Masters Running

Snowy Saturday 2/21 (Read 41 times)

Good morning good people -

I haven't had much time for reading or posting lately but when the opportunity to start the daily seemed wide open, I jumped on it

Nice to see posts by Breger and PBJ. Glad Tom has his surgery scheduled, sold his business and hasn't lost his sense of humor. You too, Dave! Sorry about Holly's tax problems, the cold, icy weather all over the place and no relief in sight. That Hudson is a good kid, but I don't wonder why he always does the right thing  Hope Leslie has fun in Hawaii (a well-deserved vacation) and Steve's back holds out.  And good luck to all who are racing this weekend.

We move next weekend and the whole process has been filled with problems. I won't go into them because at the end of the day, we HAVE to be out of our house by next Friday and that's it. May not have anyplace to go for a few days but hey - we'll deal with it. My nephew who was only 41 passed away unexpectedly last week. This was the son of my sister, who passed away last summer. Matt was a terrific kid but had horrible addiction problems. He got the double whammy from both sides of the family - my father was an alcoholic and his father was an alcoholic. He was a wonderful human being but just couldn't beat the demons. And he has three brothers who all have drinking problems. I truly hope that this will be a wake-up call for them.

7 miles this morning. On the treadmill. It actually got above zero after a week of bitter cold but we got 4 inches of snow last night. The scabs on my knee from my last fall after slipping on ice still haven't fallen off yet. Let's just say I'm older and wiser

Have a great Saturday everyone.

''If you weren't like a Brazilian miles away, I'd visit you while you're laid up TW. If you make too much of a fuss about getting a sponge bath, nurse Bubba may be the one who shows up. Don't ask how I know.''

SteveP

............I don't know, and I don't WANT to know.....

=========

..........morning jylnne//......Wishing You a Smooth Move, with no  police arrests involved.....

................still sleeting here.......but if I can see ground tomorrow WE RIDE///////

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

We're having a heatwave: 25°.  I ran 7.6 slow miles outside.

Just kind of chipping away at work today.

Henrun

City living at it's best ! We did an outdoor run on mostly shoveled sidewalks (Boston is handing out fines if walks are not shoveled). Temp was in the high teens with a 14mph wind. Since we live on a subway line I took my pass with me and did a one way 4+ mile run with a tailwind, hopped on a train and was whisked home. Marj did a 2 way but she's braver than me. Saw many Boston runners and even refreshed myself at one of their water stops.

King of PhotoShop

I'm sorry jlynne.  A lot on your mind and a heavy heart too. Hope all gets better soon.

3.4 Saintly miles at the park this morning.

Tonight we're going to see "MacFarland, USA" at a local theater. One of the big name running coaches around here rented the entire theater for the showing, just for runners, families and coaches, so we expect to see many friends there tonight, then go out to dinner.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

..........morning jylnne//......Wishing You a Smooth Move, with police arrests involved.....

This kind?  http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/smooth-move/ 

Jlynne - sorry to hear about your nephew, and for your moving problems.  I truly hate moving, and it is stressful at the best of times.  Hang in there.

Like with Dave, 24 degrees seemed like a heat wave.  It was snowing heavily and we had about 5" of new snow when I went out this morning. Mostly the plows had not been out yet, so I ran in the few tire tracks on the unplowed roads.  Slow, but lovely.  It has been snowing steadily all day, and DH drove me to the funeral so I wouldn't have to fight the roads.

7.3 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Feeling hopeful here -- ran 2.6 pain free miles OUTSIDE in 7degrees after my hour of computraining!!  Trying to be good with the stretches, PT exercises and renewed my commitment to icing (snow) after workouts!!  Let's hope the forward progress continues!!

Rushing (as usual) but will try to catch up best I can!!

Happy Saturday - hey guess what?? It's going to snow again!! 

denise

C-R

Hello all. Been a while and I will catch up when I can. Needed a break from the electing world for a while so I went into lurk mod. Frankly as others have noted I don't have much to say on my best days. 

Good luck on the move and sorry to hear about your nephew. Lots of people battle demons out there and we don't even know.

We had some snow today with our heat wave. Not much but enough to make me plan on buying a snowblower this summer. Got 9.5 on the treadmill and was able to watch some soccer To boot. All in all pretty good Saturday. Soccer practice tonight and a nice meal with the family.

Stay warm and it's good to see so many winter warriors in here.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

{{{{{East Coast friends}}}}. I wish you guys can find a way to ship the snow our way. We are in need of snow for our dry land.

Jlynne, sending butterfly hugs to you my dear friend. I will pray that a home to stay opens up for you before Friday.

Tomwhite, I so admire your attitude.

I smile every time I read the Saintly miles.

Henrun, smart move about running with the wind and getting a ride on the way back. I am about to do the same.

A total lazy day for me here, even a busy bee enjoys a slothful day . The Easy Pacer will be taking me up north so I can run home with the wind. Then it will be cooking Chinese dinner number two to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Last night I made a simple meal, today I will go the extra mile with more authentic dishes.

Smile my friends!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

21 miles at 8:30 pace with Iron J (9º at start and 18 or 19º at finish). It was -22 when I got up at 6 am this morning---we delayed our run until 9 am and I am so glad! The snow is on its way Deez.....been snowing here since about 2 pm. Hurray for pain free.

Congratulations on the retirement and business sale TW...and I hope you get those clear roads soon.

Big hugs Jlynne. This is a tough time and I hope the wake-up call does sink in for those who need it.

I'll see Dr. J tomorrow at a local 10 mile race where we are both volunteering. I miss all our running adventures together, but she is doing well and is a dedicated treadmill user now. The snow is supposed to stop early tomorrow morning and let's hope so as the runners will be much happier! It's a USATF-NE Grand Prix series race, so a big one.

Great school news for Hudson and I not surprised at all at how he handles all situations whether stressful or joyful. Bravo.

Nice running Holly and what a great outlook you have. I am no longer capable of using lovely and snow in the same sentence.

New skirt in town

So happy to hear that Tom will be recuperating soon, Nurse Bubba or not!  But so sorry to hear about your nephew, Jlynne.  Addiction is such a horrible thing...I've had a family member die from alcohol addiction, and it was like watching a slow motion train wreck that you just can't do anything about.

Ribs, my sister and I have our tickets to see MacFarland USA tomorrow with our sons!  I can't wait!

I had a long run planned for today, but it was -7F when I was going to start.  I hopped on the treadmill for an hour, figuring it would warm up so I could strap on my new Yaktrax and head out.  It was -8F when I looked again...so I just finished up my 17 miles on the treadmill.  My foot doesn't hurt at all anymore, so I'm going to have to sadly give up on my stress fracture as an excuse.  My training is not nearly where I would want it to be in a normal winter leading up to Boston, but I'm just happy to be pain-free.

ETA:  I posted without seeing Deez' post: yay for pain-free runs!  I'm right there with ya!

It's snowing again.  Uncle.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

evanflein

It seems like ages since I posted anything. I've been skimming the dailies but not much time. Work is just too much these days.

Jlynne, so sorry to hear about your nephew. And yes it's true, we don't know the demons others deal with. Hope the others take notice. And I hope you have a place to go next week!

Holly, that sucks about the tax/SSN problem. Drives me nuts though, that's your DH's SSN and has been for years. Someone else uses it for different tax situation, location, etc, etc, and the IRS just processes the return? Ridiculous. There should be more controls than that. Also, sorry about the implants but you've been struggling with your teeth for years. Good to have a plan.

I love how Henry takes his metro card on runs to get a ride back!

Yay for pain free, Deez! Just in time for coming out of the deep freeze you've been having.

^5 to tomwhite for selling his business and moving forward. Good that you can now work on getting that hip fixed and getting back to active life. The most common comment I've heard from people who have done that is "Why did I wait so long??"

Hudson is a keeper.

Nice to see PBJ and Breger pop by! Hey Breger, did your dog every figure out the booties? Loved the video of poor Oreo trying to walk in those...

Welcome back, Wildchild! Happy travels (and beach bumming) to Leslie! Awesome running in all kinds of temps and conditions to CNY! I also love Dave's posts, and can relate to the work issues at times.

Mariposai, I hope your friend came out of surgery ok. That's a big deal, and I hope she's on the road to recovery.

Hi everyone else! Just too much to comment on everything. I will say I've been watching the weather news for the last week or so, and sekritly (ok, not so sekrit) grinning at our reversal of fortunes! We've had mild temps all week, and this weekend we've got upper 30's in the forecast. It's 41° at our house right now, and DH and I are going in to our respective offices where I'll go run first, then get to some of the things I couldn't finish this week.

Jlynne my sympathies to your family.  Alcoholism is a tough problem to beat.  I really admire the fortitude of those that have.

Mariposai I suppose in your case it should be a busy butterfly.  

Spareribs congratulations to Hudson.  He will love the program at Austin.

I have no idea what happened today.  I went off to run 17.  My legs were stiff and I guess never limbered up.  I had planned to run 5 at MP.  Made it to 3 1/3 and called it quits.  Then struggled to get home.  I was totally wiped out and have been for the entire post-run day now.  I suppose there are just days like this. Hopefully, not many!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

JLynne--so sorry to hear that news.  It has to be so painful for all of your family.

3.8 miles on the TM this morning and then a couple of hours of ice breaking in anticipation of more snow this evening.  17.1 for Robin is unfathomable.  I liked one of her FB friend's comments "I went a ran a trail half marathon, on ice, to avoid that distance on a TM".

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Greetings, behind again, and again it is snowing.  Lots of ski activity lately. DS had his high school state champs about 10 days ago, which had been rescheduled due to a snowstorm-- not safe to race in a lot of new snow.  He did well, 3d in slalom and 5th in Giant slalom, then we scurried to the airport; we had planned a trip to Colorado to watch some World Cup and ski with our daughter who was on block break.  We made it and had a good trip, two days at Beaver Creek, which is a bit "resorty"  for our taste but it was fun to watch the WC skiing, and one day at Breckenridge, where DS could ski some chutes with our nephew and we skiied some high sunny bowls.

Today was a slalom qualifier for DS's age group in the USSA skiing. Two tough courses on a steep hill, but he survived and placed 5th. He got a 4th in one of the GS races,so he will likely qualify for JOs/ Eastern Regionals in Whiteface in March.  It is good to see his hard work pay off.

Oh, and running... today was about 6 miles near Ragged Mtn in -7 starting temps; yesterday about 8 on the rail trail with nice snow conditions.  I did a rail trail run up in  Gorham, NH on Monday, the day the lost hiker was found dead, about 9 miles in 3 degrees and windy.  I did wonder about the Fish and Game truck. Sad story, not a good time to be above treeline. Mt Washington was the second coldest place on earth last Sunday night, behind the South Pole.

Stay safe people!   Happy running...