Masters Running

The Tuesday Daily, 6.24.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Thanks for the cupcake details, Dave. I was wonderin'... That downed tree limb looks half on both yards, so maybe you could split the cost with your neighbor?

Nice stickers, Stumpy! Which one is next?

Aamos, your race stats left me both shaking my head (in disbelief), and grinning over how well you ran! You were (and always are) awesome!!

Ribs, the Ruffian story is, indeed, a heart breaker. I've had my fair share of over-use injuries, and think I've finally learned how and when to back off.

Sounds like a busy week, Tammy. I hope you had fun with your San Diego friends last night, and still found time for a run.

A run and core work is a great workout, Holly.

Nice long run on your day off, Mariposai.

It's nice to get woken by the birds, CNY. I looked at your Mt. Washington photos, and was amused by how the volunteers at the top were dressed: winter coats, hats, gloves. I also noticed that the skies were blue and crystal-clear behind the runners on the way up, but completely fog-shrouded at the top. Gotta love Mt. W, whatever ti throws at you!

A great 8, Tselbes.

I guess UCAN should change its name to UCANT, eh, Leslie? Good call to switch to something more tolerable.

Welcome back, Tet! I'm glad to know the taper continues...

Yeah, Steve - you've never told us about Tag's 'subtle' side.

Last night, DW and I went to see the completed sand sculptures from last weekend's competition at Hampton Beach. Truly amazing works of art that will be bulldozed after July 4. Then we went for a Flatbread pizza dinner, courtesy of a gift certificate remaining from this year's birthday. I learned that the restaurant has a "Mon. Run" deal every Monday at 6, where a group gathers to run to the beach and back (about 4 miles), and then share a beer or two. I might have to give that a try, if they'll have a walker.  6 RW fartlek miles at the usual time this morning. I like the yin and yang of the easy/hard changes. It was 58F and clear with a nice breeze from the south. Nice start to the day.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Remember ME!!??

I told hubby I was going to get up with him this morning and go for a walk/run....mostly walk with Chip and Rizzo.   Well he got up and I stayed in bed, then got up and had coffee, then kept looking at Rizzo thinking.....she needs to loose a few pounds and so do I, so I got going.   Only 2 miles, but I ran (jogged) the whole time which made me happy.   Now my garmin is charging up because I'm gonna do this thang!!  :-)

Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Morning, Jay.

Hi Mary.

Cool Mt. Washington pics, yesterday. Looks like it was a beautiful day.

Amy—awesome running

Stumpy— don’t those stickers obstruct your view?  Better not start doing ultras.   And I just saw you’re running Richmond; cool.  I hope to stay healthy and make it, too.  If you want any course notes, I’m your man.

Out for 8 this morning running some hills I haven’t done in ages.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Amy—awesome running

+1 Here! Here!

Hello there Mary. How are things on the western coast?

I met up with the Tuesday Hill Gang.  13 people there this week.  6.55 miles for me.  I wilted on the last set of hills and had a tough 2-miles back to where we start but it feels good to be done.  It was warm and humid.

The tree service showed up yesterday and he gave me an estimate and said they'd be back to clean it up in the next day or two.  My neighbors and I had just talked 2 weeks ago about going in together to take down that limb.  They are constantly worried about our trees and this limb blocked a lot of sun on their yard.  I was in fact getting some feed back from people on who I should get to cut the thing down.

I was happy my neighbors were out when the tree guy came because he said the trees are healthy and there wasn't any additional trimming needed.  He said that they can get a bad spot or a large knot and the limb like that can fall but it isn't common.  Now maybe they won't be trying to stress me over the trees.  I'll just pay for the clean-up.  No sense stressing the relationship.  I apparently saved some money by having it fall on its own.

We got my daughter a 1998 Dodge Intrepid when she was in high school.  Over the weekend (down in Chicago where she lives) she was filling it up with gas when one of the supports that holds up the gas tank broke from rust.  Yesterday she got herself a new car:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/14496522265_48525f8fca_z.jpg

Jeep Wrangler with a manual transmission.  I was a little surprised because she lives so frugally.  She hasn't bought much of anything for herself.  Not even a TV at place.  She has zero credit history so it was a new experience for the dealer.  She eventually went through the credit union where she has her bank account.  She has never even had a credit card.  The credit union advised her to get a card and use it once a month or so.

,,,hi hopeful//...good to see you checking in.......

=======

32mprnb

deo

>>>>>>>Question for the Employers in the Audience-

I just hired a 20-year old from a ''tech college'' who worked 2-weeks and told me he was moving wednesday

How in the Hell do you find relieable help??

thought a pharmacy tech school

would be more professional people

but not the case

.......suggestions appreciated......

.....................we now return you to your Regularly Scheduled Running Site..........

.......good running guys....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey! Mary's back. Cool.

I have been pretty busy and must admit to not being up on what is up around here.  Last Saturday was my 32 wedding anniversary.  Normally, we go out to a fancy dinner but this year DW wanted a simple dinner at home since the next morning was the Fairfield HM.  DW ran great!  She knocked about 3 minutes off her prior HM time from a few months ago.  As I have mentioned before, this training stuff works!  Alas, not training has the opposite impact.  I set a new PW in the race.  But then, I knew going in it would be tough for me to run well.  I have been mostly non-running for the past 3 weeks.  On the good news side, my legs feel so much better!  Most of the aches and pains are gone.  An odd feeling in my right knee, that is diminishing by the day(!), is all that is left.  Another week or two and I should be good to go!

tomwhite I had to do a fire drill hire a few years ago when the organization I was running lost its administrative assistant who is more like its COO.  She gave me two weeks notice that she was going.  I could not believe somebody with her job responsibilities would ditch out like that.  She was also really good at her job.  But, as luck would have it her replacement has been even better!  So you never know how these things will turn out.  Good luck with your employee search.

hopeful4ever welcome back!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Hopeful4ever, great to see you back. Happy to see that you are ready to wear that garmin again.

Jay, a few years ago I had a meeting in Portland, Maine and we drove through Hampton right after their sand sculpture contest. It was so cool to see the art work.

Tramps, great to see you running strong once again. How is Tribee doing with her recovery?

TomWhite, good luck with your search. Asking harder questions would help such as: what are your plans for the next two years, what is your professional goals, plans. why do you want to work for us, why shall we hire you, etc. These questions plus the profession specific one. Good luck.

Dave59, impressive car and one gorgeous girl!

Congrats to Mrs. Twocat on her faster finish time.

It is raining here!!!! No running for me since tonight is our running group meet up. I am thinking to do some hill drills with the group today.

Just 30' of arm exercise to work on the tank top arms this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Mary's back!  Tag is taking good care of Steve.  And I continue to miss having a dog in my life .  Love love love Coco and Caroline and Simon, but you know, there's always that place in your heart that needs a dog to love.   It will happen.....

tw, I'd go back to the tech school...I think that is a good idea.  Maybe look for an older person who is starting a second career.  Then you have someone with a work ethic who is eager to get established in the new position but has the basic skills of showing up and being responsible.

Love Hampton Beach!  Senior Skip Day destination for my high school class, Jay.  And I have been meaning to work on my flatbread pizza making skills at home, maybe will do later this week, thanks for the memory jog.

Congrats, Mrs. twocat!

Made a Thai dish last night and used two boxes of frozen pureed butternut squash with one can of (Trader Joe's) lite coconut milk, plus the usual (spices, onion, garlic, veggies) and it was good.  Sneaking those orange veggies into DH once again!

Got an offer from the Thunder Bay Marathon in Ontario; if I can get DH and me there, they'll pick up the race registrations and the room bill.  I'm thinking we could fly into the Cities (Ft. Myers is also home to the Twins for spring training, so we have a decent selection of direct flights to and from the Cities) and take a what looks like scenic drive (it'd be about 6 hours, 350 miles, in September, and the last half, from Duluth to the Bay, is along Lake Superior).   DH is used to driving across South Dakota, which is about a 6 hour trip, and I just drove the Cities-Duluth leg alone last weekend, which is about half-way.  Anyone been to Thunder Bay?

Well, in the mid 70s again this am, before the sun, and humidity abounds.  Eight miles at an 8:30 pace.   Shorts not totally soaked (eew, TMI?) so it could....and I'm sure will be...worse.  But I don't have to scoop it.

Happy happy Tuesday.  Get to run tonight with my young (29) friend who also went to Grandma's to try and BQ and did, in 3:30:49.     I got her results slip (it has her name, chip time, and splits) from the folks with the laptops at the finish line and put it in a little 2x3 frame to which I attached a Boston logo.  Looking forward to giving it to her...she meanwhile is making healthy, gluten free goodies for us for after the run.  We all love her.  (and not just because she bakes for us!)

grins,

Amos

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos, your race stats left me both shaking my head (in disbelief), and grinning over how well you ran! You were (and always are) awesome!!

Completely agree.  Amy - you are a wonder.

MARY'S BACK!!!!  You've been missed, although I've been following your doggie exploits on FB.

Pizza. Mmmmmm!!  I haven't had pizza is ages.

Dave - Interesting about your daughter not having any credit history.  I had to chuckle when you said the dealer was a bit taken back.  Good for her for her frugality and being responsible.  She deserves the new vehicle.

Tom - Good luck on finding somebody.

TwoKitty - Re your main person giving only two weeks notice - that's exactly what my friend did at her last two jobs.  She was THE person running the medical practices in both incidences, and she only gave two weeks' notice.  I was a bit flabbergasted.  I know that legally (or whatever) you're not required to give more, but I thought it was sort of a wrong, maybe morally (??).  When you're the only person in the business who know all the ins and outs, it puts the business in such jeopardy.  But that's just me, I guess.

6 miles with 3x1 mile tempo miles this a.m.  I think I pushed it too hard, but I was surprised at the times I managed to grunt out, given how tired my legs felt yesterday - somewhere around 8:50, 8:43, and 8:38.  The last one had the benefit of some slight downhill.  On July 4, I'll be running my first 5k race in a very long time, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

And that's about it.  Got a load of work sitting on my desk staring at me, so I best get to it.  Later ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

lamerunner

Good afternoon.  Fantastic running around here-- great races for Erika, Karin and her DS at the 10ks! I would have difficulty getting geared up for a race at 10 p.m. I think...

Spectacular marathon for Amy !  3:22, wow! and today back doing doubles.. how do you stay so healthy and fast?

Welcome back to Mary!

I ran 8 this morning too, around town. It got a bit warm, but not terrible. Upper 60s and somewhat sunny. I felt a bit cranky at first; our most elderly cat decided to walk back and forth across my face starting around 5-- which might be late for Jay but too early for me. It turned out to be a decent run.  I might do a tennis clinic tonight.

Yesterday was a rest day; weekend I did a bunch of trail running-- about 12-13 on Saturday with combination of rail trail, fire roads and trail around a pond; Sunday just about 8 on the rail trail. DH and I also took turns trying out his newly acquired kayak-- at the lake where the rail trail starts.  For reasons I don't understand, he has had kayaks on the brain for three years and finally bought one. Sort of a high end recreational kayak but much more stable and comfortable than I remember from kayaking as a kid.   The lake is also the City water supply, so while boats are allowed, swimming/wading is not. There are large signs at the boat launch telling kayakers that "No part of your body can touch the water."  I am not sure what happens if you fall in!  Does the water cop shoot you on sight?

We managed to pretty deftly get in and out from the floating dock without incident.

Gearing up for the first annual Wildcat Trail race this weekend. I got the bibs and timing tags!

Happy Tuesday.

evanflein

Hi Mary! <waving madly> Good to see you here! I too have been following the doggie experiences on FB, and both Chip and Rizzo have been doing so well.

Amy, your friend's time (3:30:49) is exactly my PR time from Newport in 2011! I was trying to go sub 3:30 but some foot cramps dashed that goal. You are running so well these days, and Thunder Bay sounds pretty cool. Will be a very nice road trip.

Trackrat, I think I'd be starving by 10 if I just had a bagel and banana at 6 pm, but the way I felt in the last mile of the race makes me think I should try that next year. I probably lost close to 20-30 seconds in that mile...

Sand sculptures sound cool. Too bad they bulldoze them so soon, but I suppose they get unstable after awhile. Our ice sculptures get knocked down at some point, too, so no one gets hurt from falling ice. Not sure they did that this year, but they used to.

Ran 5.6 miles yesterday mid-day and the 70° sure felt warm in the direct sun. Tried to keep the pace easy since my run on Sunday felt so hard. Today is cloudy and showers are forecast, but I'll try to get out again mid-day for a few miles. We've got a mile race on Thursday evening, and rain is in the forecast. So yay, a mile race (a distance I don't care for), on the track (a surface I hardly ever run on), in the rain (my least favorite weather condition). What's not to like?

Today is DH and my 25th anniversary! We're giving ourselves a remodeled garage/deck for our anniversary present. And we're going out tonight to our favorite spot.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I'd be you can easily keep up with a good many of them.

Mary - Hi!

That's all I have time for right now.  Once again, the last week of the month is super frenzied at work, so I will post quickly and come back this evening to read.

6.4 miles for me today with 16 or 17 x 100m striders (I always seem to lose count).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi folks,  just got home from Wyoming - I haven't had Internet available since last Wednesday, since we were camping and don't have smart phones.  Anyway, we had a wonderful trip!  My DH and DD and D dogs all came along,   The Bighorn 50 mile race was amazing, beautiful, and tough!  I was hoping to finish in 12 hours or so, but it took 14 hours to finish!  I ended up either 2nd of 2 or 3rd of 3 in my AG - the website lists 2nd but I was awarded the 3rd place rock at the awards ceremony.  I didn't attend the ceremony since it was the morning after the race and we were camping out of town, but a friend of mine who ran the 100 mile race picked up my rock for me, and posted a picture on FB:

I'll write a RR in the next few days, and post pictures - I carried my camera, as usual!

Hi Mary!  Welcome back!

Sounds like some awesome racing, as usual!  Amy, Erika, and Karin are sure speedy!  Enke, congrats on a good HM.  And nice that Deez, Marj and Henrun, and Karin all had a meet up in Boston!

Cute grandkid picture, Mike!

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff I wanted to comment on but I forget what it was...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Solid as a rock, Wildchild!

Amy - those stats are incredible.  You really kicked it at Grandma's.

Hi Mary!

Okay, I did it.  Signed up for the next marathon. Long-suffering and I will be headed to Atlantic City on October 18th.  Should be a good one.  The only complicating factor is that the hometown Hartford Marathon is just a week before.  Not much of a taper there...

10 miles today that included a run along Duncaster Road in Bloomfield, CT.  Then I heard on the news that there was a bear on Duncaster over the weekend that had attacked a dog.  Glad I heard about it after I ran.