Masters Running

Tuesday - 7/22 (Read 38 times)

Dave59

I'll start this thing up again today as long as no one minds the short version of things.

After last week's travel, I was back joining in with the Tuesday morning hill gang.  The workout was going good until the return part of it when I stepped on the edge of the paved trail where it was cracked and turned my right ankle.

It hurt but I made it back the 2-miles to my car.  Now at home I took a couple ibuprofen, put my foot up on my desk and have some ice on it.  I am being a real wimp about it because there doesn't appear to be any swelling but I am acting like it is the end of the world. Too bad I am home alone and can't get any sympathy.

6.75 miles total.  Good group this morning.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone else!

Jump in and start it off anytime, Dave! I'm sorry about the turned ankle. It's a good idea to take care of it, just in case. That's about all the sympathy you'll get from me...

Welcome back, Slo!

Thanks for the Fairbanks RC update, Evanflein. I'm glad you're enjoying the chase this year, even if there may not be a jacket in it for you - but don't give up yet! What do you think happened with the moose/runner encounter yesterday? I agree that it was more 'fun' to let the runner make the discovery on their own.

Congrats on the AG win, Wildchild, and the good bread you scored in the raffle - nice!

DW won't watch movies with much violence; they're not her idea of entertaining, and (similar to Holly) they give her nightmares.

C-R, have fun in FL - do like Amy says and get out for your runs early, and be careful ( and patient) when driving around Orland.

I dunno about "Channel Cam" Tet. But I'm glad they have fun with the background music.

Hi Mike!

Funny story about DS2's puppy, Jlynne. Howcum they don't come pre-potty trained??

Thanks for your perspective on the Fairbanks series too, Trackrat. I'm sorry your weather isn't better.

Twocat, I hate it when writers do stoopid things just to create a new plot line too.

Steve, it must have been interesting to see Tag work on his backward jumping skills. I'm glad you and Tag got a bonus workout with DW.

I woke at exactly 4 this am, and was out the door 10 minutes later. I didn't know what I wanted to do for a workout, but I was feeling kind of slug-like. So, of course, fartleks came to mind. I went 5.8 miles, alternating easy/hard. Each 'hard' mile was faster than the previous one, so I was doing well by the time I got back to our driveway. It was 58F and just minorly muggy, so nice workout weather. We're going to have a killer conservation commission meeting tonight, with 4 permit applications to act on, and 2 of them are likely to take a while. So it goes.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Sympathies for  our ankle, Dave.

Sympathies to  you too Jay; that sounds like a long night ahead.

A blanket  of humidity turned my planned 3-mile tempo into a 2 x 1.5 run.  5 miles total.

Be safe. Be kind.

Strange I didn't get to post yesterday - oh wait, no it isn't - I had my beautiful Maria all day ..... love having her for the day!!

I managed 8.2 miles yesterday am before church and picking up my little darling!!  Need to get a training program in place for Philly, but right now just enjoying the runs and trying to get in some hills and some speed work.

Strong work chasing those youngesters Erika!!  I'm pulling for you earning one of those jackets!!   Hope that calf stops acting up on you!

My 12  hour shifts are long and can be exhausting clumping them together so much, but the benefit of the stretches off without having to use vacation time is so worth it.  After my shift tomorrow I'll be off for 5 days and can enjoy some time in Maine before coming back and doing another 3 in a row!

denise

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all...just barely.

Dave: Sorry about the ankle...been there done that.

Jay, Denise, Tramps:  Good runs today.

Unlike Jay, I slept almost thru alarm this morning and ended up being all types of disorganized delays.  I somehow managed to get out the door around 4:45 AM with temps around 66F with only the usual morning humidity.  Plan was a 5 mile tempo run, but had some energy issues getting started at first.  But I managed somehow to persevere and push it.  I also managed to run a very fast last mile well into the 7's - not sure where that came from or why.  Anway, overall time was 43 mins and change for a 5.4 mile run.  So I just squeaked by with a sub 8 pace overall [barely] which was the plan...  And only mile one was greater than 8 min pace but considering that my warm-up mile anyway.

No one but a handful of cars on the road today so thinking I am not the only one to sleep in either.  Supposed to be hot and humid rest of week here in PA - so predawn running is the plan again.

Enjoy the day all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Erika, speaking of the series, did you ever get an award for CRR or Midnight Sun Run? I don't care so much about the former, just a ribbon in the mail but geez I got 7th OA and won the age group at Midnight Sun Run. I actually looked forward to the ceramic plaques--the only awards that I have up on the wall--but then they stopped that a couple years back and we had a patch and a hat. Now nada?

Wasn't it supposed to be nicer out? 50s and rainy again.

Enough of that, will run about an hour today at lunch.

mari, I hope the fires continue to stay away from you.  evan, nice race in coolish weather with 1st in AG. Sorry to hear about the calf.   fatozzig, great milestone for your husband (and you, too).  Dave, I hope the new job responsibilities work out well.  Also, I hope the ankle is ok.

Nice long runs for Mike and Starr.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:10 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words re Shorty and me.  Sometimes I still am amazed at how our life has turned out.  What a blessing!  And any inspiration we can be to others, is a double blessing.

I'm not big on action flicks, especially ones with a lot of gratuitous violence (sorry, Rigs), or even ones with a lot of gratuitous sex (sorry, men).  A friend of mine LOVES movies like "Saw."  I watched the first "Saw" and that was enough - more than enough - for me.  Yuck.

Posie - I saw on the news this a.m. that the fires have consumed over 300,000 acres and over 200 homes.  Man, oh man.  Praying for your area.

I got in 5 miles in a very foggy predawn, but smack in the middle, about a mile from the grocery store, the need to use the bathroom hit me rather abruptly.  Ack!  It was slow going 'til I got there, but thankfully no mishaps!   I know you all love it when I share these little tidbits.  Ran in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  Very odd when I get to do that predawn.

Back to work ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Roger, I loved those plaques, too. Last year's hat was met with "really?" as they're not very nice... unlike those GDR hats a lot of runners still wear (I wore my blue hat from 2010 on Sunday). Nothing yet from MSR, either, but I think they're usually pretty late with those.

And ditto on the weather comment. Everyone here is pretty tired of me whining about the weather, but honestly, enough is enough. This is Fairbanks for pete's sake. Where's our summer??

Leslie, my SIL saw "Saw" and her comments were enough for me to steer clear of that one. I don't know what sort of person really likes those movies, but it makes me question their stability....

Nice running guys (and Deez). Sorry about the ankle Dave, but it sounds like it'll be fine. Rub some dirt on it and walk it off, right? Wink

Ribs' comments in the other daily are great. Moose in Dallas... heh.

Legs are feeling better today but now my shins are a little sore. I'll get out later for a few easy miles. Tired of all the "rest days" on my calendar. Last week's 33 miles was the third time this year under 40 mpw. Don't want that to become a trend.

wildchild

Carolyn

10 mile trail run this morning.  That giant bar on my training log for the 50 mile race finally went away, so a 10 mile run doesn't look so puny anymore! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

We still don't have Internet access here, so I am typing this on my cell, which means I will not do any shout out.

Fire is still burning,  but it is 16% contained. Over 240,000 acres burned.  No casualty so far, which is good.

7 miles of running for me with 5x800m at a faster pace.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

You saying I'm making stuff up?   There were so many moose in the park today I couldn't even see some of the other runners.  I had no idea moose are so tall.  Spareribs

I'll start this thing up again today as long as no one minds the short version of things.

...did

somebody say SHORT VERSION??????

========

...34mprnb,,deo

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...hope ya feel better dave/////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

I didn't know what I wanted to do for a workout, but I was feeling kind of slug-like. So, of course, fartleks came to mind.

Dave - I have turned my ankle so painfully that I was sure it must be broken, and yet the next day it was fine, so you have my sympathies.

Ribs - 

I intended to do intervals or fartleks this morning, but just felt tired, so I slogged up and down hills instead.

5.1 miles for me in 76 and 97% at 5:30am.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."