Masters Running

Sunflower Trail Race RR (Read 207 times)

Mariposai

Sunflower Relay and Iron This race is part of a trail race series and it normally represent my first chance to do some trail runner in the spring. Total distance: 21.7 The Course This unique course begins at 1900 feet elevation in Mazama and includes deer trails, cow paths, bike routes and paved roads. Stunning views of the Methow River, North Cascades and Chelan Sawtooths abound from flower carpeted meadows and fields. At two points racers climb to 2600 feet and drop quickly to the finish at about 1600 feet in Twisp. Down scroll the page in this link to see the elevation profile. http://www.mvsta.com/summer/sunflower_map.pdf My goals for this race Finish sub 5, my time last year was 4:27, but since I just raced a marathon two weeks ago I decided to take it easy and just enjoy this first outing of the year. My second goal was to try to come FL (fricken last). Third goal, to PR in photography during a race. This is a well organized race. Runners meet at the finish line and they bus us to the starting line. The description of the legs. There are 5 legs to the relay. For us brave souls who dare to iron it the exchange points represents a nice place for refueling. * Leg 1: 3.1 miles, moderately difficult. The first mile is on a flat road, but immediately the trail starts going up. It was difficult to not cave in the temptation of stopping to play in the water, but it was too soon at this point for a break. Leg 2: 4 miles, moderately difficult. These four miles takes us through some evergreen trees, hiding the gorgeous view from us until we go to the top of the first monster hill. Once we got out of the timbered area we were greeted by a blanket of sunflowers and other wild flowers. Leg 3: 4.4 miles, difficult, strong runner required. This was the first brutal ascent. I actually had fun pretending that I was being chased by a strong runner and started running like a mountain goat up the hill. I also knew that once I got to the top Paterson Lake was waiting for me. * Leg 4: 2.3 miles, easy, good for young runner. This is a fun leg that many younger kids run as part of the relay team. The course is flat, but the elevation is pretty high. The giggles and laughter of the young runners served us as a distraction from what loomed ahead of us...the mean hill. Once at the top we were at 2500ft. This is were I lost sight of my second goal...I had 4 road kills All our hard work was worth it since it took us closer to heaven. The view was stunning. The energy level of yours truely was low at this point...perhaps because subconsciously I just wanted to sit there for hours and hours. Leg 5: 2.8 miles, difficult. This leg is difficult due to the switchback and poor trail condition. I had to take some extra time to take this picture. The Sawtooth range, which is my hiking playground, is in the background. Leg 6: 5.1 miles, very difficult, extreme downhill sections. Well, one can not stay for ever on the mountain top and with sadness I started the descent to the finish line. Finish time: 4:31...did not achieve my first goal of FL, by around 7 runners. Second goal was missed by around 7 runners. So, what do you think of my third goal...did I accomplished my mission? Finish line decorations provided by mother nature.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

the day you get an FL will be the day you get added to the wagerers for a ride in the Seattle duck boat but, even if you ever did get one, the rest of what you experience in your runs probably wouldn't even let you notice it. Thanks for stopping to take all the photos and tryin' though. I vote for leg 5.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Beautiful pictures! Yes, I think you made that one. Looks like a very pretty course with some very challenging parts. You did great on time, too!
          That sounds like a tough course, mariposai. It sure is beautiful though. I'd say you got your PR in photography and would have had a time PR if you hadn't taken the time to get the pictures. However, I'm glad you did take and post the pictures. Your FL goal was never going to happen. Congrats on your race. TomS
            Beautiful
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            SteveP

There are events where making a good time has nothing to do with speed. Your event looks like a picture perfect afternoon. Thanks

SteveP

coastwalker

Your surely did earn your PR in photography! What a beautiful (and also challenging) course. For having run a marathon just 2 weeks ago, you did very well on this course, finishing only a few minutes behind your time from last year. I'm sorry you didn't get your FL, but there'll be other races where you can shoot for it! Wink Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Good workout for you, especially on the hills. Pics are great. See you Tuesday. Spareribs
                    I sure wish I had a place to run that is so wonderful. What a beautiful course thank you for sharing. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

That race looks gorgeous; thanks for sharing all those great pics. That was a really good run for you just a couple weeks after a marathon. It certainly speaks well of your conditioning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Looks like a fabulous way to spend 4 1/2 hours! I hope there were lots of water stops as the scenery makes me parched thirsty just looking at it. Nice job after your huge PR marathon just two weeks ago. You are iron!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

A huge PR in photography to be sure! This is a great report and very good run after some serious miles Maraposai. You bring such joy to every running endeavor and inspire me to absorb my surroundings much more. Well done!

#artbydmcbride

What a beautiful report by a beautiful runner. Smile

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

What stunning pictures! I can't wait till our trails are snow-free and the wildflowers come out. Your springtime must be at least a month ahead of ours. I just love being out on the trails in the mountains - thanks for sharing your joy (and oh, yeah, you were racing, too!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Beautiful! I wish I could have run it with you.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."