Masters Running

Flying Friday. 9/26/14 (Read 30 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning! Yep..it's Friday...and I'm flying. This has been one of my busiest weeks ever. I really need this little vacation. I haven't even had time to check the weather forecast...is it still supposed to be warm? I've been able to calm myself down about flying,.figuring that if we crash, I don't have to suffer through 50 miles. Uh oh...gotta go. Safety features.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I'm sitting at the Dayton airport waiting for my first flight - to Philly and then on to Boston, where I'll be meeting up with Mike and Carolyn.  I only have 45 minutes between flights, so I am hoping I make my connection okay......Have I mentioned before that I hate flying?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin'  Mike and Holly and everyone to follow!

Fly safely!

Gorgeous photo, Wildchild - thanks for sharing.

I was rightfully nailed by the grammar police for yesterday's post: It was me who was rolling around on the tennis ball, not the cat. However, it would have been a lot more interesting if it had been the cat...

Tet, it's may not always be proper grammar, but I love the way you think and write. How can anyone argue with this thought, or not love the way it is expressed:  "I don’t think I’ve ever whined about the weather that makes where we are what it is, and what we are what we are too."

I'm glad Leslie is getting good money, even if it is as a result of people doing bad things.

Happy belated Birthday, Steve! Sorry that, as a flatlander, I can't create an elevation chart like WD's. Sounds like an 'interesting' dinner you had last night.

CNY's SuperGranny has had a heck of a life. I can only imagine what it must have been like to have been with a talent scout for the Apollo in Harlem in those days. It's bittersweet (good word, Evanflein) that she is revisiting those times.

It's a bummer about David's bum ankle. I hope he gives it time to heal.

5.5 RW miles at 4 o'dark. It was 47F with a slight breeze from the NW. The skies were breathtakingly clear and chock-full of stars. My left food was giving me jolts of pain with each step for the first 3/4 mile or so. I was hoping I'd be able to move past it as I got into the workout, and, thankfully, that is what happened. When I got back home and was walking up the driveway, I heard the sounds of departing deer who, I assume, had been enjoying some of the plants in our back yard for breakfast.

Best wishes for tail winds, fleet feet, great meet-ups, and finish line smiles for all of this weekend's racers!

09/27 IBleedUnionBlue - Fort4Fitness 1/2 Marathon, Ft. Wayne, IN

09/27 StarrRuns - Stillwater Log Run 10 Mile, Stillwater, MN

09/27 tetsujin - Fat Glass 50K (Bellevue, WA) - thongs

09/28 shipo - Downhill Half Marathon

09/28 wildchild - Vermont 50 mile, Brownsville, VT

09/28 CNYrunner - Vermont 50 mile, Brownsville, VT

09/28 Mike E - Vermont 50 mile, Brownsville, VT

09/28 HollyS - Vermont 50K, Brownsfille, VT

09/28 pfriese - La Grand Classique16K, Paris France

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!  I'm at Denver airport waiting for my flight to Boston.   Excited about the VT meetup!  See you guys soon!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

I'm flying too. I'm in the Atlanta airport waiting for my flight to Tallahassee.

I ran a mile this morning at 4am. I have a mini streak going that I decided to keep up at least one more day.

Karin, so sweet about your grandmother. It reminds us that in some cases the dementia is not at all hard on the one who has it, but can be on those around them. Glad to see you're just rolling with it.

Had a nice bike ride yesterday with DW, but canceled out any calories burned with a stop at a cider mill along the way. But is there anything more tasty and pleasant than a cool cup of fresh-pressed cider and a warm cinnamon-sugar doughnut on a clear, crisp day in late September? I think not!

Although I'm just not in half-marathon condition right now, I really hate to miss out on the big annual event that is so close to me, so I'm going to the expo this afternoon and sign up for the 10K. That way I can be part of the action and also be there to watch for friends finishing the HM. The 10K starts right after the HM and is laid out on the Oakland U campus roads, which I have run dozens of times over the past 20 years. It won't be any PR (it's quite hilly for these parts), but I feel like I can put in a good showing. It will be $65 (!) to register this late, but my DW said to just consider it a birthday present.

This afternoon I'm going out for a long solo road-bike ride on the Macomb Orchard Trail. Again, a perfect day for it! Good racing to everyone else this weekend as well.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

I'm on the subway heading to my PT appt. I think I've turned the corner- 2 mile jog yesterday with no pain and no pain this morning in my Achilles. Looking forward to seeing the Vt crew this weekend as we run and leaf peep.
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Had a nice bike ride yesterday with DW, but canceled out any calories burned with a stop at a cider mill along the way. But is there anything more tasty and pleasant than a cool cup of fresh-pressed cider and a warm cinnamon-sugar doughnut on a clear, crisp day in late September? I think not!

Drooling now.  I think DW and I may need to go apple picking this weekend.

Happy Vermont to all the RA ultra folks.  Enjoy the run and the company.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Good morning.  I hope all the flights go smoothly.  I heard something about possible delays due to a fire at the Chicago tower; hope none of you are affected. It is a gorgeous morning to fly though!

I made it out to the rail trail this morning, ran about 8 miles and felt ok.. Started with a little fog then it cleared out and got very sunny, low 50s.  It is interesting going out there around 7 a.m; the trail heads almost due East and there are a couple of spots the sun comes through the trees just right and you cannot see a thing-- it is a pretty smooth dirt/ash path but there are some rocks. Nice color in the leaves.  No blue heron today, but I often see one at a pond about three miles out.

Hugs to Super Granny, and Karin. It must be hard to deal with the dementia, but if she is cheerful and comfortable, that must help a lot.

I loved Jay's cat story from yesterday, grammar notwithstanding. Our cats are all old; they just battle each other for the best spots on a sunny windowsill or on the radiator.

Happy weekend and good luck to all the VT 50-ers and other racers.

mrrun

Happy flying everyone - can't wait to see you.  we'll drive up sometime tomorrow - my only flying was a fast 6 in coolish weather.

double shoutouts to Jay and his shoutouts!

last night took DS out for his bday and GD2 because her bday is next week to a pub near them.  turns out it's a free entree if it's your bday.  fortunately the place was not noisy and I drove so DS could drink 2 beers to henry's 1.  being the designated driver I drank when I got home.  GD2 got her bday present early - 7 books for 7 years and  my 'baby' is now eligible to post on this site

happy racing all!

marj

King of PhotoShop

Jay, I think Tet has killed off at least ten people attempting to be grammar police!

What a beautiful week it's been here, with mornings in the 60's and clear skies.  Today we did 4 miles easy in prep for tomorrow's 5-mile race.  We have one more race to do next weekend, then it's off of racing for a bit as we do some long weekend runs to prep for the fall. I ordinarily would not be racing as often as I have been but the Saint is running so well that I delight in seeing her success.

Lunch today with a former work colleague, then it's the weekend!  Happy flying everyone.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

I'm not flying until next week. I guess I picked the wrong wknd to be flying. I love flying - used to work for the airlines (remember Northwest Airlines?) so flew quite a bit while I could do so so cheaply. I remember one trip was from Seattle to Seoul for a wknd of shopping. I spent more time in the plane than I did in Seoul. But I was flying first class, on the top deck of a 747-400, so was very comfortable - good food, good movies. It would have been pretty miserable if I was in coach.

David didn't get home until about 9:40 last night, so by the time he showered and we got him doctored up with arnica, turmeric, ibuprofen and into bed it was close to 11:00. Good thing Fridays are late start and he could sleep in until almost 8:00 a.m.  He seemed to be okay last night. He had been keeping his foot elevated and on ice most of the time at his meet and there was minimal swelling when he got home. He had been hopping around everywhere, probably afraid to put pressure on it incase it was really messed up. But last night we had him walk a bit and he could do that, gingerly. Hopefully it doesn't feel worse this morning, as sometimes soft tissue injuries do. I left for work before he got up and DH was going to drive him to school so he could sleep in more.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon!

May the O'Hare Mayhem not impact any of you intrepid runners!  Godspeed, and keep smiling if you are delayed.  You will make it, eventually.

Looking for photos from Vermont.  Y'all going to learn to sing "Moonlight in Vermont?"

And Best Wishes to everyone racing locally, as well.  Especially, you, tet!  I continue to miss you, and am reading a novel set in Seattle so even more so.  We need another trip to the Pink Door.  And where is dive??

Steve, belated but really sincere birthday wishes.  You always make me smile.  Fishy onion riings....did Tag get a doggie bag?  Bday ice cream?

Loved the graph, wild; have fun in VT!

KArin, my FIL used to want to go out and call in the cows at sunset.....I think I'd enjoy the Apollo stories.  Blessings to both ladies, your gran and MIL.

Welcome to Florida, DAve!  Saw a good post on FB today:  "While everyone & their mama is shouting from the rooftops "Welcome Fall!" & sipping on their Pumpkin Spice Lattes in their cute layered clothing, I'm over here trying not to die from a heat stroke."

...although this morning wasn't too bad.  I was taking easy, 7.5 with the first 3 at over 10 minute mile pace, just enjoying the stars and then the dawn, just before heading inside.  Getting up later and later, is our old sun.  Made to Speedsters last night and snagged an avocado, fresh picked, after 6.5 at a nice 8:30 pace watching the sun set.

All the best to everyone,

And heal asap, David!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...my plane didn't crash, so I guess I have to run this dang thing.

Tammy, that really stinks about David.  Hopefully, he'll heal quickly.

I made the mistake of going ahead and checking my back at the gate...they were begging everybody...but now, I'm out of the terminal and can't get back in to meet Holly at her gate...and maybe get soemthing to eat.

I had kind of a scare at the baggage claim.  Right when I got there, I saw "my bag" coming around the corner.  I went around some people to grab it but, before I got to it, somebody had already taken it.  It is a common looking bag and the guy took off...I didn't want to make a scene and chase the guy down...and I figured mine must still be on the carasoul.  For about 10 minutes, I was convinced that I had let some guy take the wrong suitcase...with all my running gear inside.  I was already thinking about how I was going to have to go to a running store and get new gear and how, running wwith new shoes was going to kill me...and then I saw my little bag at the other end of the carosoul.

Okay...where the heck is Holly?

Good Luck and Happy Running to our Racers this weekend ~~~  Am looking forward to hear about VT.

Henry - Yay! on feeling like you've turned the corner.

{{{Healing Hugs for David's ankle}}}

I love to fly.  Someday I will splurge and fly first class somewhere.

My 6-mile run this a.m. turned into at least 6.50 (if not more) as my need to make it to the Safeway bathrooms far exceeded my desire to turn around and head home.  After defiling some bushes on my route a couple of days ago, I wasn't in the mood to do as such again.  The last few blocks to Safeway were more in line of being fartlek blocks.

Beautiful, clear, crisp morning that called for thin gloves and capris, but was still comfortable in a short sleeve shirt.

I did some core/ST yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks.  My butt and arms are sore.  Read a good article in Trail Runner  magazine last night about the benefits of ST for runners.  Unfortunately, with one exception (planks), the article focused only on the lower extremities.  Upper body ST is just as important, IMHO.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance