Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 3.26.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Well, I guess I should have rephrased that yesterday!

Yes, Jlynne, we still have some snow on the ground. This is our back deck and patio, and there is a table under the snow, just beyond those chairs. There is still 2-3+ feet in places, so it's going to be here for a while...

I had a busy morning already this morning: I got in a quick 3.6 mile RW workout at the usual time, and then had to stretch, shower, etc. and be ready to take DW at 6am to catch a plane to Denver for a conference. She'll be back on Saturday night, so there's plenty of time to get into trouble. The rest of the day isn't going to be any less busy, so I've got no time to ketchup this morning.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

and be ready to take DW at 6am to catch a plane to Denver for a conference. She'll be back on Saturday night, so there's plenty of time to get into trouble.

Make sure she leaves you some bail money Jay

I'm worried about all of the "T" people that have been having health issues lately: Tselbs, Twocat, TomW, Tet. Take care all of you.

Glad the conference went well Holly.

Woo hoo! Mike got into the Marine Corp. To me, that always looked like a marathon that would be at the top of my list.

6 miles in a windy 32° at Jay o'clock followed with 15 minutes of ab and core work. Still jumping over some snow piles after yesterday's storm but I'm not complaining. So great to be running outside. In March.

I gave up my opening shift at the Y but have now been deluged with way more hours than I care to work. Headed there now.

Have a great Thursday everyone. Go Badgers!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and Jlynne and all to follow.

I have my follow up with my oral surgeon this afternoon, so hopefully he will give me the okay to run again before I turn entirely to sludge.

30 minutes of weights and core this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning, peeps ~

I'm kinda sorry I missed the whole "gas" day!  Or maybe not . . . . But I do have one word for Ribs - "Beano."

Jay - Funny you should question the other day that maybe I should get my hammy issue figured out before I sign up for another long race.  Yesterday after work, I went for a 4-miler . . . and I have now put myself on the sidelines for at least a week until I figure out what's going on.  I'm certain its tied into my back issues as both hammies now feel tight, it's just that the left is worse and hurts when I run.  I have another MAT session on  Monday, so hopefully we can come up with some answers.  'Til then, it's easy walking and stationary biking.

Rant On

I'm having to deal with an issue at work re our dept secretary.  I talked with our office manager a bit and threw some things around with Shorty last night.  I don't like being a supervisor, and I don't like micro-managing, but I gotta figure out how to help her get her head wrapped around the fact that I'm a new regime and files can't be handled the way they used to be, mostly because things end up getting lost or forgotten.

When I first came to work here, I was horrified at how this dept kept its files and began instituting changes, even though I didn't know if I would have a permanent position.  When it became permanent, my boss told me, "Now's your chance to do things they way you want to."

Yesterday, I pulled 19 files from her office that hadn't been opened and spent 3.5 hrs opening them and figuring out which ones were priority.  A few some just simple files that we probably won't be doing anything else on, but at least 3 of them were from August, the rest of January through recently.  And that's just part of the problem.

She's a good worker who had bad mentors when she first started out as to how to maintain your office, files, etc.  I'm not a paragon of virtue in that respect, but at least you can find things in my office and in the files I handle.

Anyway - I need to figure out a system where I can stay better informed as to what files she needs to be working on, while keeping track of my own mess. Bleck.

Rant Off

Okay - I came in 1.5 hrs early, so I guess I'd better get something done.  Later ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - I am an absolute hard-a$$ when it comes to the handling of my case files, even to how the documents are named when they are scanned, so I totally understand.  I expect the folks who came in August have already found other legal representation, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Not much to offer but a short 3.5 mile run with a couple of 6-minute hill efforts.  Felt good.

I think I'll ride my bike tonight.  It's going to be cold for a few days and it would be nice to get out a little in case I'm trapped on the trainer over the weekend.

Hi everyone,

Jay, good early workout. That is quite a bit of snow. More than we have here in Ottawa it looks like.

Great run and workout Jlynne...way to stay in shape.

Good workout Holly, hopefully you can run again soon. always hard on the sidelines.

Good 4 miler yesterday fattozig, hope work issues get better.

Well today I did hill repeats after my warm up.

Used the same hill I used to get ready for Boston in 2007. Decent but not to steep 400 meters up. Go up slowly, come down fast.

It's a great workout to get your body accustomed to going fast, ie: body mechanics while getting your quads tougher. Worked in Boston amazingly... So you go down fast and then turn around and go up slowly, catching your breath before flying down again.

I did it 10 times with no rest before stopping and walking for a bit before jogging back home. The 10th one was hard. I am trying to get faster and to train my body to go anaerobic as I am out of shape when I shift gears. haha, not that I have may of those yet. Running at 220 is different than running at 204 like I use to. Hopefully I find the hungry runner again....the search continues.

The running journey is so much fun.

Take care everyone...best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Tall - I have a hill on the next block that would be perfect for those, I think, and would like to start doing them, but 10 - I would have to work up to that after a winter on the TM...

Henrun

No running today after 3 days in a row. This morning was sunny and low 50's and we walked 1.5 miles to a class. We're signed up for a 5 K on Saturday and it's the one lousy day in the forecast-back to the 30's and snow showers.

Mike E. You asked about the Marine Corps Marathon- it was the only marathon I DNF'd. It was early in my running career (late 70's or early 80's) and I hit the wall at mile 17- probably dehydration. But it was a pretty course ( I'm sure the course has had some changes since then). Enjoy it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Argobargo, Tail, my anxiety just went up up up!  Since I've been trying to be more prudent and really waiting for this left ankle/hamstring/leg thing to work out, I have not been running the bridge..........yikes!    O well, so I walk parts of Boston this year.  Wouldn't be the first time!  Good advice, thanks.

Maintaining files is a thankless but necessary job.  I had some issues over that in the past.  Fortunately, in my current job, we are in the process of going paperless within a fairly systemized program, so I'm appreciating that.

One of my colleagues stopped by, looked at a little photo of my folks I have on my desk, and said I look like my dad just "spat you out," meaning poor me, didn't get any of the mom cute genes.

Last cold blast (highs in the 70s) until October, prolly, coming in this weekend and I'll be missing it in DC...where it will be 50.  And spring.  Looking forward to it; and how often do you get an email that starts out: "Yippee!"  -???  My college roomie is still happy to see me.  And my "room is ready."  Believe me, I appreciate the gift.  So the plan is to do my last long run before Boston this weekend.  Anyone else going to be so engaged?

Congrats, Mike!  So will you be going, I presume?  Ever run the MCM?  I've done it twice, so DH and I are going to DC around his B-day sometime in September.  But I would like to do the MCM again at least once, I think.

Holly and Robin....do we need to put out a "sludge alert" for your minds?  (t-mill tv)      (don't trout slap me for that remark!)

About 8 and 2/3s this am.  Slow, as left leg still not 100%.        Really wanting to pack my Pumas but know I should pack the more cushioned Skechers.  This being prudent is hard.  I'ma go talk a walk and ponder it all in my old Pumas.

Is tet ever coming home?

Happy Thursday afternoon (west coasters) and evenings, all.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Twocat, bummer about another headache.  I hope you get it straightened out soon.  Your thoughts about a medication are worth pursuing.  Mike, I'm glad I could join you in a game of catch.  I was better in the dream than I'd be in real life.  fatozzig, I hope you get some resolution to your hamstring problems.  Tall, it sounds like tough hill work.  DrRobin, nice long run.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and almost calm.  It was a nice day to run.  I still struggled to get in 5 miles at an 11:37 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

..hi guys//

..........fatozzig//.............just remember, if You have to choose between yourself and her to get Fired..........pick her

I based a career on this

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - it's not so much my mind that is sludge, but my muscles....

The oral surgeon says I am healing nicely, but would still rather I wait another week to run, and then start slowly, like 10 miles for the week.  Or maybe that means run 10 miles in the next week.   Hmmm.  His reasoning is this:  He cut holes in the sides of both of my upper jaws (on the outside edge), lifted my sinuses and put a bunch of bone graft material in the hollow in the middle.  Over the next few months, my own bone will join with this and totally fill in the upper jaw rear portions with home-grown bone.  He covered the holes that he had cut out with two pieces of  Gortex-Titanium mesh (under the skin) and tacked them in place with bone tacks.  The no-running rule is to keep me from too much jarring motion so that the mesh pieces don't get bounced out of place before everything heals.  I guess I can understand his point, although, when talking to my regular doctor about arthritis in my neck and running, he said that the rest of your body pretty much absorbs the jolts of running before it gets to your neck.  So now you have way more information than you probably wanted to know about all of this.

Looks like my longest run before the marathon on 4/18 will be the marathon. 

Dave59

The oral surgeon says I am healing nicely, but would still rather I wait another week to run, and then start slowly, like 10 miles for the week.  Or maybe that means run 10 miles in the next week. 

How did the oral surgeon feel about your recent 10 mile run?

Sometimes when I run I could swear I hear a clicking sound in my head, like an unused portion of my brain has come loose and is bouncing around in there.  It is annoying when it happens.

I was in the WV office for a week, then a day in NC to see my nephew get married, and then a week down in Tallahassee with my daughter, son-in-law, Annabelle & Riley.  Annabelle, by the way, turned 7 today.  We had an early birthday party when we were there that Annabelle called her fake birthday party.  She picked out the cake, decorations,and Silly String to "surprise" her with.  The kid loves to be in control.

I ran 4 or 5 times in WV.  0 times in NC.  3 times in Tallahassee.  We drove straight through (Sunday) to get back.  20 hours total with 18 of those driving.  An accident on I-75 just south of Lexington, KY held us up for an hour to an hour and a half.

When I got back I did a little math to see what it would take to meet my goal of at least 100 miles a month.  I needed to average 6.33 miles for the final 9 days of the month.  I have run 6.53, 6.86. 6.3, 6.23 this week.  So far so good.

Marathon Maniac #957

How did the oral surgeon feel about your recent 10 mile run?

SHHHHHHhhhhhhh......