Masters Running

Thursday 12/31/15 The Last Day of 2015 (Read 36 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Yup, it is really here.  The Last Day of 2015.  There were some struggles this year, but also some wonderful memories.

Intervals on the TM for me this morning, one and two minutes fast with one minute slow in between. With WU and CD it was 5.2 miles total.

Supposedly the boss may let us off early today - keeping my fingers crossed.

So, if I can get out this afternoon for a 271.3 mile run, I will meet my 2015 mileage goal.

Happy New Years Eve!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

.........Also runner time, agree or not?

Foggy but fun over the bridge this am.  Lots of traffic, surprisingly.  We park a mile out and run to the bridge, then 2 RTs and back for a brisk 6 miler.  Run included the doc who is running her first marathon next weekend.  We met at 6, and it's a bit of drive for me, so there's good reason I am not planning on making it to midnight (or, not without a nap!)

Plus, there's the first run of 2016 to get up and enjoy!

Holly, take a page from Erika's book there and just say no to that run.  (Plus that is pretty darn good, given that you had more than one spell of no running due your dentist!)

Got my black eyed peas, about ready for tomorrow.  Some of the geezer runners are having a get together tonight.  We're starting at 7 and I'm sure the party will end after a few hours.  Just a little social, 'gee you look nice in regular clothes!'  have an appetizer soiree.

Anyone else at work besides Holly and me?

Pshew, another year!  Best of everything to everyone here,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Happy New Year's Eve to all! I need to go shopping tonight for New Year's day dinner tomorrow. I forgot that collard greens and black eyed peas are traditional parts of the meal. I need to go out and get some. Both are really good any day of the year!

In the hope of garnering some good bird karma (and likely some squirrel karma as well) I filled up the bird feeders in the back yard. May the bird be with you! Hmm, somehow that does not sound right . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

My heading yesterday was supposed to read "Last Wednesday" instead of "Last Day." I'm glad nobody took me seriously!

Good luck with that afternoon run, Holly. Yes, it was an up-and-down year, but I hope you and everyone else had more ups than downs.

Good bridge work with the doc, Aamos. Have a great time (in regular clothes) with the geezer runners tonight.

Nope, not in the office today. We have a houseful today, so I took the day off. DW is heading into the office, but will (hopefully) only be there a couple of hours. I'm trying to get everyone to the beach tonight to watch the local fireworks, but I have a feeling these folks will rather stay home, in front of the fireplace. We'll see...

Here is a close-up of the cork wall for Evanflein. I cut the corks in half, using a jig on the band saw. Then we glued the corks to the wall with repositionable wallpaper glue. It doesn't dry immediately, so you've got a few minutes to adjust a cork if you don't like its position. Not all corks are the same length, so sometimes we had to use a half cork to roughly maintain the staggered look.

I went out for a workout this morning, but turned around after half a mile. There was too much invisible slick stuff still on the roads, and I couldn't get any decent traction at all. So, unless I can sneak out later today, I guess I'm done for the year. Like Holly, I didn't reach my goal, but I had fun trying. 4 of us are doing the Hangover Classic in Salisbury, MA tomorrow morning - 2 walking, 1 running, and 1 racewalking.

Have a greta Thursday and a Happy New Year's Eve!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BlazinCajun

Good morning Holly, Aamos, Twocat, and Coastwalker - Happy New Year to all the rest of you folks. Thought I would pop in here before the end of the year to check in. I'm one of those at work and we get the last three hours off and will use the extra time to go see the movie Star Wars VII with my girls.

Jay - the cork wall is beautiful - nice job!

Met my mileage goal for the year and feel badass about it. First time over 2,000 miles and yes no injuries. Ran over 300 miles with my daughters and ran a Boston qualifier for 2017. Got my weight under 145 lbs will probably hover around that. Ran only five races this year and will probably run about that many next year as well.

Today, got out there in the rain and ran a 7 mile logging trail/powerline run to close up the year.

Another goal of mine for next year is to try to post more often.

Have a great day and Happy New Year,

Andrew

Andrew
            ------------------
            God, my Lord, is my strength;
            he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
            and enables me to go upon the heights.
            Hb 3:19

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for the closeup on those corks Jay, very impressive.

Got in 8.6 this morning at 10:07 pace, a clear, brisk day.  That gives me 1,415 for the year, not great, not bad, but okay.  No goal for next year, just going to enjoy the fact that I can still run and move about.

Hope you all enjoy a fun, safe evening.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

.........Also runner time, agree or not?

Completely agree.

It's not the first time but a short nap at 8pm lasted until 1:15am so will celebrate by going back to sleep again and getting up for New Year's breakfast followed by donning my traditional short kimono samue happy coat and wooden geta sandals for about 10 miles or so of walking and bussing between as many famous Kyoto temples as possible, .    probably in the company of more than a hundred thousand real kimono-clad men and women welcoming the new year.  Afterwards, I'm looking forward to checking into one them for a first time experience to spend the night

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

moebo

Happy New Year's Eve to all from me, too! No school today so no work for me.

Thanks for that cork wall explanation Jay. Very cool to see up close. Any idea how many corks you used?

Congratulations to you, BlazinCajun, on meeting your mileage goal for the year. I didn't have a goal, which is good since I have absolutely no idea how many miles I ran this year--only started counting in July.

Aamos, I am almost always in bed before 10:00, but tonight I will stay up past midnight. I am getting together with a group of friends that gathers every New Year's Eve for lots of good food, wine and laughs--really looking forward to it.

4 miles for me today on the track--too foggy to head out on the roads!

Lack of sleep and cold temps sent me back to bed this a.m. instead of running.  However, rumor has it that we're closing at noon today.  At least that's what my boss said he heard, and us staff members said we wouldn't argue with that decision.   I figured we'd get off work early regardless, so I brought my running clothes and will get my miles in after work.

For some reason my 2015 and overall totals aren't working.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the changes that occurred in the system?  So I have no idea how many miles I accumulated this year, I know I didn't reach 1,000.  *sigh*  There's always next year.

I usually try and stay up 'til midnight.  Rarely does The Hub make it that far.

Wishing you all a Safe and Happy New Year ~~~

MTA - Well, I had my year-end review with my boss and I didn't get fired or yelled, so that's something! 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

This morning, it was about 30° and there was a light wind.  I did 3 miles at an 11:34 pace.

I'm usually in bed fairly early  It's been eons since I've been up to see the new year in and I have no desire to change that.  We're going out for dinner this afternoon with some friends and will probably just come back home.  Michigan State has a big football game that starts at 8 so I'll at least watch it start and, perhaps, stay up past my bedtime to see how it goes.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Happy New Year's Eve everyone! This is quite a group to spend a year with, I tell ya. Good to know all of you through this forum, and always a delight to meet (and run with) some of you in person!

Jay, that's a great wall! I love some of those wineries and producers, too. We were at Trefethen earlier this month, and love, love, love Masi. Cool that you cut them in half lengthwise, I wouldn't have thought of that (really). Thanks for posting the close-up.

Holly, you've done really well this year for your spells of non-running. I'd give that 271.3 miler a pass.   How's the mouth doing? Did I tell you I'm heading that way next year? Not a molar, but that broken crown can't be fixed because the root is cracked. So.... the choice was implant or bridge. Never thought I'd be faced with that choice. Wear your nightguards, people!

Today is a holiday for me, but I've been off work all week. Just went in for a bit on Monday, brought some work home with me (and it's still sitting in the bag by the door), and have been staying on top of e-mails. But that's it. I've needed a break! Monday will come soon enough and it's right back at it full speed ahead.

I'd love to have the energy and wherewithal to run 19.1 miles, because it's another freakishly warm day here (39° now here at the house), but it is a bit windy. The wind is warm though, so that's pretty nice. We get these "chinook" winds and weather patterns every now and then. The nice thing this year is no rain (so far) which just makes life miserable for the rest of the winter. Hoping it stays that way. So far, the forecasts show highs in the mid to upper teens all next week, so 2016 will get off to a good start!

Ok, off to go run a few miles. Thinking 5 or 6 sound about right.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

So, if I can get out this afternoon for a 271.3 mile run, I will meet my 2015 mileage goal.

Happy New Years Eve!

This cracked me up!

I haven't kept a running total (haha) of my mileage this year. Or almost any other year... I hope to do better in 2016. I joined that contest.

RUNNING WITH KING LEONIDAS:

Wednesday, 30 December: 5.25 miles of running, walking and sniffing

Thursday, 31 December: 5.10 miles of running, walking and sniffing. In the lovely, dreary, misty, rain and swamp

Extracurriculars:

1. Canasta tournament: LilsisterRCG and I were partners and lost to the smiling Granny and lilmissrosie. (Tuesday afternoon)

2. Hearts game with just my men. DS1 (BigJoe) was the victor. (Tuesday evening)

3. Cancelation Hearts game with lilmissrosie, MrLMR (my son-in-law), BigJoe, DS2 (Stretch), and the rocket scientist. (Wednesday evening). I am the Biggest Loser!  Stuck with Slippery Sal (Queen of Spades) x2 multiple times!  The r.s. was the big winner. Ended in the negative numbers!

4. My bowl picks have been extremely disappointing. We need to admit there have been a few upsets this bowl season.

AND SO!  Tonight we will play bridge. I am due.

I liked reading about other families playing games. Econo? What is Nerdz?

Happy Old Year's Day!

MTA: I did Shoot the Moon during Tuesday's hearts game. Smile

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

spacityrunner

MTA: I did Shoot the Moon during Tuesday's hearts game. Smile

And it wasn't even full.....

Trails Rock!

Hi all!  Welcome, Emma/Skeeter. Love the cork wall -- from a distance it has a Mid-Century-yet-also-warm look.  Love Rihanna's 'ella.

I'm doing couch time with a rotten head cold.  I promise to soak my toothbrush in Listerine!  Smile

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Somehow doesn't feel a lot like NYs. DW and I are still in LA, helping DD move into her new apt. I got delegated laundry duty while the ladies try to get DDs car registration into CA. Can't say I'm terribly crushed.

Did manage a few runs in the mornings. Two 3 milers sandwiched around a 5 by .25 interval session on the TM.

We MAY make it to the NYC ball drop, but the LA version is highly unlikely.

Happy New Year to all. Another year with mixed good and bad--just hope yours had and will have a lot more of the good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.