Masters Running

Tuesday, Feb. 10, Runs, songs and stories (Read 566 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! With the temp around 48° I was a tad overdressed with my thermal pants, long sleeve UA shirt, wind jacket, earband and gloves. Roll eyes The wind was gusting out of the south, so when it would blow the cold off the snow banks it was a welcome relief. Brinkley and I managed 5 miles at a 10 m/m pace which was a pretty hard effort for me - but it felt pretty good. Hallar - I think you should take a day off! Wink Happy Twosday! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary and everyone else. Nice run! It was a little cooler here -- about 36°F so still nice but not nice enough for shorts. I saw a few deer in my neighborhood -- one watched me until I got to 15-20 yards away, then took off. 5.1 miles, 46:12, 9:03/mi, AHR 139 (70% mhr) Good runs, all!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning....Goofy guy here, Smile Nice run Dear Mary with Mr Brinkster, but that prolly was a bit too much to wear at 48 degrees, but like you said...it was a welcome relief at times. Morning to you too Lou, and nice 5 miler. I am always sooo very surprised how many deer I see while running through neighbor hoods close to me. I actually had a rest day planned last night because I had already ran two days in a row, and thought I should rest one day. Buuut, it was 57 degrees last night after work and I couldn't resist a run. Thought maybe a 3 mile recovery run would be in order to take it easy. When I took off I noticed my legs extra felt peppy again and felt super light. So I just went out and kept going till I finally made it back home. 7.3 miles - 1:04:25 - 8:50 ave pace - 128 ave HR. Greta to be able to post runs again Smile I love night time running as I get to see the sun set, where most like morning running where you see the sun rise....hey, doesn't matter as long as we get it done, right. Last night after about 3 miles - number 1 I took my shirt off Smile, and I noticed I was in a groove and I had great form...un like the goofy - uncoordinated feeling I have had since my return to running. I was running tall and strong and tried to work on maintaining a easy comfortable pace. I thought since I am coming back from injury, that I think I will use 8:45 to 9:00 pace for most of my miles to build back my base miles. I am really surprised how well I am running and really am running at a decent pace with a low HR, considering taking almost 3 months off. I guess if a person had a good base built up and had done good speed work, you really DON'T lose all your fitness after an extended lay off. Last night was one of the most enjoyable runs of my life. It finally really sunk in that I AM BACK and last night proved it more than any run so far, as I felt weightless - like running on air. Can ya tell I am excited Big grin Cool Hope everyone has a great day and good runs and such, And to the injuried....please be patient...believe me, if I can recover from an injury / injuries, you most certainly can too. Happy TimBo....and goofy too, huh Mary

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Cross training day had me trying to keep from drowning while I swam laps this morning. I can see that the old swimming stroke is going to mtake some time to find again. (Blub, blub. Someone throw me a ring ...) I feel pretty good right now, but I imagine in about two days my shoulders and arms are going to protest. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

My run: 6 more early miles in the bank. (No Tramps I didn't actually run in a bank) My song: Theme from Rocky-Getting strong now- Trip to the gym for deadlifts after running. I have been doing lots of crosstraining in addition to running and I can feel and see it paying off. My story: Getting ready for a presentation in one of my grad classes tonight. The presentation is a general overview of mental imagery. I have a couple of exercises to get some attention then on with the show. Now that I have followed Mary's format to the letter I can get some work done. Tim-welcome all the way back. Mary-in those temps Tim would have run shirtless, not that I'm suggesting... Lou-36º not good for shorts, is it a good temp for beer? Bill-tossing a ring your way, stay close to the sides until that form comes back.
              Good Morning Everyone Mary - thanks for starting us off. Lou - it's always nice to see wildlife on runs I spooked three turkeys once, scared the heck out of me when the flew off yes! Turkeys can fly...they make a racket when they do too!!! Tim! I'm glad you are back! I know the feeling of recovering from an injury and there is nothing better than having a good run! Well...there might be one or two things that are better. Bill- rest/cross train days are as important as your hard days...maybe more so. enjoy the rest and take it easy! Today is a 2X day for me ....light weights and 3 miles in the morning and abs and 6miles in the afternoon. Why am I doing 2 work outs a day? Well that ranks up there with one of the often pondered upon yet rarely answered questions, like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? or better yet how many pieces of bellie button lint does it take to make a throw pillow. The correct answer is who cares that center tastes so good and that pillow is so comfortable that the numbers are meaningless. Have fun, keep smiling and Like Reagan left in his note to G.H. Bush..."Don't let the Turkeys get you down" Karl

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I'm back running...again! Two setback weeks almost back to back gets real depressing. To celebrate I ran a double....6.03 miles of hills @ 8:50 last night and 10.18 miles of hills @ 9:12 this morning for a total of 16.21 miles. I'm still not 100% but I should be back to normal by the end of the week if all goes well. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

This morning I slept in. I think I need to make a sleep in day a regular part of my weekly schedule ! Last night did an easy 5 at the Y. Tonight's plan is to do an easy 7. Enjoying the warm temps!

King of PhotoShop

Good for Tim and Peter, back at it again! I'm ready to go out for a few miles. Want to know what I'm wearing? A white sport coat, and a pink carnation. I'm all dressed up for the dance. A white sport coat and a pink carnation. I'm in the mood for romance. Spareribs
                    Tramps

Lou—30F is shorts weather. Tim—glad you’re feeling better Cranieum—thanks for the clarification; I’d be surprised if the banks were open so early. Peter—good to see that the flu’s behind you. Balmy 45F this morning. I managed to nail a PBJ Special® in 56:44 in the middle of an 11.4 mile run. I attribute it to last week’s cutback…or the new set of tunes I ripped onto the iPod. Speaking of songs, I thought of Ribs this morning as ZZ Top came on: Clean shirt, new shoes And I don’t know where I am going to. Silk suit, black tie, I don’t need a reason why. They come running just as fast as they can ‘Cause every girl’s crazy ‘bout a sharp-dressed man.

Be safe. Be kind.

Well, no runs but how about a story? Believe me, you don't want me to sing. Well, I've given up running for awhile. I withdrew from my 5/24 marathon and 3/15 half. Sad at first but have a feeling of relief now. I spent the last two mornings at the gym hammering on the weights and doing light cycling and really enjoyed it. I lost a fair amount of muscle over the past year with my focus on running. I was lifting twice a week and am now on a 4 day per week plan. If i can't run, I might as well try to add some muscle. I maybe calling the ortho this week if the MTSS doesn't improve so I can rule out a stress fracture. It just concerns me that there is zero improvement over the last 10 days. I'll get back to running at some point but don't have any target races on the calendar until I can get back up to a base of 40 mpw. Cheers

Marathon Maniac #957

Last night was one of the most enjoyable runs of my life. It finally really sunk in that I AM BACK and last night proved it more than any run so far, as I felt weightless - like running on air.
                          I’m so happy for you! Anyone who’s been on the DL for a while knows just how wonderful that feeling is. Mary - 48° to me means long sleeved shirt and shorts, so I imagine I’d have been roasting with all that – and that from someone who gets cold easily. It takes a while though, to remember how we like to dress when the seasons begin to change. EGH3 - that's tough news...Have you tried to defer your race entries to next year? I was unable to run the Columbus Marathon last fall, but was able to defer my registration to the coming fall. First run of the year in bare legs, in a windy 50°. 8 miles for me today, including 8 x ½ mile intervals with 1 minute recovery. Intervals were aimed at an 8:20 pace, although the wind played havoc with my pacing. 4:10 4:16 4:10 4:07 4:09 4:07 4:10 4:02 These are not easy for me, and I’m always amazed when I manage to finish 8 of them. DH is a little better today. He's hoping to be good enough by the end of the week to go to DS's honor roll breakfast Friday morning and DD's Valentines class party Friday afternoon. This would be the first that he has been able to attend such events for the kids.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning all ! Mary - I'm dripping sweat just thinking about your run. Tim - nice run - glad you enjoyed it! (((((((EGH)))))))) - good attitude in the face of adversity. Way to go! dg - sorry to hear you are injured, but nice that you can still run a bit. Yep, I don't do any stretching after runs, and I'm terrible about doing any cooldowns as well. I'm usually pressed for time and want to squeeze the last drop of time into the run. I do yoga intermittently which probably helps with flexibility. I know it helped when I had Achilles issues. 6.7 mile tempo run on the TM this AM. First time I've opened up in over a month, and it felt pretty good. Average heart rate was in the mid 150's which pleases me. Godo runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

EGH3 - that's tough news...Have you tried to defer your race entries to next year? I was unable to run the Columbus Marathon last fall, but was able to defer my registration to the coming fall.
                              Actually, yes. I deferred Vermont until 2010. Basically, if i run it next year, I pay half price. They also refunded the pre-race dinner tickets which was $80. My 3/15 HM is a loss but only cost me about $33. I may entertain a marathon in the Fall but only if I'm able to manage a consistent base mileage through the summer. I think I can do that if I don't stress over a target race. when I can get back on the road/trails I'm just going to take it easy and let running be fun again.

Mariposai

is someone running in shorts around here Evil grinEvil grin great speed workout Holly. Those numbers look terrific. Francesca, thanks for the recipe...will try it out this weekend. Is the taper boy awake after his trip back from Japan. Carolyn, you REALLY live in up in the hill....wow...you must have a majestic view. Hi tselb...butterfly hugs to you............just because.,,,,,,, 6 slow miles, there was no need to hurry up and la luna so willingly keeping me company.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard