Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - May (Read 41 times)

Hey Ev ~

Arla - I have some specific stretches and strengthening for the calves and arches I'm doing and will need to continue to do.  The issue was that I pronate a bit, especially on the left (I never knew this), and the Inov8's provided no support.  If you take one of those shoes, you can bend it in half really easy.  Over time, it just became too much and my AT's decided to cry "Uncle."

So after a long talk with Karen last night and with my PT today, I'm going to start running after work so I can run on dirt instead of road, at least for awhile.  The only reason I haven't done this before is I don't like running after work.  I'm tired and I just want to go home.  But if means less stress on ye ole bod (which it does), it's what I need to do.  So unless it's a short run (like 3 miles), I only be doing cross or strength/core training in the a.m.   The Hub shouldn't mind too much since he goes to a 5:15 p.m. AA meeting almost every day and doesn't get home 'til around 6:30.  The big question:  Who's cookin' dinner?!?!?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mr. Crockpot?  Since I have an almost hour drive home, I REALLY hate RAW.  not to mention that it's always hotter then, too.  I hope it works for you--you're a lot more dedicated than I.

Hi everyone else.  Quick break from work in NC.  it's up to almost 90 today and I'm not adjusting well.  It was 40 when I did my last run on Tuesday for crummie's sake!  out early  tomorrow morning, f or sure.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

90??? Weren't people just complaining about the snow?  Oh wait.  That was Wildchild on the daily. Wink

PS - I'll be incommunicado for 4 days.  Y'all are gonna miss me, aren't you?

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hey Ev ~

The issue was that I pronate a bit, especially on the left (I never knew this), and the Inov8's provided no support.  If you take one of those shoes, you can bend it in half really easy.  Over time, it just became too much and my AT's decided to cry "Uncle."

Leslie my miracle at shoe is the Pearl Izumi sycro fuel with just a little pronation control. They made a trail shoe which I love. They came out with a whole new line but still a lot of old  trail syncro fuels out there on discount. May be worth a try. They have a plastic insert in the heel which I think was the key. I am running fine in La Sportiva c-lites but they are very narrow, probably not good for you.

Arla nice racing even though you may have pushed a little to much but worth it to chick that dude. I got behind a couple of 30- something fitness divas in my half at Palm Springs. One was a little faster and 2 were doing a run walk thing and sped up when I got close or would pass me and cut in directly in front of me and STOP, they obviously were trying to run a pace unsustainable for them. With about a 2 to go the one gal did it again  for the 3rd time and I either had to crash or bump her, heck with it not very gentlemanly but I was getting tired of it and dropped my shoulder. Shocked her a bit but she never caught back up. Just couldn't stand being passed by some old fat guy. To me it is the same, I admire gals like our group and is an honor to get chicked by someone faster and fitter. Just like when I was rodeoing and the rodeo girls that lived to rope, gotta admire that. I don't have much use for macho dudes or fitness divas that can't stand it to be passed by someone faster and fitter regardless of sex.

Joe miles creeping up, great cross-training with the r-ball, getting the boat ready to put in. Life is Good!!

Ev sounds like you are recovering nicely from your half any races on the schedule now?

Stumpy bi-polar weather across the country seems to be the norm, one night it is freezing and 2 days later over 100. Lynda and I been trying to get out there early.

Hiyas to the rest of the gang.

One hour of actual corn planting left but will take most of the morning to get it done with moving and trying to run out of expensive inputs at the same time we get done. Will start spraying herbicides next week,  and start to prep the ground for our Pinto beans, so will keep busy. If the pintos turn out well I would share some with you all as the taste fresh out of the field is nothing like you have had before.

My good friend and neighbor had emergency heart valve replacement, so we have been helping him with part of his farming. He is a big athletic guy and was always very active, by chance they caught it in a test or the results would have not been good, a genetic thing, More work for us but very satisfying when your efforts are appreciated.

On the run side got in 8 Sun and over 5 since, looking forward to getting back to more normal mileage and decreasing the circumference of my fat tractor butt ;-).

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Hope Leslie is enjoying her break...

Stumpy - that sounds like a tough transition! It's always tough those first couple weeks when it's hot, but for it to happen so fast! Love the avatar.

Jim - love how one hour for you turns into many more with all the prep and what-not. I'm confused about the pintos, aren't they still dry beans? Anyway, I love 'em, so hoping you have a good batch. Cooked up with lots of onions and ham...mmm....then make the leftovers into refried beans with lots more onion and garlic and just a little bacon fat...aahhhh...

4 x 1000m on the track tonight, nailed my paces and felt great. Wish all the track workouts would go like that.

Ex runner

Mmmmm!  I love beans!!!  We eat a lot of beans around this house.

Jim - You're a good friend.  And I don't blame you for getting irritated with the gals.  At the Ave of the Giants Marathon two weeks ago, three 10k walks were spread out in the middle of the road, forcing the runners go around them.  They had absolutely no idea the problem they were causing.

5 miles at the McKay Tract this evening.  All went well, but I've decided to not run my 4 tomorrow so as to not push things, and because we're leaving at 6:30 in the morning and I  don't want to get up at 3:30 to get my run in.  Selfish, I know. Wink

Okay - It's almost 10:00.  Gotta hit the hay.  See you all on the flip side.  Have fun and stay safe ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - still here! Have fun on your trip.

Similar to the always-popular three-abreast walker problem, there's a problem on the track. Most people do their intervals in lanes one and two. For jog breaks between intervals, or plain ol' jogging, or walkers, there's a sign asking you to stay to the outer lanes. Like anything else there are always people who ignore the signs. Hey, reading's not for everyone. Yesterday it was two women in jeans (in 90 degrees!) strolling in the inner lanes. A minor annoyance, until you're a few intervals into your workout and starting to hurt. The best was one early am, when it was still dark, I almost stepped on a guy who was laying down and doing situps in lane one!! Not sure what he was thinking, but he was lucky I wasn't a fast male runner.

Heading to the local running shop for Thursday night shop runs. It's 3 mi round trip to the shop and I should be able to find someone doing an easy 3. Sort of an easy 1.5 + 3 + 1.5.

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stuck at the plant down in NC while the civil guys build me a bigger pad for all my gear that came in bigger than I was told.  We were SUPPOSED to be in the middle of switching it out at the moment.  But that's not happening until Monday--which makes the schedule interesting.  I'm leaving on Thursday to go to a wedding in Chicago, so will be sticking one of our junior engineers with duty that could stretch into Memorial day weekend.  Seniority does have a few advantages.

One of the few positives is that I won't be working on Sunday as planned, so I hope to sneak out for something that I HOPE resembles a long run.  Which at this point seems to be more than 3 miles.

For some reason, I very rarely mind getting chicked.  Wink Of course, where I finish, it happens very regularly.  The way I figure it, where they finish has no effect on me and the view improves immensely .

Jim--good thing the days are getting longer.  Now you just need to figure out how to get to 26, 27 hours along with the daylight.  Hope your neighbor comes out OK and good on you for helping out.  Good neighbors are a blessing.

Arla--never underestimate the depth of obliviousness in the population.

Hope Leslie's having fun tearing up San Jose.

Forgot to read the first page before I started, so Hi Ev, Carol, Joe and everyone else that pops in.  Have to pretend to work now.

Top 'O the World!

Greetings Fine Folks!!!

We're doing monthly's now? (that sounds kinda weird) Clown

I did a skim of the postings....enough to be reminded of just how long it's been since I've been in here! Blush Wow!

Leslie (Hugs!) & sometimes it isn't just about "not getting more than you can handle," it's about strength training. Someone once used training for a marathon (or ultra) comparison or the "how to eat an elephant" - one bite at a time! But it is human nature to look down the road that we "think" we need to do & get overwhelmed by it. Perspective & attitude can really affect the journey.

Arla -  nice racing! & running... I have a friend who has some shorts that say "chicked" on the butt! Wink  & my DH doesn't seem to mind being chicked - if he's having a great day & she's having a better one, well that's just great fun!

Jim - I always think I'm BUSY, until I read your posts....kinda puts everything into perspective for me Wink  glad you guys are doing well...I keep trying to send you some rain! Have some snow going on in the high country again this morning...Give Dessa a hug for me! Raid is on hiatus from running for a few days - not sure what the dork did - appears to have a bruised foot. Can't find anything, but doesn't yet look vetable?

Joe - Sounds like life is in cruise mode for you! Nice! Smile BBQ grills in the bay? You should just put snow on 'em like we do. I think they look better that way!

Stumpy - Ugh! I hate heat transitions!!! Hopefully you'll get some cooler weather up in Chicago - & the opportunity to get out in it!

Hey Ev! Wink

Carol - (Hugs to you too!) So sorry about your friend!  That's major sucky! You are such a rare & good friend!! Smile  ~ sounds like you too need a beach & some cabana boys! Or a pretty canyon to go wandering through.... Wink

I got to meet OM ( & Wildchild & I can't remember Lori's handle) a cpl of wks ago for lunch in Boulder! Smile  The other ladies of the Colorado Marathon were out hiking the canyon (typical marathon recovery Wink )

Well, I still say my life is much like a soap opera - lots of things happen on any given day, but overall, it's always pretty much the same story!

We're still running & working. Grandkids are getting big! Oldest will be 14 in a few wks!!! I'm on the computer a bit lately sorting out my event schedule for the Summer. Possibly big changes to a couple - life's progressions I think. We're not signed up for many races in advance as yet...trying to train: run longer, work in some core stuff, cycle, etc. in prep for doing more as our schedule allows...we do have a mud run next wknd - only a 5 miler w/obstacles & a bunch of 30 yr olds? (idiots). Chewing on a cpl of trail marathons btwn June & August, (this could be a bit overly ambitious as our long runs aren't really that long right now)  of course TransRockies - Doug is going to work/run that ...there's a few folks who do that & he sort of did two years ago. I'll probably only run the crew day again (the easy 14 miler Big grin) & debating which 50K (100K for Doug) for Sept. & of course, several of us are doing Moab again in Nov.  That one is my nemesis!! But, OMG is that a tough/gorgeous course!

All this chatter about injuries, support shoes, orthotics, etc. ties in with a conversation with a coach that I went to a book signing for the other  night....& what I'm reading in his book makes sense to me & I think may help with all of these issues.  Eric Orton, Chris McDougall's coach in "Born to Run" has a book out, "The Cool Impossible" & he's doing the book signing tour. He advocates training strong feet & legs & proper run form as a way to avoid injury in the first place. Preventative PT? "The goal is not to run bare foot, the goal is to run strong & properly, with awareness. The shoes are irrelevant."  So, I'm reading & going to implement what he's saying.. Will let you know how that goes.

I sort of was that oblivious runner yesterday....I get into my own head & cease to pay attention to the external in moments, which is something I should NOT do on a beautiful Sunday! The trails are so busy this time of year....but, I was focused on my footing on the trail - some washouts/debris from last wknd's rains - didn't hear a cpl of cyclists a cpl of times...one of those I did have earbuds in, but was more focused elsewhere, but the other, nope, just didn't hear him. Quiet bike in soft sand, no announcement...I had moved to the left side of the trail due to footing & he blew by me on the left! Good thing he wasn't a large ferocious beast!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

stumpy - seems to me that a lot of you guys like getting chicked, so I guess it's a conspiracy and they're letting us pass...hmm...Evil Hope you got more than 3 in for your long run.

Mtn!!! Be careful out there! Regarding getting your feet strong, it does seem that going to progressively more flexible shoes has been a lifesaver for me, at this point I run in NB Minimus Trails or similar maybe once a week to keep up the foot strength.

ev - hope you didn't get near a tornado over the weekend. *shudder*

Tough, tough workout from Dr. Daniels yesterday: 2 mi easy, 5 x 5 min tempo pace with 1 minute jog breaks, then another hour easy. The last couple of tempo repeats were a little tough, although I did do them a little too fast. The hour easy after all that was a slog, more than a minute slower per mile than normal, but I got it done. Have some more like that this training cycle, hope they're not all this awful!

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Damn, you're onto us.  Oh well, it's a conspiracy that's been around a lot longer than I have.

A little over 9 miles on one of the nice Greenway trails that Charlotte has been nice enough to provide.  Right at about 10 minute pace.  So happy with the distance and pace, although I think I MAY have gone a mile or so further than would have been smart (not that it usually matters).  The previously sore foot felt fine, but the AT on the other was a little twingy.  Foot propped on an ice bag while enjoying breakfast and the Sunday paper and things feel pretty good.

going into 12 hour days while the electricians feverishly work towards being done on Friday and not having to work on the weekend.  It's going to be tough to get up early enough and still be at the plant by 7 when we're lucky to be back at the hotel by 9pm.  I know, Jim, that sounds like a vacation.  But us mere mortals aren't quite as used to that kind of schedule.

I'm back.  And so happy to see that Cindy popped her head in!

Arla - Loved your open letter to your students on FB.  That gave me a good chuckle.  And that workout sounds tough!

Stumpy - Sounds like things are improving with the foot, but don't get overly excited about it.  We want you healthy and whole for that marathon.

Had a good time at conference, but as with all things, it was nice to get home.

I went to Forward Motion Sport in Danville on the way down to San Jose on Thursday and worked with Roberta to find a stability shoe.  What a wonderful woman!!  We chatted liked crazy, and she spent well over an hour with me working to find the right shoe.  I sure wish we had a store like this in Humboldt County.  I came away with a road shoe - the Brooks Adrenaline GTS Pro (size 11!!!).  If this works out, I'll get the trail shoe and see how that goes.

I tell ya, it's hard transitioning from a neutral shoe to a stability shoe.  My tendons, et al, are going haywire, and it has finally gotten through my very thick head that this is going to take quite a bit of time and I have to be very, very patient.  The biggest problem is where the stability shoes (and the orthos when I tried to wear them) hit me in the back part of my arch (especially on the left) and the resulting issues from that.  There ain't no overnight fix, and I can be patient or I can quit running all together.   . . . . . guess I'll pick patient. Black eye  I've been reading about chi running, and a lot of it makes very good sense.  I worked on a couple of the exercises over the weekend, and I can definitely see how this could definitely be a benefit for me.

However, since I've finally come to grips with how long it's going to take me to transition to the new shoes, I won't be running at the training camp this upcoming weekend, but I will be volunteering all three days (which should be fun), I won't be running Mt. Hood in July, and I more than like won't be running Headlands in September.  Boo hoo, but whatcha gonna do about it?  Suck it up and move on.  That's whatcher gonna do about it. Smile

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ev--I see that there has been a massive tornado in OK.  Sure hope that you were no where near it.  Also hope the fact that they haven't reported any deaths is a good thing.

Leslie--not that it means a whole lot, but I have until recently used only the adrenaline GTS.  now I'm mostly in the Pure Flow, but still have a pair in rotation.

Ev--I see that there has been a massive tornado in OK.  Sure hope that you were no where near it.  Also hope the fact that they haven't reported any deaths is a good thing.

Ev has been in my thoughts, as well.  Hope he and his family are safe and sound.

Stumpy - The Brooks are comfortable, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to.  Especially the freaking size.  When I get into the trail shoes, wonder how many times I'm going to stub my toe. Roll eyes

Well, I had the best of intentions re exercising after work today, but as I was getting ready to leave, my boss came into my office, we started talking about some activity that had happened while Denise and I were at conference, and long story not so short - 99.999% sure I have to find another job. Even though the law partnership broke up and my boss (Lisa) went out on her own in 2012, all five of the attorneys own the building we are in and there's a significant mortgage on it.  A company approached them last week about buying the building, and if everything stays as positive as it sounds like it is, the sale will happen.  From what she told me tonight, she's been trying to decide if she wants to continue as a sole practitioner, if she wants to be an employee in another office on a part-time basis, or if she wants to quit all together.  If she stays a sole practitioner or goes in with another law firm P/T, she will be cutting her practice down to the point she only needs one secretary, and she's always been very, very clear since I started working there that Denise would be who she'd take with her.  The fact that this offer on the building came forward is forcing her to make a decision.

I always knew this was a possibility.  She's felt for a long time that her family has taken a back seat to her work and she doesn't want to do that anymore, and I completely understand.  It doesn't, however, take away the anxiety I am now feeling of having to find another job, especially since I live in an area where (1) jobs are few and far between and (2) good jobs as a legal secretary are even fewer and farther between.  I know God doesn't bring more on us than we can take, but with some other things going on in our life right now . . . wow.   Wow.  All I can do is take this one step at a time and pray about it.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Naivety on my part--51 dead and climbing.  should have realized blocks and blocks of homes vaporized like that does not lead to good things.  Still thoughts and prayers to those affected.

Leslie--sorry to hear of YOUR tornado in life.   Afraid I can't offer much except good thoughts your way.  Maybe whoever's buying the building can make you part of the deal?  Best I can do--hang in there.