Masters Running

Wet and Windy Monday workouts and other stuff (Read 394 times)

Trpoical Storm Isaac is currently out in the Gulf of Mexico and generally made for a wet and windy weekend - continuing into today.  Even though it is a long way away, it is so big that it is affecting us quite a bit.  DD2 and her sons are in Palm Beach Shores all this week so we spent the weekend with them.  The boys basically spent every waking minute Saturday in the swimming pool, except for when they were eating.  Literally.  On Sunday we went out by the Ocean and watched the monstrous swells.  That was cool.  This morning's drive to work was "fun".  When the feeder bands go by the winds and rain pick up substantially making for a miserable drive into work.

I have noticed a hot spot on the sole of my left foot so I've done nothing at all since last Thursday, hoping it'll clear itself up.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning.....

Sorry about the hot spot on your foot, Bill....although I don't think I know what that means. I've had hot spots on my feet on some longs runs and marathons, but it goes away once I take my shoes off. Same thing ? - but your's is lasting for days ?

Didn't feel like posting my runs over the weekend (just dealing with my hurting heart) but had a couple of good runs...

16 miles Saturday morning...but was lazy and didn't get out the door till 9:00am, and it was already really hot out. Wasn't too bad after I got a good sweat going, and finished strong the last 3 miles. 8 more miles yesterday, and my legs felt great....could have ran much further.

Donna refuses to talk to me at all, so I'm doing my best to just move on...very hard considering how close we were. Very selfish and inconsiderate her treating me this way, when all I want is a respectful reason why she did what she did.....seems fair to me. She did send me a short email telling me her life sucks right now, and how depressing it is that she can't run because of her accident and surgery. She told me of all people, that I would totally understand that. Heck, we all know how much it sucks not being to run, when we desperately want to. I asked her to call me so we could chat for a few minutes - she said NO. She's going through something big obviously, but frustrates me because I would like to be there for her. Just so odd her telling me how much she loved me one day - and she added forever too, and how happy she was. Then the next day she doesn't want anything to do with me....that makes no sense, but I have to accept that and try and forget. It's just hard......

A few of my friends tells me to go out and find another woman - yeah right. Took me 12 years to find what I "thought" was the ideal woman for me - and she said I was perfect for her

Will run 10 miles or so tonight....had thunderstorms here early this morning...

Have a good day everyone...

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

A few of my friends tells me to go out and find another woman - yeah right. Took me 12 years to find what I "thought" was the ideal woman for me

If there's one thing I know, it's that no one can "time" meeting someone and falling in love. It may have taken 12 years this time, but who knows how long it'll be the next time?  Your friends just want what's best for you.  Get out there and have some fun.  That is a good thing for you even if you don't meet anyone right away.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

5 medium effort miles this morning. 

It's Monday so that means I start trying to eat better.  Last week I made it one whole day.  Did you know they grow round orange things that taste a lot like orange Jelly Bellies if you take the outside peel off?

I sure hope Isaac doesn't become a worst case scenario for the gulf coast.

Did you know they grow round orange things that taste a lot like orange Jelly Bellies if you take the outside peel off?

...we need

to have you Hypnotized so CottageCheese tastes like Twinkies....

=========

.Naprosyn Week,

so no pounding for 7-days.

I forsee a lot of PoolRunning in my Future

.......................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

No hurricanes here of course, Bill, but wet nonetheless. But I might still get out in an hour or so for an official "recovery run."

Who was it that said in order to place well “you don't have to get fast; you just have to get old?” Maybe that was the case in the Crim 10-miler Saturday when I ran a little faster than last year, but with much better results in the new AG. I finished 17th of 154 in the 65-69 AG, which is almost a top 10% placing. There were about 9000 total finishers this year, making this my best finish in a big event.

After 36 years of growth, the Crim finally instituted an official wave start with assigned corrals, which helped a lot at the start. This was the first time in 13 years here when I didn't spend much of the first mile or so dodging or shoving my way around slow runners and walkers who started way too far to the front.

Running mostly with people doing my pace helped me keep an even pace myself, as I found when I checked my splits on my Garmin. I ran it in 1:31:33, which is a 9:09 pace, and indeed I was right in that ballpark all the way. I was especially surprised that I didn't slow down for the 6th mile, which contains the famous Bradley Hills. My slowest mile was the last one, where the course came out of the shade into the direct sun on a rapidly heating-up day.

The only downer was not seeing any of the usual crowd there. I remember times when we had half a dozen or more CoolRunners at a Crim meetup: Daave, Mark, Tom, Amie, Derrick, and others. Maybe next year...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

No run today still recovering from CRIM.  Working 12 hrs all week and still trying to get house done  at same time.  Dr. appointment Tuesday, ulta sound and systascope, they run a camera into your bladder, not very comfortable.  Hopefully this the last time I have to see Dr. for a while.

No good news on DS2 front, he seems to be drinking less, or he is hiding it better? He has started running again and did 5 miles the other day in 38 min.

Run well all

...Nice Racing roch///////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Nice running Roch!  And nice placement too.

Just 2.2 slow miles today after yesterday's day off.  This whole week will be relaxed and easy, not because I'm injured, but just so that I won't be. A bit more rest now will get me back my sproink a bit sooner.

Good news and bad news here.  The good news is that last night was the Trivia Championship for the DFW area and 57 teams qualified.  The Rib Cage finished 4th overall and won $350.  The bad news is that I wrote down all the questions and will be torturing you with them all week.  We really didn't deserve to do as well as we did.  We were something like 13th heading into the final question. We guessed at it and wagered 30 points, the maximum, on it so that if we got it right we would leapfrog over a bunch of teams who missed it.  We got it right.  Here it is:

Stack rank these former U.S. Presidents in order of life span, from the one who lived the longest, to the one who lived the shortest:

Eisenhower, Ford, Harding and Hoover.    Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

And here is the post that was written by Tinman, on the subject of twice-a-day workouts.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/08/a-surefire-tip-to-ramp-up-miles-without-fatigue-or-injury.html/

Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Ford, Eisenhower, Hoover, Harding

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Close Ilene.  Ford, Hoover, Eisenhower, Harding.

Congrats on the Crim, Roch.  Nice running, indeed!

Bill - I was thinking about you as we watched the news re the storm this weekend, wondering how it was affecting you.

Dave - Big grin

TomW - Big grin the cottage cheese-twinkies.  Hope the bod starts cooperating soon.  Have "fun" with the pool running.  Am hoping you are able to avoid SpeedoMan.

I had absolutely no idea on the trivia question, except Ford lived the longest.

Rest day for me.  I thought about doing strength training this, a.m., but I think I'm going to change that to Wed/Fri as opposed to Mon/Wed.

On the 3NJ's Facebook page, a listener posted this link re coming in DFL in ultramarathons.  It's a really great article and totally exemplifies why I love trail/ultra running so much.  The part that really got to me was the section about the guy who came in last this year at Western States.  I got all misty-eyed thinking about how hard that guy struggled to finish and the folks cheering him on to the bitter end.  The community and comradery I've experienced in ultra running is, without a doubt, second to none.

PS - The avatar change is just for you, TK.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie.......ugh.

Rest day.  But I feel sproinky.  Hopefully tomorrow it will still be there.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

10 miles tonight - first 3 in the pouring rain...that felt good. Then the sun came out and it got super hot and muggy out. But a good run....

My running is going well, and I'm running 7 days a week and feeling great....

Good night

Timbo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!