Masters Running

Thursday's Daily from right here - 2.27.14 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Is Rassmussenmp out having a late lunch?

I hope you had a most HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TC! Good luck on your 18er today.

Have fun with the Speedsters, Aamos! Doing a half on Sunday? It's time to start backing off and just take it easy till then. "Baby-dads" and baby-moms" sounds too soft-pedaly to me - "deadbeat dads" sounds, unfortunately, much more accurate.

Interesting take on the weight loss plan, Tramps...

Wildchild, 7200 ft elevation doesn't come with an "only" around here.

So Ribs is the Starbucks hero of the week - sweet!

I'm glad the drugs and some extra sleep worked and that your eye didn't pop out. Leslie. And congrats on the found file!

Robin, you mean that donuts and margaritas aren't 'reality?' I'm glad your glute m. only complained a little at ART.

Nice first training run of the year, Tet. Do you have another one planned?

TW, that was very different dancing nanner!

Tselbes, good of you to live up to your grandparent's obligations. Yes, he is a cute one...

Sleep as a defense mechanism sound pretty good to me, Dave.

I'm glad you're taking a cautious approach with your heel, Holly, and that your new trainer seems to be doing its job.

Dead-on pacing, BTY! Good luck with today's TMT.

Nice run, Enke, but I have a feeling that isn't the report folks were looking for.

Good 8er, Marj. How nice to be able to hop the T for a ride back home.

Evanflein, I'm guessing that a lot of us are waiting for pavement clear of ice and snow. Someday...

We had a Trash 80 too, Divechief. Early on, DW spent a whole day writing a spreadsheet program, then hit the wrong key and it was all gone. I was sure that computer was going out the window, but it didn't, and we still have it.

6.7 RW miles at 4 o'dark this morning. 8F under gauzy skies. I did mile-fartleks, had some decent splits, and am nicely fatigued now and for maybe another hour or two till it fades away.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Jay, great recap.  I won't even try and beat that.  Good morning to all that follow, even though its evening here and the sun is setting.

TwoCat - Happy belated birthday 

Tet - I will be in Japan the last week in March.  Then  Sue and I will be moving to Yokosuka, Japan in July for 3-5 years.  SO it does look like I will be getting some Japanese marathons done in the near future.  I did see the finish of the Tokyo Marathon on TV just the other day.  Though I don't think it was a live broadcast.

My first computer was the Apple 2C with the small green CRT monitor, two 5.25 floppy drives.  Then I moved to IBM's.  Looking back maybe I should have stayed with Apple or at least bought their stock.

This morning's run was 11.0 miles at an easy pace, followed by work (of course) and then this afternoon was a quick 5 miles to stretch out the legs and work on the their turnover rate.  Weather here was in the low 60's this morning, warming to the mid 70's this afternoon, clear with a nice breeze.  No snow and ice to contend with here, just sand in places.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and Ras and all to follow.

1 mile on the TM for me this morning before I gave up and hopped on the bike to nowhere and peddled for 50 minutes or so.

I thought my heel was almost better, hardly hurts at all.  Until I try to run.  Drat!  I bit the bullet and made an appointment with the sports med guy tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, thanks for clarifying that it is mostly the women who are the deadbeat parents.

I've known bhearn on various forums for many years and he is indeed a very smart man.  Glad to see him posting here now and again, as well as Rasmussen, and Brian (BTY). Re Brian's posts, his locale about Albany, NY and his runs there are fun for me to read as that is where I went to school.

My 3.4 slow miles gives me 40 for the week with tomorrow to go. I'm taking Saturday off as I have to work.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning and G'day!

Ras, how exciting, Japan!  I would love to live in another country for a while.  Hope you'll post photos; my elementary school chum is there now and sending back fabulous photos.  She's on sabbatical (Asian Studies at UVA).

Jay, masterful job again, you are such a mensch.  Will you be at Boston volunteering or spectating this year?

And i agree, I hate the terms "baby daddy"and "baby momma" but they are all the rage with the younger generation.

Speaking of, with the no bag rule, so you think Race Ready shorts will experience a run on sales?  I'm surely happy I have a few pairs as those pockets are going to come in handy.

Dave, so impressed you remember that about BHearn.

Hoping for a solution for you, Holly!

6.2 slow ones for me this morning.  Ran with my nurse friend, who had to sprint home to be at work at dawn, a runner friend who prints a lot of the shirts for our local races, and my 12 year old running partner.   She wants to run the half on Sunday with me, she really assures me.  I'm so lucky!    Hope I get some decent pictures of us.

Went out and ran the bridge last night after work for 5 miles.  Nice view of the sunset and river, so it makes up for the up and down monotony.  And it's not in mud or snowpack, counting my blessings, Erika.

Say, who is Olga?  My roomie in Reston, Leslie,  says one of her students told her that I "must be a fitness nut"  and that I "must know Olga."  Then she said she has a book at the library on hold for her concerning this Olga.  Since I'm not a fitness person at all (struggle to do the basic exercises I know I should do ), hoping someone here can enlighten me so I can continue the conversation with my roomie.

Love Thursdays, don't you?

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Aamos, thanks for clarifying that it is mostly the women who are the deadbeat parents.

They're equal opportunity; no where did I say it is mostly them.  Are you playin' me to see if I'm losin' it?

Cuz I ain't.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Are you playin' me to see if I'm losin' it?

Cuz I ain't.

don’t worry about losing it.

Though it might be happening to several herein, not just with regard to ou,. . . I mean their chasin’ and trying to keep up to the goddesses,  you’re not even close,  especially in still building on your pre-Teaching-in-America sojourn record of 86 AG wins already up to nearly 90 in just three of your first five comeback marathons.  Though the MM’s have increased from 2,868 to nearly 10,000 in your intervening three years, I think your 90 AG wins, going on 100 if not 200, it is still an MM record, and will be for a long time.

ps - though you weren't running marathons, did your Teaching sabbatical allow any time to imbue students with your love of running?

jay - no more training runs.  gotta taper for this weekend's Spring-Fun-Run Marathon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

5 on the basement treadmill (again).  Wunderground.com says it is going to be -16° tonight.  I was out for breakfast this morning and it felt and looked like I was on an expedition to the South Pole.  Very fine snow was blowing and swirling around the extra tall snow drifts on the side of the road.  (At least until the trashcans started flying by which kind of ruined the mood.)

Nice long run, Ras.  I got in 4 TM miles this morning at a 10:58 pace.  I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's weather as reported by Dave.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Aamos - Your roomie must be talking about Olga King.  She's the only "Olga" I'm aware of. I have to admit, I'm pathetic when it comes to knowing who the "stars" of trail running are. I know a few names and faces, but for the most part when a "star" is pointed out, I'm like, "Oh.  Really?"

Holly - I hope you get some answers.

Cutback week for me and I'm taking full advantage by sleeping in and running/working out after work.  Last evening - 5 miles of pavement (ick), tonight will be some strength training.

Yesterday, The Hub made a really good blackberry cobbler, but it's pretty juicy.  I spent the evening (he was gone) doing my best to rectify that small problem and overindulged.    Was a little green when I went to bed last night, but doggone it, it was worth it!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry about the midwest weather - I guess I shouldn't mention that I took my shirt off when I ran at lunchtime?  Of course, this was on the trails near work, down in town. It's not that warm at my house.

Enke, how was the run with door #12?

Holly, good luck with your heel.  My foot felt pretty good running today, and I really hope it's okay.   It sure is hard NOT to run!

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thank you everybody for the birthday wishes.  My DW and celebrated by going to my favorite restaurant in probably all of CT and most of NY too!  Dinner there was fabulous as always.  Today it was 18 in cold windy conditions.  Some of it was good, for winter running at least, but most was a slog.  There was a section at the beach where the wind was kicking up so much sand I was running with my eyes closed more than open.  I can hardly wait for summer!  P.S. breger1 as to everyone complaining later on when the summer heat hits you must have missed my posts over the last say 6 years! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly, hope it is a good appointment.

Aamos, I can't quite figure out where you are now.  Somewhere warm?   And yes, there are lots of deadbeat moms out there these days too.

Run last night was....a run.  Door#12 had to walk a bit, on a 3 mile run, which is fine.  I hope to encourage him to get back in shape.  I stayed and did another loop.  We are just friends.  He has way too much Samsonite (found out more last night).  Oy.  When the dust settles, maybe I will be more interested.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

NHLA

6.26 miles 58 min  champion hlls

New skirt in town

Has anyone played around with the Match Machine app on Facebook?  Let's just say it gave me a verrrry surprising result.

8.5 miles today, with 5 at tempo pace.  I am TUCKERED, but nothing hurts.  More snow tomorrow.  Big snow on Monday. WHEN WILL WE SEE CLEAR PAVEMENT AGAIN???

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA