Masters Running

Chilly Wednesday, 1.14.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Happy belated birthday to your DS and his DW, Jlynne.

How did feeding the basketball team go last night, Holly? Was there enough pizza?

Nice RHR for a 'jogger,' Stumpy...

I hope the back is better, Rochrunner. Lots of us have back issues, and have to be careful all the time about the ways we lift, bend, etc. It's amazing to me how much doing core work has helped prevent what used to be frequent back aches.

"and finally to Trader Joe's to pick up the real essentials of life (consisting mainly of stuff covered in dark chocolate)" I'm right there with you!

I always enjoy posts from Mustang Sally and Lamerunner. Congrats to you son on some great downhill racing, Lame.

I almost went back to bed after I fed the cat at 4, but I checked the weather and saw that I could get in a MMTD workout, so I got dressed instead. 6.3 RW miles in 4F temps (-3 WC) under a shrinking moon in a clear sky. It wasn't bad out at all, except for when I was heading into the wind, which is when my face and hands started to get a bit uncomfortable. I had to unfreeze my moustache when I got back inside.

Big Budget Committee public hearing tonight for all of our warrant articles. I expect one or two of the folks on the Committee to try to beat me up once again, but I'll do my best to stand my ground without stooping to their level of intimidation and thinly-veiled insults.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Superhero - Coastman - beat me to the daily thread which I had titled "Midwest Wednesday" keeping with the geographical theme of the week.

Anyway, it is somewhere between -9° and -15° here this morning depending on which weather site you look at.  My thermometer is at -8.9°.  My plan is to go for a run later after it gets above +10°.

Roch - Monday morning I went for a run and I was cussing the town in my head because it had been over a week since most the snow fell and the streets still weren't touched.  Then at dinner I heard the plows go by and I cussed them even more because I knew what was waiting for me at the end of the driveway.  I didn't hurt my back, but my right arm was sore and my heart rate probably exceeded any previous maximum rate.  After I did my driveway and was half dead, I looked and contemplated my neighbor's driveway, knowing he had some serious heart issues last summer.  I finally forced myself to go clear it off for him.  That left me 98% dead but I recovered.  I may do a good deed now and then but I make sure I do it with a bad attitude. 

mta: Temp made it up to 15 so I went out and ran. 4.32 miles. Footing was tough in spots but made it ok.

Slo

I'll refrain from comment on my towns snowplows...get's my BP up.

2nd day on a treadmill. If it wasn't for the morning boot camp and yoga pants I don't know how I could do it.

Heat wave coming. Hopefully I can log some longer runs. Our side streets are terrible...if it isn't a complete melt they will be slush.

Jlynne, I'm officially signed up for the Half at Green Bay. Room is booked at the BW across from the Stadium.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Yesterday just slipped away from me, whoosh.

And today, i can't get "smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy" out of my brain.   (Probably related to the Jackson, Mississippi reference right before it, taking me back to TFA days.)

Mustang Sally, we should have a sidebar and compare ankle notes.

Second week of running 6 miles in the am for 3 days in a row (Mon-Wed.)   Seemed a little less onerous and a tad less pnderous this week.

Have you noticed "Peanuts" is reprising a series focused on Lucy's crabbiness?  I'm mindful of that.  Avoiding the crabolas.

Starbucks also has dark chocolate covered salted almonds.  And this Christmas, Peppermint Cookie chocolate bites (really small, i.e., less than 10 calories a piece).     Then they stopped making them.

Thanks for the good wishes for Wednesday....feeling a tad undermotivated work-wise today.  Going to go find those wheels and grindstones and get myself at 'em!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

.  That left me 98% dead but I recovered.  I may do a good deed now and then but I make sure I do it with a bad attitude. 

For some reason, I'm reminded of this.

4 miles this morning.  We had a prediction of 7F today, but this time I took the thermometer into the bathroom so I could read the temp of 14F and reduced the layers accordingly.  Still got a little warm.  Also the legs felt a little dead--I'm wondering if it's DMS from yoga.

Happy budget meeting Jay.

Glad you can see the bright side of running inside, Slo.  I am assuming that you are not the one wearing the yoga pants.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

You guys are full of funny stuff this morning!   Thanks for the

Holly - We're usually in bed by 7:00, 7:30.  Granted, we read for awhile, but rarely do I go past 8:00 p.m.  Once in awhile I'll get a full block of 5-6 hrs of sleep, but not often, so I try to make up for it by getting 7-8 hrs of interrupted sleep.

Ribs - Hope the break helps the mojo.  It's hard to be Superman 24/7.  Just ask SteveP, our resident Batperson.

I feel for all of you with your snow and freezing cold weather . . . but it's that what happens in your part of the world during winter???

I got in an hour of core/ST this a.m.  I've been so bad about planks over the past few months that I am just at the point where I can hold the flat and side planks for 1 minute each.  My goal is to get to 2 minutes by the time I leave for my trip in 5 weeks.

BTW - Anybody know how to make all of this bigger on your screen?  If you do and could message me, I'd appreciate it.  It's getting more difficult to see what I'm typing, unless I lean in close to the monitor.  My cheaters don't help much because my monitor sits away from me so I have the surface of my desk in front of me to work on.  I have the same problem when I'm doing emails.  For whatever reason, I can't download - on any computer - the whatever it is I need to  make the print bigger in the emails (thank you, Suddenlink).  If I could just make what's on the screen bigger .  . . .

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Ran 4 in a toasty???? 20 this morning.  Got forced out because Henry had left and lots of guilt around.

Welcome back Posai - great pics, happy belated bdays, nice runs and walks inside and out.

Soup is ready - to quote mikeE - gotta go!

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

I'll refrain from comment on my towns snowplows...get's my BP up.

There's nothing like living on a road that the county doesn't plow to make you appreciate someone else doing the plowing!  Even if you have to shovel your driveway!  It's 3/4 mile from my house out to where the county plows - waaay too far to shovel.  Our plow truck had a flat tire when we came home from Baja, so we hiked in for about a week till we fixed the truck and plowed the road and driveway.

Our dirt roads are in good shape for running - just a light layer of snow, and not icy or slushy.  Yesterday I did 5 miles with the snow lightly falling - it was so beautiful!  I realized I've been taking walk breaks too much on the hills, so I decided to run up all the hills yesterday, however much I had to slow down, and it was hard, but fun!  Not that there's anything wrong with walk breaks, of course! (especially when running uphill in the snow at 9600 ft!)

Leslie, to make the print bigger on your computer, press CTRL and + at the same time.  Several ++ makes it even bigger, and just press CTRL and - to make it smaller again.

Dave, you're a good neighbor!  Do you still get karma points if you do a good deed with a bad attitude?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Dave, you're a good neighbor!  Do you still get karma points if you do a good deed with a bad attitude?

Doing it with a bad attitude and telling everyone what a good thing I did not only removes all points but leaves me in a negative point state.  But at least my neighbor didn't die on Monday and that was my only goal.

Jlynne, I'm officially signed up for the Half at Green Bay. Room is booked at the BW across from the Stadium.

Yay! Pasta party at my house the Friday before - bring your DW with you. I'd like to say it's nice we're both running the half this year, though you'll be done WAY sooner than I will

Thanks for the Monty Python clip Kevin. Love "The Holy Grail" and "Life of Brian."

Hey Amos - I tried your recipe yesterday but I think I screwed something up. They were really dry, and when I tried to cut them they just kind of fell apart. May have to experiment with the amounts. Tasty though.

A well deserved rest Ribs. You'll be better for it when you get home.

4 miles on the elliptical and 2 miles on the bike this morning. We had to call the rescue squad for a lady who fell in one of our locker rooms. Not good. She just had a hip replaced a couple of months ago....

Ribs, where are you staying in Grand Rapids? I'd heartily recommend the Amway Grand. Also good access to lots of local brewpubs, although I figure you more for a wine kinda guy.

I'm browsing and posting here using the Surface Pro 3 that we got ourselves for Christmas. This is one of the greatest gadgets we've bought in a long time (and we buy lots of gadgets!). It does a perfect job of replacing both an old, clunky notebook PC and an old, slow Android tablet. Now if I could only get it away from my DW more often...

Well, naturally my back seems to be OK today (thanks for the good wishes!). It's definitely one of those stealth conditions where it only starts hurting at a time when I have no idea what triggered it. Doing something obviously harmful like I did yesterday apparently doesn't faze it.

So all I need now are some decent conditions outside (coming this weekend) to finally get in a legitimate, non-TM run. Seems like a long time since I was out. Last year it was just as cold, but at least with the snow I got in quite a few good cross-country ski sessions. This could well be one of those winters where we never get the skis out of the closet.

I hope it's runnable where you are today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – we did have enough pizza – I even got to take some home, which pleased DS.

Dave59 – snowblower, snowblower, snowblower….

Slo – you probably look great in yoga pants….

Aamos – peppermint cookie chocolate bites, mmmmmm….

Once again, time got away from me this morning puttering around the house before work, so I didn’t have much time to run.  Also stayed on the TM because of the frigid temps.

4.2 miles for me this morning

DD has her band concert tonight after basketball practice.  That girl never stops!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Carolyn!  You're a sight saver!! 

I get to attend a webinar during my lunch hour - Same Sex Marriage and Estate Planning.  These usually aren't all that exciting in person, let alone on the 'net.  Hopefully I can stay awake . . . .  Do I get to count this as a working lunch hour?  Hmmm . . . . .

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - yesterday we had to attend a teleconference (not even a webinar) from 12-1:30pm about "Understanding the 1040, line by line."  Riveting....tomorrow we do Part 2 from 12-1:30 again.  At least the boss spring for lunch delivered in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hey Amos - I tried your recipe yesterday but I think I screwed something up. They were really dry, and when I tried to cut them they just kind of fell apart. May have to experiment with the amounts. Tasty though.

Do you use agave or honey for sweetener?  Try those, and up the smashed fruit.  Pumpkin puree is good.  I also lilke apple butter.   You might just put in some nut butter, too.

It's probably that dry cold y'all have up there.....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)