Masters Running

Veteran's Day Daily, 11.11.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has served to protect our country!

Aamos, I've also gotten emails from people who said our course was long (13.3, etc. instead of 13.1). But we had it measured and certified, so I'm confident that the distance was accurate. We all know that Garmins, etc. are good, but not perfect. But if folks at your race were showing 14 instead of 13.1, that's a big difference. I wonder if that course was certified? I can certainly attest to the fact that it can be very challenging to get enough volunteers to cover every intersection and turn on a course, and to make sure that every volunteer clearly understands where their section of the course goes. However, that is what we get paid the big bucks to do. (Where is my check? It must have gotten lost in the mail.)

It sure was nice to get a good night's sleep again last night: Two nights in a row - unheard of!

6 RW miles this morning at 4 o'dark, in 36F temps and under partly cloudy skies that filtered and diffused the moonlight. At the racewalking clinic on Saturday (yes, I participated because there is always room for improvement), I learned that I need to open my stride a bit, and to rotate my hips more. So that is what I worked on this morning. It was challenging to stay focused on those two issues and still keep up a reasonable pace, but I feel like I did OK. Near the end of the workout, I saw 2 deer running across the road. 2 minutes later, a friend drove up, heading to the nearby woods for some early-morning hunting. The deer had gone the other way, so he wouldn't be bagging either of them.

Here is a photo from Sunday's race. This is the guy who asked us to help arrange for him to propose to his girlfriend at the finish line. I just love what is going on between the two of them in this shot!

Have a greta Veteran's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

More like Valentine's Day than Veteran's Day, but very cute nonetheless.  Hope she said Yes.

I took Tet's advice and signed up for the slightly faster pace group.  I will vouch for Jay's pacers--at least the one that I ran with on my first Seacoast.  He was on within several seconds until I pooped out.

3 taper quick miles around the lake this morning.  36F made for good practise for Saturday.  It's predicted to be high 20's overnight in Richmond. Taking a run to Salvation Army at lunch today for starting line clothes, but boy, am I happy that it's going to be nice and cool.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Stumpy--that's perfect running weather for Saturday!

Great job this weekend, Jay.

4 miler with some short 400M intervals to keep the legs moving.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sayhey! MM#130

Veterans Day, and DH is one, but he always hastens to say "non-combat," so I will too.

I think he gets a free Starbucks!

Jay, it was a course full of loops and I think some folks ran an extra somewhere.   Really?  People email you with fraction quibbles?  Yuk.

Say, in the photo, is the guy in the background in the dark blue sweatshirt the woman's dad?  Look at the look on his face. ?....

Love the photo, roch.

Who is snowed in today??

Thanks for noting the marathon; is it too rude and self-agrandizing to explain it was not an AG but 3rd OA?

5K tonight over another bridge for the holiday.  Enjoy the day!

grins

A

Kevin, greta weather!  We'll be tracking you!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

A big thank you to all who served and particularly to my uncles, cousins and colleagues---Bill, Ron, and Peter. All branches represented and dutifully served.

Amy! Not self-aggrandizing at all. You Go Girl! and 3rd Overall rocks. Congrats!

Sweet photo Jay and I love all the expressions of joy on the onlookers faces. The guy right in front looks almost confused though!

What a fabulous marathon forecast for Richmond. I wish you no wind, no bonking, and no blisters.

Early morning run with hill repeats on the Hot. Choc. run 5k hill (4 of them) OOf....then home for cups of coffee, web surfing, and all with a 75 lb Wookie-Ewok like Griff on my lap. He lives life so right----happily goes running and walking with us, comes in and drinks or eats a bit, gathers up a stuffed animal or two, and falls immediately asleep snoring like a steam train.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Say, in the photo, is the guy in the background in the dark blue sweatshirt the woman's dad?  Look at the look on his face. ?....Love the photo, roch.

if rochie's was Norman Rockwell, Jay's is an Eisenstaet cover on Life Magazine.

Thanks for noting the marathon; is it too rude and self-agrandizing to explain it was not an AG but 3rd OA?

amy, dear amy - no explanation necessary.

You worrying about being too rude would be like me worrying about running too much except worse.

Besides, with almost a hundred of 'em so far, your AG wins are almost automatic anyway..

Have fun and be happy at Richmond next week Stumps.

I know you will.

Veteran's Day gets more and more sobering every year realizing how blessed each year has been because of the millions who never got to get this old, having their own kids and grandkids, go running when the want, . . . if they could, . ,. . so sad.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Great photo, Jay!  Even though she ran a HM with a jacket tied around her waist.......

After a nice long stretch of good health, I have come down with the crud.  Yet, after a relatively miserable night of scratchy-throated and stuffy-nosed tossing and turning, this morning I had the best run I've had in ages - where did that come from?

With the polar vortex scheduled to arrive tonight, I just had to get out there in this morning's windy 49 degrees.  I felt amazingly sproinky and ran fartleks of all different distances at will, running 7 miles total with about half of that at speedy paces.

Now of course I am back to my scratchy-throated misery at work, but at least I got to start the day with a joyful, energetic run that left a smile on my face.....

Enjoy the gift, folks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great photo, Jay!  Even though she ran a HM with a jacket tied around her waist.......

After a nice long stretch of good health, I have come down with the crud.  Yet, after a relatively miserable night of scratchy-throated and stuffy-nosed tossing and turning, this morning I had the best run I've had in ages - where did that come from?

With the polar vortex scheduled to arrive tonight, I just had to get out there in this morning's windy 49 degrees.  I felt amazingly sproinky and ran fartleks of all different distances at will, running 7 miles total with about half of that at speedy paces.

Now of course I am back to my scratchy-throated misery at work, but at least I got to start the day with a joyful, energetic run that left a smile on my face.....

Enjoy the gift, folks.

You certainly did

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Nice job...and well done Jay!

Gotta love the garming nazi's. My course is on a 5k and pretty much a straight line. Besides the offical Jones counter I had two different GPS brands and a bike computer that all agreed on the measurement. I really do not expect any distance complaints...but you never know. Our course is not certified.

No run this am...wintery mix outside, warm DW inside. Enjoyed a few extra Z's.

King of PhotoShop

Next time say to those Garmin people, "Train harder."  You all know how I feel about that issue.

Tet said it just right about Veteran's Day, and I will add that the day is more significant today than earlier in my lifetime.  People give up first class seats in airplanes, there is far more, "Thank you for your service" and other respectful gestures. It pleases me to see it.  I will never forget the Vietnam years when people mistreated our poor soldiers.

I wish people would not misspell Roach's name.  That was a great photo.

Here is what I concluded this morning about bad weather.  The complaints are greater when the weather follows many days of gorgeous weather, and that's what we have here in N. Texas.  We've had weeks of mild temps and clear blue skies. Now it's only in the 40's and bit windy and you would think there was a blizzard out there for all the complaining.

The Saint and I did 4.4 at easy to slow pace this morning. Spareribs

Dave59

Say, in the photo, is the guy in the background in the dark blue sweatshirt the woman's dad?  Look at the look on his face. ?....

Maybe it's the guy's dad.  

Happy Veterans Day to all who served. The leader of our Tuesday hill gang served in the Marines in Somalia.  We got a couple stories out of him today.

And I did run the hills this morning. 7.18 miles total. My butt was dragging up the last couple hills and the 2 mile run back to our cars, but I did finish it all.

Amy, we expect AG wins from you, so OA placing is always nice to know!

Great follow-up post & photo, Jay. I vote for the gal's dad.

Waiting to hear from Carolyn after yesterday's plummeting mercury in Colorado. (And come to think of it, since mercury is now such a hazardous substance, can we still talk about it in reference to the temperature?)

Another beautiful day here, but last night the weatherman said this might be the warmest day we'll see until next March or so! I hate to say it, but after a strength workout at the gym, it was a great morning for doing yardwork, and I enjoyed it even more knowing that it was the last time for the year. I mowed the lawn, applied winter fertilizer, cleaned up and stored the mower, and (horrors!) gassed up the snowblower and made sure it'll start. Some parts of the U.P. are expecting 18" of snow this week, but hopefully we won't see that for a while.

Have a nice day everyone, and enjoy the Polar Vortex when it comes to town!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

I will add Thanks to all who serve our country.

We were in Brooklyn this w/e for family party, so I have not kept up, but assume from today that Jay's race was awesome as usual, Aamos placed not surprising high, and probably lots more good runs.

((Holly))

After my first century ride, my odometer read 99.8 - I assumed my bike was wrong as this ride had been going for umpteen years, although I know someone who rode around to make sure her bike said 100!

ran under 4 miles this morning, because i had to get the cranberry bread out of the oven, but plan on biking this afternoon.

enjoy the wonderful weather for those who have it and for those who don't have, sunny days will come soon,

marj

SubDood

Happy Veterans Day!
                              Lately, I have much to be thankful for (or, “for which to be thankful&rdquoWink, so a good excuse to post. First, I got to run with Mike E last Saturday! He offered to meet me and run around the Minneapolis lakes, so I had to take him up on it. He’s a great runner, and a great guy, as most of you already know. I think we talked non-stop the entire run, and 12+ miles seemed to fly by in an instant. It was an honor and a privilege, and I’m really looking forward to the next time. Second, AamosY referred to our run in yesterday’s daily, which is really humbling for me. It’s hard to believe that she is reminded of me (or more likely, of my RA moniker) when she listens to Jason Mraz while running! Very cool! (Oh, and congrats on 3rd Overall!!)
                              Thanks to all you RA “Veterans” for being a daily source of motivation and inspiration to me!
                              Bob

C-R

Happy Veterans Day everyone.

Nice pic Jay and to those Garmin goofs tell them if it was long, you didn't charge extra and if it was short they should stop cutting corners.

Feel better Holly.

Only ran 2 so far. Legs are tired. Will try again tonight in the cold temps. Winter is coming with a vendetta tonight. I guess that's why I have all those warm clothes.

Cheers all.

Give a vet a hug or a cup of coffee to share a story. You'd be surprised. I know I am every time I go to a VA hospital.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/