Masters Running

Friday 8/7/2015 (Read 32 times)

Dave59

Good Morning Folks?  What's Up?

I've been running a bit here and there.  Signed the papers on the WV condo a week ago.  I leave Michigan in a U-Haul truck on 8/19.

My daughter in the Chicago area, not to be outdone by her parents bought a house last week too. Her rent in St. Charles is very high, so she is getting a house about 20-30 miles further out of Chicago and her mortgage payment will be much less than the current rent.

In a reversal of roles, her house is bigger than our tiny condo so she is taking a bunch of our stuff for us.  Mostly the Christmas tree and decorations that won't fit where we are going.

Today was an easy 2 miles.  Just enough to get the blood flowing.  I hope to get back into the swing of things when the dust settles.

Lots of good reading here.  Congratulations on 150 Amy.  Sorry about people having kid problems.  Our biggest surprise was having an unexpected grandkid and having her around for 5 years.  But looking back that wasn't that bad a thing.

tselbs - Are you running any races this weekend or next?

mornin' dave.......................

[[[[[[jylnne]]]]]]

still Laughing at steveP's explanation about Why We Have Geese

==========

moved furniture around last night (and Paid for It today)

for a bed that's being delivered today

since

I won't be climbing stairs I have to sleep downstairs

that should be Fun...................n0t

............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!  Nice to see you Dave, safe trip to WV.  You'll have to scout out some races for us.  It's been a while since I was there for the Marshall Marathon.  (We Are Marshall!)

Well, I've run 12+ miles since my last post here, but judiciously distributed.  3+ warmup (ha!  with the H&H, who needs warmup?) last night, then 6 decent (sub 9s) miles with Speedsters.  3 and a bit more this am.

Hang in there, parents.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Roch - good photo, but gloves, really? What do you have tied around your waist? I am sure it is not a jacket.

Starr, it was in the low 50s at the start. I have a touch of Raynaud's syndrome and even with the gloves my fingertips were getting a bit numb while standing around (notice that the woman beside me started out in a jacket). I also had some arm warmers on that I slid down around my wrists after a few miles, but kept the gloves on instead of trying to stash them. The strap around my waist is for a small pouch that I use so I can carry my smartphone, pre-race power bar, some cash in case I want to buy something afterwards, etc.

Holly, no advice on your DD, but it did make me recall the fun I had with my DS playing Laser Tag, probably back when we were in Indian Guides.

Off to load up the Outback and head for Indiana with my bike. See y'all here later!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

My cats like to play Laser tag.   They run run run when we play it, so must be ok to mention.

roch, sent you a message.  NOT about running, but please read it anyway.  Have fun in IN.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!

Dave, good luck with the move!  I'm still thinking about the Freedom Run Marathon in W.Va. on October 10th - they also have a half and 10k - are you thinking about running it?  I believe Holly and Erika are going.  Anyone else?

Sorry about the kid troubles, Holly, Mike, and Jeanne.  Parenting is a tough job.  I'm lucky my DD was/is such a good kid!

I ran 7 miles yesterday around Laramie, WY, and might get in a short run this morning before driving my parents back to the Denver airport.  My Mom kind of drives me crazy, but it's been a good visit.  My folks wanted to watch the Republican debates last night - they're political junkies (and Democrats).  The debate was quite a circus!  But I guess I'll leave it at that - best not to discuss politics on a running forum!

Tomorrow I'm volunteering all day at a 100 mile race, so probably won't get a run in until after the last runner comes through my aid station.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and good luck to the racers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I didn't congratulate Aamos on that 150 because I'm still mad at her for beating me at that marathon in Omaha or wherever it was. Where was it anyway? Dave Selby was there and a cool bunch of us.

Starr, yes it needs a space between the two initials, just as if it were his name spelled out.  That said, spacing on things like plaques is not the same as spacing when you are typing, or typesetting, but the artist should use judgment to make a noticeable space between the two initials.

3.1 at easy pace with the Saint at the park. We set out to run 4 and both decided to bag it at 3.  Steamy morning.

Home all day while the Saint works at the yarn store and using my car, while hers is in for service.  Travis and Hudson are working in the garage painting Travis' Jeep!  Don't ask.   Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Travis and Hudson are working in the garage painting Travis' Jeep!  Don't ask.   Spareribs

Using a roller?  I also figured you'd have the punctuation answer.

Not much running this week while in Raleigh.  Tuesday I arrived at the fitness center to find that both TMs were out of order and someone on the elliptical.  Wednesday, I ended up reading much too late and bailed.  yesterday, i actually made it outside for about 2.5 miles.  It was at least 75° at 6am and boy did i drip.  My co-worker attending class had gone out for a few miles after class and when we met for dinner, the car thermometer read 100°   Better him than me.

Now several weeks behind at work after 3 days away.  Funny how that works.

Happy new condo, Dave.

Holly--no words of wisdom, just that I know your pain.  Very little about child rearing is easy, but I think daughters are more complicated.

Jlynne and Mike--ditto the above.  slightly different circumstances, but same general principles.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Remember that Travis is an artist, works in wood and metal.  He can do anything with his hands, and he has this really old Jeep he loves. But it's faded now, living here in TX, and what was once a deep blue now looks purple in some places.  Anyone else would get rid of it, but Jeep people are different from you and me, like rich people, as Fitzgerald said.

So little by little he's fixed a bunch of things, replaced parts etc., and is immensely proud of this Jeep.  About a month ago he told me he was going to repaint it with bedliner.  He removed all the exterior accessories, door handles, etc., and last night he and Hudson scraped and sanded it. So far today they've taped it meticulously and this afternoon they will paint it, with a sprayer. Hudson is working his tail off, but it's good bonding for the two of them, secluded in the garage all yesterday and last night, then all day today.  The Jeep will come out looking fine I'm sure.  But what a project.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bedliner?  That will be practically indestructible!  UV resistant, covers up any minor dips and dings, and HIGHLY original.   Hope they've got some good respirators, though--guessing some pretty good fumes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

My sympathies to all of you with kid problems.  Being childless I can only imagine how tough it is to see your offspring go through such struggles.

enkephalin have you thought about a career writing romance novels?  Just a thought, given your recent posts.  

Spareribs I remember working on cars as a teenager.  But nothing like your kids are up to!

Today was an elliptical day for me.  Tomorrow wacky distance race is 5.853 miles.   From here on in, the courses are all pretty hilly.  Plus, each week there is mile plus jump in distance.  I guess I will find out what kind of distance shape I am in.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I can relate somewhat to the parenting issues. We certainly went through some times with our boys, especially the younger one. Nothing like being in Boston and getting early a.m. calls from the neighbors about the outrageous party (ies) our son had. When we had our garage doors installed last year, one of the guys looked up at the house and said "I think I remember a really big party here a couple years ago." Yup, that would be our house.

We did a youth group lock in many years ago (DH and I, as chaperones or whatever we were supposed to be) at our church. It was pretty tame but those teenage girls can talk a lot. All. Night. Long.

So they're painting the entire exterior of the Jeep with bed liner?? Wow, that's one step below wrapping it in bubble wrap. Would love to see a picture of that when done!

Spent yesterday afternoon picking berries. Well, driving to and then looking for berries might be a better description. Almost 4 hours of hiking and scrambling up and down the powerline way up on a (very) big hill. This is the same area where the Gold Discovery Run starts, and I started up by Pedro Dome. Lots of bending, stooping and squatting/kneeling involved. My back is feeling it today. I hope I'm ok for tomorrow's half marathon because the weather is looking perfect for this race. After last year's wind, rain and mud, it'll be nice to have good conditions! No run yesterday, but I'll get out this afternoon for some easy miles.

Alaska now has 5.013 million acres burned in wildfires this summer. Ranks us 3rd for all time most acres burned. I think 2004 was the worst at just over 6 million. Good thing we've got a lot of acres....

I sympathize with you folks with parenting issues.  I can't really imagine how heart wrenching it must be to have a son or daughter making extremely poor decisions no matter what you do.

I did 3 hot miles on the TM.  It was 80F outside when I ran after work and I decided better to run on the TM with a fan blowing 80F air at me, than be outside with the bright sun beating down on me.

I hope to do 10 miles tomorrow and 5.6 miles on Sunday to hit 30 miles for the week.  Only if I don't feel any weird aches during these runs, else I will shut it down so that I don't create an injury.

House guest should be here soon for our 6th evening in a row together.  He's surprised I haven't tossed him out yet.  We picked blackberries last night - enough to make 3 pies.  They were good, but will be even better with the vanilla ice cream I bought.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

uhmmmm, blueberries, blackberries. .

but three pies for Mr. BE

He doesn't stand a chance.

good job enke.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Ok, very late to the party, but I brought fresh peach and blueberry pie for dessert..

Happy racing and romancing and enjoying life at it's fullest, folks...remember...we only got one chance at it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard