Masters Running

Stevie Ray and the Missing February Coast-to-coast race reports (Read 259 times)

xor

What I did for February can be found in here. That would be the Surf City Marathon, the very crappy Valentine Marathon, and the National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer. Also, surgeries and stuff. I learned that AAA isn't just that org that tows my dead car and used to send me maps.

#artbydmcbride

I hope your Dad is recovering well. Great reports as usual. (I am proud of antagonist on his first marathon as well Smile )

Runners run

Nice read, Lopez. Great adventures!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        xor

I hope your Dad is recovering well. Great reports as usual. (I am proud of antagonist on his first marathon as well Smile )
          He's doing ok. The surgery recovery went well, but he developed blood clots after that so they put him on the mega-blood thinner coumadin. They are still trying to get the dosage straight so he's scared about cutting himself or falling. And he can't eat stuff with lots of vitamin K. Which, as it turns out, is a lot of the normally good, healthy foods. Plus he's on a medicine to slow his heart and this makes him very tired. I've been trying to get the doctor to take him off this... he went on it for the surgery. Which was a month ago. Anyway, lots of work.

Marathon Maniac #957

Stevie Ray - you are such an excellent writer. I love reading your reports. Thanks for sharing another extraordinary month with us. Best wishes to your dad and family, and to your little Tobias.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Robert, I agree with Holly, you are a great writer, not too mention how nonchalantly you can run so many races... and deal with real life ... Funny,... I was looking at the pictures from last years Redmond Watershed 12h,( yes signing up this years as well), and I found one where we are both standing at the aid station, must be after 40 miles or so by the look of me...I didn't know you then, the newbie I was!! Keep the running and RR writing going, on to 300 now!!!! Francesca
                hello Stevie Ray, thanks for the wild ride. Cool picture of you and Jon Boy on the Surf City course! I hope your dad will be ok. Coumadin is scary. And that sucks about having to avoid vitamin K food. What can he eat? Take care of yourself since you're busy taking care of so many others.... best wishes, linda

usandtoto-2@msn.com

SR - loved reading your report(s). Hope your Dad and doggie continue to get better. Congrats on your three training runs. Will you be running Eugene this year? If so, we should be having our annual dinner get together the night before. Hope to see you at a race soon.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I also love your reports--the amount of detail you remember and include is amazing. Hope your Dad will continue to improve. best wishes to Tobias, also. Tobias is our dog's middle name, courtesy of my son, who wanted to be able to refer to Max T. Dog Confused I'm an unwilling convert to coumadin, due to my atrial flutter and subsequent treatment. I was avoiding it for a long time. It's turned out not to be quite as painful (at least in my case) as I expected. The vitamin K foods are a matter of consistency rather than avoidance, so the the levels stay stable. but i imagine there's a big difference between a 50's guy and someone in their 70s. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

xor

SR - loved reading your report(s). Hope your Dad and doggie continue to get better. Congrats on your three training runs. Will you be running Eugene this year? If so, we should be having our annual dinner get together the night before. Hope to see you at a race soon.
                      Hi - I'm very bummed to say that I will *not* be at Eugene this year. I made the first two editions and pulled a 3:28 there last year. Alas, my Maniac friends moved the Tacoma marathon to the same day as Eugene this year, and I kinda sorta obligated myself to that one. Thanks everyone for the nice words about my writing... I actually didn't think this one was very good. My next couple will be better. Little Rock was #200, and the one I ran today (Grasslands) was an adventure that needs to be written down. Holy smokes.