Masters Running

Tue Mar 18 Runs and Workouts (Read 622 times)

Good morning, everyone. 5 miles at recovery pace this morning. A few striders thrown in as well. I could have been on a plane instead, but my travel was delayed. That would have been tough. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:51/mi, AHR 136 Overall: 5.1 miles, 45:09 Have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Recovery day to prepare for a big training week. 6 miles in an hour. Average HR 119 BPM. Very windy! Nearly stopped me a couple of times. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice runs Bill and Lou! Out for 4 miles this morning with the Brinkster. It was slippery in spots as we were getting some freezing rain, but once we got to the main road things were okay. I had to wear a cap to keep the rain out of my eyes, so the headlamp didn't exactly illuminate all the mud holes, therefore I found a few with my feet - yuck! Brinkley is now curled up in a ball sound asleep - oh to have the lfe of a dog! Happy 2s-day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning WRFB and Bill and Mary...and everyone else Smile Nice early morning runs so far!!! Monday nights are suppose to be a speed day for me, but my legs were sluggish and heavy starting out and my HR was higher than normal....I'm sure this was because of my 18 mile long run last Sat. I figured I would take it easy and set the cruise control on 9 min pace and run as far as comfortable. Got 11 miles in about 1:41 and some change and felt good once I got home.....ave HR was 142 which is high for me on an easy run, so I think I will take tonight off and maybe ride my bike trainer to rest my running legs, plus we are supposed to get 4 to 5 inches of rain today, with serious thunderstorms...but mild temps though. Have a wonderful day today all, and happy running and workouts, or whatever Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good runs to all you early morning Masters! I have just been catching up on stuff here on the forum and went to check on my status in the 1000 mile club group. Our one and only evanflein is top 'o the chart! (a little late st. pat reference Roll eyes ) Congrats! Wildchild has also made page one...way to go!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Good morning Boomers. 4 carpy miles on the treadmill this morning in 37:30. This was the fourth day in a row running and I could tell. Each leg felt like I had a 50 pound weight strapped to it. We have freezing rain as well this morning, Mary. You're brave to get out and run in it. I have a pair of shoes that are still drying out from Sunday's jumps through slush puddles. Nice run today, Tim and WRFB. Bill, way to tough it out in heavy winds. Hope everyone has recooperated from their Irish feasts - good Tuesday runs, all. Jeanne

Hill Runner

Good morning, Another rest day for me today....this is getting to be a bad habit. Smile I feel pretty good this morning and I think that I might do an easy run tomorrow. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

King of PhotoShop

Tim's post is worth rereading for those who wonder why they get hurt. Supposed to do speed, but feels tired and dials it down to a softer pace. That's good thinking. I wonder how often we say, "the schedule calls for..." and then go out and do something dumb. I know I've done it enough. I got up early for a change and did 2.2 easy to test the foot. I feel fine. Heading out now for Maryland then Chicago. Hey, what's in the water up there in Albany, NY anyway? Spareribs
                    Good morning, all! Dave - hope the Doc was able to help and you are feeling better. Doug - did the PT help? btb - it's hard enough to get into that breakfast place on a weekend morning. I'm not sharing! The nice thing is that if you have to wait in line, you can hit their coffee/drink bar and at least enjoy that while you are waiting. Jeanne - my treadmill run (6 miles) was carpy as well, but I think I might be coming down with a cold. DH has been fighting one since last week, and I think the bug has jumped ship. I took Jesse's Ecollar off last night, and she had this most amazing look on her face. After wearing it for 5 days, I think she thought it was going to be a permanent puppy torture device. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Doug - did the PT help?
                      Thanks for asking, Sue. I think that it did and will continue to do so. At least the therapist managed to find a stretch that definitely gets the affected area (it has been difficult to localize). It seems to be more of a ligament strain than a muscle pull. Unfortunately, ligaments can take a while to settle down. On the good side, cycling does not seem to aggravate it, so I will probably swap cycling for running once the weather warms up a bit. Ribs: I still think my answer yesterday (goalie) could have been correct. After all, the clue was out of context of the puzzle (no letters to cross-check), and Fife does have a soccer team! Wink Good running to everyone out there today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Busy.....busy.......busy. I manage to get short runs in, although I missed my normal long run over the weekend. This happened while I was on the road and the weather was windy and in tornado warning levels. Question here for future reference.......If you are running with your Garmin on and a tornado picks you up and drops you a mile or two down the road, do you count those miles? I need all the help I can get. The basketball team I work with won their conference championship by one point on a basket that went through the net at "point 3" seconds left in the game. So now it is off this weekend to the NCAA Dance. I won't bore you with the frustration of our seeding compared to the rankings. Suffice it to say, the selection committee and the rankings system are not in synch. Teams we have beaten during the season are given higher seedings? Oh well, it does not matter. These kids are just thrilled for the chance to battle for another game. My brother finally had his catheterization yesterday and they discovered 3 blockages of 100% and one of 75%. Due to his diabetes, they cannot risk open heart surgery since it would put him on permanent dialysis for the kidneys. So, they are sending him home with a strict diet and medication. For three months they will wait to see if his numbers improve to the point of being able to put in a defibulator and then start him on a modified exercise program. Of course the question is...will he be alive in three months? My frustration is that I had been encouraging him to exercise.....even a little....for several years. He always said he wished he could, but it was just too difficult with the shortness of breath, etc. Now he is not going to have a choice if he wants to live. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for this wonderful 63 year old man who has spent his life as a pastor, encouraging and helping others in their times of need. He is loved by many. I could spend a lot of time explaining the various areas he has been involved with in a variety of settings......always as a volunteer. Now scores of people are rallying around him at this stage in life. I probably need to plan a quick trip to visit him in Maine. This needs to be done sooner than later. I will manage to do my run for the day this afternoon. Somehow I think it will be VERY welcome. Have a great day everyone.
                        Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Question here for future reference.......If you are running with your Garmin on and a tornado picks you up and drops you a mile or two down the road, do you count those miles?
                          Only if your legs are moving the whole time....Big grin Sorry to hear about your brother, Vista, and I hope the meds clear the blockages. Erika – 6% body fat? Wow! I didn’t even know women could get that low. Spareribs - I’m so glad you’re foot is doing better. Sue - what is an e-collar? 42 degrees this morning, steady rain, 16mph wind – not exactly IRC in my book, but at least it wasn’t too cold. These first runs in the pouring rain of spring take a little getting used to. I stood in my garage looking out the open door for several minutes before I got up the courage and plunged out into it. My rain shell kept my upper body fairly dry, but my pants were quickly drenched and the feel of icy water squelching in my toes is not my favorite. LikeMary, I found some innocent-looking puddles were really potholes. I actually stopped twice to empty my shoe – silly, I know, but it was driving me crazy. Still, it really wasn’t too bad after a bit. 11.25 easy-paced miles, with 5-6 soggy-but-steady hills. I’m starting to get that feeling I’ve been waiting for. That legs-are-really-tired-but-I-think-I-could-still-go-like-this-a-long-time feeling. Still waiting on speed, though. Today is the electrical inspector and the radon inspector, who apparently leaves his testing equipment in the house for 48 hours. What with my mischievous 5-year-old, I hope the guy puts his stuff up high.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Head Procrastinator

Hey all, Vista, good vibes to your brother. Is TomD posting here at all? Reason I ask is he posted about a new marathon he is going to be Race Director of in the old CR forum. I don't feel comfortable pointing him to other forums from there, maybe someone else can let him know the score. Barb
                            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                            Dave59

The doctor said I had bronchitis and prescribed a z-pack. If it's a virus it won't help but I'll give it a few days and see how it goes. One of these days I will join you in actually running. Roll eyes

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breeger.. Tory and I did 6 in an hour too this morning, but no wind. My cold is much better, almost gone. Vista, thanks for the update, our prayers are with your brother. Peter.. rest is good right now! Just savor the victory! Dave.. Z-packs work well

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova