Masters Running

Tuesday, 6.23.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I haven't had time to read the posts from the last few days, but I'll ketchup eventually.

We were in NJ for a niece's high school graduation party over the weekend. The 5-hr trip took us 7.5 hours on Friday because of heavy NY metro area traffic - sweet. Otherwise, the weekend was fun, and we got home Sunday evening. (Sorry I missed your messages, Stumpy.) Yesterday, a group of us spent from 8:30 till 3:00 installing a 20' X 10' rain garden, including underground plastic piping connected to a downspout to capture roof run-off. The finished garden looks great, but it sure was exhausting work. We're expecting some potentially-severe storms today, so we'll see how well the garden manages the storm water.

5.3 easy RW miles this morning in slightly muggy, foggy 61F temps. I'm still fatigued from the garden work, but wanted to get some muscles moving, and do a thorough stretching afterward.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I'm still feeling a bit tired and dragging my butt around so I skipped the hard hill workout today and opted for 4 miles around the neighborhood.  After the storms blew through last night it left us with a comfortable, breezy day today.  We were spared from the worst of it, but there were a couple tornados somewhere in Michigan.

Tomorrow is hazardous waste drop off day for our area.  I have a bunch of stuff I don't want to move to WV so I made an appointment and I am looking forward to getting rid of it all.  Then Thursday we get our roof cleaned so it will look better for potential buyers.  And on Friday we are getting a "pre-inspection" done on the house which is also supposed to help us look better to the buyers.  I just hope the inspector doesn't find too much wrong.

And as soon as the inspection is done, I'll hop in my car and drive to Charlevoix.  Usually I like to mock the long lines of cars heading north for the weekend, but for once I will join them.

Saturday is another open house.  I am thankful not to be here for that.

Slo

Heya!

Nice 5.5 mile run this morning following the severe weather we had early yesterday evening.

The storm that went over our town produced 6 to 7 tornado's after it crossed the river. It's been a wild ride these last few weeks.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry for the message saturation, Jay.  DW got a call from DD while i was out running in the rain and wanted to meet somewhere for brunch.  Since Portsmouth is halfway between, and I've wanted to try the dive you speak so fondly of, i thought i'd try to find it out.  If you did tell me in the past, it really didn't sink in, as Hoaty's did not sound familiar.  We ended up at a very nice spot in downtown Portsmouth (the Friendly Toast for anyone in  the area) and then enjoyed playing tourist and wandering about.  So much so, i ended up donating $15 to the parking office.

Speaking of running in the rain, i would like to propose a variation on Two Cat's "never run in the rain"© with my own "Always run in the warm rain"©.  it was in the mid 60s on sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed my 10K in the gentle rain.  My shoes are now just about dry.

4 miles this morning and it sort of felt like i had been running in the rain--dripping off fingers and nose.

The meetup in MI sounds like it's going to be a blast.  Very Jealous.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'  ....can only just say about 6 and a quarter this am .......have to hurry....oh oh......can't keep it in..........<<< Pete Rose!>>>...  here's to you Ray Fosse and I'm out.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Sorry for the message saturation, Jay.  DW got a call from DD while i was out running in the rain and wanted to meet somewhere for brunch.  Since Portsmouth is halfway between, and I've wanted to try the dive you speak so fondly of, i thought i'd try to find it out.  If you did tell me in the past, it really didn't sink in, as Hoaty's did not sound familiar.  We ended up at a very nice spot in downtown Portsmouth (the Friendly Toast for anyone in  the area) and then enjoyed playing tourist and wandering about.  So much so, i ended up donating $15 to the parking office.

Speaking of running in the rain, i would like to propose a variation on Two Cat's "never run in the rain"© with my own "Always run in the warm rain"©.  it was in the mid 60s on sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed my 10K in the gentle rain.  My shoes are now just about dry.

Both my son and DIL have worked at the Friendly Toast over the years-the owners opened a similarly named restaurant in Cambridge Ma. a few years ago and it gets glowing reviews.

I'm getting to be more like Two Cat re rain. I was scheduled to run the BAA 10K on Sunday. When I woke the rain was torrential and, since I had a free entry, I decided not to run (as did 2000 other runners).  Ran a short one in the afternoon and still got my shoes wet-but they dried after one day.

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, today in the sports news there was a piece about having found records of Rose's betting on the Reds while he was playing. I have no idea why that was news, given that he has admitted to doing same.

Heck of a 200's workout Mike E.  You have lots of speed. Winning the mile will be based on stamina.  What workouts do you have in your weekly plan that attend to that component? Just curious.

The Saint and I ran on the dirt track today, which is like running on a beach, very slow, but I got 4.2 in and she got 6.2 in and we were happy with that.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Poor Dexter dog has apparently torn his ACL.  The vet gave me some doggie ibu to give him and we are supposed to make him rest as much as possible, carry him up and down stairs, lift him to the sofa, bed, etc.  His sister Daisy had the same thing last year and has apparently made a complete recovery, so we are hoping for the best for Dexter.

On top of this, Max the cat apparently has a cold. I didn't know until I looked it up that cats do indeed get kitty colds.  His eyes are watery and his nose is running and he sneezes the most bizarre-sounding sneeze.  However, he seems in good enough spirits and he is eating well, so I am waiting to see if it clears up or gets worse.

6 miles today in 78 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Spoiler alert, this post is about sports:

Ribs: never, ever as a player, I think you have that wrong.  "After years of denial, Rose admitted in his 2004 autobiography that he bet on games, but only while he was manager." And as recently as April, he told a radio show he "never bet as a player: That's a fact."  "

--> hiding behind....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

My DW and I have been pretty busy here in the Pacific north-west.  We arrived at the Mariposai residence on Sunday where we were treated to a dinner fit for a king (and a very fat king at that!).  There were more wonderful dishes to eat than you can imagine.  The next day she led my DW and I along a very long trail up to the top of a very tall mountain.   (A little trip that included several steams that required either shoe removal or subsequent wet shoe hiking, your pick.)  At the top there was a spectacular view.  Below is a picture of Mariposai (right), my DW (middle) and me (left) at the top.  The background is what you see on the other side of the ridge once you crest it.

Mariposai has been a wonderful host and we are fortunate to have a few more days to spend with her and her DH Easy Pacer.

Oh yes running.  A total of 6 miles with Mariposai this morning.  We went along part of her Orchards in Bloom race course.  Along the way we stole borrowed indulged in a couple of cherries growing on some of the local trees.  I am pretty sure those are the freshest picked cherries I have ever had!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jealous, TwoCat, I'm jealous!

23.25 miles on the bike this morning as a bit of cross-training, and I could feel that it's been a couple of weeks since I last rode reasonably fast on a bike.

Keep on runnin' everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, thanks for that.  I was not aware.  This morning on a talk radio show the host was talking about the implications here and I wasn't following what was new about all this.  An interesting sidelight to it all was that his behavior was dangerous because of the information obtained by gamblers on the games in which Rose did NOT bet on the Reds. I had not considered that.  But while the betting was wrong, in my opinion it was a far worse crime to bet as the manager than as a player, as managers make decisions regarding who plays and tactical issues during a game.  Still, cheating is cheating and I'm in the "no Hall, no reinstatement" camp anyway.

Twocat, what a trip. And yes, she is quite a lady, hostess, runner, cook, whatever she wants to do.  Spareribs

Wow, gorgeous photo Twocat of the scenery and the women folk!

Roch - glad you enjoyed your trip to Canada.  Yes, the 401 - pretty much the reason I will never move back there.

I ran 4.3 miles this morning.  Cool morning temperatures made it so enjoyable.  Knee getting better all the time.

In a few hours, we will be going to the cabin for the rest of the week, with temperatures predicted to go into the 90s by the weekend.  I picked a great time to take a week off!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hello everyone. Browsed through the last few days threads.

Congrats Erika on the A.G. win!

Training going well--I'm still in the 'easy portion' - 2nd week in. Got my 6 miles in on Sunday morning. Went pretty slow--but mostly I was being cautious since I hadn't run that far in a few years. I didn't lose any pace throughout, not really worrying about speed, but it is nice to know I had some left in the tank.

Ran 3 at lunch outside - it was hot. I thought I was crashing bad, but my last mile was my fastest - still slow but a good sign I think.

Haven't really lost any more weight the last 2 weeks--but I'm not worrying too much as I feel my fitness is improving with all the walking/running. I did take a good fall walking the dog. Was on a sidewalk at about 10:30pm on Friday. andthought I was stepping on a slightly wet patch of sidewalk , but it was coated in mud, really fell good--hurt my shoulder a bit, and was caked in dark smelly/mud sewage--whaterver. Luckily I was close to home.

Hope all the dads had a happy Father's Day. I did. My daughter (5 years old) gets really into it. She wrapped a bunch of stuff up from around the house. So I got a remote control, and some eyeglass wipes amongst other things. I couldn't ask for anything more--she gets so excited. My 4 year old son loves me in his own way--he's just more understated Smile

((((dexter)))

(((dave))

=============

yeah,

would have posted sooner

but Old Hiking Buddy had me on the phone (1 1/2 hours) to see how I was doing

the Answer was ''Fine''

........except I needed to pee after the first 45-minutes/////

..............but I digress........

40-min poolrun, no belt, closed fists, deep end only

and a BikeRide Tomorrow..

..........Getting in Shape for Surgery

.........I know how those Aztecs felt before they walked them up the steps,

and

then rolled 'em down after the ceremony

.............good running guys.........

.this retirement thing probably HAS a downside, I just haven't hit it yet.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....