Masters Running

Bill Rodgers visits The Maine Running Company (Read 206 times)

As I said earlier in the week I had the opportunity to go hear Bill Rodgers talk about marathoning and running in general at The Maine Running Company in Portland, Maine last evening. What an evening it was, he is so very personable. I can't begin to tell you all how much I enjoyed getting to talk to him again and of course I took the opportunity to snap a few photos, and we gave him a "Maine Rowdies" shirt which he so graciously put on so that we could grad a few photos. CNY - Bill said he would be at Hartford as usual this year and really looks forward to it. Ribs - Bill did indeed know who I was talking about when I said that "Spare Ribs was looking forward to the next HM race together" and once again he looks forward to it. What I liked the most about listening to Bill was how he puts himself at "our" level and the "what you see is what you get" persona...no phony balony! I had previously purchased a print of his 1979 Boston Marathon finish and he signed it for me last night and listed his four Boston Victory times...so cool! Big grin Here's a few of the photos I took last night:L Bill Rodgers at the Maine Running Company Bill Rodgers at the Maine Running Company Bill Rodgers at the Maine Running Company A couple of my running buds (Don and Joel) and me with Bill Rodgers Joel & Bill Rodgers Me and Bill Rodgers Edited to fix the links! Confused

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow maine, that is truly awesome.....great pictures!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Henrun

Great pictures. I recently reminded Bill of an incident in 1978 at the Baltimore Marathon which he went on to win in a close battle with the British runner, Ron Hill. A few of us were standing in the registration line before the run. Bill wandered over to ask how one of the runners we knew and had recently been injured was doing. Yes, Bill is quite personable. I've seen him at a number of races in Boston and elsewhere and he's always friendly.

King of PhotoShop

Aside from all that running success, he is a true gentleman and lover of the sport. He will help anyone and has been my running idol for years. Thanks so much for this Bob. Spareribs
          huskydon

So cool! Thanks for sharing! huskydon
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good photos! I wish I could have made it, but there was too much school night stuff going on. At least I know what he looks like now!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Boston Billy got last place in a one-hour out-and-back in my home town in 1979. He ran some six miles or so out with the fastest of the local runners and then left them behind to breeze cheerily by the rest of us (who had turned around at our own 3 - 4 mile half-way points) on our ways back. When we got to the finish, he was standing this side of the line high-fiving and cheering us to finish before he stepped across.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

sooooooooooo cool!!

denise

DickyG

Fabulous pix! What a great evening it must have been. DickyG
                      Awesome photos Mainerunnah! You all look so handsome and check out that eternally youthful looking Boston Billy! I'll have to screw up the courage to just introduce myself at Hartford. I am afraid I'll be so start struck, I'll drool or something. I did make it through dinner with Kathrine Switzer without spilling anything....maybe some hope for me. Thanks for sharing this great experience. Karin
                        Love that story, jon, about him high-5ing folks and crossing last. Classy. Neat photos, thanks for taking the time to post, and we get to see the running buddies, too! So, what tips did you get for Portland??? C'mon, no secrets here! grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles