Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 3.2.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Have fun with the self-winder, TW.

Nice run in the Yaks, and with ice face, Stumpy.

Nice long runs/race by Holly, Nancy, Mariposai, and Twocat!

Sorry about the pipes, Twocat; about Addison not feeling so well, Starr; and for all the new snow that appears to be everywhere.

DW hit the big time with her work to provide unbiased explanations of our town's 49 warrant articles for this year's Town vote:  http://nhpr.org/post/residents-work-close-town-meeting-information-gap-web-tools

We also got a couple of inches of snow overnight, so I did my walking behind a shovel this morning instead of 'freestyle' down the roads. I'm hoping this clears up well enough today so I can get in a workout tomorrow morning, before tomorrow night's expected snow. And so it continues...

Keep smiling, and have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Morning Jay and all of you.

5 yesterday and 5 today.  We have light rain both days and it's okay, not freezing, but not pleasant either.  On Sunday the Cowtown cancelled the full and ultra as they couldn't clear the ice, but they did hold the Half and other than a few complainers it all went off fine.

I'm writing all week for a client and awfully busy.   Spareribs

Henrun

We had an inch or so of light snow overnight and it was all plowed and melted by the sun by the time I went out for 3 miles. Temp is up to the 30's- hope this is a true harbinger of spring. With all the snow we received this winter the town has done a magnificent job of clearing the roads- although many roads remain narrow and should be one way. I haven't used my yak-trax even once and have rarely missed an outdoor planned run.

Hello, All - I'm home.  Flew back Saturday and drove home yesterday.  Felt good to sleep in my own bed.  Okay, in a bed period, since I slept on a futon for over a week.  I didn't keep up with the posts while I was gone, so I have no idea what's happening.

However, I see the weather is still crappy in so many places!  We have sun here, but it's not warm.  A bit of a shock to walk out of the house this morning in comparison to weather in Hawaii.  I don't see myself wearing shorts again any time soon.

Didn't exactly get in a ton of running, but one day we went over the Volcanoes National Park and got in about 6 miles, including 2+ miles down in one of the calderas.  That was cool!  Then on two separate days we did a 7-mile run down a road about 1/4 mile from where we were staying.  And when I say down, I mean DOWN.  I'm looking forward to downloading those runs to see the elevation changes.  On the way down, we took each little side road to give our legs a break, then did the opposite side roads on the way up.  I don't remember our time the first time, but when Kate and I did it a couple of days later, the 7 miles took us 1:40.  I don't know that I've ever run anything so steep before.

We also did a 6-mile run on the highway, but the shoulder was pretty narrow and not the safest place to be.  Also got in a couple of really good hikes and lots of snorkeling.  Not sure all the activity counteracted all the food I ate, though.

But now I'm home and back at it.  And with that, I need to go plow through all the emails for week.

Yack atcha later ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Twocat, nice 25K race but sorry to hear about the plumbing problem.  starr, it sounds like quite the grandkid visit, starting with your husband's trip to get them.  I sounds like it ended well. fatozzig, glad to have you back after what sounds like a great get away.

Nice long runs for Holly and mari.

This morning, it was in the mid teens with a light wind.  I was able to find clear and dry roads for 5 miles at a 10:36 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Vacation is going well with a few glitches and changes along the way, but we're having a great time. We're in Palm Springs now for a few days. It's colder than usual but still warm for us. Finally got a run in and it was great! I always say that switching to shorts is worth a minute a mile for me and I ran 3.1 at a sub-10 pace with my fastest mile at 9:35. I usually don't see those times until April in Michigan. Next run: Death Valley in a couple of days.

Keep on truckin' everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

Rest day for me today. Got in 20 miles last week (which is probably the highest in quite awhile). Having a 90 min deep tissue leg massage today. David won a GC at a recent race and gave it to me. Not only would he not want a massage but after the workouts he gives me, he probably figures my legs need it alot more than his anyways. This MT is a runner and sports massage therapist - quite a few of the local runners go to him, so he should be able to get all the right spots. David starts track today, so i'll just forewarn you all that i'm probably going to blabber on about him too much. 

Tammy

Dave59

Is it ok if I take off again today?

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice lunchtime reading but I have no time to respond, other than to say, "Hello!" and (((hugs))).

No run for me today, just 20 minutes or so of weights and core.

Happy March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good evening good people. Computer back up and running after "the move" last Friday. We're in our new house, but settled would be too strong of a word. Here's what's happened to us since last Friday:

After making our old house spotless and "move in" ready, we got to our new house to find out the construction company forgot to have a cleaning crew come in to wash windows, clean shower stalls, wipe down the floors and get rid of all the construction dust. Round #2 of cleaning.

Too cold to pour concrete meant no garage floor and no driveway. We had to haul all of the stuff (lawn mower, snow blower, grill and garden items) that we would have put in the garage down the basement because the garage needs to be clear for the cement company to pour the floor (at this rate, it could be May) Did you ever try to carry a snow blower down a flight of steps?!  I tried to talk DH into just shoving it in a corner because they're predicting heavy snow tonight/tomorrow morning but he was worried it would be in the way

Ordered a new washer and dryer and timed the delivery for Friday so I could do laundry while I unpacked. Unfortunately, the motor in my brand new washer wouldn't work. Service guy came today and said they would replace the motor. I told them no, they would replace the whole unit. No washer until Thursday at the earliest. This is week #3 of no washing machine.

Went to start my 8 year old car at 4:00 this morning to go to work. After sitting out all night in the cold, the battery wouldn't turn over. Back in the house to wake up DH and ask him to give me a ride, then over to the dealer after using jumper cables when I got home to get my car started. $170 later, problem solved.

We're grateful to be in our new house, but the Big Guy is testing our spirit this week. On a happy note, our neighbor across the street came over yesterday morning. Their family owns one of the really good bakeries in town and she had a Kringle and some doughnuts as a housewarming gift

Haven't had a chance to go back through the dailies but I hope you've all been on your best behavior while I was gone. That means you too, Tom W.  5 miles this morning with 30 minutes of weights.

Have a good night everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Whoa, Jlynne - that is some testing, for sure!  Twocat, too, but I think Jlynne has you beat.  Hang in there, both of you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Definitely testing. But having a neighbor with a bakery? Who shares? Sounds like karma is catching up at least a little. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

What a day is all I can say.  Turns out the leak was from a toilet and the ceiling collapsed from the accumulated water load.  Oh joy!  The sheetrock and insulation from the whole area has to go.  Then driers go in. After that germicides and other things to prevent the growth of various critters you do not want growing in your walls.  Last, new insulation, sheetrock and paint.  Well, the plumbing is repaired so at this point it just looks bad but is otherwise not a problem.

I have been to mention we have a mouse relocation project going.  Neither my DW nor I have the heart to put out a regular mouse trap.  Instead we have live traps.  Once we snare a mouse off it goes to a wooded area about a mile away.  Our current mouse relocation project has nabbed 5 of the little fur balls.  Good news is that in the last 2 days no new trap inhabitants.  At least one thing has gone right this week.

Running?  Running?  Who has time for running?    Maybe tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

We're grateful to be in our new house, but the Big Guy is testing our spirit this week. On a happy note, our neighbor across the street came over yesterday morning. Their family owns one of the really good bakeries in town and she had a Kringle and some doughnuts as a housewarming gift

The Big Guys must be testing you, but HE is also pampering you with sweet things!!

Too late for me to say anything else. The Omak Orchards in Bloom race logistics is taking up all my time in the evening and wee hours of the morning, that plus training for Boston . Anyway, 2 miles tonight plus some core workout before I came home to do 2 plus hours of race logistics work while the Easy Pacer was doing his tax preparation volunteer work. Life is grand!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

very nice jay and mrs. jay.

I always wondered what an article was for other than impeachment.

welcome back zigs. I had a day stopover in Honolulu planned last week like they used to give federal employees relocating overseas and coming back but now I'm just  tryin' to get back from Japan in time for St Patrick's Day. We'll see.

Twocat - your mouse relocation couldn't have impressed me more if you'd've said you just ran a 2:30:00 in training for Boston.  You are an unbelievably kind, thoughtful person.  I've done it for squirrels but wouldn't even have bet there were live traps for mice.  we used to dig coffee tins in the ground out in the woods to catch live voles and let them go (except for the albino one) but I guess you can't do that in the house.  Maybe in 200, 500 or a thousand years, everyone'll be like you. I'd like to be here then.  Thanks.

ps - are you that nice to your students?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)