Masters Running

Sunday Cinco de Mayo runs.... (Read 55 times)

C-R

Wow Bill. Glad things are ok.

Nice AG Erika (I missed that too).

Gordon - we all have those races. Get the ankle better and you'll hammer the next one.

It's great to hear about the meet ups. Super cool.

Weather cooperated but bathroom isn't. Back at it,

Good luck on the new job Mike!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

I was a one person cheering team for almost 5 hours, so between all the hootin' and hollerin' and constant hand-clapping, my palms and throat are sore.  There aren't a lot of people who walk out on the course at this race - okay, basically nobody does; they all sit at the end - so people appreciated me

Leslie - have I told you lately how awesome you are?  I sure hope we can run a race together someday...

Mariposai - how wonderful is that?  Beautiful family, including the "extra" son...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Hi Mary!!!

Love negative splits

Kudos on watching Catwoman, Holly. Bravo.

Thank goodness for false alarms Breger.

Woo Hoo Enke!!

You keeping AG sekrits Erika???

Yikes Gordon..You may want to RICE that ankle.

Happy Tammy meet up!! Sweet

aahhh, Bloomsday.

After finally finishing DD32's cherry wood stool, Tag and I hit the road for 4.8 miles. As I've mentioned before, the main road past here is closed. The road was established in 1837 and a nice curve on a steep hill may have made navigating easier for horse drawn wagons. There's been a great number of crashes with vehicles going 55+ mph. The curves are being straighten out. The highway has become desolate and we've enjoyed woods running without roots, rocks and sand. Today, 5 vehicles sped through the 3 road closed signs. The lead truck was hauling a horse trailer. When they got to the "Oh Sh** There Ain't No Road" section of closed road, they turned around. Ding dong with the horse trailer jack knifed the darn thing. I really hope the trailer was empty.

We celebrated Roman's 1st birthday today!! The little bugger leaned 1/2 way accross the table and took a huge bite out of his cake. Noah was very happy to help blow out the candle. His Bio Mom has a chance to see him tomorrow. Those who are inclined to prayer, she needs them.

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, is your neighbor who you ran with today the one you did the marathon with?  Congrats on getting back out there together!

Erika, congrats on 1st AG!  Sorry about the snow and ice - we still have a lot of snow too.

Nice racing Jay! Congrats on 3rd AG.

Byll - you should schedule that stress test sooner rather than later.  My DH had a stress test about a month ago, and they sent him straight to the hospital for cardiac catheterization!  He had a stent put in the main coronary artery, and he's doing fine --  but not something to put off.

Stumpy, good luck fixing the foot problems!  I sure hope it doesn't derail your marathon plans.

Enke, woo hoo for you!  10 miles - yay!  You get a hero award for sure!

Nice 5k for Deez, too!  How's that sweet granddaughter doing?

Hi Camille!  Nice to see you posting.  Where are you from?

Gordon, sorry your race wasn't what you hoped, and bummer about the ankle, but a 2:06 is pretty darn good in my book!

How cool that Leslie and Tammy met today!   No pictures?   And I'm anxiously waiting to hear how Tammy did at her marathon today!

Sweet picture of the Posie clan!  Sounds like a crowded race but you made the best of it!  How soon does DS1 leave for his Peace Corps assignment?

It was cool and overcast today, just perfect weather for a trail run!  I ran 20 miles in Centennial Cone park. It's lower down the canyon from where I live, and the snow is mostly gone down there.   I hadn't planned on going quite that far, but I was feeling strong on the hills and it was such a nice day that I just kept running!  My next race is in 4 weeks, and it's "only" a marathon, so I'll probably do one more 20+ miler before then.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Leslie - have I told you lately how awesome you are?  I sure hope we can run a race together someday...

+1

wild--I don't remember you saying anything about your DH having to go in for a stent.  That must have been scary for both of you.

Yeah--didn't Tammy say she would be without Internet for awhile?  I can't wait that long.  And I couldn't find any results, yet, either.

It really was nice to see Mary posting this morning.

Steve, Roman has been added to my prayer list....and I'm going to have a long time to pray every morning with my new commute.

I spent he morning moving Eric into his new apartment, then went to our bowling banquet.  We just got back and I think I'm going to go right to bed...well...I guess I have some crunches to do first.  A challenge is a challenge, after all.

Okay--that's it for me--see ya.

Mariposai

.  We just got back and I think I'm going to go right to bed...well...I guess I have some crunches to do first.  A challenge is a challenge, after all.

Must you remind me just now after I ate that I still need to do them crunches?? Surprised

Bregarcito, I am so glad your ER visit was a false alarm!

Wildchild, DS#1 will depart to Macedonia in September. We will find out the exact date  in a couple of weeks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks, everyone. Nice way to start the year. Camille, it's a good thing you're coming back later. This spring has been really cold with snow that just never seems to end. This week should be the end of it though, with 40s and 50s for the highs. Hope there's no flooding.

Nice job on the 10 miles, Enke! It is good to get back into double-digit runs. Like Paavo said a bit ago, it seems like the double digit runs are a struggle and they used to feel so easy.

I'm sure they appreciated you, Leslie! Those more rural courses can get kind of lonely if you're running alone. If nothing else, it's always nice to get confirmation that you're not off course! Glad you got to meet Tamster... is that really your first RA meet up?

Gordon! Hope the ankle is ok, and good job on getting done even with the fall. You're another one that I know is very speedy when in shape. It'll come back soon (but seems like a long process!)

Greta job on the Bloomsday run, Mariposai! So nice that your whole family (with additions) can meet up to do this race. But wow, a 30,000+ 12k? That's huge... I hope it's chip timed!

Today was much more pleasant than yesterday, even with the wind. Amazing the difference bright sunshine makes instead of grey overcast skies. It was in the low 40's when I headed out for my run, and my legs were tired from the start. I'm not used to speedwork, which is what that 5k pretty much was. I had a couple thoughts of turning around at the 5 mile mark, then at 5.5 (had to cross a 4-lane road to continue), but decided to keep going to my stretch goal of an intersection at 6.6 miles. Headwind all the way, which sucked, but I was looking forward to the tailwind on the way back. Problem is, even the tailwind couldn't convince my tired legs to go back up the hills to home without stopping here and there. I think I got dehydrated, too, cuz I just had that lifeless feeling in my legs at times. Bleh. Oh well, made it through! Garmin said 13.3 miles but I think it gave me credit for an extra .1 mile. Glad to have that done. Finally, a long run!

TammyinGP

the highlight of my day was meeting Leslie. She was a gem and so enthusiastic and I absolutely LOVED meeting her. I wish we lived closer because this is a lady I would love to run trails with.

the marathon itself was not what I hoped for today. I had a good 18 mile run or so, and even at mile 20ish, I thought I might PR if I was able to run the last 6 w/o stopping. But I think i did more walking than running. A variety of different issues late in the race for me. needless to say, it was my 2nd worst time. I don't know the official time, but my garmin was 4:39 I think. I stopped at parts, couldn't keep moving, wandered off into the campground to get off the course and gather myself. First time I've had to fight back tears because I felt so incredibly defeated.  I'll try and share more tomorrow after I can put things in perspective and remember the good parts of the race. right now the bad is foremost in my mind.

David on the other hand rocked his meet. Broke school record in 3000m (10:32) by 5 seconds. and their 4x400 relay team broke school record by .02. Plus, he also found out Friday he got accepted into So. Oregon University "The Academy" program this summer. a precollege program for middle schoolers. Only 100 get in, so he was pretty happy about that.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the Bloomsday photo.  I loved Bloomsday 2012 on Roger Bannister Day (4min/59sec on May 6, 1956) with all of you too. Bloomsday’s Doomsday is the only hill I’ve ever heard inside of a marathon or other run honored with its own intermediate timing mats at bottom/top. More photos and RR if possible.  Thanks.

tammy - sorry about disappointing time.  You have been running so well, I thought it would be a PR too.  Probably warm temperatures and not enough hydration.  See, e.g., what happened to Gordon.  How many pit stops?  Hope we can get leslie up here sometime too in the next couple of years.  <<<(WhiteRiver/WhiteRiver). Wonderful update on David.   Looking to photos and more tomorrow, if possible. David too.

In the meantime, for me, after only 14.5 miles of running since January 12, I couldn't be happier with 26.2 miles in 6:54:48 at the Tacoma City Marathon as an auspicious start for the new running leaf <<<(training/training)>>> I'm going to turn over on Roger Bannister Day 2013 tomorrow.  For some reason, I've been celebrating that day ever since thirteen years before it happened.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Gordon! Hope the ankle is ok, and good job on getting done even with the fall. You're another one that I know is very speedy when in shape. It'll come back soon (but seems like a long process!)

+1

Tammy - sorry you didn't have the time you wanted.  I agree with Tet that it sound like dehydration issues.  Still, there are many who would love to have a 4:39 - please don't feel like that is a defeat.

Carolyn - nice 20-miler, only a week out from your 50k - you are in top shape!  Also, that is surprising about your husband, especially since he is trim and athletic (rock climber) and a healthy eater.  Is he okay now?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....