Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.27.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm very excited for the VT group! I hope everyone arrive safely and without major problems (other than the traffic, which was because it was a Friday afternoon in 'leaf-peeper' season, so lots of folks were heading north). If you haven't already, go read Mike's Pre-Race Report - very entertaining and enlightening.

I slept a little late this morning, and so didn't get on the roads till 4:30. I went 13 RW miles in gorgeous 54F temps under clear skies. I stopped a couple of times, once it started to get light out to try to capture some of the glorious color of the Autumn leaves. Here is what I got:

Today, we're off to a farmer's market, and then a country art fair, followed by yard work, and dinner with friends at a favorite french restaurant.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  Do you want to know how to keep an overly obsessed engineer busy for the day?  Give her a water bottle belt that the water bottle keeps slipping out of....I can't wait to see what she comes up with....

wildchild

Carolyn

Skip and I have decided that Mike's hosed - there's no good way to keep his water bottle in the holder.  I suggested I could run behind him and tell him when the bottle falls out , but that requires him to run much more slowly...    Maybe Karin could help out here!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

>>Good Plan wildchild........

===========

..35mprnb

deo

.....................good running guys...............and Good Luck to our Racers.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

...    Maybe Karin could help out here!

you mean sue the manufacturer, . . . or skip and you.

Just tell mike to drink lots of water or something today

have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I offered up a hairband and a safety pin....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

We are still lounging around on the back deck or our cabin, enjoying the sunshine and the beautiful view of the mountain ridges and the surrounding countryside.  Skip and my brother Mike were here when we got here last night.  We had stopped at a market and picked up some groceries for last night"s dinner, so we didn't arrive until after dark, and so were not able to see how lovely it was until this morning.

Not sure what is on tap for the day.  Packet pickup, food, and some gathering of friends!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Duct tape? In all seriousness, need a spare bottle holder or fuel belt? I can bring up extra? We're leaving here at about 3:00 pm and will get to registration at 5:00 pm or so and then on to dinner right there.  A whole group of us are staying in White River Junction and will head there after dinner to get settled (and get some sleep...HA HA HA!).  Well stocked aid stations every 4-6 miles too.

Can't wait to see y'all!

Happy weekend all.

BlazinCajun

Nice 13 RW miles there coastwalker.

Mike, just carry a bottle and keep it light.

Good of luck to all the VT runners!

Everyone else - cheers. Andrew

forgot: Last night my daughter and I ran four miles with some speed work thrown in. Ran six hilly miles this morning.

Andrew
                    ------------------
                    God, my Lord, is my strength;
                    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                    and enables me to go upon the heights.
                    Hb 3:19

lamerunner

So Jay slept in and got out the door at 4:30??  I am a big slacker then. I got going slowly and hit the trail around 9, ran about 10 miles in warm sunny but not humid conditions. there was a high school crew regatta getting underway at the lake where the trail starts, so it was busy at first. Not many people after the first couple of miles though-- a few bikers and runners.

Gorgeous weekend here.  Probably family hike tomorrow... along with many others I am sure.

Good luck to all the racers!

King of PhotoShop

So envious of all of you in VT this weekend. New England is my old stomping grounds and I know what Jay means about the traffic, with out-of-staters going gaga over the turning leaves.  I think of all those years I just took it for granted. it is spectacular. I hope you all savor it and have a great weekend.

Speaking of VT, I once ran a marathon in South Hero, VT, a small island in Lake Champlain.  The course circled the island and all the farmers and townfolk turned out to volunteer, Scouts, ambulance corps, volunteer firemen, Lions Club, ladies groups, that sort of thing. I ran it on my birthday in August, 1980 as just a training run for the fall marathon season, in 3:12 or so. I was 34 years old.

Today the Saint and I ran a 5-mile race in Plano, TX.  I ran something like 43:30, about 8:46?  Felt okay, but legs are tired from week after week of racing and still doing my 35 mpw. But the big news was the Saint who ran under 47 minutes, in 9:25's.

So all our friends are sitting around after the race in camp chairs and sharing snacks and stories and at the awards ceremony, she gets first Seniors, and I get 3rd in the 65-69. She gets this humongous trophy and I get this little one, and oh the laughter!  The boys will have fun with dad all this week.

I had to explain to her in the car that her win was a big deal, beating all women over 50 at age 58, which is better than winning the 55-59. Super proud of her.  Nap time now!  Spareribs

BlazinCajun

The Saint wins the Seniors Division! Awesome and great job. SR gets some change? Hang in there SR

lamerunner - good job getting that 10 miler in this morning.

Andrew
                          ------------------
                          God, my Lord, is my strength;
                          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                          and enables me to go upon the heights.
                          Hb 3:19

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon all.  Looks like the VT folks are having a great time.  Hope Mike holds his water properly.

6.2 (I think) miles this morning.  My Garmin is acting flakey on uploads and today's run seems to have disappeared.    may be time for a hard reset again.

Good racing from the Ribs's.  Glad the Saint is holding up the family reputation.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

The Saint wins the Seniors Division! Awesome and great job. SR gets some change? Hang in there SR

Wow - that Saint is really making great strides!!  Congratulations!!

So excited for the VT group!!  Really wish I could have worked it into my plans, but ha a much needed girls night with a friend last night who is going through a rough time.  That moved my long run until tomorrow morning and I just didnt want to figure out how to work in 19 miles in the hills of VT while cheering on our friends!!  Instead I will be cheering from Maine with every mile I run tomorrow morning.

Yesterday did 7+ miles trying to settle in to marathon pace but I just cant seem to nail it -- a little too fast for most of them and I know that will bite me if it happens during the marathon.  Today 3.2 moderate pace miles then a 90 minute massage!!  Hoping to feel loose for tomorrow's 19!!

denise