bloody knees and everything. Oy. I don't know if these trail shoes are the right kind for our trails. It seems that the comfy roomy toebox means they're too long in the toes or something. I've never fallen so much on this (or any) run! Felt like something just grabbed my toes and pulled me down. Bleh. Oh well, still made pretty good time, just 1:25 slower than last year (my PR year) and 4th woman overall. I didn't stick around for long (there was a potluck bbq afterwards) because DH was doing a nice ribeye roast on the grill. Now I've had a shower, band-aids on my owies and enjoying a glass of wine while waiting for someone to serve me dinner..... (no collard greens tonight).

Tough set of tumbles there Erika! Cuts and bruises everywhere. Heal up before Equinox!

Mine went pretty much ok. I planned to just cruise but that lasted only a mile or two when I found myself comfortably in 2nd. Hammered the last 2 to finish in 1:15:40 a course pr by 22 sec. 2nd OA.