Masters Running

Advice for men (Read 496 times)

TammyinGP

For some strange reason, this reminded me of Spareribs' advice column he writes on occassion: Tongue It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman. My name is Jim. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Sharie. When I retired a few years ago, it became necessary for Sharie to get a full-time job along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf club about the same time she gets home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door. She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed. Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour but, boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points. When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too. I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Sharie. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other. Signed, Jim EDITOR'S NOTE: Jim died suddenly on May 27 of a perforated rectum. The police report says he was found with a Calloway extra long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II golf club jammed up his rear end, with barely 5 inches of grip showing and a sledge hammer laying nearby. His wife Sharie was arrested and charged with murder. The all-woman jury took only 15 minutes to find her Not Guilty, accepting her defense that Jim somehow, without looking, accidentally sat down on his golf club.

Tammy

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

ROTHFLOL - you know, the sad thing is that I knew a couple like this. He was "disabled" and she worked full time. He wasn't so disabled that he couldn't hunt every night and fish all day. He brought home the deer, raccoons, fish, etc., and it was her "job" to clean and cook them. She had to cook his breakfast before she left for work every morning and also prepare lunch that he could heat up. She had to have dinner on table by 5:30 or there was h--- to pay. She had to commute 45 minutes one way to and from her job, and he called about the time she arrived at work to verify she was there, and she had to call and tell him when she was leaving work so he could time her return trip. He had kennel full of hunting dogs, and it was her "job" to clean the kennel and feed the dogs morning and evening. He died of a heart attack a few years ago, and she is now having the time of her life. I would have gladly helped her with the golf club and sledge hammer.......

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I am officially switching from Calloway to Nike clubs after reading this tale. Thanks for the warning.

jfa

That's a really sad tale.Any idea what happened to the club? Cry

ROTHFLOL - you know, the sad thing is that I knew a couple like this. He was "disabled" and she worked full time. He wasn't so disabled that he couldn't hunt every night and fish all day. He brought home the deer, raccoons, fish, etc., and it was her "job" to clean and cook them. She had to cook his breakfast before she left for work every morning and also prepare lunch that he could heat up. She had to have dinner on table by 5:30 or there was h--- to pay. She had to commute 45 minutes one way to and from her job, and he called about the time she arrived at work to verify she was there, and she had to call and tell him when she was leaving work so he could time her return trip. He had kennel full of hunting dogs, and it was her "job" to clean the kennel and feed the dogs morning and evening. He died of a heart attack a few years ago, and she is now having the time of her life. I would have gladly helped her with the golf club and sledge hammer.......
              Holy crap! (can I say that??)

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

(((pssst, fatozzig. Patty Griffin. Have a DS of the same name, plus I'm a huge fan of hers, too.)) Very cute, Tammy. Now, of course, the um, idio.. er, husband... could have avoided his demise had he daily looked her in the eyes and said with conviction, "Damn, woman, you're beautiful."

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, applause! Oh did I love that. I actually have one of those wives. The Saint mows the lawn, all that stuff, but I am a bit more careful than "Jim". Anyone remember the gag from the old "Honeymooner's" with Jackie Gleason. Alice comes in with a big load of laundry and he says, "How many times have I told you never to carry those big heavy loads of laundry up all those steps. From now on, make two trips." Spareribs
                    (((pssst, fatozzig. Patty Griffin. Have a DS of the same name, plus I'm a huge fan of hers, too.))
                    How embarrassing! Wink I needed a change anyway . . . Cool

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Big grin Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Tammy! Major Snork!! Thanks, I needed that... Big grin
                          Tammy, I got a good laugh out of that. However, my laugh did not measure up to my wife's when I showed it to her. TomS
                            That is funny. Thanks for sharing it. The sad part is, while I may see the error of his ways in Jim, I wonder what areas in my own life mirror his blindness. Well, fortunately at least I am not married. Thanks again for posting this.
                            Vista

GreenMan

I knew golfing was dangerous.
                              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              TammyinGP

Tammy, I got a good laugh out of that. However, my laugh did not measure up to my wife's when I showed it to her. TomS
                                Tom, if you golf, play tennis, fish or joust . . . you may want to get rid of those items.

Tammy